Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
First episode of Wixoss wasn't too bad. It's still weird that it's a super serious, grim dark, card game show, but the setup in this first episode was decent, if maybe a little too Madoka for its own good. It also reminded me of Utena and the whole "we must fight each other to become the Eternal Girl/Rose Bride", but Wixoss hasn't setup the stakes for its protagonist yet. I'm curious to see where this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Paracelsus posted:

Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro has the worst protagonist ever.

Haha, I actually found him to be the best. He's obviously being set up to become a better person or whatever but right now he's literally stealing candy from a baby and that's awesome.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Literally the biggest jerk.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm just gonna assume that show is about Rowdy Roddy Piper taking up sumo wrestling and not disillusion myself by actually watching it.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jay O posted:

On the note of Funimation's high-class acquisitions, has anyone else taken a look at that Daimidaler show because it uh...

ALL ABOARD THE QUALITY VAN!

I watched this. I can't tell if the show is trying to be late-90s-terrible (with an art style, and animation quality to boot) in an ironic fashion or if it's just awful.

Only the second episode will tell.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Finished another round of new shows:

Captain Earth - Basically Star Driver 2.0, this is definitely an Enokido show. Which means it will probably be weirdly introspective, and have a kick-sass OST. This will probably be the best non-Mushishi anime of the season.

Dragonar Academy - I have an incessant need to watch anything involving dragons, okay? Though it is shockingly light on fanservice for what is basically reverse Zero no Tsukaima. It is real heavy on tryhard, though. I didn't think you could get more generic fantasy than Blade and Soul, I stand corrected. At least the CG dragons don't look like total poo poo.

Akuma no Riddle - Continuing this season's trend of cute-girls-doing-grimdark-things. There's some interesting cinematography and art design at work here, the show is at least pretty nice to look at. I think everything is gonna hinge entirely on how straight they play the premise, though. There's potential for the story to go interesting places, but I'm not counting on it. 3 episode test.

But Still the World is Beautiful - I'm getting Spice & Wolf and FMA vibes from this, which is fine by me. It's a little heavier on the comedy than I thought it would be, but the heroine is an interesting character and the potential for political machinations is a good hook. I'll probably be sticking with this.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Hopefully future episodes of Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro actually involve some amount of sumo wrestling.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

madmac posted:

Couldn't get through more then 10 minutes of the awful LN magic academy show. "You're the most perfect person who ever lived, Oni-chaaaaaaan" is one of the most aggravating characters I've ever tried to sit through.

The best part is that she is completely correct in her belief. It is my favorite terrible ln series.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Mahouka takes itself so god drat seriously that it wraps around and I can't help but laugh at how lame and self-obsessed it is.

(it is bad, I don't feel like watching more)

Edit: at least the fight scene looked good.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 6, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I agree with the people that Akuma no Riddle had an interesting start. It's got a very death-gamey tone that fits like a glove. It's got a good mix of characters too, though imo there could still be more variety in their personalities.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Phobophilia posted:

Mahouka takes itself so god drat seriously that it wraps around and I can't help but laugh at how lame and self-obsessed it is.

(it is bad, I don't feel like watching more)

Edit: at least the fight scene looked good.

Personally I found it hilarious and plan to keep watching for the comedy value.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I watched Kawai Complex so you don't have to. Here's a review: it's like Pet Girl of Sakurasou but a lot shittier. It really wasn't funny and seemed to be trying way to hard. I'd pass on it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
As a bit of an experiment, I'm playing around with the TVIV thing of stickying threads for shows as they air. Probably will only do it at the beginning of the season because I'm sure I'll get distracted and it's a bit hard to make too big of a deal about the "airing" time of something that is available 24/7 after it airs, but hey. Will also be limited by the number of shows not having threads yet :v:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Watched Kamigami no Asobi. Flowers. Flowers everywhere. Still can't tell how likely it is to give lovers of mythology a heart attack, but if I was a betting man I'd go with: very.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Redcrimson posted:

Dragonar Academy - I have an incessant need to watch anything involving dragons, okay? Though it is shockingly light on fanservice for what is basically reverse Zero no Tsukaima. It is real heavy on tryhard, though. I didn't think you could get more generic fantasy than Blade and Soul, I stand corrected. At least the CG dragons don't look like total poo poo.
That's only because Funimation cut the dream scenes of basically full nudity.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Hey first episode testers, the reason I liked Madoka was less because of all the grimdark moe, and more for the trippy Zetsubo Sensei OP battles, should I even bother watching weak-sauceWIXOSS?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not really, there's some surreal post-apocalyptic looking stuff but nothing to compare to the inspired insanity of the witch barriers in Madoka yet.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Rexides posted:

Hey first episode testers, the reason I liked Madoka was less because of all the grimdark moe, and more for the trippy Zetsubo Sensei OP battles, should I even bother watching weak-sauceWIXOSS?

First episode was surprisingly decent. I'm giving it the 3 episode test out of curiosity, but at the end of the day it is a card game anime, no matter what it wants to be.

e: Tried out Haikyu!! on a whim, and it actually owns. That was a fantastic first episode.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 6, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'll give Brynhildr a try. It seems interesting enough.

Minor EP1 spoiler The magic is super science from what little explanation is given, so maybe it will be different?

Break Blade was also picked up by CR and the first EP is supposed to be out now.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 6, 2014

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Less than one minute into Mahouka, and a 'future world map' comes up that promises great things for this series, such as East EU of France, UK, Italy, and Spain and West EU of the rest of Europe, Turkey, Jordan, Israel, and Syria

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
All you really need to know about the world of Mahouka is that Japan has the best technowizards and is therefore the best. Nobody else really matters. :smug:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 6, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

AfroSquirrel posted:

Less than one minute into Mahouka, and a 'future world map' comes up that promises great things for this series, such as East EU of France, UK, Italy, and Spain and West EU of the rest of Europe, Turkey, Jordan, Israel, and Syria
I about fell over laughing when I saw that.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Very minor spoilers (hardly anything)

Blade and Soul - A barebadass knife fighter fights the evil empire of gun fighters. Pretty bad, lots of gratuitous fanservice, boring.

Captain of Earth - A son tries to live up to his dead fathers memory by fighting in a robot inside a robot inside a robot. Cool mecha anime is go. Could get creepy, could get cool. Three episode test on this one

The Irregular at Magic High School - Sufficiently advanced technology can be seen as magic. I guess the technology as magic is a trend. Brother and sister go to techno magic school. Also their ninjas? The Good - the fight scenes are dynamic and fun to watch, while they last. The Neutral - Japanese obsession of rank and staying in your place The Bad - weird incest plotline.

The World is Still Beautiful - A country bumpkin princess goes to the big city to marry the god-emperor of mankind. Boy is she fiercely independent and spunky. Also wind powers. Self aware in a way that annoying and rapey. It's interesting enough to watch another, but I have a feeling its self awareness will make it unwatchable.

Brynhildr - A witch/alien saves people with future reading powersThis could be depressing instead of lighthearted as I initially thought. Probably won't continue.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
One Week Friends had an adorable first episode. The pastel colors, innocent characters, chill soundtrack made it really relaxing to watch. It'll be a good weekly source of :3: and (minor spoilers since it's the entire premise) eventual :smith: whenever the week's memories reset.

e: Haikyuu!! is all the shounen burning spirit I ever needed in a sports anime.

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 6, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

All you really need to know about the world of Mahouka is that Japan has the best technowizards and is therefore the best. Nobody else really matters. :smug:

Also, the chinese are innately inferior in every way and belligerent toward glorious Nippon. The author has some serious issues.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Ulta posted:

The World is Still Beautiful - ...Self aware in a way that annoying and rapey.

What does that even mean?

Nondevor posted:

One Week Friends had an adorable first episode. The pastel colors, innocent characters, chill soundtrack made it really relaxing to watch. It'll be a good weekly source of :3: and (minor spoilers since it's the entire premise) eventual :smith: whenever the week's memories reset.

Adorable it was, but also a little dry. There really wasn't much to it that we didn't already get from the previews, and Hase's overreactions were a bit annoying. Still, the art and music is great and I want to see where they go with the premise.

e: First episode of Baby Steps was pretty good. The animation isn't the best, but it sure looks like they're playing actual tennis (not whatever silly slapping poo poo they did in Prince of Tennis). The warm-up was pretty legit too, if a little too hardcore to make someone do on their first day. I'm not sure how to feel about the whole "I memorized how to play tennis by putting it all down in a giant stack of notebooks" thing; no one does that because it's plain dumb, but maybe they can make it work in the show without sounding dumb, somehow.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 6, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I like the protagonist in Byrnhilde. Faced with a Mysterious Transfer Student being weird he immediately tries to figure that poo poo out.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

What does that even mean?

At one point two characters make a joke about raping a girl, the gist of which is "We need to rape this girl because that is what the viewers want"

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nondevor posted:

Haikyuu!! is all the shounen burning spirit I ever needed in a sports anime.

It's kind of gorgeous too, like Kuroko's Basketball but not loving boring. I'm kind of excited for vollyboyfriends.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Ulta posted:

At one point two characters make a joke about raping a girl, the gist of which is "We need to rape this girl because that is what the viewers want"

I know that, but you made it sound like every joke is self-aware and about rape. That was only a single joke, though in you're defense it's still dumb.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

I know that, but you made it sound like every joke is self-aware and about rape. That was only a single joke, though in you're defense it's still dumb.

To put another spin on it, the other prominent self awareness joke is showing a bunch of girls in swimsuits in poses so its not like the self awareness is super clever.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sakurazuka posted:

Mahouka might have actually been decent if it weren't for the horrible incest poo poo, cheers Japan.

No. Remove the horrible incest poo poo and what you are left with is yet another magical high school anime with a bland-beyond-belief protagonist who manages to be simultaneously the plucky, underrated underdog and the hyper-competent prodigy, and a supporting cast constructed with a checklist and a careful eye to removing anything of interest or substance. Oh, yes, and if I'm remembering correctly, a whole load of natwank. And then it, by some magic I do not fully understand, takes this poo poo sandwich of a premise and makes it even more obnoxious. There is not a single element of this whole thing which is not a thin streak of diarrhoea. :argh:

Phew. Okay, rant over.

I don't know what it is about Mahouka that makes me really loving mad about anime, but I am real loving mad about anime. :smith:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.aniplexusa.com/p3m/

Persona 3 Movie preorders start tomorrow. Limited quantity available.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

ViggyNash posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about the whole "I memorized how to play tennis by putting it all down in a giant stack of notebooks" thing; no one does that because it's plain dumb, but maybe they can make it work in the show without sounding dumb, somehow.

It's pretty much the main character's gimmick forever. He makes detailed notes on his opponents' strengths, weaknesses, and plays and uses those notes to strategize. Not being a tennis person, I have no idea whether his strategies are legit or not, but at least they're not ~~magic tennis powers~~ like most sports anime.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Autonomous Monster posted:

No. Remove the horrible incest poo poo and what you are left with is yet another magical high school anime with a bland-beyond-belief protagonist who manages to be simultaneously the plucky, underrated underdog and the hyper-competent prodigy, and a supporting cast constructed with a checklist and a careful eye to removing anything of interest or substance. Oh, yes, and if I'm remembering correctly, a whole load of natwank. And then it, by some magic I do not fully understand, takes this poo poo sandwich of a premise and makes it even more obnoxious. There is not a single element of this whole thing which is not a thin streak of diarrhoea. :argh:

Phew. Okay, rant over.

I don't know what it is about Mahouka that makes me really loving mad about anime, but I am real loving mad about anime. :smith:

It's also really inexplicably popular so there's that too. You could say because Japan, but it has a fanbase in the West too for some reason, or at least one dedicated enough to give it high rankings on manga lists which is how I first ended up reading it in the first place.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Phew. Okay, rant over.

I couldn't even finish that first episode. It's terribly infodumpy in the dullest way possible (heck the direction itself is really dull, which just compounds its problems). I wound up skipping ahead only to learn that one of the protagonist's powers lets him analyze magic so uh, that means he just infodumps more and more.

It seems to me like it just indulges in practically all of the terrible light novel vices. I recall hearing that people compare it to SAO, and that seems legit considering how much of a wish fulfillment character the protagonist seems to be.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Ulta posted:

Isn't the source material shoujo? Are they moving the audience or something with the adaptation?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zorak posted:

Isn't the source material shoujo? Are they moving the audience or something with the adaptation?

To be fair, shoujo can be rapey as gently caress.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

protagonist who manages to be simultaneously the plucky, underrated underdog and the hyper-competent prodigy

Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus...wait, this isn't D&D!

The main character being somehow "the weakest and the strongest" is oddly common; it's also seen in Index, Naruto, and Bleach, for instance. I suppose SAO deserves credit for never trying to pretend that Kirito was in any sense the weakest. In general, I think it makes for a better story if the main character starts out above or below average but nowhere near the weakest or strongest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Zorak posted:

The first episode was almost all original, since the first chapter starts more or less where the first episode ended. I guess they wanted something a little more action to start off.

• Locked thread