Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think this is the first time I'll watch the anime in order to actually understand the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Ok, I'm really bored and watching the first YuGiOh series and I'm wondering, I don't remember anything past Battle City and that whole virtual world where they fight Zombie Exodia, are there any particularly good arcs after that or should I skip to GX then?

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
Speaking of card battle anime, I thought I'd pose a question:

Which annoys you less:
A supporting character who (in terms of the card game stuff) only cheers on the protagonist(s), or a supporting character who does play, but always loses (or usually loses) to anyone of consequence?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

ImperialGuard posted:

Which annoys you less:
A supporting character who (in terms of the card game stuff) only cheers on the protagonist(s), or a supporting character who does play, but always loses (or usually loses) to anyone of consequence?

This is a hard question. I guess it would depend on how likeable the character is, and how the other characters view them. If they're supposed to be good at the game but always worf, then that's terrible. But I feel like you could have a decent character who was a newbie at the game or something and usually just cheered the hero on, but was forced into a match with consequences which (s)he subsequently lost. My opinion of the character would depend mostly on context, and viewer expectations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Silento posted:

But I feel like you could have a decent character who was a newbie at the game or something and usually just cheered the hero on, but was forced into a match with consequences which (s)he subsequently lost.

That was kind of Joey's and Tea's roles in the original Yugioh, though they did win a few matches.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ImperialGuard posted:

Which annoys you less:

I'd much rather someone who only cheers on, but has other interests or uses (like, say, can do a bit of detective work) than someone who's there to be fodder or has one duel for every forty main character duels.
If we're talking about main character's friends that show up a lot, of course.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 28, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly, I prefer a character that just stays out of battles entirely. Someone who only exists to lose is really boring because the audience will fully know every battle he has will have no meaning at all, since he's destined to lose. Unless it's played for comedy (Morikawa in Vanguard, for instance) it's a role that's not needed at all.

At least the cheerleaders can be useful for characterization even if they never enter a battle. Of course, if you aren't going to use them for even that, then why even bother? Just don't have those characters at all. I'm still asking myself what's the point of Takashi in Zexal, for example.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

TARDISman posted:

Ok, I'm really bored and watching the first YuGiOh series and I'm wondering, I don't remember anything past Battle City and that whole virtual world where they fight Zombie Exodia, are there any particularly good arcs after that or should I skip to GX then?

I remember liking the Orichalcos arc but I haven't actually watched it since I was like 14/15 and its also a filler arc. Otherwise no, probably should just read the manga since NAS did a lovely job of adapting the memory world arc. GX is kinda ehh though, it takes half the series to get remotely interesting. 5D's is great for the franchise standards for the first third or so and after that it's awful with a few exceptions. Thankfully the first third wraps up pretty conclusively from what I remember and you can just stop there. Zexal was just poo poo but I gave it up pretty early.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I think that it's an issue either way. If a player exists only to watch and have everything explained, I find that more annoying than a player who just loses. It's why I like Vanguard. It seems like everyone plays the game in that one, and even the people who have a horrible win/loss ratio have excuses. (Kyou is a B+ in a league of As, Morikawa has awful deck design philosophy (he should play Dimension Police. Daikaiser would love his deck), Aichi is a newbie whose Win/Loss ratio improves as he gains experience).

Separately, I got the Dimensional Brave Kaiser deck. I have a Great Daiyusha in my card collection I'd been saving for this moment. Once I get a second one of these for the second Daikaiser and 2 more Daiyushas I'll have an almost 100% Dimensional Robo deck.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

TARDISman posted:

It's been years, but the very last arc where they're in ancient Egypt is pretty good. It also, not coincidentally, has few actual card games compared to previous seasons.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Senerio posted:

I think that it's an issue either way. If a player exists only to watch and have everything explained, I find that more annoying than a player who just loses. It's why I like Vanguard. It seems like everyone plays the game in that one, and even the people who have a horrible win/loss ratio have excuses. (Kyou is a B+ in a league of As, Morikawa has awful deck design philosophy (he should play Dimension Police. Daikaiser would love his deck), Aichi is a newbie whose Win/Loss ratio improves as he gains experience).

Separately, I got the Dimensional Brave Kaiser deck. I have a Great Daiyusha in my card collection I'd been saving for this moment. Once I get a second one of these for the second Daikaiser and 2 more Daiyushas I'll have an almost 100% Dimensional Robo deck.

Yeah, this is something I really liked of Vanguard. In a series like YGO, you'd expect people like Izaki or Miwa to just never get into a card game, but the series makes it clear that they're both players, just aren't the center of the spotlight, and we do see them play. Hell, Miwa's pretty skilled for someone who doesn't play all that much (as he himself points out though, he is the person Kai trains with), and Izaki does attempt to get better after seeing how much Aichi improved and gives him one hell of a fight during the interschool tournament. And hell, even Morikawa is shown to be really skilled in a Cardfight, he's just awful at deck-building.

I think the only people we never see play are Aichi's mum and Shin, and we can guess that Shin can indeed play since he owns a card store and all. Even the student president and Suwabe get into the game, though I guess that doesn't matter at all now that everyone's forgotten Aichi.

As I said something I liked of Vanguard, I'll say something I don't. Can we just stop with the constant memory erasing already? By this point it's more hilarious than anything, people in this world have really fragile memories, don't they? And it's really annoying, for me at least, when the knowledge characters have don't match with the knowledge they should have, it ends up being really confusing. I was basically screaming during Asia Circuit every time PSYqualia came up because everyone had forgotten about it and Aichi's fear-but-do-nothing attitude was really stupid from the same guy who accepted PSYqualia and the part of him that wanted it in the fight against Ren. One thing I loved of Aichi VS Leon was that Aichi finally faced PSYqualia like he should have from the get-go, using it but not getting corrupted by it.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

Senerio posted:

I think that it's an issue either way.
Hence why I used the phrase "annoys less".

But yeah what spurred me to ask this was I was watching ep 117 of Vanguard, and, maybe I misread the subtext, but Naoki seemed like a "promising new player", someone kinda like Joey Wheeler.
But then he lost yet again and I was like "jesus christ does he ever get a victory worth a drat, gently caress spoilers"

Here's to hoping he isn't Krillin-tier in this season as well.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Naoki is like Aichi in that he isn't a prodigy. He gradually gets better. By the end he's about Kamui-tier, or a bit above him but below Misaki.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TARDISman posted:

Honestly, I really liked the Orichalkos Arc because even though Dartz's background was sort of contrived, the duels were loving awesome. It was the only time in the original series where it actually felt like poo poo was going down. Kaiba gets temporarily bankrupt and is on the run. Ryuzaki and Haga get a major power boost where they are actually threatening again. Yugi loving LOSES A DUEL! And best of all, more Pegasus with Toon World. :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, Dartz arc was loving awesome since thanks to the legendary dragons the duels were loving insane and for once, they have a plausible explanation for all the magic draws the protagonists pull on every duel, the KC Grand Prix on the other hand was pretty mediocre with the only good thing was Kaiba pulling the Chaos Emperor Dragon combo. The world of memories arc is better than the manga version since it gives Kaiba a significant role tying neatly his rivalry with Yugi.

Regarding the question, I found more tolerable a team of cheerleaders than a jobber since I can easily ignore the cheerleader while there's the irritating trend of the jobber being a really cool character making his/her losses really infuriating.

And speaking of the Legendary Dragons we know the (partial) effect of Timaeus:

The Eye of Timaeus
Normal Spell Card
“By sending a “Dark Magician” monster from your side of the field to the Graveyard, you can Fusion Summon a Fusion Monster from your Fusion Deck that lists that monster as a Fusion Material! And this card has a Rule that always treats it as “Legendary Dragon Timaeus”!”

Pretty underwhleming to be honest.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Huh, it's a magic? Not a monster? How odd, though I guess Timaeus wasn't much of a monster in the anime either, so it's acceptable, if weird.

What's even weirder is that it's always treated as "Legendary Dragon Timaeus", which isn't an actually existing card at all, nor changes anything as far as I know in its interaction with other cards. I can't imagine what this clause is for, but I doubt it's pointless.

The most interesting part of this though, is that it targets a "Dark Magician". Not Dark Magician Girl, just the less specific "Dark Magician". I guess we're getting Amulet Dragon too, not only Dark Magician Girl the Dragon Knight (god that's a long name), and that's awesome.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I can't remember Yugi doing anything but melding Timaeus with his Dark Magicians so that part is not strange. As for the card itself if the monsters are up to par it could actually be quite nice. If I'm not misunderstanding it would work like Mask Change and Metamorphis where you only need 1 monster for the fusion summon.

EDIT: Yup I remembered correctly. The card is only ever used with Dark Magician and Dark Magician Girl in the show.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Timaeus

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 28, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theyd have great cards if they came out as soon as they appeared on screen.
But as it stands, with decks having the potential to pull off poo poo like that pendulum scrap combo even without pendulums theyre decidedly average.

They were outdated as soon as synchro and tightly built archetypes were released.

Hell Legendary Knight Timaeus is just a lovely Beast King Barbaros. and the latter is great for bringing out a massive XYZ monster.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 28, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hell Legendary Knight Timaeus is just a lovely Beast King Barbaros. and the latter is great for bringing out a massive XYZ monster.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Legendary_Knight_Timaeus

The blurb says something completely different. :confused:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Xoidanor posted:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Legendary_Knight_Timaeus

The blurb says something completely different. :confused:

Barbaros destroys all the opponents cards, plus can be summoned for no tribute.
Timaeus just destroys spell cards.

What Im saying is these cards are more than a bit crap now.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Barbaros destroys all the opponents cards, plus can be summoned for no tribute.
Timaeus just destroys spell cards.

What Im saying is these cards are more than a bit crap now.

That effect is so terrible that I did not even know Barbaros had it. If you check the wording you'll see Timeas get his effect when special summoned, not tribute summoned. Presumably the unrevealed parts of the effect are the conditions for special summoning him.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, Timaeus have a lot of words on the card and we don't even know how Legend of Heart will work so there's a chance than Timaeus will be a decent card at least.

Also I've never seen anyone use Barbaros effect, he's just a beater for Skill Drain decks.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Naoki was ten times better off in that season than poor Kourin. No matter what situation she was in, it always worked out that she had to lose.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hahaha future card buddyfight is still so amazingly terrible. The most recent episode has the goddamned best loving voice direction ever and by best I mean worst also the main character is like card game jesus or something. Also I'm convinced I saw gary oak in the background a couple episodes ago.

This poo poo is so bad I can't stop watching it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Justin_Brett posted:

Naoki was ten times better off in that season than poor Kourin. No matter what situation she was in, it always worked out that she had to lose.

She actually went 4-4 in Link Joker, which was her best season record. (She was 1-3 in season 1 and 0-1 in Season 2).

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh you're right.

Still bullshit she had to lose to Daigo of all people.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
With all these new shows coming out, I should probably update the OP. If y'all can do writeups on any important card game show I missed in there I'll update it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
We have the effect for DMG The Dragon Knight

Dark Magician Girl the Dragon Knight

Dragon/Fusion/Effect

"Dark Magician Girl" + 1 Dragon-Type monster
Must be Fusion Summoned with the above Fusion Material Monsters or with "The Eye of Timaeus", and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can send 1 card from your hand to the Graveyard, then target 1 face-up card on the field; destroy that target.

And Timaeus:

The Eye of Timaeus

(This card is also always treated as "Legendary Dragon Timaeus".)
Target 1 "Dark Magician" monster you control; Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck that lists that monster on the field as a Fusion Material Monster, using it as the Fusion Material. You can only activate 1 "The Eye of Timaeus" per turn.

With a little effort I can see the DMGtDK becoming a really strong card on the meta.

https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=6040

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 2, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

"During either players turn" :swoon:, might be worth finding space for this card in my decks after all.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Ra's Disciple
Fairy/Effect
When this card is Summoned: You can Special Summon up to 2 "Ra's Disciple" from your hand or Deck. You cannot Special Summon monsters, except "Ra's Disciple", and you cannot Tribute Summon monsters, except Divine-Beast-Type monsters.

Holy crap, the Winged Dragon of Ra could be playable now :stare:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ra? I'm making a god drat Slifer deck with him if he gets released with that wording. :getin:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Xoidanor posted:

Ra? I'm making a god drat Slifer deck with him if he gets released with that wording. :getin:

Fair point, Obelisk is also a good option and we're also getting this card

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mound_of_the_Bound_Creator

if works like March of the Monarchs for the Egyptian Gods, then they will finally be a legitimate deck.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
Why do I get this feeling that Danger World is meant to be the "blatant antagonist faction"?
First Rouga, now Magoroku, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the meek kid with teal hair pulls a Bakura in the next five to ten episodes.

Well, at least the new set has all this cool stuff for Magic World.

e: Considering all the other card game animes this season, would it make sense to break off seperate threads for CFV and/or YGO? I think it's a worthwhile idea.

ImperialGuard fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 5, 2014

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

First episode of ARC-V is out but no subs yet.
I didn't watch any of Zexal but it seems the hairstyles are more ridiculous then usual.
New(?) gimmicks include:
-"Solid Vision" holograms are now literally solid, which brings us:
-ACTION DUEL where a field magic is used to create a.. field that duelist can interact and run around in and gather ACTION CARDS scattered around.
-Main character likes to ride on a hippo.

I didn't quite understand how his plot mcguffin works but it looked cool I guess.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Thing to note: Yuya rides on the hippo the entire first round to gather up Action Cards, then in his next turn he jumps with the hippo off a cliff, tributes it and lands on his ace dragon midair and it's radical.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So arc-v has it's own gimmick similar to how speed duels were a thing in 5Ds and it's basically :catdrugs: ?

Well this I've got to see. Those subs can't come up fast enough.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

^pretty much, first duel's also Clown Vs Fist of the Northstar Fanboy

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The more you talk, the more I want this to be subbed already. The opening alone was weird as hell, so I can only imagine how wonderful the series itself must be.

I hope someone subs it, I want to watch this insanity.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
It seems the wiki already has a little bit on how the pendulum summoning gimmick in ARC-V works.
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Pendulum_Summon

Basically, you have two pendulum zones, a left and a right. Pendulum monsters have a value for both zones. If you have monsters in both pendulum zones, you can special summon any number of monsters from your hand that have their level between but not equal to the pendulum values. You can also summon pendulum monsters from your extra deck this way. Pendulum monsters also have a pendulum effect that happens when their in the pendulum zone.

Honestly, it sounds really broken. Although, that seems to be a common trend in yugioh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Deadfish and Anonymous are on this, they're both good groups, right?

• Locked thread