Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I wouldn't call Bjergsen's ult a display of skill.

Is this going to be another one of those games, all too familiar from the EU LCS, where Bjergsen has a solid game from stats but is largely useless in the actual game? That happened in TSM's last game against CLG...

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Bjergsen PLS

Wildturtle just seems so off.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Dyrus was just proxy farming, in C9's base, two lanes at a time.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Corki making such a comeback. There was debate about him going Berserker or Sorcerer's with him being heavily Magic damage... but with Soraka Magic Resistance shred, I'm not sure he needs them. Too bad Morgana doesn't have it anymore. If they'd been able to get Shyvana instead of Renekton, I think it'd be more one-sided for Cloud9.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 6, 2014

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Dear lord. Hai's ult completely negated the Explosive Cask.

C9's laning is disgusting.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I love Soraka mid being used as a vehicle for early game distruction. So much for being a passive boring heal fest.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Scarra's channeling his power to extend the Dignitas curse into Korea.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Xenogenesis posted:

Scarra's channeling his power to extend the Dignitas curse into Korea.
Just curious, are you talking about the Najin Black Sword vs Samsung Blue set, or do you mean some NA LCS thing I missed?

Talk about baron throws though, Najin Black Sword showing NA how it's done. Admittedly they had other problems than that throw that sealed their fate (Limit adopting the MaRin Renekton build and doing zero with it, PRay and Cain underperforming :( ), but still.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

babydonthurtme posted:

Just curious, are you talking about the Najin Black Sword vs Samsung Blue set, or do you mean some NA LCS thing I missed?

Talk about baron throws though, Najin Black Sword showing NA how it's done. Admittedly they had other problems than that throw that sealed their fate (Limit adopting the MaRin Renekton build and doing zero with it, PRay and Cain underperforming :( ), but still.
Yeah I was talking about Masters.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:
Just came back to post this

uaciaut posted:

top3: c9, tsm, clg (post-dexter return)
midpack: coast, dig, curse
bottom: xd.gg, eg.na,

:smug:

I didn't have the balls to predict EU because i knew it would be a lot closer and it would've been hard to call, i expected Gambit and SK to effectively be in each others' position and CW to be higher compared to now but oh well.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Xenogenesis posted:

Yeah I was talking about Masters.
Ah, gotcha. Man, I can't wait for Wednesday morning. Time to see if SKT K can come back from the dead, and if they do, see which unlucky second seed team ends up being drawn by them.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
That masters meant another bunch of games full of Nidalee spears, yay. Getting pretty tired of seeing that champ in mid. I hope Riot does something like apply a CD penalty on miss treatment to spears, or ding the Heal.

My predictions for NA were shamefully bad, I only got about 3 places right.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Nidalee has to wait. It's more important to rework Lee Sin/Gragas. If Kassadin is anything to go by Nidalee will probably be reworked sometime in mid 2015.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So C9 couldn't break or tie their record for most wins in a season, but they DID achieve another record: this is the first time that a team has had a winning record against every other team in the league. Even when C9 went 25-3, they were 2-2 against Vulcun, and now they're 4-0 or 3-1 against everyone.

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

Is the standings page wrong?
http://na.lolesports.com/na-lcs/2014/split1/standings

I thought tsm and c9 were tied before their match?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Unless Riot decided to remake the game and play it in secret and it went the other way while none of us were looking, yes that standings page is wrong.

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

Jonny Angel posted:

Unless Riot decided to remake the game and play it in secret and it went the other way while none of us were looking, yes that standings page is wrong.

God drat that is a nice troll by Riot.
I checked the standings page today at work, since the match was at 3 am for me. Seeing the results I got exited (tsm fan). What a good game I will have to watch when I get home.
Well this isn't going too well, I wonder how tsm makes the comeback...
Any moment now...
What!?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
Watching the replay of the OGN games this morning, it looks like that successful strategy by Prime Optimus is triggering a shift in the metagame for now.

It's happened a few times since in South Korea and North America, but they are fairly aggressive in killing champions. I wonder if the seemingly slower Europe scene will adopt the same strategy?

Alternatively, I'm curious if Riot will address it directly like they did with the tower armor increase.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
Scarra is going off on a commentary about how the trinket changes have changed the level 1s to be a coinflip and how the lack of vision is throwing everyone off.

What I don't get: this is how every loving game was last year. What the loving poo poo? Yes, supports need to loving decide whether they start with a few wards or go with a lane oriented item if they want to sacrifice vision.

It's like they forgot the entire "invade, let the support get their wards down so we can get favorable jungle starts and see if they want to 2v1." Literally every game used to be supports taking 5 wards and pots. That sucked for the supports, but hey, that was what the meta dictated, so go back to that to get an advantage rather than "ruh roh, we don't have any vision! we better invade and roll the dice! Riot really ruined the game!"

or riot will come up with something like "support items now enable trinkets to be placed 30 seconds early!" or something like that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Scarra is so well spoken and comfortable speaking publicly, Riot really needs, like desperately needs, to fire Riv and get Scarra to replace him for commentary. Yeah he's a coach for one team but who the gently caress cares, pro sports have biased commentary all the time.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

mushi posted:

Scarra is going off on a commentary about how the trinket changes have changed the level 1s to be a coinflip and how the lack of vision is throwing everyone off.

What I don't get: this is how every loving game was last year. What the loving poo poo? Yes, supports need to loving decide whether they start with a few wards or go with a lane oriented item if they want to sacrifice vision.

It's like they forgot the entire "invade, let the support get their wards down so we can get favorable jungle starts and see if they want to 2v1." Literally every game used to be supports taking 5 wards and pots. That sucked for the supports, but hey, that was what the meta dictated, so go back to that to get an advantage rather than "ruh roh, we don't have any vision! we better invade and roll the dice! Riot really ruined the game!"

or riot will come up with something like "support items now enable trinkets to be placed 30 seconds early!" or something like that.

We're probably still in a the adapting period and teams don't adapt super fast.

Still, if he's just describing what's actually happening Scarra's not wrong, as long as he doesn't say something like early warding is impossible.

With gp10 items becoming more useful for supports the wards are more of a tradeoff than before though, if you bring nothing to lane but wards and the other brings a combat stats item it might be dicey. So we get safe stacking for 2v1s so supports can by items.

That, and I don't miss the support all-consumable start being the norm, so I kind of wish Riot would just revert it.

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 6, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Thank you hopeless, last place Korean team for teaching CLG how to be boring again

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

That, and I don't miss the support all-consumable start being the norm, so I kind of wish Riot would just revert it.
Yeah, I mean I guess the question is what do they want level 1's to actually look like? It doesn't seem like they want no invading whatsoever, and they want supports to have items, and they want people to lane 1/1/j/2 or something, and I kind of think some of those goals are mutually exclusive. If you start having invades, you're going to have a lack of straight up even laning.

But they don't seem like they're the best at understanding how their changes affect pro play. I wonder what they're thinking after the fast 2v1 lane swap tower push, trying to influence the game into straight up laning, and then seeing NA LCS go to "take two towers now and avoid fighting altogether until dragon becomes worth enough.

Also, this Dig/CLG game is hilarious. The game is slowing devolving into ARAM except draft. DAM?

edit: CLG is looking good just by virtue of dig being slow at evreything. You'd think of all teams, Dignitas would recognize when a team is trying their hardest to baron throw that poo poo. If annie was there 2 seconds sooner that would have been a tibbers slaughter.

mushi fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 6, 2014

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
ADAM

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
15 minute baron, no problem. CLG is running a train over Dig.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Give the cameraman a raise. It's pretty awesome seeing Kha'zix disappear and reappear like that.

Edit: Well, at least Dignitas got one kill.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Goddamnit Doublelift.

21 minute game :drat:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Holy poo poo... CLG is dominating DIG so hard.

3 inhibs at 20 minutes, 1 for 7 in favor of CLG :stare:

Game ended 21:35 Holy poo poo!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That was pretty grim to watch from DIG perspective. Props to CLG!

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Woah, has there even been a more one sided game this split for NA?

edit: I really like how Doublelift is basically refuting everything Scarra said directly beforehand about picks.

Grinning Goblin fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 6, 2014

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

Give the cameraman a raise. It's pretty awesome seeing Kha'zix disappear and reappear like that.

Edit: Well, at least Dignitas got one kill.

The camerawork in the LCS has been really good lately. They're making great use of switching vision to show how people are getting caught out by stealthed champions.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
This kind of macro movement focused meta is great for CLG's style and Monte's strategic focus. And he probably made them watch Prime vs SKTS

Freaksaus posted:

The camerawork in the LCS has been really good lately. They're making great use of switching vision to show how people are getting caught out by stealthed champions.

I think its ClakeyD and NhatN on observer duty still?

e: Scarra: "I think any player can play whatever champion pick they want"
Doublelift: "Cruzer's like playing Jayce, he's the only person playing Jayce - so we're like, okay, they don't really want to win"

I think Double is right here, and Scarra is making a mistake about non-meta champion picks being getting off easy. One has to think hard about why you should pick a champion and not just pick whatever.

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 6, 2014

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
Was Balls as good last season when he was playing non bruisers like Kennen? I'm just curious if its just the current meta that makes Dyrus/Balls/Nien (On Trundle) good, or if they could go back to playing carry tops and play them better as well. I don't remember the last time Dyrus played a non tanky top.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Jayisspecial posted:

Was Balls as good last season when he was playing non bruisers like Kennen? I'm just curious if its just the current meta that makes Dyrus/Balls/Nien (On Trundle) good, or if they could go back to playing carry tops and play them better as well. I don't remember the last time Dyrus played a non tanky top.

Balls' Rumble was and is still godlike, and similar with Dyrus' Vladimir. Although he didn't get to bring that one out very often.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

This kind of macro movement focused meta is great for CLG's style and Monte's strategic focus. And he probably made them watch Prime vs SKTS

I think its ClakeyD and NhatN on observer duty still?

e: Scarra: "I think any player can play whatever champion pick they want"
Doublelift: "Cruzer's like playing Jayce, he's the only person playing Jayce - so we're like, okay, they don't really want to win"

I think Double is right here, and Scarra is making a mistake about non-meta champion picks being getting off easy. One has to think hard about why you should pick a champion and not just pick whatever.

Nhat is strictly replay, I think. Clakey was too, but he may have been moved up. There is another rioter who has been doing camera work for a long time who is main observer.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Jayisspecial posted:

Dyrus was able to carry TSM by himself using Jayce two-three seasons back and Balls was probably the best Rumble player in the world and made such an amazing impact on every single C9 game. They're both incredibly good top laners, two of the best in the world but the meta right now is tanky top-laners like Doublelift explained, they play boring champions for the benefit of the team.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
I don't even think Nien is that good of an individual player. I think aside from Dyrus and Balls, NA top lane is kind of a wasteland.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Previous Jesus posted:

I don't even think Nien is that good of an individual player. I think aside from Dyrus and Balls, NA top lane is kind of a wasteland.

Yeah, I still feel like Nien's decision making is lacking. Not sure what they can do to fix it at this point, because they're so far into the season - a more dependable Top would be better though. Someone like Looper.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
Looks like another 3/4man tower push start. Despite losing in the OGN tournament, that Prime Optimus team's strategy is having quite a shakeup on the meta scene!

I kind of disagree with people who said that SKT S threw it - as Monte said, SKT's manager is invested in SKT S. I think their overall strategy just threw SKT S for a loop (the second game was closer). I don't think anyone had played against it, and SKT S had no idea how to respond.

This strategy is just really effective and safe at securing objectives and gold early... and on champions that gain a lot from early gold (like Jax and Ryze), it's loving brilliant. Twitch viewers seem to hate it, even though it seems like it makes the games more brawly and less boring to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

Yeah, I still feel like Nien's decision making is lacking. Not sure what they can do to fix it at this point, because they're so far into the season - a more dependable Top would be better though. Someone like Looper.

Looper obviously isn't a possibility though, so who do they look for? Most of the top laners in challenger do their best work on out of meta champions. The top challenger teams use those players and do well until they get into the LCS. Godlike is not an option and Westrice is kind of unreliable. Mega Zero had a pretty good run on CoL and plays a good Renekton. I don't know anyone else that I'd throw on a top 3 NA team.

• Locked thread