Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Someone posted the end but the whole page is great.

UCSM#200

I've never thought about it before but drat if ice-slides arent a ridiculously dangerous mode of transport, leaving free-standing unsupported arches of ice about a car wide and however long they are, waiting to break apart and squash any pedestrians underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, I've always wondered how Iceman hasn't killed like dozens of people. I thought he might just dissipate them but wouldn't he fall if he did so?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bloodly posted:

Hmm? Is this Defenders or Doctor Strange? Strange blew up the universe(And begged Eternity to put it back; he ended up creating a new one almost the same.) and I remember a similar sequence from there.

Are you sure you're not thinking of when Sise-Neg went back to the beginning of time, destroyed the universe, and then re-created it exactly the way it was before?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, I've always wondered how Iceman hasn't killed like dozens of people. I thought he might just dissipate them but wouldn't he fall if he did so?

I always thought they just turned to water because "magic" I dunno. :shrug:

Makes you really think though. Kind of like Black Bolt's polygamy. But that's okay, because he only loves his cousin and not the other four.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Esplanade posted:

On the other hand, I can totally believe that Batman is completely silent when having sex.

Batman during sex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzJ0Uh1uPz8

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

DarkCrawler posted:

Same reason why the Punisher/Hulk/Wolverine hasn't killed any innocent people during their rampages.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mister Roboto posted:

Same reason why the Punisher/Hulk/Wolverine hasn't killed any innocent people during their rampages.

Punisher I can get because he's a serious pro, Wolverine I'm pretty sure has killed plenty of innocent people when he's gone berserk (at least during his Weapon X days) but I thought Hulk was responsible of so much collateral damage and civilian casualties that bunch of heroes thought that he needed to be shot into space?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

DarkCrawler posted:

Punisher I can get because he's a serious pro, Wolverine I'm pretty sure has killed plenty of innocent people when he's gone berserk (at least during his Weapon X days) but I thought Hulk was responsible of so much collateral damage and civilian casualties that bunch of heroes thought that he needed to be shot into space?

Hulk just depends on the writer. It's a constant bouncing game of retcons with "Hulk kills people because y'know he's the Hulk" and "Hulk has never killed people because Bruce is still a hero and regains enough control to prevent Hulk from killing, yes even with collateral damage".

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

There was a stupid mini series a few years ago, I think it was a World War Hulk aftermath tie-in, that revealed that there was a part of Banner's brain constantly calculating the necessary physics to make sure that there would never be any casualties from Hulk rampages, just tons of damage.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Even so, what about all the lives he's ruined with his destruction? How many small business owners have lost their entire livelihoods because of his carelessness? The Hulk must be shot into space, for the sake of our job creators!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

LordPants posted:

I always thought they just turned to water because "magic" I dunno. :shrug:

Well now I want to know how many people have sued him when a few gallons of water rained down on them and destroyed all their electronics or drenched them when they were on their way to a big interview or meeting or something.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
From Avengers Assemble #22. Anya is looking for her teacher who turned Inhuman and the Avengers take turns helping her. Enter Bruce Banner.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

DarkCrawler posted:

one time Punisher fired a remote mine at a family minivan and let the mafia guys he was trying to kill take the blame

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Ditch posted:

Infinity Crusade?

Yeah. I remember reading that and being like, "I get what they're doing, but the fact that I'm not currently being engulfed by cosmic fire kinda kills it."

Also, how do they not just have "don't ever fire a gun at Bruce Banner" as part of terrorist orientation?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a new DeConnick book on the way to replace Avengers Assemble? I'm assuming not, but it's a shame since it's easily the best work she's done for Marvel. This whole last arc with Spider-Girl was great.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Captain Marvel just relaunched, but I don't think she's got anything else in the hopper.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Why does Banner's haircut change when he's the Hulk :confused:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Hulk Smash! posted:

Same reason Thunderbolt Ross loses his mustache when he's the Red Hulk: HEY LOOK OVER THERE.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Hulk Smash! posted:

Same reason his facial features, proportions, mass, and skin color do?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Sefer posted:

Same reason his facial features, proportions, mass, and skin color do?

The Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe clearly states that the Hulk gets his mass from an extra-dimensional source, which affects his proportions and features. The skin color's because of Gamma Rays. Doesn't explain the haircut :colbert:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Could it be because the amount of hair on his head doesn't increase with the size of his head? I suspect that on a normal-sized head, that'd be a perfectly sensible haircut, but on a head as bloody enormous as the Hulk's, it's a mohawk.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

The Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe clearly states that the Hulk gets his mass from an extra-dimensional source

I love that they're even bothering to pay lip service to conservation of mass for this one thing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Super Dan posted:

There was a stupid mini series a few years ago, I think it was a World War Hulk aftermath tie-in, that revealed that there was a part of Banner's brain constantly calculating the necessary physics to make sure that there would never be any casualties from Hulk rampages, just tons of damage.

Not quite. From Incredible Hulk #110.

Bear in mind Cho is portrayed as a unreliable narrator (after all, he realizes he was wrong about Hulk being a hero when the Hulk tries to smash the world), but the idea is that Hulk only kills deliberately or under the control of others, not accidentally, which is a handy out for writers that want him to rampage without becoming a murderer every time.

I don't know if there've been any major contradictions of this since it's been written, but if you want Hulk as an Avenger, it's probably the best way to handle it.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 6, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It was their go-to justification for a bunch of stuff. Like Cyclops' eye beams not being created by his eyes, but his eyes being a doorway into an extra-dimension that's full of kinetic ray stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

I love that they're even bothering to pay lip service to conservation of mass for this one thing.

That's also how they explain Hank Pym's ability to change size; he uses Pym Particles to draw matter from another dimension (or something like that). One time, his extra-dimensional mass gained sentience, turned evil and tried to take his place (or something like that).

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Hulk Smash! posted:

The Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe clearly states that the Hulk gets his mass from an extra-dimensional source, which affects his proportions and features. The skin color's because of Gamma Rays. Doesn't explain the haircut :colbert:

What, you've never heard of the gamma-hair dimension?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

surc posted:

What, you've never heard of the gamma-hair dimension?

:confused:

Content:

Amazing Spider-Man 267

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Speaking of Steve Gerber's Defenders and the Hulk, Steve Gerber's Hulk is the best Hulk there is.

Defenders #22

Defenders #31

BTW, Hulk straight up murders those two hunters on the next page, so Amadeus Cho is totally full of poo poo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Servoret posted:

Defenders #31

BTW, Hulk straight up murders those two hunters on the next page, so Amadeus Cho is totally full of poo poo.

This reminds me

From this brazilian site i think: http://www.dragonarte.com.br/index.php?pag=tirinhas&foto=postagem%20png_1.png

Now that Disney owns Marvel they really need to make shorts of superheroes showing up to save the day before the sad parts of a disney movie come up. Xavier and Hank need to help out in The Beauty and the Beast.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, does Banner Hulk out anytime he hears a gunshot, thinking it's at him? It makes no sense at all.
The whole thing, hell the whole Hulk mythos, is incredibly retarded, and so is anyone who likes and supports the Hulk.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, does Banner Hulk out anytime he hears a gunshot, thinking it's at him? It makes no sense at all.
The whole thing, hell the whole Hulk mythos, is incredibly retarded, and so is anyone who likes and supports the Hulk.

If you're talking about the Defenders page, Hulk is already in the forest watching the deer when the hunters show up. He kind of gets depicted like Frankenstein's Monster in that run. There's lots of scenes of him hanging out with small children or animals and being peaceful until some dickhead attacks him (or kills Bambi's mother).

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
No, the whole scene with Larry. Larry should have been able to use that full/semi automatic weapon(based on how many shots he DID manage to get off) before Bruce even knew what was happening.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Johnny Aztec posted:

No, the whole scene with Larry. Larry should have been able to use that full/semi automatic weapon(based on how many shots he DID manage to get off) before Bruce even knew what was happening.

And Bruce shouldn't even turn into a large, invincible, green monster when he gets angry at all! :goonsay:

Seriously, dude, it's loving comic books. If you want realism, turn off the computer and go outside.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Johnny Aztec posted:

Have you ever fired an automatic weapon in the back of a car? That poo poo will destroy your ears. Larry is obviously using some kind of less-than-lethal AIM issued future gun that fires low velocity plasma projectiles, probably hurts like hell but won't kill you instantly unless you're weaker than a level 8 henchman or the recently introduced loved one of protagonist. Larry also made the mistake of yelling before he fired, and it's been established that Doctor Bruce Banner often wears a Bannertech (TM) personal force field when not hulking out.

Also:

Edward_Tohr posted:

Seriously, dude, it's loving comic books. If you want realism, turn off the computer and go outside.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hulking out is an involuntary action to getting shot. He's not using the Hulk to deflect the bullets - the bullets are actually hitting Banner and causing him to turn into the Hulk whose regeneration is high enough that the bullets already lodged in his body are nothing more than papercuts. Banner is immune to bullets whether he knows they're coming or not.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Johnny Aztec posted:

In the intro to the Hulk live action series, Banner is trying to change a tire in the rain and the tire iron slips. He immediately hulks out and throws the car. It's amazing he lasts long enough between changes to buy more clothes.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Ashcans posted:

In the intro to the Hulk live action series, Banner is trying to change a tire in the rain and the tire iron slips. He immediately hulks out and throws the car. It's amazing he lasts long enough between changes to buy more clothes.
If anyone hasn't seen the Hulk Out List, it's worth a look. 131 actual reasons Banner hulked out in the TV show, including "Being stuck in a cab in New York rush hour traffic" and "Having two mean football players snap wet towels at him and shove him into the steam room."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The current Avengers movie canon is that Bruce Banner once shot himself in the mouth and the other guy spit it out. So an automatic weapon from a few feet away probably ain't gonna do it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure I remember a comic with Banner getting nuked and the Hulk emerging from the blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking

Johnny Aztec posted:

I used to think so too, but defenders hulk is written like Lenny from "of mice and men" with the cheese dialled up to 11. He's more or less the spidey super stories version of hulk. When writers try to take hulk seriously it never works for me (didn't he eat people in something?)

That list is amazing. TV hulk is stardust level Mary Sue revenge fantasy.

• Locked thread