Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Serperoth posted:

Wait what? That's not how stuff works. They move to Start Combat, the Demon ability goes on the stack, then the active player gets priority. If the active player passes, the non-active player gets priority. Only if the non-active player passes does the topmost object of the stack (in our case, the Demon sac ability) resolve.

Even after the demon's trigger resolves, the active player gets priority again. 116.3b The active player receives priority after a spell or ability (other than a mana ability) resolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

MrBling posted:

He announced the demon trigger, then went to activate the mutavault and was told he couldn't do that.

Yeah, but we have no idea about WHEN he announced it. If he first offered to move to attackers, and Sullivan agreed, we're now in the declare attackers step.

Him not having chosen attackers yet does not mean we didn't move to that step already. And only the people at that table could tell us exactly what happened.

Brownhat fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 6, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

^^
The very first thing that happens when the Declare Attackers step begins is that attackers are declared, before anyone gets the chance to activate any abilities etc.

jassi007 posted:

Even after the demon's trigger resolves, the active player gets priority again. 116.3b The active player receives priority after a spell or ability (other than a mana ability) resolves.

Well yeah, I'm just referring to how the non-active player absolutely had the opportunity to activate stuff before choosing whether to sac or not. I thought that was the issue at hand.
When both players pass with an empty stack, THEN the step or phase ends, so somebody at the table missed something.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 6, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Brownhat posted:

Yeah, but we have no idea about WHEN he announced it. If he first offered to move to attackers, and Sullivan agreed, we're now in the declare attackers step.

Him not having chosen attackers yet does not mean we didn't move to that step already. And only the people at that table could tell us exactly what happened.

Someone watching said this is what happened.

quote:

He announced the demon trigger, then went to activate the mutavault and was told he couldn't do that.

he didn't decleare any attacker or make an indication of moving steps. he went trigger, activate, and was told no. If the word activate follows the word trigger, there is no point that anyone could confuse or misconstrue having passed priority with an empty stack. he got hosed over by someone.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

None of your quote from "someone watching" tells us what step he was in at the time.

Now, I'm not saying that the judge couldn't have messed up, but that's a pretty big screw up.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I know this is a replay, but holy poo poo the way Adrian Sullivan sets up his whole side of the board is driving me loving crazy. If I ever had to play against him it would absolutely send me on a tilt, which is what I assume he's going for.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Brownhat posted:

None of your quote from "someone watching" tells us what step he was in at the time.

Since they acknowledged the Demon trigger, they were at Start Combat. They can't move steps without what's on the stack resolving.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Since they acknowledged the Demon trigger, they were at Start Combat. They can't move steps without what's on the stack resolving.

You're assuming that happened during Start Combat. If he offered to move to attackers first, and Adrian agreed, we are no longer in Start Combat.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Brownhat posted:

You're assuming that happened during Start Combat. If he offered to move to attackers first, and Adrian agreed, we are no longer in Start Combat.

The Demon trigger happens at Start Combat. It was acknowledged, so no rules were broken, so they were at Start Combat. They can't offer to move to attackers, that's an illegal action.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Serperoth posted:

The Demon trigger happens at Start Combat. It was acknowledged, so no rules were broken, so they were at Start Combat. They can't offer to move to attackers, that's an illegal action.

It's a triggered ability. It can be missed. Triggers don't just "happen" if it's controller misses it. We don't rewind for missed triggers.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GonSmithe posted:

I know this is a replay, but holy poo poo the way Adrian Sullivan sets up his whole side of the board is driving me loving crazy. If I ever had to play against him it would absolutely send me on a tilt, which is what I assume he's going for.
Oh no someone else's brain works differently from mine. Do you freak out when someone starts playing FPSs using legacy controls too?

clamiam45 posted:

If you had told me a year ago that this thread would be hating on Mono Black Control in standard next year, I wouldn't have believed it.
It has long been since the days when MBC was viable. People longed for those days and now remember why it was terrible. In another decade the cycle will begin anew. Now someone will correct me and say that pack rat isn't exactly nantuko shade and braids isn't exactly the demon.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Brownhat posted:

It's a triggered ability. It can be missed. Triggers don't just "happen" if it's controller misses it. We don't rewind for missed triggers.

The post you quoted says it was acknowledged, so how is the fact that triggers can be missed relevant to the discussion?

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

JerryLee posted:

The post you quoted says it was acknowledged, so how is the fact that triggers can be missed relevant to the discussion?

Because the poster has NO IDEA WHEN the trigger was pointed out. The coverage staff didn't even bother to ask that.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Fox of Stone posted:

Oh no someone else's brain works differently from mine. Do you freak out when someone starts playing FPSs using legacy controls too?
Oh gently caress off. If I was playing against him it's not like I would literally say to him "Wow stop putting your lands in front of your other stuff shitlord," it just annoys me.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Brownhat posted:

Because the poster has NO IDEA WHEN the trigger was pointed out. The coverage staff didn't even bother to ask that.

It was acknowledged, which means it wasn't missed, and that means that they were still at Start Combat. They can't move into Declare Attackers without the trigger resolving.

As you said as well, there's no rewinding for missed triggers, but from what I'm reading it wasn't a missed trigger.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Brownhat posted:

They can be missed, but obviously if this trigger was acknowledged then it wasn't missed. Or to say more specifically even if it was missed, a judge then rewound the game state to add it to the stack. If he did rewind, then we were obviously before declare attackers and he could activate the mutavault. When a judge fixes a missed trigger it requires rewinding the game state, which means you can activate the mutavault. There is no scenario where the trigger for the demon was on the stack that the active player can't then activate his mutavault because this specific trigger can only happen before declare attackers. We either were there, or it was rewound to there. It makes no difference. If a judge rewinds the game state to fix a missed trigger, then both players can make different choices based on that trigger. Thats why you rewind and not just throw it in wherever you happen to be in the game, because players will make different choices based on what happened in the game.

I guess the point could be made he moved to attackers, then acknowledged the trigger, and a judge ruled the trigger was missed, so he couldn't activate his mutavault. If that is the case it should be easy to see on replay.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 6, 2014

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Serperoth posted:

It was acknowledged, which means it wasn't missed, and that means that they were still at Start Combat. They can't move into Declare Attackers without the trigger resolving.

As you said as well, there's no rewinding for missed triggers, but from what I'm reading it wasn't a missed trigger.

Where exactly are you reading this?

There are two possible scenarios here:

1.) He acknowledged the trigger at the right time, and the coverage judge made one of the absolute worst rulings in the history of bad rulings. Keep in mind, they don't just put random judges on coverage team. Usually they are L2+, and someone who has proven themselves. Then, after this ridiculously wrong ruling, no one bothered to appeal. I know no one bothered to appeal, because I know the head judge at this Standard Open, and there is no way he would uphold a ruling that wrong.

or

2.) Kevin missed his trigger, and tried to move to attackers, to which Adrian agreed. As soon as both players passed priority, the trigger was missed and we're now in Declare Attackers. At this point, it's too late to activate Mutavault as an attacker.

I'm not saying it couldn't be option 1, but that's significantly less likely.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

jassi007 posted:

They can be missed, but obviously if this trigger was acknowledged then it wasn't missed. Or to say more specifically even if it was missed, a judge then rewound the game state to add it to the stack. If he did rewind, then we were obviously before declare attackers and he could activate the mutavault. When a judge fixes a missed trigger it requires rewinding the game state, which means you can activate the mutavault. There is no scenario where the trigger for the demon was on the stack that the active player can't then activate his mutavault because this specific trigger can only happen before declare attackers. We either were there, or it was rewound to there. It makes no difference. If a judge rewinds the game state to fix a missed trigger, then both players can make different choices based on that trigger. Thats why you rewind and not just throw it in wherever you happen to be in the game, because players will make different choices based on what happened in the game.

I guess the point could be made he moved to attackers, then acknowledged the trigger, and a judge ruled the trigger was missed, so he couldn't activate his mutavault. If that is the case it should be easy to see on replay.

You absolutely DO NOT rewind for a missed trigger.

When a missed trigger is found, a few things can happen:

First, you check if it's a trigger with a default choice (Kataki, War's Wage and Pact of Negation), or is a delayed trigger involving a zone change (Obzedat, Ghost Council). If it's has a default choice, you resolve it with that choice (For a Pact, you would lose the game). If it's a delayed trigger zone change, you resolve it. In both cases, the opponent chooses if it resolves now or at the beginning of the next phase.

If the triggered ability would create an effect whose duration has already expired, you do nothing.

Otherwise, the opponent gets to choose if the ability is put on the stack.

At no point would you ever rewind for a missed trigger.

Brownhat fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 6, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
It's still dumb as all hell that the head judge doesn't have a text file containing the comp rules on a netbook or a tablet that they can carry around with them to double check rulings if requested. A few weeks ago during a feature match someone cast a Gods Willing on their creature that was on the receiving end of a Fall of the Hammer. The head judge ruled that if the player declares red but the other creature isn't red (in this case white) then the creature that now has pro red would still be dealt damage. His ruling was final. It's a wrong ruling that wouldn't have happened if the head judge just opened a pdf, ctrl+f'd "illegal target", and found this section:

quote:

608.2b If the spell or ability specifies targets, it checks whether the targets are still legal. A target that’s no longer in the zone it was in when it was targeted is illegal. Other changes to the game state may cause a target to no longer be legal; for example, its characteristics may have changed or an effect may have changed the text of the spell. If the source of an ability has left the zone it was in, its last known information is used during this process. The spell or ability is countered if all its targets, for every instance of the word "target," are now illegal. If the spell or ability is not countered, it will resolve normally. However, if any of its targets are illegal, the part of the spell or ability’s effect for which it is an illegal target can’t perform any actions on that target, make another object or player perform any actions on that target, or make that target perform any actions. If the spell or ability creates a continuous effect that affects game rules (see rule 613.10), that effect doesn’t apply to illegal targets. The effect may still determine information about illegal targets, though, and other parts of the effect for which those targets are not illegal may still affect them.
Example: Sorin’s Thirst is a black instant that reads, "Sorin’s Thirst deals 2 damage to target creature and you gain 2 life." If the creature isn’t a legal target during the resolution of Sorin’s Thirst (say, if the creature has gained protection from black or left the battlefield), then Sorin’s Thirst is countered. Its controller doesn’t gain any life.
Example: Plague Spores reads, "Destroy target nonblack creature and target land. They can’t be regenerated." Suppose the same animated land is chosen both as the nonblack creature and as the land, and the color of the creature land is changed to black before Plague Spores resolves. Plagues Spores isn’t countered because the black creature land is still a legal target for the "target land" part of the spell. The "destroy target nonblack creature" part of the spell won’t affect that permanent, but the "destroy target land" part of the spell will still destroy it. It can’t be regenerated.

In this case "Dealing damage" would be an action that it can't force the white creature to take. Or maybe they could, I don't know, look up the card in gatherer and look at the rulings:

quote:

1/1/2014: As Fall of the Hammer tries to resolve, if only one of the targets is legal, Fall of the Hammer will still resolve but will have no effect: If the first target creature is illegal, it can’t deal damage to anything. If the second target creature is illegal, it can’t be dealt damage.

It's silly to force the judges to have encyclopedic knowledge about what every card does when the comp rules and gatherer rulings are easily accessible. Judges are needed to decipher the game state and decide how the rules apply to this situation, but they shouldn't be there to remember exactly how the rules work.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Brownhat posted:

You absolutely DO NOT rewind for a missed trigger.

Even for a trigger like demon, where it affects the opponent in such an obvious way? I'm having trouble finding the relevant wording in the comp rules, but I'm fairly sure the opponent could basically get the judge to rewind because he intended to sac something right? Like I'm the black player, and I want to "sneak" in my demon on attacks, so I got combat, demon attacks. My opponent can call judge, say "he missed the demon trigger, and I want to respond to it." the judge would not disallow my opponent the opportunity to respond, and he'd give me a game warning to for that matter. However when the judge rewound to allow my opponent to respond to the trigger, I'd then get to activate my mutavault.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Brownhat posted:

Where exactly are you reading this?

There are two possible scenarios here:

1.) He acknowledged the trigger at the right time, and the coverage judge made one of the absolute worst rulings in the history of bad rulings. Keep in mind, they don't just put random judges on coverage team. Usually they are L2+, and someone who has proven themselves. Then, after this ridiculously wrong ruling, no one bothered to appeal. I know no one bothered to appeal, because I know the head judge at this Standard Open, and there is no way he would uphold a ruling that wrong.

or

2.) Kevin missed his trigger, and tried to move to attackers, to which Adrian agreed. As soon as both players passed priority, the trigger was missed and we're now in Declare Attackers. At this point, it's too late to activate Mutavault as an attacker.

I'm not saying it couldn't be option 1, but that's significantly less likely.

The judge wasn't actually involved in any of this. Adrian Sullivan just told him that he couldn't do it.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

MrBling posted:

The judge wasn't actually involved in any of this. Adrian Sullivan just told him that he couldn't do it.

I'm pretty sure the judge was involved, if I'm remembering right. I thought I saw them get involved.

jassi007 posted:

Even for a trigger like demon, where it affects the opponent in such an obvious way? I'm having trouble finding the relevant wording in the comp rules, but I'm fairly sure the opponent could basically get the judge to rewind because he intended to sac something right? Like I'm the black player, and I want to "sneak" in my demon on attacks, so I got combat, demon attacks. My opponent can call judge, say "he missed the demon trigger, and I want to respond to it." the judge would not disallow my opponent the opportunity to respond, and he'd give me a game warning to for that matter. However when the judge rewound to allow my opponent to respond to the trigger, I'd then get to activate my mutavault.

I edited my post to better explain what the IPG says about the fix for GPE - Missed Trigger. The IPG only allows you to rewind for GPE - Game Rules Violation. (EDIT: TE - Communication Policy Violation also allows us to rewind if necessary.)

Kabanaw posted:

It's still dumb as all hell that the head judge doesn't have a text file containing the comp rules on a netbook or a tablet that they can carry around with them to double check rulings if requested. A few weeks ago during a feature match someone cast a Gods Willing on their creature that was on the receiving end of a Fall of the Hammer. The head judge ruled that if the player declares red but the other creature isn't red (in this case white) then the creature that now has pro red would still be dealt damage. His ruling was final. It's a wrong ruling that wouldn't have happened if the head judge just opened a pdf, ctrl+f'd "illegal target", and found this section:

In this case "Dealing damage" would be an action that it can't force the white creature to take. Or maybe they could, I don't know, look up the card in gatherer and look at the rulings:

It's silly to force the judges to have encyclopedic knowledge about what every card does when the comp rules and gatherer rulings are easily accessible. Judges are needed to decipher the game state and decide how the rules apply to this situation, but they shouldn't be there to remember exactly how the rules work.

Any judge with a smartphone has the app with all of the rules documents and oracle. If they don't, they either don't have a device or they were too lazy to download the app. Also, the head judge wouldn't be involved in that ruling unless there was an appeal.

Brownhat fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 6, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Brownhat posted:

And judge with a smartphone has the app with all of the rules documents and oracle. If they don't, they either don't have a device or they were too lazy to download the app. Also, the head judge wouldn't be involved in that ruling unless there was an appeal.

They did appeal. This was the head judge's ruling. At least 1 person at the event needs some way to consult the actual rules to make sure rulings aren't made off just what they remember.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Kabanaw posted:

They did appeal. This was the head judge's ruling. At least 1 person at the event needs some way to consult the actual rules to make sure rulings aren't made off just what they remember.

Like I said, almost every judge at an event should have access to Oracle and all of the rules documents. You can get the app, too.

If you have an Android device: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ndrue.gathereroffline

iDevices: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mtg-guide/id378754271?mt=8

EDIT: Good, we might get to watch that Desecration Demon situation during this replay.

Brownhat fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 6, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Are JiN spoilers beginning tomorrow, or next Monday?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Tomorrow.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

C-Euro posted:

Tonight, 9pm pacific!

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

En Fuego posted:

Tonight, 9pm pacific!

I think this is the first time PAX East happened in the middle of spoiler season. I wonder what they'll be showing us at the Magic panel.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Brownhat posted:

I think this is the first time PAX East happened in the middle of spoiler season. I wonder what they'll be showing us at the Magic panel.

Probably some Conspiracy stuff.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
They should be revealing the fall 2014 set as well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sweet, something to look forward to.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: Trigger Warnings

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

C-Euro posted:

It will be JOU by the way. Some other product in the Hasbro line has JIN so they had to use JOU.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: Trigger Warnings

Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: Demons make Rewind standard legal.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Count Bleck posted:

Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: Demons make Rewind standard legal.

Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: The difference between L1 and L2 is the ability to rewind.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I'm surprised they don't make more "at beginning of combat" triggers with how much they're pushing interacting with the red zone for the last few sets. From reading MaRo's thoughts it seems like they wish they could make those types of cards more often but players(mostly new players) find them annoying to keep track. Over the kitchen table that scenario would get rewind. Takes away from a lot of design space.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Korak posted:

I'm surprised they don't make more "at beginning of combat" triggers with how much they're pushing interacting with the red zone for the last few sets. From reading MaRo's thoughts it seems like they wish they could make those types of cards more often but players(mostly new players) find them annoying to keep track. Over the kitchen table that scenario would get rewind. Takes away from a lot of design space.

Wizards / Maro doesn't design cards for the technical player really. The health of the game is more reliant on the kitchen table. Just look at the view on counterspells, land destruction, and New World Order. I think at events using comp rel these things are all fine, but move down to kitchen table /FNM and they are despised by the majority. I think they design cards for this group,then development tunes some stuff up basically.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Was that just a turn 2 Elves kill?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

"4-Color Thopter"

Early rounds of legacy - best rounds of legacy.

EDIT: Elves player fetches up a worldspine wurm, it's a 1/1 do-nothing because of Thopter's humility. The players high-five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
That is the most amazing 1/1 11 mana Worldspine Wurm I've ever seen.

• Locked thread