Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Completed and mastered:
Costume Quest - Nice, little game with some minor things that should have been ironed out. Recommended.

In progress:
Guacamelee
Oniken
Trine (for 100%)
Bioshock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Beaten
South Park: The Stick of Truth - Fun Paper Mario style gameplay mixed with the hilariousness and outrageousness of the TV show. I am burned out on this game for now due to several false starts trying out the different classes and losing my saves due to reinstalling the OS on a SSD. I may come back later to get the rest of the achievements if I feel like it.

Working on
Fallout New Vegas - I've spent 200+ hours on it and have yet to finish it.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Yay, more crap removed from the backlog:

Nulled: Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time
While the graphics style is nice, I just don't enjoy time manipulation games at all. And then add the tedious moving of boxes to climb over even the smallest of obstacles made me stop after 20 minutes.

Beaten: Driftmoon
I really enjoyed this small "casual RPG" game. I loved the perspective which reminded me of old Amiga games.
Funny though, I have no problems with made up fantasy religions, but the constant mentioning of praying, hamfisted references to Heaven, The Pearly Gates and including the Christian bible in one of the lore books almost made me quit. Ugh...

Nulled: EtchASketch
Part of the Freeze Tag Fun Pack #2 and it's a really bad version of a platformer where you have to draw lines, the character can walk on.

Beaten: The Graveyard
Or at least I guess I beat it, as in I moved an old lady forward for 5 minutes, sat her down on a bench, then a song played for two minutes and then she died. The End?

Nulled: Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes
I knew this was not the most beloved game amongst goons, but at first it looked OK. Then a "hero" in sunglasses arrived and drat did everything become obnoxious all of a sudden.

Nulled: Iron Brigade
A Double Fine game I needed to play before GFWL closes down, as it's not planned to become fixed.
Loved the style of a WW1/Steampunk setting, but Orcs Must Die and other "action Tower Defense" games never really appealed to me, so it's not a great loss for me to see it go forever.

Nulled: Lightfish
A nice little Qix clone, but not as good as Fortix 2.

Beaten: Little Inferno
I expected to play this for 10 minutes and ended up finishing it in one go. It was strangely hypnotic and the story was a fun one too.

Nulled/Maybe Later: Little Racers STREET
Top down arcade racing game that was actually pretty fun to play. I finished the first car series and might go back and try some of the other series later. Definitely worth checking out if you are a fan of the style, and the game is on sale or in a bundle.

Nulled: Oniken
Way to hard for me.

Nulled: Paranautical Activity
Arena FPS in a blocky world. Mildly amusing in the same way that taking a bloody dump is amusing.

Nulled: Rush Bros
Not a platformer I enjoyed and even though it's only a couple of days ago since I played it, I can't even remember why. That's how boring it was.

Beaten: The Secret of Hildegards
A brand spanking new Hidden Object Game? Woohoo!
Except it's 4 years old, locked at a 4:3 aspect ratio, has the most annoying mini puzzles and a story that ends in the middle of it all.
Plenty of HO parts though, but again no replaying of those scenes after finishing the game.

Nulled: Vanguard Princess
What the gently caress?!

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Fart of Presto posted:

Beaten: The Graveyard
Or at least I guess I beat it, as in I moved an old lady forward for 5 minutes, sat her down on a bench, then a song played for two minutes and then she died. The End?

Yes, that's all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

saucerman posted:

Yes, that's all.
The Graveyard is exactly the kind of thing people are talking about when they use "artsy" in a negative context. That it came out when the original Dear Esther was at the height of its popularity is entirely coincidental, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

The Leper Colon V posted:

The Graveyard is exactly the kind of thing people are talking about when they use "artsy" in a negative context.

I usually defend those kind of games but even I have a hard time in this case. Maybe it would be acceptable if it was free but paying $5? Although I read the demo is the whole game except you don't die.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I was going to say The Path is probably the premier pretentious walk-around-doing-nothing ART game but wow, Dear Esther was originally a mod in 2008. I also blame The Path because all the people I know who don't even play video games were posting all over their Livejournals about this amazing experience about aging and death blah blah blah you hold right for 5 minutes.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Just beat Assassin's Creed 3. It's a bit of a mess. More than anything I think it lacks cohesion - it feels like a skeleton without any meat on it that is just barely holding together. A lot of things were not fun for me at all. The Frontier was incredibly unfun to traverse (a huge sin for an AC game) as free-running on the trees didn't work very well and was often confusing. I tried to climb tree viewpoints a few times and didn't manage to get to the top even once. Running on the ground was fine unless it's winter, in which case you're moving at half-speed, which sucks. Bears and wolves were almost always instant death for me because the QTEs just didn't seem to work right. I'd mash whatever key I had to mash and still lose all my health. And hunting just wasn't fun. So put all of this together and I had zero incentive to spend any time in the Frontier, which means I didn't do any Homestead missions or collect items there. Perhaps I missed out on some fun stuff by skipping that and Peg Leg trinkets.

I also didn't bother with the new economy system because it was buried in a terrible UI. Menus within menus within menus. Likewise for the assassin missions. It felt like a chore to try and figure out how to get into these aspects of the game, but since I didn't hunt or improve my homestead the economy would've been probably limited for me anyway. This also meant I was lacking funds throughout the game, which meant I couldn't upgrade my items or my ship, so some missions were more frustrating than they perhaps needed to be.

It's not all bad, though, since the naval missions I did were very fun and I enjoyed the setting. There were some cool setpieces, and Haytham was a great character. The AC meta-story is a guilty pleasure of mine so I liked Desmond's sequences as well, and I'm happy to finally see some kind of ending to that (as terrible as it was). Overall the game is not quite the disaster I thought it was when I was only several hours in and the gameplay consisted of walking from one cutscene to the next, but it's a disappointment. Also the credits are 15 minutes long and literally unskippable.

On the plus side, I also beat Edna & Harvey: The Breakout, and it's one of the best adventure games I've played in recent years.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Beat - Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls: Since the Loot 2.0 patch Diablo 3 has been loving fantastic and RoS just makes it better. The Crusader class is really neat, the new act is a welcome addition, the transmogrifying and enchanting of items is rad, and Adventure Mode is what people really wanted out of endgame Diablo 3. The only downside is the loving garbage story and characters as usual but what do you want it's a Blizzard game.

Beat - Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death: an initially charmingly low budget God of War clone that soon becomes repetitive and annoyingly low budget in the "who loving designed this, why is this so janky" kind of way. It's over the top and insane with some nice environmental graphics and it's occasionally funny but the platforming and puzzles are awful and tedious and the combat is only okay.

What's loving crazy is that this is apparently a Microsoft joint partnered with some small Slovenian company. How the gently caress that came to be I have no idea but kudos on them for:
  • Shoehorning in multiple top-down shmup segments into this weird game, as bad as they are
  • Having the unintentionally funniest ending I've seen in a while
  • Having a playable Choplifter clone as the credits sequence

e: oh and it also has an achievement for skipping all of the cutscenes. what?

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 30, 2014

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
BEAT: Cloudbuilt. The later levels do not gently caress around. Despite beating it to an ending and some credits, I'm not remotely done with it, either; there are four endings, and getting them all involves playing through 20 levels or so.

The level forking is kind of weird from an "OK, you win" standpoint; instead of branching out in the late game as often is done, the branching happens immediately, so it's basically four totally independent tracks of five levels each to play. (There's some overlap, most obviously the single, unique level 1, but beating those once counts for all paths.) Due to the levels being ungodly brutal as you move towards the end, you're strongly encouraged to sort of take it breadth-first anyway.

Here I am being decent but not great at it.

IN PROGRESS: Card City Nights. Started getting back into this enough to actually start building decks on purpose.

IN PROGRESS: Rayman Legends. It started falling by the wayside because :swoon: Cloudbuilt :swoon: but I think I can give some more time to this again soon.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Beat: Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.
Very nearly nulled this one as seen upthread due to a lovely 'puzzle' but the game didn't repeat this and was an absorbing and disturbing experience with a brilliant atmosphere which had me jumping at every noise and double-taking at shadows. You're very rarely in actual peril, you don't hide in cupboards and there's no materials management to speak of, it's almost an 'experience' rather than a game. I forever expected the jump-scare but they aren't really there, with the dark story, oppressive environments and excellent sound doing the job on their own.

It's short at just under 5 hours, especially since I played 'hunt the secret door' for an hour at the start but I'd recommend it to fans of the original.

That's my backlog pretty well dealt with for now, so I'm back in the market. Messing about in X-Plane for now, proving I could totally land a 747 if the pilots were incapacitated but Concorde, not so much. Playing around with some of the downloadable freeware and I can't wait to take a Sopwith Camel for a whirl in the skies of Bristol.

Considering picking up X3: Albion Prelude seeing as I was holding off for Rebirth and that's not very good. Also thinking about Kerbal Space Program but I see that's still in Alpha. Just keeping an eye on the Steam sales, really.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nulled: Amulets & Armour - I played this back in the day and was put off by the terrible 90s control scheme. These days there's a windows native version with mouselook and bindable controls. Unfortunately, while it has a lot of cool ideas, it's kind of a slog to actually play. The UI is still overly clunky for things like equipping different weapons/items (it desperately needs hotkeys), but the big problem is that enemies take forever to actually die. On top of that, melee attacks are unavoidable, and ranged attacks tend to be very hard to see coming (arrows) or are homing, explosive, or in some cases cover-penetrating (magic), which means it's effectively impossible to complete a fight without taking a bunch of damage. And your only source of healing is potions (expensive!) or sitting around waiting for your natural health regeneration for ages (tedious!).

I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of this with a better UI and more finely tuned combat, and I believe something like that is actually in the works, but for now I don't think I'll be finishing it.

Nulled: Hitman 2: Silent Assassin - I remember this being cool but kind of clunky. Realistically, next time I'm in the mood for some Hitman, I'm just going to play Blood Money.

(new) Null: DotA 2 - it's in my Steam game list for some reason. I'm never going to play it.
(new) Unplayed: Dead State - Backed it ages ago. It's on Steam Early Access now but I'm not going to play it until it's done.
(new) Unplayed: Heroine's Quest: the Herald of Ragnarok - Freeware, and despite the kind of generic name it looks like it might actually be good.

(new) Now Playing: Sleeping Dogs - Holy poo poo, it's GTA: Ridiculous Kung Fu Movie Edition with the combat from Batman: AA. I am enjoying the poo poo out of this game.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Beat: Papers Please - Very very very good. There is something oddly enjoyable about the drudgery of stamping papers. It's also odd that I enjoyed it considering my actual job is basically comparing two sets of information and looking for discrepancies. It was also kind of funny because I actually applied some similar skills to the game that I use in my actual job. By the end of the game, I had all the seals and issuing cities memorized and had a set process down for efficient processing. Of course my job doesn't involve terrorists, spies and a looming fear of being shot. Either way, the game was really pretty well done and I felt like the build up to the end was really well done. I got the whole family including the niece out to Obristan. :)

Next, I think I'm gonna try and beat World in Conflict: Soviet Assault. Beat the main game once before but the Soviet missions are a nice change of pace. Not like theres any meaningful differentiation between the USSR and NATO units (I think USSR gets heavy tube artillery instead of the MLRS NATO gets) but still new missions are nice. And the old ones are fun anyway.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Yodzilla posted:

e: oh and it also has an achievement for skipping all of the cutscenes. what?

I can't decide if that's better or worse than having an achievement for sitting through all the cutscenes, which A.R.E.S. had.

BEATEN: Card City Nights. Once I sat down and decided the kind of deck I was going to have, I wound up delivering a ruthlessly efficient crushing to every challenge left in the main game.

:siren: GIANT NERD ALERT :siren:
That was fine, though, because I was running a "defensive burn" deck which I called the "Iji Turbo Shredder": It was basically the Iji Legendary (a ridiculously powerful defense/lifegain card), a bunch of fast revives to keep said Iji legendary enabled while incidentally doing damage to my opponent as a side effect, and a giant pile of very arrow-harmonious attack cards some of which had revives as a side effect. There are more effective decks out there - browsing the Steam forums there are more aggressive mill/burn decks that win more reliably than mine did, even though I ultimately never lost a complete match - but Turbo Shredder was a blast to play. (Based on the decks I faced, Turbo Shredder is basically an immortality deck, and there are more reliable ways to build those too but I do not presently have the patience to grind Stoneface for the amount of time it would take to get farm up the four Lichious Turnips I'd need.)
:siren: STAND DOWN FROM GIANT NERD ALERT :siren:

There are still some bonus bosses left, but I'm thinking my non-action game will be Shadowrun Returns while I continue to work on alternate paths in Cloudbuilt.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Stuff I played in March:

-Beaten-

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic - I remember buying this several years ago, getting about halfway in then getting frustrated with it so I put it down and never started again. Decided to play through and finish this time. You know...there's a good, possibly great game here, but the combat is strange, the physics are hilarious, and it just constantly feels like it's missing the mark. The boot of death is great though.

STALKER - Shadow of Chernobyl - Played with the ZRP mod, everything left at default vanilla, mainly wanted the bug fixes. The first few hours of this were pretty frustrating, but once I got a decent gun and armor, my enjoyment of it went way up. Some incredibly creepy locations (Yantar, the underground labs) and extremely atmospheric. Kind of let down that the last stage or so of the game (including the true ending part) is a huge slog against heavily armored foes but if you're good with headshots it goes a little quicker.

Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - A guilty pleasure, beatable in a couple of hours.

One Finger Death Punch - Beat the first difficulty level. For a game that only uses two buttons, it's amazingly fun.

-Nulled-

DarkStar One - gave this one a bit more of a chance, after 3 1/2 hours though I just felt like I wanted to be playing something else.

Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded - Boring as hell.

Zombie Shooter - Worse than Alien Shooter 2, and boring as hell.

STALKER - Clear Sky - Got a couple of hours in, and it seemed sort of pointless to me. I wasn't interested in the faction wars system, the story just seemed like an excuse to shuttle you around to do the faction wars stuff, and it didn't have a lot of the dread and spookiness that made SoC memorable.

Far Cry 2 - I really wanted to like this game, I really enjoyed FC3 and Blood Dragon, but there's something about it that just doesn't click for me.

-Played-

STALKER Call of Pripyat - going to come back to this, was getting a little burnt out on the series.

Running With Rifles - a fun distraction. For being an Early Access game, it's perfectly playable and pretty solid.

Drox Operative - now with the Invasion of the Ancients DLC. Took up most of the first part of the month playing this.

Tales of Maj'Eyal - and this took up the last week of the month. Pretty fun game.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Trying to work through my ~800 game backlog.

So far this week I've:

NULLED

The 39 Steps - cool concept, but boring. Maybe after I read the book I'll think about playing it.

Euro Truck Simulator - I straight up don't get the attraction. I've also driven a ~600,000 kms in the last ten years though. I don't think it's fun.

FUEL - I'd rather play burnout paradise.

Frozen Synapse - I don't have the time to invest in a game this deep. Cut my losses early.

Multiwinia - I don't even know what this is, I just know I don't want to play it.

Superfrog HD - I'll probably play this with my son, but for now it's a pretty crappy platformer.

Oozi: Earth Adventure - see Superfrog HD

Surgeon Simulator - I don't see the attraction. Maybe as a party game, but I don't play computer games at parties.

RefleX - I suck at bullet hell shooters, and I don't want to learn on a keyboard. I'll just play Jamestown again.

eXceed Gun Bullet Children - see RefleX

Redshirt - Interesting game, but after binging on it for a couple hours, I just think it feels kind of vapid. Like actually being on Facebook for two hours. I have funner things to play.

Saints Row 2 - I played it on the 360. I don't want to bother with a buggy PC port.

Magical Drop V - I think I might have to go to jail if someone sees me playing this. Also, I'm somehow utterly terrible at it.

BEATEN

Gunman Clive - I beat it on normal, and really enjoyed it. Took a little over an hour. The graphics are really well done, the sound and music are nice, and it's basically just a competent retro platformer. I doubt I'll go back to it.

Savant Ascent - Cool music based shooter. Pretty short. I might come back to this to try the score attack and endless modes. The boss took me a couple tries to figure out because apparently I am dumb. Clearly a mobile port, but worth a couple bucks or as a bundle pickup.

Where Angels Cry - A Hidden Object game. I wanted to know what the attraction to this genre was. It certainly isn't the cutscenes or VA, if this game is any indication. Regardless, the puzzles were fun to figure out, and there's something enjoyable about just breezing through a game. I'll probably play more of them. Strictly bundle pickups though.

Love - Another retro platformer, this time more in the graphical style of VVVVV or Atari style games. Definitely a lot of replayability here for people who want to build their score. Personally, I died moments before the end using the 100 life mode, and said gently caress it and replayed using the infinite life mode. I probably won't replay this, but it's worth checking out. The jumping and movement feels really good.

I'm currently working on Shufflepuck Cantina (man, this is a long game to beat), and will grab something else randomly from the list.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
I keep playing games not on my currently to-do list, but as long as the backlog is getting smaller I count it as a win.

Completed:
Path of Exile (Normal) - Great game, especially considering the budget and resources gap between this and Diablo 3. The latter might be the better game, after Loot 2.0 and the expansion (haven't tried them yet), but I found Path of Exile to be pretty drat impressive for a free to play game. Recommended.

In progress/Next in line:
-Bioshock

To-do:
-Guacamelee
-Oniken
-Trine (for 100%)
-Probably some other random game not in the queue

EDIT:
Completed:
Bioshock - Great game with a grand story. A lot of the game mechanics were improved in 2, but the first one is still magnificent. Recommended.

A lot of people in the Steam thread recommended Sleeping Dogs, so (like I knew would happen) I'm gonna break the queue and try that one out first.

EDIT 2:
vMy new pal knows what's up. To clarify: I've lately been using this Playfire Rewards Beta system to pick out games to play, and although the small amounts of cents you get for achieving things may not be the greatest incentive for some (and maybe it shouldn't be, but I'm not judging any penny pinchers), getting someone else/Playfire to pick games for you is great. If you're like me, you'll enjoy picking ONE of the maybe 5-8 games they present you with each day/every week, and not stress with getting oh-my-god-all-the-achievements-for-every-game-think-about-all-that-money. Instead, you can wait for the games' achievements you didn't have time to play to come up again at a later time.

Case in point: Sleeping Dogs and Batman: AC both have rewards for the next 5-6 days. I will only play, and really enjoy, Sleeping Dogs and not stress with playing Batman: AC. When rewards for playing Batman: AC shows up at a later time, and that's the game of the bunch I want to play the most that day/week, then it will get my undivided attention.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 6, 2014

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

My new pal Downs Duck alerted me of a new way to select games from your backlog if you're like me and you have trouble choosing:
Playfire hooked up with GMG and every week give challenges (ie get x achievement in y game) and reward you with small amounts of money on GMG. Even if you don't want/need the money for new games, it gives a good way of picking some games. It's in beta, so don't be surprised if you find a glitch or whatnot, but it's still worth looking at.

Meanwhile, I Completed Sleeping Dogs and holy poo poo is that game good. I highly recommend it to everyone.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Is this thread exclusively Steam games or can we post about games from our backlog in general? I have a lot of games to complete on Steam, but also on PSN and Gog. Can they be posted about here? It's cool if not.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Is this thread exclusively Steam games or can we post about games from our backlog in general? I have a lot of games to complete on Steam, but also on PSN and Gog. Can they be posted about here? It's cool if not.

I do and haven't gotten boo'd at yet. It's just that, arguably the biggest backlogs are on steam.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I've certainly been mentioning GOG games here too.

These aren't, though.

COMPLETED: Card City Nights. Got all the achievements, too, because why not. The Card Gods were kind of pushovers; I had more trouble against The Biggest Fan than them. Smug Falconer put up the biggest fight, but a string of disables and some well-timed bombs put her to rights.

COMPLETED: Bunibon. It was free for Android, and it got a bunch of references in CCN, so I figured I'd look at it. It's basically a minimalist challenge platformer designed to be played for very short periods of time, so it's pretty good as a mobile game.

Making some progress in Rayman Legends and thinking about firing up Shadowrun Returns for my new B-game.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Beat:
:darksouls:
What a game, I really regret giving up so soon after the PC version came out.
There are some flaws and rushed parts but the product as a whole is downright amazing.
I already started my next run and I'm about 1/3 in, that's another thing I love; you really do get better but you never downright overpower things to a degree of being invincible.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I managed to work through a few more games this week. Most of these are actually games I had installed back in August/September or earlier and realized I hadn't played since, so there is no point in keeping them when I couldn't even be bothered to play them again.

Nulled: Aliens vs. Predator
For all you youngsters out there, I have some information you might not like:
Getting older often means not enjoying jump scares anymore :(
Yeah I nulled this because I'm a loving chicken. While it looked cool and I would probably have loved to play it 25 years ago, I just don't enjoy horror games at all anymore. It's the same with horror movies and I was a Argento/Fulci fanboy back in the 80s too.

Nulled: Anomaly 2
I played halfway through #1 before quitting that. This one, I can't even remember how few missions I played (only 1?) before quitting. It's not bad - I just didn't feel anything.

Nulled: Bionic Commando
The remake of a classic arcade game looked amazing, but when you only come back to it every 2-3 month, you kinda forget the controls and why you keep coming back to a game that didn't hold your interest long enough the first time around.

Nulled: Drunken Robot Pornography
I actually played quite a bit of this when it was still in Early Access and liked it quite a lot. 3D bullet hell arcade platformer worked really well for someone like me, who are not into bullet hell shooters or platformers (or really a lot of other genres, now that I think about it), but this one was pretty drat fun.
Right until you get to some of those levels where the difficulty has been ramped up or where you just can't figure out how to beat one of the bosses.
I gave it a go again as it was out of EA, and it was definitely more polished but I didn't want to got through all the jumping and shooting once again.

Beaten: MURI
What the hell!? How did I end up finishing this turd of an 8-bit retro semi-metroidvania game?
It was boring as hell, an annoying 2 (3?) channel chiptune, graphics that wasn't that far from what I did for demos back on the C64, a story about.. I don't know.. some anime crap.
I could have spent those 2 hours writing Borderlands fanfic. I guess we'll never know how Claptrap got that name now...

Nulled: Orcs Must Die! 2
I wasn't that hooked on #1 and when I noticed I hadn't played #2 since August, it was an easy choice.

Nulled: PixelJunk Eden
I absolutely love the graphics and sound in this game, but I haven't played it since August and still have a lot left in my backlog, so off you go.

Nulled: Space Rangers 2: Reboot
I only nulled this because the HD version is finally released.

Currently playing
On a positive note, I keep coming back to Hero Siege, which is interesting, as I did like Binding of Isaac (until the DLC), but never really got into Spelunky and Rogue Legacy, which are the three games I would most compare Hero Siege to.
I also started up on Shadowrun Returns again after they finally added that save game feature.
Finishing up Borderlands 2 DLCs, goating around in Goat Simulator and enjoying a wacky world in Jazzpunk.
Lined up to play very soon: The Blackwell Legacy, King's Bounty: The Legend, On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 2, Prototype.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Fart of Presto, was that the original or AvP Requiem (2010)? I played AvP Requiem (2010) a while back and honestly I was freaked out at first. By the time I got to the Nightclub section, I realised that I could handle any situation and suddenly it wasn't scary anymore. Besides the Alien and Predator parts of the game are great fun, where sneaking up on a soldier is really rewarding and hilarious.

I find with horror games that you can often rush the jump scares and remember that even if you die you'll come back stronger. Just don't ask me how I'm getting on with Dead Space though. :(

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

PowerBeard posted:

Fart of Presto, was that the original or AvP Requiem (2010)? I played AvP Requiem (2010) a while back and honestly I was freaked out at first. By the time I got to the Nightclub section, I realised that I could handle any situation and suddenly it wasn't scary anymore. Besides the Alien and Predator parts of the game are great fun, where sneaking up on a soldier is really rewarding and hilarious.

I find with horror games that you can often rush the jump scares and remember that even if you die you'll come back stronger. Just don't ask me how I'm getting on with Dead Space though. :(
Yeah it was the 2010 version.
And nightclub? I only saw some Mayan temple or something like that before quitting.

Dead Space didn't really get to me in the scare department. I quit that a few hours in because the dude took up 2/3 of screen which is another thing that makes me null games: I want to see what's going on, not watch a protagonists rear end - even if it's perfectly formed digital butt.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
If I remember correctly, after the initial temple level you come across a base with it's own nightclub / bar that the Aliens somehow took over and controlled the rave lighting. :stare:

Dead Space's close camera might just be down to how they want the player to feel tension during each encounter. Isaac turns slowly and the cameras close view means you're usually caught off guard by an enemy you'd normally be able to see in something like Max Payne.

I also slogged through Afterfall: Insanity, which is the poor man's Dead Space in every possible conceit. I'd almost recommend playing that as it helped me come to terms with being a scared baby. Problem is, it's a terrible game which no one should play. EVER!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I might add Afterfall: Insanity to my To Play Soon-list.

Completed: Jazzpunk
What a cool, stylish, crazy and fun adventure game. If you feel like a quick laugh (4 hours to get all achievements), it's definitely worth checking out.
Awesome art style, some cool jazz and great voices make the story complete, as it's already pretty drat out there.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Fart of Presto posted:

Yeah it was the 2010 version.
And nightclub? I only saw some Mayan temple or something like that before quitting.

Different games probably. He's talking about something called AvP Requiem which seems to be a PSP game, whereas you played Aliens vs. Predator (full title).

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Sorry, I thought I had read online that AvP 2010 was AvP Requiem? Curse these reboot titles! :argh:

VALIS666
Jan 15, 2007

Fnord!
edit: sorry, wrong thread

VALIS666 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 6, 2014

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fart of Presto posted:

I managed to work through a few more games this week. Most of these are actually games I had installed back in August/September or earlier and realized I hadn't played since, so there is no point in keeping them when I couldn't even be bothered to play them again.

Currently playing
On a positive note, I keep coming back to Hero Siege, which is interesting, as I did like Binding of Isaac (until the DLC), but never really got into Spelunky and Rogue Legacy, which are the three games I would most compare Hero Siege to.

I hear you there. I have a ton of games that I'll start but have to put down for work/didn't quite grab me but I was willing to give another shot and I never do (i.e Unepic). I should really just null them but one of these days....

And Hero Siege is actually a lot of fun. I didn't get into Spelunky either but I did really like Rogue Legacy. Hero Siege is a little rough around the edges and it seems like theres a bunch of unfinished features (more skills, classes) but it's a lot of fun and pretty hard at first. Although it seems once you get a snowball rolling with items, you become pretty unstoppable by the end and bosses seem waaay easier than some of the regular enemie.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Zedd posted:

Beat:
:darksouls:
What a game, I really regret giving up so soon after the PC version came out.
There are some flaws and rushed parts but the product as a whole is downright amazing.
I already started my next run and I'm about 1/3 in, that's another thing I love; you really do get better but you never downright overpower things to a degree of being invincible.

I'm thinking of finishing this before god-knows-what happens with GFWL. Could happen they work it out/convert it/patch it to Steamworks, but better safe than sorry.

I think I'll try it after Sleeping Dogs.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Fart of Presto posted:

Beaten: MURI
What the hell!? How did I end up finishing this turd of an 8-bit retro semi-metroidvania game?
It was boring as hell, an annoying 2 (3?) channel chiptune, graphics that wasn't that far from what I did for demos back on the C64, a story about.. I don't know.. some anime crap.

For the record: sound is a 1-channel chiptune simulating the old PC speaker, graphics are simulating the Tandy Graphics Adapter, and specifically the first Commander Keen and Duke Nukem games. The C64 was juuuust starting to get actual competition from the PC at the tech point this game is targeting.

I would generally agree that both Iji and Hero Core by the same designer are more fun games, and also free.

And you beat it because it's over fast and the level design is secretly pretty decent. :D

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Time for me to get in on this support group.
I have a 730 some game list.
Ive beaten about 100 of them.
I've probably played to some degree half of them.

I have a bundle addiction.

Here are some of the games I have recently whittled out of my list:

-BEATEN-

Brothers-Tale of Two Sons - Holy crap this game is amazing. Short and sweet and good.

Shelter- Ehh. honestly wasn't all impressed and the short play time was more of a blessing than a curse.

The Walking Dead- man. Clem...

Bang Bang Racing- micro machine style isometric Racer. Higher quality than most of its brethren on Steam. worth a play through if you have a controller.

-NULLED-

Bridge Constructor- not really worth my time.

-CURRENTLY PLAYING-

Sonic Allstars-Racing Transformed- I recently got a controller for my PC so I've been playing a lot of controller ideal games. This is one of them. It is awesome.

Tomb Raider- This is the reboot. So far so good i guess.

One Finger Death Punch- I beat the first difficulty level, But I keep going back to it from time to time. I should probably put it in the completed section soon.

Dark Souls- Interesting game and of course balls hard. I kinda lost interest but I am not throwing in the towel yet.

Bioshock Infinite- I am close to the end on this but I kinda got fatigued. I need to get back into it since I understand the ending is supposed to be great. No spoilers please.

Typing of the Dead: Overkill- Man this game is awesome. And my typing skills suck so hey killing two birds with one stone here.

Goat Simulator- Dumb fun.

Marlo Briggs and the Mask of Death- So much fun, but I got distracted by Bioshock Infinite and haven't return to it.

Narco Terror- Janky as gently caress but I like these types of shooters. I think I am close to the end so I am just gonna push through when i find the time.

Torchlight II- I got about half way through and got bored. I haven't figured out if I will null it or keep going.

As you all can see I have trouble committing to just one game.

She Bangs the Drums fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 7, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Beat: Inversion - an awful game with a hilariously serious story told about as poorly as possible. Sorry Saber Interactive, I actually kinda liked TimeShift but between this, God Mode, and RIPD you're seriously the bottom of the action game barrel.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shufflepuck Cantina

I actually enjoy the arcade gameplay this is based off of, but holy poo poo this is the most egregious use of grinding to replace content I've ever seen. You have to buy every character's biographies in order to unlock get a spaceship part, and you need 12 or 13 parts. You do this by earning money playing games of shufflepuck (table hockey). You earn around 1-200gp per match on the first floor, a little bit more on the second. Unlocking new floors costs 3-5000gp. Every biography for the first character costs 8000gp. After about 3 hours of play I've unlocked a floor, but still don't have enough to get the first part. There are in-game achievements for doing things like scoring 2000 and 5000 points off of rebounds. I think I have like 200.

This is a game that should have had a tight little story and been over after 3 or 4 hours with some extended content and survival modes (which it does have). It would have been a solid, easily recommendable game. Instead, it would probably take longer to finish than most jrpgs. gently caress that. Nulled.

What a waste of a developer's time and resources.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Nulled: Painkiller: Black Edition and Hotline Miami.

I never played Painkiller when it was big so the nostalgia factor can't carry the game for me. I loved Serious Sam 3 and everyone seems to love P:BE so I figured it'd be great but nope, bored as hell. I only played up to the Necro Giant boss, so I'm sure it turns into FPS nirvana after only 8 or so hours of 'apply shotgun to demon, repeat." Good music, though.

Hotline Miami was a great time when I bought it, stringing combos together and running around like a maniac bringing a knife to every gunfight. Then I picked it back up this week with the intent to finish it (restarting from the beginning to shake off the rust), and it's nothing but frustration. I don't remember the controls being this bad, I'm having trouble with levels I breezed through previously. Not fun anymore, so into the bin category it goes. Good music, though.

Beat: Bastion, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Metro 2033, Spec Ops: The Line, That Sonic Kart Game

Bastion was a fun, short game I'd recommend beating if it's in your backlog (and it probably is, since it's the after dinner mint of Humble Bundles at this point). Not going to do NG+ though.

Blood Dragon was the same deal, (great) fun and short. So many references, so much corny action movie schlock, so many explosions. It's what Duke Nukem Forever should have been, I guess? Probably the best use of $7.50 I've gotten from Steam, aside from Dark Souls of course.

Metro 2033 started to wear a bit thin near the end but it's still a great FPS in general. The setting, sounds, characters and varied enemies made nearly the whole campaign enjoyable. I say nearly, because gently caress librarians. If you haven't played the game, I'll let you find out what a librarian is on your own.

Spec Ops has some of the best 'oh poo poo' moments of any game I've played. The combat is a functional gears of war chest-high-wall-em-up, but there's a reason people won't shut the hell up about it in the 'post little things in games' thread. It's only a 6-8 hour campaign, and well worth the time for the way the story plays out.

Sonic Transformed and Racing All Stars Simulator 2013: Revengeance: A Hideo Kojima Game: Gaiden. It's Sonic Kart, yet you can pretend Sonic doesn't exist and play as a Russian general in a tank. Played all of the campaign mode, I'll come back to it every now and then and unlock another thing or rack up another star.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 7, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Completed:
Sleeping Dogs - Incredibly fun, I'll just post a link to my review of it:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ghost_of_bukowski/recommended/202170

EDIT: ^"Bastion as the after dinner mint of Humble Bundles" :golfclap: So true, and loved what I've played so far, but it will have to wait just a bit longer in the queue.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 7, 2014

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Jordan7hm posted:

Shufflepuck Cantina

I actually enjoy the arcade gameplay this is based off of, but holy poo poo this is the most egregious use of grinding to replace content I've ever seen. You have to buy every character's biographies in order to unlock get a spaceship part, and you need 12 or 13 parts. You do this by earning money playing games of shufflepuck (table hockey). You earn around 1-200gp per match on the first floor, a little bit more on the second. Unlocking new floors costs 3-5000gp. Every biography for the first character costs 8000gp. After about 3 hours of play I've unlocked a floor, but still don't have enough to get the first part. There are in-game achievements for doing things like scoring 2000 and 5000 points off of rebounds. I think I have like 200.

This is a game that should have had a tight little story and been over after 3 or 4 hours with some extended content and survival modes (which it does have). It would have been a solid, easily recommendable game. Instead, it would probably take longer to finish than most jrpgs. gently caress that. Nulled.

What a waste of a developer's time and resources.

You are playing it wrong. You use the stars you earn playing to play that video gambling terminal. With proper technique you can 'win" tens of thousands of credits. I unlocked all the floors in an hour. and had about 5 spaceship parts in 3 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Been a couple weeks. Been a couple games.

NULLED
Beatbuddy - Tale of the Guardians - The music just got to me after a while. Not a bad game, but an hour in, I couldn't stand it anymore. Metascore isn't terrible, and the steam reviews are generally positive. Just not for me.

Dungeon Hearts - Sorta casual, sorta match 3. Yet I got annoyed quickly, and it's not really a match 3 game. Is there even an end game of any sort? As far as I could tell you just played as long as you could until you eventually died. Meh. Played for a few hours, but there's just too many better games out there to dick around with.

MAYBE LATER
Bit Trip Runner 2 - Hell yeah. I was hoping for another Bit Trip game that I would be terrible at but with better graphics. My prayers have been answered. Sigh. I like this game, but I suck. Too old for the repetitive rhythm aspect. I do just fine early on, but once again - the more things they add in the worse I do until I just get angry and can't stand it. "OK OK OK OK just one more try" can only take me so far. Put a few fun but frustrating hours into it. May come back later if I feel like getting pissed off.

Don't Starve
- I like the art style a lot, but just couldn't get into it. Never lasted more than 3-4 days, and I know I barely scratched the surface. From what I read, death is pretty drat inevitable though. Completely different games, but I think FTL will just have to remain my roguelike of choice.

Surgeon Simulator - Played for a few hours, but hadn't touched it in months. It amuses me, but not enough to keep it installed on the off chance that I'll feel like playing it. Vow to go back and complete a surgery someday. For now, my crowning achievement was getting the tape into the VCR.

BEAT
Crysis 2 - Played the first Crysis a couple times over the years. Won't be replaying this one though. Looks absolutely great, but the urban setting just didn't work for me. A big part of the fun in the first one was the semi open world aspect of some parts. Approaching a goal from whatever angle you wanted, and loving around with North Korean guards. This was more or less on rails, and it took a lot away from it for me. On to #3, I guess.

Rage Scorchers DLC - Played through the base game about a year ago, and liked it quite a bit. Picked up the DLC during the last sale and finally got around to playing it. Ooops. First off, I could barely remember anything about the game other than thinking the ending was abrupt and dumb. Reinstalled and chose to continue. The game made me re-do the final bit of the main story, and then gave the option to basically free-roam though the game. Fine and all, but I couldn't remember where anything was. Took about 30 minutes of wandering around and googling things to get myself to where you could access the DLC mission. Then I found myself way the Hell over powered for what I ran into. Walked through everyone like they weren't even there. Interesting and all - I did really like the base game, but I should have bought this at the same time and played it all at once. Oh well. Lesson learned.

Red Faction Guerrilla - Decided to install GFWL games that I have and play them just in case things really do get screwed when GFWL goes down for good. Had heard good things about this. Was not disappointed. Silly story, with graphics that are aging fast, but a heck of a lot of fun for what it is. Rebel fighter on Mars taking it to the man with explosives and a sledgehammer of doom. Gets a bit repetitive, I guess, but there's a lot of fun to be had just beating the crap out of buildings with a hammer. Or setting a dozen charges around the base and setting them off while you're inside the building. Infinite sprint, and a near total lack of fall damage are a big plus. If Just Cause 2 had this kind of building destruction, it would be the perfect Michael Bay game.

Unstoppable Gorg
- Fairly basic tower defense game, but it worked for me. Set up different types of satellites that orbit around planets or ships that you need to protect from incoming aliens. Sometimes they're stationary. Most of the time you can move them around their orbits. Bonus points for a cheesy 1950's sci-fi storyline. I think it was in a bundle or something - worth checking out if you like TD games.

Velvet Assassin - I'm terrible at stealth games normally. To the point that I rarely play them and finish them even less often than that. There's absolutely nothing great about this game, but I did make it all the way through. Wanna play a C- stealth game where you're a woman that likes to stab the poo poo out of a few hundred Nazis? Give it a shot. If you're into stealth games, you should probably just play the Hitman games instead though.

CURRENTLY PLAYING
If the Steam tags are accurate, the only two GFWL games that I hadn't tried yet were Dead Rising 2 and Dark Souls. Not sure what the Hell I think of Dark Souls after an hour, but intend to play it more lest I face goon wrath. Early impression of Dead Rising 2 is that it sucks butt, but I'm only 22 minutes in right now.

That being said - "Uninstalled - Not Played" category now sitting at 145 games. Not bad progress when it was recently 225. (Don't install lovely games from bundles, people.)