Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Why is it that even in female-centered promotions like SHIMMER, et al, literally every single referee is a man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Castomira posted:

Why is it that even in female-centered promotions like SHIMMER, et al, literally every single referee is a man?

I don't know about Shimmer, but in most promotions could it be concern over male-on-female violence during ref bumps?

For what it's worth, the indie I used to go see in Regina, Saskatchewan had a female ref.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Castomira posted:

Refereeing is pretty much the last gasp for guys that really want to be in the business but aren't physically capable of wrestling long-term or charismatic enough to be a manager. End result, every indie connected to a training camp has their own set of referees that sucked at wrestling and sucked at promos but were still willing to pay the fee for referee training, which means the pool of 20-something male referees nationwide is pretty massive.

Meanwhile a female that doesn't wrestle is pretty much assured a valet/manager gig no matter how uncharismatic they may be. Some of them do choose to go into refereeing instead, obviously, but it's not as automatic as it tends to be for men.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Did the WWF or even WCW ever seriously pursue getting Arnold Schwarzenegger to wrestle a match during his prime? Arnold wrestling in a tag team main event ala Mr. T would have been a huge draw. It also seems like of any celebrity he would be the easiest to convince since he was friends with Jessie Ventura and Andre the Giant and seems like he might be a genuine wrestling fan.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
What are considered some of Sting's best matches?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Officer Farva posted:

vs Flair from Clash 1
w/ Luger vs Steiners from Super Brawl I
War Games 91
War Games 92
vs Vader from Starrcade 92 (and most of the Vader matches)
vs DDP from Nitro in 99

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

oldskool posted:

Refereeing is pretty much the last gasp for guys that really want to be in the business but aren't physically capable of wrestling long-term or charismatic enough to be a manager. End result, every indie connected to a training camp has their own set of referees that sucked at wrestling and sucked at promos but were still willing to pay the fee for referee training, which means the pool of 20-something male referees nationwide is pretty massive.

How does Little Naitch fit into this?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Officer Farva posted:

Vs Jeff Hardy from Victory Road 2011

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Officer Farva posted:

vs. Flair, Clash 88

Wargames 91

Wargames 92

vs. Vader, Starrcade 92

vs. Cactus, Beach Blast 92

vs. DDP, Nitro April 1999

vs. Kurt Angle, Bound for Glory 2007

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
Nice. Thanks, guys.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

I'm looking for a vintage sandman white budweiser blood sweat and tears shirt, do you guys have any good sites or is ebay the main route?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Gonzo McFee posted:

I agree. I agree.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Castomira posted:

In some places it is probably also to keep costs down. From what I remember, most of SHIMMER's initial shows were run on the same weekends ROH had events in the Chicago area, so they could use the same ring crew, refs and other workers.

Which also lead to some entertaining dark match stuff like the Come As You Are Rumble before the first SHIMMER taping, which featured like half the ROH roster at that time.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Did you see how fast he beat him? Talent.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Germansimp posted:

In some places it is probably also to keep costs down. From what I remember, most of SHIMMER's initial shows were run on the same weekends ROH had events in the Chicago area, so they could use the same ring crew, refs and other workers.

Which also lead to some entertaining dark match stuff like the Come As You Are Rumble before the first SHIMMER taping, which featured like half the ROH roster at that time.

If I remember correctly, there was one single female referee in the WWE in the late 80s or early 90s. She didn't last very long, she was either ran out or quit due to sexual harassment. I would like to think the locker room would be a lot better about that now but who really knows?

EDIT: Per Wikipedia;

quote:

Rita Chatterton (ring name: "Rita Marie") was a former referee who is noted for her stint in the WWF in the 1980s. She is known for being the first ever female referee in the WWF, possibly in pro wrestling history.[96] Her times there, however, were shrouded in controversy, due to sexual harassment charges against owner McMahon. On April 3, 1992, Chatterton made an appearance on Geraldo Rivera's television show Now It Can Be Told alleging that on July 16, 1986 McMahon tried to force her to perform oral sex on him in his limousine and, after her rebuttal, subjected her to rape.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I am watching the HBK/Taker match from WM26 before WM starts right now.

As I stopped paying attention to WWE at the time, how long was Matt Striker on commentary? Because dear God he is horrific.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I've been tuned out since about a week after Cena returned early. Where's Mark Henry, Sheamus and Show at?

And is it looking like the Shield will split anytime soon?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Nilbop posted:

I've been tuned out since about a week after Cena returned early. Where's Mark Henry, Sheamus and Show at?

And is it looking like the Shield will split anytime soon?

Mark Henry is taking some time off after Brock Lesnar laid him out. Sheamus and Big Show are in the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal

They teased The Shield breakup for several weeks but then turned them face after a feud with The Wyatt Family. They will probably split at some point down the road

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
What is this blue dot thing supposed to be referencing?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Perdido posted:

What is this blue dot thing supposed to be referencing?

Vince's proposal to cover up Christian's ugliness.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

MassRafTer posted:

Vince's proposal to cover up Christian's ugliness.

What, just constantly have a blue dot over his face on RAW?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Perdido posted:

What, just constantly have a blue dot over his face on RAW?

Yes. This was literally a thing Vince suggested. I like Christian but he's so ugly. What if he had a blue dot over his face like the networks did with the woman that accused some Kennedy of rape? Cause like he's so ugly that you can't show him on TV!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yes. This was literally a thing Vince suggested. I like Christian but he's so ugly. What if he had a blue dot over his face like the networks did with the woman that accused some Kennedy of rape? Cause like he's so ugly that you can't show him on TV!

I thought he was specific that Christian's face bothered him for reasons other than ugliness.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What was the last major WWE show before tonight that had 4 different 20+ minute matches?

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

flashy_mcflash posted:

That's what I thought - how could someone hope that Taker would be the mystery partner when that was his first exposure to the audience? Unless you were in attendance for those tapings.

Sorry, went away for the weekend. I should explain I'm in Belgium. At the time, we got WWF PPV's for free on cable, but with a significant delay. So I saw the Survivor Series after Taker had already shown up in vignettes and I think doing squash matches. I either missed Survivor series recaps or the programs were edited to keep the results out of Superstars and Wrestling Challenge.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Thauros posted:

What was the last major WWE show before tonight that had 4 different 20+ minute matches?
Survivor Series 1996.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Bad Wolf posted:

Sorry, went away for the weekend. I should explain I'm in Belgium. At the time, we got WWF PPV's for free on cable, but with a significant delay. So I saw the Survivor Series after Taker had already shown up in vignettes and I think doing squash matches. I either missed Survivor series recaps or the programs were edited to keep the results out of Superstars and Wrestling Challenge.

Ah, that makes sense. We were in a bit of a bubble here in Canada so I can understand if you didn't see the PPV live you wouldn't know the results until later. It was such a different time, pre-internet.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So I think we can all agree that yesterday Daniel Bryan had a huge, impressive night. Can anyone think of another Pay Per View event that had one person competing multiple times and winning so cleanly and effectively? Closest I can think of is Brock at Rumble 03 where he overhead suplexed the Big Show on the way to winning clean, then entered, dominated, and won the Rumble Match.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

projecthalaxy posted:

So I think we can all agree that yesterday Daniel Bryan had a huge, impressive night. Can anyone think of another Pay Per View event that had one person competing multiple times and winning so cleanly and effectively? Closest I can think of is Brock at Rumble 03 where he overhead suplexed the Big Show on the way to winning clean, then entered, dominated, and won the Rumble Match.

Jericho defeated Rock and Austin at Vengeance 2001.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

maniacripper posted:

Jericho defeated Rock and Austin at Vengeance 2001.

You missed the part where he said 'cleanly and effectively'.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bret Hart at KOTR 93?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Great White Hope posted:

You missed the part where he said 'cleanly and effectively'.

It was clean by 2001 standards :colbert:

Effective as heck too :colbert:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Does Bryan's knee have a name yet?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Halloween Jack posted:

The Knee That Beat John Cena

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Jay 2K Winger posted:

The Knee That Beat John Cena

The Knee That Beat John Cena AND Triple H!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The Push

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Halloween Jack posted:

It's a flying knee.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I thought Bryan referred to it as a Solid Knee Plus a few weeks back.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Halloween Jack posted:

Last night it was called That's The Knee That Beat Triple H

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

This knee kills fascists