Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Castlechat!

A decent replica of the mage tower from UO. It's missing some details but mostly on the inside so I don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Mephiston posted:

Things you want for a claim:

A huge stockpile of copper ore (10 days worth, i'd say)

What? Am I supposed to run around digging holes for ten days before I start building poo poo? :stare:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Master Twig posted:

Go to claim management and delete your claim. This will give you your claim flag and all materials placed in the claim back into your inventory. It will also automatically create a template of the entire claim so you can easily rebuild.
Will it give back all of my refineries as well? I spent quite a bit maxing them out.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Krowley posted:

What? Am I supposed to run around digging holes for ten days before I start building poo poo? :stare:

No, 10 days is 300 copper ore per day x 10 days = 3000 copper ore.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

nelson posted:

No, 10 days is 300 copper ore per day x 10 days = 3000 copper ore.

OH, for the upkeep of course :downs:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

nelson posted:

Will it give back all of my refineries as well? I spent quite a bit maxing them out.

Yes. You get back everything. Resources, props, building stations. All of it.

I'm amazed such a great feature is in a building game.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Ok, I just did this. All of your buildings go into a special timer tab in your inventory. You have 24 hours to move them to your regular inventory. Don't just hit delete and come back 3 days later or you will be sorry.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...
Bought this for myself and the wife this morning. Holy crap, this game's fun. I liked Minecraft, but its building options are severely limited unless you move to the super macro scale, and I don't have the time or the patience for that. One thing I'd love to see integrated into this game: tool tips so I know what friggin ore I'm about to mine. I'm tired of going "ooh! silver! Awww, nevermind, it's just tin/iron"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Freakazoid_ posted:

Castlechat!

A decent replica of the mage tower from UO. It's missing some details but mostly on the inside so I don't care.
Stairs leading straight into a wall? :psydwarf:

Sybok
May 25, 2006
So this is in closed beta now? If so does anyone have keys floating around or do I need to get a founder's pack?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jackard posted:

Stairs leading straight into a wall? :psydwarf:

Origin created worlds. They never said they could plan an interior layout that made sense.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
I don't even know what's going on anymore. I don't know how to game, but I do know how to straight down! Also, the moon and sun go in opposite directions. Unless those are 2 suns and I'm an idiot.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So I'm finally back home with a chance to play and I spent the weekend getting all the building tools, picks, axes and a bunch of claim extensions so I'm finally ready to start building. There's 2 things I'm wondering though, how many claim expansions can you have, and is there a way to get rid of one of your expansions without erasing your whole claim?

Diran
Jan 28, 2014

Tom Guycot posted:

So I'm finally back home with a chance to play and I spent the weekend getting all the building tools, picks, axes and a bunch of claim extensions so I'm finally ready to start building. There's 2 things I'm wondering though, how many claim expansions can you have, and is there a way to get rid of one of your expansions without erasing your whole claim?

Not sure on how many extension you can have max, but you can delete individual claims without erasing the whole thing.

starfish
Dec 21, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

Castlechat!

Awesome!

Tom Guycot posted:

Pretty sure the max is 3 right now. (Your main claim and 2 expansions)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

starfish posted:

Pretty sure the max is 3 right now. (Your main claim and 2 expansions)

Dang, that kinda ruins my plans. Do you know if theres any word on it increasing before they do any wipes?

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Well I learned an expensive lesson today. Apparently you can't trade building tools to people. Wasted 30 iron ingots making a selection tool for the wife, just to not be able to trade it. Wanted to post here before anyone else makes an expensive mistake

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Beowulf posted:

Well I learned an expensive lesson today. Apparently you can't trade building tools to people. Wasted 30 iron ingots making a selection tool for the wife, just to not be able to trade it. Wanted to post here before anyone else makes an expensive mistake

Can you still put them in a shared chest to trade? I think they put in an error message now but might be worth a shot.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Beowulf posted:

Well, you can send the pickaxe and axe over mail. It'll be easier for her to make her own, if she uses a mithril pickaxe.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I would try the chest thing. Or just send the materials needed to make it.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I really hope the 5-day thing for claim payments gets tuned/extended...my claim's about to run out because my connection hasn't been anything less than totally lovely for about a week now, and when I can get in, I lag out before the orange blobs even render.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Trebuchet King posted:

I really hope the 5-day thing for claim payments gets tuned/extended...my claim's about to run out because my connection hasn't been anything less than totally lovely for about a week now, and when I can get in, I lag out before the orange blobs even render.

It's only like that right now for testing purposes during beta.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yeah, I figured, but the only thing I could find said about it was that they were just using copper until ingame currency was implemented, nothing about timeframe.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I like constant upkeep for claims. Mainly because I so disliked the ghost towns in Star Wars Galaxies. It's nice that if something is there, the owner is relatively active.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yeah, nothing against the idea, but it'd be nice to have the ability to toggle, like, "sleep mode" or something that renders everything uninteractible for a bit, like if you know you're going to be away for two weeks or something.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Trebuchet King posted:

Yeah, nothing against the idea, but it'd be nice to have the ability to toggle, like, "sleep mode" or something that renders everything uninteractible for a bit, like if you know you're going to be away for two weeks or something.

They will probably do that eventually since that's how EQ2 housing works. If you don't pay your fees then it just locks your house down.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Since everything is templated when your claim times out, at worst you are losing your spot in the world. There needs to be a happy medium found between 'I will be away from the internet for a month, can I pay in advance' and 'I'm quitting forever but I'm going to queue up 3 years of upkeep so people have to look at my ugly castle'.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

What's the best way to get the tallest claim? Does it center the claim where you are standing? I may have elaborate tower plans.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

What's the best way to get the tallest claim? Does it center the claim where you are standing? I may have elaborate tower plans.

It centers on your character initially, but you can move it up and down a bit with the scroll wheel.

But the problem with expanding a claim into the air is that additional claims have to be attached onto your main claim and can't be attached to each other. So you can't just stack two additional claims on top of each other, and if you've put your main claim on the ground then the added bottom one just would go underground.

Since you can place blocks in unclaimed areas maybe try making a dirt nerdpole into mid-air and then planting your main claim on top of that. That way the additional bottom claim would be above ground and you can still add an additional claim on top of your main claim as well.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

itsnice2bnice posted:

It centers on your character initially, but you can move it up and down a bit with the scroll wheel.

But the problem with expanding a claim into the air is that additional claims have to be attached onto your main claim and can't be attached to each other. So you can't just stack two additional claims on top of each other, and if you've put your main claim on the ground then the added bottom one just would go underground.

Is this correct? On Adventure: Terrace there's a gigantic 3 plot tall tower someone built. They might have done the method you suggested but but when I was checking out expanding my claim it sure looked like I had the option to attach an additional claim to one of the other additions not connected to the main claim. I didn't try clicking on it because I Didn't want a claim there but it sure highlighter the spaces around the first addition like it would let me.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 7, 2014

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

I'll have to check in game to be sure, but I wasn't able to add an additional claim onto an added claim (horizontally) in Alpha.

Edit: Just checked, the interface makes it look like you should be able to add an additional claim onto the far side of another additional claim that's connected horizontally to your main claim, so you'd have 3 claims in a horizontal line with the main claim on the end. But when I click to confirm it bugs out and turns into an L shape instead.

WRT to placing them vertically the interface just doesn't allow you to place an additional claim on top of an already added claim that's located above the main claim. So AFAIK in both cases it seems that the main claim has to be in the center if you want to have 3 claims in a row.

itsnice2bnice fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 7, 2014

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
Re. upkeep - on one of the livestreams they mentioned their future plans for the upkeep system: basically as a newbie you're stuck with not being able to put up more than 5 days, but as you keep the claim for longer, you'd be able to put up higher amounts of copper (thus keeping your claim longer while leaving it unattended).

Their idea is that once you've proven you're going to be around for a while, they're happy to let you leave it alone for a month or so, but right at the start they're keen to make sure you log in a few times a week at least.

I dunno what their timeline is for this or how they'll go about it specifically, but that's the rough description they gave of where they want this thing to be.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

itsnice2bnice posted:

I'll have to check in game to be sure, but I wasn't able to add an additional claim onto an added claim (horizontally) in Alpha.

Edit: Just checked, the interface makes it look like you should be able to add an additional claim onto the far side of another additional claim that's connected horizontally to your main claim, so you'd have 3 claims in a horizontal line with the main claim on the end. But when I click to confirm it bugs out and turns into an L shape instead.

WRT to placing them vertically the interface just doesn't allow you to place an additional claim on top of an already added claim that's located above the main claim. So AFAIK in both cases it seems that the main claim has to be in the center if you want to have 3 claims in a row.

So I decided to test this, and ended up with this:

The bottom one is my original claim and I had no problem placing them one on top of the other. Were you standing in the next claim up when you tried to place the 3rd one? Whatever claim you're standing in when you go to place another it gives you the 6 sided option from that ones position.

Unrelated to that issue, does anyone know if you original claim is a sort of prime claim? What I mean is, could I make a claim under it, then one to the side of the new one, then delete claim number 1, the original claim so I can put a 3rd claim in a new spot? Or will that delete my entire claim, deleting the prime claim?

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

Were you standing in the next claim up when you tried to place the 3rd one? Whatever claim you're standing in when you go to place another it gives you the 6 sided option from that ones position.

Oops, guess I'm really dumb because that explains the problems I had with placing additional claims.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Nothing makes you feel inadequate quite like exploring other people's claims. I'm in awe at some of the stuff people have built. I can't even figure out how they did some of it. I see shapes on walls and fences I didn't think were possible. Every time I try stuff like that I get a distorted mess.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Just keep playing with things. I'm yet to work out how to make antivoxels but microvoxels are pretty fun. I made a little fence and a pretty neat window frame out of them so far. The smooth tool is also pretty good fun.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Master Twig posted:

Nothing makes you feel inadequate quite like exploring other people's claims. I'm in awe at some of the stuff people have built. I can't even figure out how they did some of it. I see shapes on walls and fences I didn't think were possible. Every time I try stuff like that I get a distorted mess.

Part of that creativity comes from the developers not fully understanding how their own system works. You basically need to mess around with smoothing voxels a bunch in order to get every strange permutation of a voxel the system really has. I've seen more than a couple claims dedicate a warehouse sized wall or two toward the most minute voxel changes. They should just make it part of the toolset.

One of my new houses has a fence on a patio. All I did was smooth a single voxel, arranged them into a fence-like pattern and magically I get this fence that looks almost like a hand-made prop. It also causes the patio to warp around the individual poles, so it isn't perfect.

I'm more frustrated that I can't make a roof with a slope that isn't flat or 45 degrees. Also, everything not a cube shaped voxel doesn't come with a single voxel size, so I have to make the bigger version then select just one sloped part of the block. And sometimes those sloped voxels become corrupted and make small holes in your roof.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

Part of that creativity comes from the developers not fully understanding how their own system works. You basically need to mess around with smoothing voxels a bunch in order to get every strange permutation of a voxel the system really has. I've seen more than a couple claims dedicate a warehouse sized wall or two toward the most minute voxel changes. They should just make it part of the toolset.

One of my new houses has a fence on a patio. All I did was smooth a single voxel, arranged them into a fence-like pattern and magically I get this fence that looks almost like a hand-made prop. It also causes the patio to warp around the individual poles, so it isn't perfect.

I'm more frustrated that I can't make a roof with a slope that isn't flat or 45 degrees. Also, everything not a cube shaped voxel doesn't come with a single voxel size, so I have to make the bigger version then select just one sloped part of the block. And sometimes those sloped voxels become corrupted and make small holes in your roof.

As for the roof issue, maybe there's some intricate dicking about with the line tool that could be done to create odd-sloped roofs?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Beowulf posted:

As for the roof issue, maybe there's some intricate dicking about with the line tool that could be done to create odd-sloped roofs?

You'd think a tool billed for creating angles would do exactly that, but as far as I can tell, it's only good for making lines. Any attempt to make an angle causes the tool to highlight red. So unless I'm missing something obvious, it seems broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Freakazoid_ posted:

You'd think a tool billed for creating angles would do exactly that, but as far as I can tell, it's only good for making lines. Any attempt to make an angle causes the tool to highlight red. So unless I'm missing something obvious, it seems broken.

The thicker the line you use the more leeway it gives you. At one voxel thick its really only good for leveling things and creating guidelines.

• Locked thread