Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

That thing is insane. Is that real?

Pseudo-indestructible on the attack and evasion for their entire board?

At 4 mana, and the effect is indestructible too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

So how many cards get revealed?

Looks pretty cool so far. I want that Starfish.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

:stare:

You could take off either one of those abilities and he'd probably still be playable

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dungeon Ecology posted:

The Wizards account apparently posted it on Reddit, so I guess so!

Karmoderm
Aug 24, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Strive is pretty much multikicker and Constellation is Allies For Enchantments. Maybe the cards end up cool but mechanically that seems kinda uninspired.

Inspired was last set, I think you must be confused.

I like the 2/1 bestow guy, it made me double take on whether bestow prevents you from bestowing onto their guy (not that there would be any reason why it would specifically prevent you but it's not a situation that I've thought about before) and it's definitely interesting design space that I hope they explore further in the set. The starfish looks really good and Starfishes in general are excellent.

Extinguish All Hope looks to have extremely strange art to me, at least in digital form. It looks stretched (possibly because of Erebos' different proportions compared to his card, while the composition is very similar). Hopefully it'll look less weird in real life.

Whitewater Naiads is also interesting design space, it's a very powerful effect and good body and I'm looking forward to considering more strongly the enchantment nature of THS and BTG creatures - at the moment being an enchantment is kind of incidental for creatures so more strong effects which are impactful across the whole draft are welcomed.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Let's not go nuts, it's gruul war chant that lets your creatures win combat all the time. How important is it for Big Boros to win creature battles? Is it worth playing a potentially dead card in non-creature matchups?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Pseudo-indestructible on the attack and evasion for their entire board?

At 4 mana, and the effect is indestructible too?

Trick Jarrett (Magic's social media guy) also posted it to his Twitter.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
RW aggro definitely looking solid against mono-B or RG or anything where the game plan is "play fat blockers so they can't profitably attack".

Revoke Existence/Unravel the Aether looking really playable.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

tzirean posted:

And there's the card all the Enchantress players have asked for:

Now, all the Enchantress players explain why this isn't the card they have asked for!

Something nobody's complained about yet: This says ETB, real enchantresses say Cast. That's a big distinction against the Cryptic Command decks I really need card advatange against.

End of Life Guy posted:

Madcap skills for their entire board?

gently caress Off

Goblin War Drums + Dolmen Gate, no power buff.

Iroas shocks me by actually being reasonable for my Zedruu deck. Nice high power, plus he goes well with either my handful of horrible finisher monsters, or the occasional swarm of tokens.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Victor Surge posted:

Here is a god that happened.

Looks like a thing.

Somebody really wanted to buff Goblin War Drums I guess!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Iroas, God of Turning Mans Sideways

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
And now it looks like I'm going to have to make R/W heroic, too. Good thing I tried before and thus have Anax and Cymede as well as Boros Charms. Shame the mana requirements are too intense to really support Naya, Selesnya charm and Unflinching Courage are really good.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

LordSaturn posted:

Something nobody's complained about yet: This says ETB, real enchantresses say Cast. That's a big distinction against the Cryptic Command decks I really need card advatange against.

Yeah, it's a nice try but doesn't do anything fun in legacy :(

Maybe there's some sort of goofy modern enchantress build that can make use of this, but the ETB vs. cast distinction probably hurts it too much against control, and it's too high cost for anything like boggles.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Iroas, God of Turning Mans Sideways

I get the feeling that he's going to be working mostly with Cats rather than Mans, and they're ones not very prone to be turned sideways :v:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Victor Surge posted:

Looks like a thing.

That seems extremely powerful.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Hero of Iroas into Brimaz into enchantment Iroas into Stormbreath (and creature Iroas) into hello face

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 7, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Iroas is good, but he's going to need some major support like all of the gods. Brimaz is pretty kick rear end, yeah, but he'll be needing some more double mana little dudes to at least help him out in getting on the battlefield as he does possess the ability to help a lot in aggro.

His abilities, on their own, while good, aren't going to be pushing very hard without significant board presence already.

So yeah... waiting for more spoilers before I say poo poo.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Niton posted:

Also, this lady seems like a candidate for constructed play, though I don't know if she's powerful enough for existing Merfolk decks:

A couple of good activations of her seem like they could win a game for you by themselves.

So if you did build around this, you would be comparing the worth of the card you could be drawing vs your opponent until you reached four mana. Then you drop Notion Thief and draw two for U each round. Could be a hilarious combo for EDH decks with those 3+ multiplayer games, drawing however many cards as there is opponents.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Victor Surge posted:

Looks like a thing.

Why does it have two static abilities when the BNG 2 color gods only have 1?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Bugsy posted:

One for the man part, one for the horse part.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
yeah Iroas seems very pushed in the same way that Thassa seems very pushed. I'm pretty sure they could have left just one of those abilities and it would be more balanced

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bugsy posted:

I imagine this will be the theme of the Nyx gods since they're all enemy colours, having two abilities that are different parts of the god's respective colours as opposed to the single ability that was the sum of both for the last ones.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

With the current mana base, I'd say that leading up to Iroas, you'll either need to pick white or red and then get to multicolor stuff around three mana or so to stay optimal.

Our low end drops for the colors.

Perhaps Ash Zealot can finally see some play? I absolutely adore her too, she just kicks so much rear end.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

an skeleton posted:

yeah Iroas seems very pushed in the same way that Thassa seems very pushed. I'm pretty sure they could have left just one of those abilities and it would be more balanced

One for the lady part, one for the fish part.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ramos posted:

With the current mana base, I'd say that leading up to Iroas, you'll either need to pick white or red and then get to multicolor stuff around three mana or so to stay optimal.

Our low end drops for the colors.

Perhaps Ash Zealot can finally see some play? I absolutely adore her too, she just kicks so much rear end.

Zealot is a mainstay in the burn decks that are running around in standard.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I'm holding out for "Kruphix, God of U/G: At the beginning of your upkeep, Coiling Oracle" :getin:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

redstormpopcorn posted:

One for the lady part, one for the fish part.

Does Pharika get one for each snake?

Bugsy posted:

Zealot is a mainstay in the burn decks that are running around in standard.

That are doing so well with monoblue around?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
One nice thing about Iroas is that you can even swing your Firedrinker Satyr into your opponent's huge fatty with no worries - something that, for example, Frontline Medic doesn't do.

E:^ RW burn is literally a thing, man. A bunch of GP top 8s, pretty big on MTGO, and so on.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Jabor posted:

One nice thing about Iroas is that you can even swing your Firedrinker Satyr into your opponent's huge fatty with no worries - something that, for example, Frontline Medic doesn't do.

E:^ RW burn is literally a thing, man. A bunch of GP top 8s, pretty big on MTGO, and so on.

Fair enough, I guess I've just been seeing a lot of blue lately with my local meta.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

redstormpopcorn posted:

One for the man part, one for the horse part.

That's clearly a bull body, not a horse body!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

A reverse-minotaur. Considering his brother is Mogis, that makes sense.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
One card and the stupid hero BS from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9V15bUJQAk

quote:

Heroes' Bane
3GG
Heroes' Bane enters the battlefield with 4 +1/+1 counters.
2GG: Put X +1/+1 counters on Heroes' Bane, where X is its power.

In addition, we see the equivalent to the Hero cards for this set: equipment. Now, it does look as though some of the text is missing, but here is what we see:
[Black Prerelease]
Lash of the Tyrant
Equipped Creature gets +1/+2 and Deathtouch
Equip 2

[Blue Prerelease]
Cloak of the Philosopher
When Equipped Creature deals damage, scry 1
Equipped Creature gets +1/+1
2 Untap Equipped Creature
Equip 2

[White Prerelease]
Spear of the General
Equipped Creature gets +2/+0 and First Strike
Equip 2

[Red Prerelease]
Axe of the Warmonger
Equipped Creature gets +2/+1 and Haste
Equip 2

[Green Prerelease]
Bow of the Hunter
Equipped Creature gets TAP to deal 2 to target creature or player
Equip 2

We also see the final Hero Card:
The Champion
2 TAP Exile the Champion. Search your library for a legendary artifact that isn't a creature, reveal it, and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library

Card image since I figured out how to see the actual image:

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 7, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Got to say, that haste cyclops just keeps getting uglier every time I look at it.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I was like :v: Kalonian Hydra that costs mana instead of attacks!

Then I saw no trample. :smith:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I am a very very very happy man right now. drat Iroas, thanks for making R/W devotion viable again!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I think that Merfolk could potentially be really powerful and makes a strong contender to get in the mono-U deck, and maybe even some control builds.

If you're a control player and you need a very specific out card like Verdict, Sphere, or Sphinx to survive/win, you could activate that Merfolk on their end step, and again on your upkeep, to find it. Along with your draw phase, that's up to 3 tries to get that card you need. That's pretty awesome.

The 2/1 B dude is very good too, since he actually works with Mogis' Marauder if they're both cast on the same turn, while Tormented Hero doesn't. The Boros god makes Sylvan Caryatid worse and Elspeth not as good the turn she comes out, and I can definitely see it getting some potential play.

I don't think anyone mentioned that Hall of Triumph could be very good in White Weenie decks, as it's another anthem card you can have on board. It actually fits pretty nicely into any aggro deck and I expect it to see some play.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

qbert posted:

I don't think anyone mentioned that Hall of Triumph could be very good in White Weenie decks, as it's another anthem card you can have on board. It actually fits pretty nicely into any aggro deck and I expect it to see some play.

Spear of Heliod does everything the Hall does and has a good ability, plus you don't have to limit yourself to one color.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Spoiler season has started and man I have words. :allears:

Strive is, yes, basically replicate. And that's fine in my book because it means we might get a lovely pyromatics. :3:

That 1 drop merfolk looks like a clear winner in mono U, and very possible in modern merfolk. (Though probably not because curse catcher is still it's best 1 drop that isn't aether vial)

Ioras is :aaaaa:

Constellation so far looks like a really gimmicky mechanic that nobody will use seriously and I'm just fine with that

Edit: Also gently caress yes I knew the color would be purple :allears:

Edit 2: Also WHERE IS THE LEGENDARY MINOTAUR LORD MARO :argh::arghfist:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 7, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Bugsy posted:

Spear of Heliod does everything the Hall does and has a good ability, plus you don't have to limit yourself to one color.

Plus it adds 2 devotion, which is very important. T1 soldier, T2 precinct captain, T3 brimaz, T4 Iroas, T5 spear looks like a beating, I am away in magical christmas land where I also have reason to actually use aurelia for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Hall is usable in other colors I guess, or you could have both it and spear out at the same time. Don't see it being terribly relevant though. Wouldn't be bad in limited.

• Locked thread