Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Bugsy posted:

Too expensive.

And isnt strive just multi-kicker?

It's more like Replicate; the big difference is that you only need to use one counterspell to counter something with strive, and you can't strive something onto the same target over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Bugsy posted:

Too expensive.

The only difference I see is that Strive doesn't let you target the same creature multiple times, which is sort of relevant with Heroic around.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

More importantly, this heralds the return of a fan favorite creature type: Starfish.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Also:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

More importantly: does mono-black's sweeper see play and lock up the deck through rotation, or is it too expensive and/or too weak to some of the format's best creatures?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Also, this lady seems like a candidate for constructed play, though I don't know if she's powerful enough for existing Merfolk decks:

A couple of good activations of her seem like they could win a game for you by themselves.

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...

I'm excited to have another 2/1 for B.

Get in my cube.

taladel fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 7, 2014

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I'd imagine it'd make trying to fit Nighthowler and Herald of Torment into a mono-black shell more appealing while running this wrath.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Mike Flores's article starts with:

quote:

Why would I possibly want to blow up all my own creatures?

...and then talks about various Wrath effects for a few hundred words, and finally previews... a lovely one-drop Merfolk that looks best at home in a Group Hug Commander deck. Did he think he was getting Extinguish All Hope while writing the first 3/4ths of his article? If I didn't read the Extinguish All Hope article first, I would've been really disappointed that he didn't preview a playable Wrath*.

* Okay, I don't actually read Flores articles, but there were still all the pictures of Wraths!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Bugsy posted:

Half of all mechanics are just kicker.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I really like the versatility that one-armed minotaur bestow guy represents. It's a great one-drop, it can push through damage by pumping your best attacker or by taking out their best blocker. This is the kind of design space I wanted out of aura creatures. Now all I want is to see a bestow creature that's like a 2/5 with Defender or something.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

...and then talks about various Wrath effects for a few hundred words, and finally previews... a lovely one-drop Merfolk that looks best at home in a Group Hug Commander deck. Did he think he was getting Extinguish All Hope while writing the first 3/4ths of his article? If I didn't read the Extinguish All Hope article first, I would've been really disappointed that he didn't preview a playable Wrath*.

* Okay, I don't actually read Flores articles, but there were still all the pictures of Wraths!

I think you're underrating the merfolk, but yes that is a very Floresian thing to do. The article could only be more Floresian if he started talking about Napster and/or Finkel, I think.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

taladel posted:

I'm excited to have another 2/1 for B.

Get in my cube.

This. Go Cube!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

Did he think

Why would he start now?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

BJPaskoff posted:

It was actually about symmetrical effects! Like wraths. And wraths. And.. wraths :geno:.

I don't think the Merfolk is that bad, though - she might not make the cut, but the effect is powerful enough to merit investigation.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Looks like Journey Into Nyx is delivering on Enchantment matters. Neat.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Black bestow aggro deck with the new minotaur, spiteful returned, herald of torment and nighthowler maybe? Add tormented hero to round out the one drop slot, maybe pain seer, and a suite of removal backed by the new sweeper?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Yay, monstrosity's back! hopefully inspired and tribute stay dead though

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

A big flaming stink posted:

Yay, monstrosity's back! hopefully inspired and tribute stay dead though

Presumably they are since they weren't mentioned in the mechanics of JOU article.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

tzirean posted:

Now, all the Enchantress players explain why this isn't the card they have asked for!

I'm not even an enchantress player but I can tell you: no shroud (already mentioned), lovely place on the mana curve.

Even without shroud, I'm thinking it would have been much more playable as a 1G 0/1.

Upsides: does cantrip itself, Replenish effects are suddenly massive value (though possibly win-more).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

lovely place on the mana curve.

I could play Moat or a one-two punch of RiP and Energy Field, or I could play this 2/2 that does nothing to stop me from getting murdered!

I like all the Enchantments that help Enchantress in this Enchantment block like

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Strive is pretty much multikicker and Constellation is Allies For Enchantments. Maybe the cards end up cool but mechanically that seems kinda uninspired.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Attorney at Funk posted:

I really like the versatility that one-armed minotaur bestow guy represents. It's a great one-drop, it can push through damage by pumping your best attacker or by taking out their best blocker. This is the kind of design space I wanted out of aura creatures. Now all I want is to see a bestow creature that's like a 2/5 with Defender or something.

My thought as well. The Bestow effect is definitely one of the most interesting they've printed so far.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Constellation is Allies For Enchantments.

Hey, unlike Allies or Splice, they didn't demand an obscure type they'll never print again for it to work.

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Black bestow aggro deck with the new minotaur, spiteful returned, herald of torment and nighthowler maybe? Add tormented hero to round out the one drop slot, maybe pain seer, and a suite of removal backed by the new sweeper?

An aggro deck would never play that sweeper. Sweepers are played against aggro decks, not in them. A deck like the one you describe would top out at Desecration Demon and wouldn't even sniff six mana. See this for an example.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yah, I've been waiting for a bestow creature with defender ever since the mechanic was spoiled. Given that minotaur, it seems likely that there will be one.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Yessss, a one drop for my minotaur tribal that stays relevant mid to late game outside of being a minotaur.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

And suddenly I'm strongly tempted to grab a playset of Boros Charms and forsake my beloved Hidden Strings and make R/W Heroic :black101:

Maybe move the Hidden Strings and make this deliciously silly as hell B/U Heroic deck a friend showed me yesterday and laughed at my reaction to. Imagine turning an Artisan of Forms into an Agent of Fates, then casting another spell on it and using the Artisan's heroic trigger to turn into something nice on your opponent's field before the Artisan-as-Agent's heroic trigger also goes off and makes your opponent blow it up.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 7, 2014

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Strive is pretty much multikicker and Constellation is Allies For Enchantments. Maybe the cards end up cool but mechanically that seems kinda uninspired.

It's Theros, the entire set is uninspired and boring.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

taladel posted:

An aggro deck would never play that sweeper. Sweepers are played against aggro decks, not in them. A deck like the one you describe would top out at Desecration Demon and wouldn't even sniff six mana. See this for an example.

Well yeah I know about mono-b control. Im just spitballing ways to utilize all the black bestow guys since they seem to be the most useful in general and good all over the curve. I'm sure it will end up being another useless sweeper but black bestow control sounds kinda neat anyways.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

50% of all mechanics are kicker or multikicker, and they've frequently said they sort of regret kicker / multikicker existing as its a generic thing that covers massive swaths of modular card designs when making more narrow mechanics allows them to explore other areas of design. Strive seems largely unremarkable but it's clearly intended as a more draft-centered mechanic to give another tool for the heroes deck.

And I dunno, there's only a few ways they could have done enchantment matters as a standalone without it outright duplicating stuff they previously did with artifacts. Allies were cool but overly narrow generally speaking other than in a parasitic "Allies" deck, this represents different ways to draft the existing sets and also gives any number of possible directions you could go with building around cards. I mean, you don't just need Constellation creatures to trigger Constellation, you can use any enchantment.

I am pumped for most of the cards spoiled, especially the stupid 0/3 scrying Starfish because I am a moron.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Well yeah I know about mono-b control. Im just spitballing ways to utilize all the black bestow guys since they seem to be the most useful in general and good all over the curve. I'm sure it will end up being another useless sweeper but black bestow control sounds kinda neat anyways.

A bunch of the black bestow dudes are used in the BG Dredge deck that's floating around on the periphery of standard. It's a pretty fun deck.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zorak posted:

A bunch of the black bestow dudes are used in the BG Dredge deck that's floating around on the periphery of standard. It's a pretty fun deck.

Nah, that starfish is pretty kick rear end.

I just hope they push constellation to the best of their abilities to put out cool effects. I rather adore enchantments and if they flop on this, we aren't going to get another block like this one for a long time.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Zorak posted:

I am pumped for most of the cards spoiled, especially the stupid 0/3 scrying Starfish because I am a moron.

Same here!

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's first instinct was to head over to magiccards.info and see what other Starfish creatures there were.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's first instinct was to head over to magiccards.info and see what other Starfish creatures there were.

I did the same.

Bad news is that there is only one non-changeling starfish. Good news is that it multiplies itself.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Mr. Peepers posted:

My first instinct was to start working on a Grand Architect list for Modern.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Mr. Peepers posted:

I vaguely remembered only one, and it turned out it was the only one. Then I thought it was a Fallen Empires card, but I must've confused it with Homarid Spawning Bed for some reason. Probably because I can't think of too many blue token generators.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Here is a god that happened.

Looks like a thing.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Madcap skills for their entire board?

gently caress Off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I like Satyr Hoplite's flavor text, even if it means Wizards is (probably) taking the easy way out and making Xenagos into an enormous baby-eating :evil: prick.

• Locked thread