Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garbo
May 30, 2011
I'm enjoying the hell out of Ritcheyz's Dark Souls Soul Level 1 Let's Play, but as someone with no desire to ever play Dark Souls some of the skill is lost on me since I have no frame of reference. I'm looking for a Dark Souls LP in somewhat of the same style, but with an eye towards showing off a bit more of the game. I've tried watching Zain's LP, but the lack of editing and his tendency to drop in and out of commentary during fights is kind of turning me off, and Geop's LP also has a bit too much bumbling around. I don't want to watch someone learn Dark Souls (at least not yet); I want to see someone break Dark Souls in half.

The ideal LP i'd like to watch has tight editing, good knowledge of both game systems and lore, and enjoyable commentary. Things i'd like but aren't super mandatory would be post commentary, humor (ie: keeping in funny deaths), and guest commentators. Dark Souls stuff I know i've liked are the already mentioned ongoing Ritcheyz's SL1 LP and VaatiVidya's Dark Souls content. In fact, if there was a Dark Souls 1 LP in the style of what VaatiVidya has posted for his ongoing Dark Souls 2 Walkthrough/Let's Play, that'd be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Nakar posted:

Okay, kind of a weird question given the nature of the game, but I'm curious and I haven't been following or even been able to follow most LPs of the game so I don't know whether or when this has been done. Basically, I'm familiar with Dwarf Fortress LPs and I see them all the time but what I'm interested in seeing is some kind of Let's Break equivalent. No focus on story or the lives of the dwarves, no rotating overseers with haphazard plans, just the ruthless system-exploiting vision of a single mad genius breaking the stock game over their knee in a mostly-victorious fashion using his or her dwarves as the expendable pawns of industry that they are. The kind of player who not only would be prepared for sieges, but who so thoroughly devastates and humiliates them that hundreds of invaders can be met and bested by a well-trained dwarven army that isn't constantly loving off to have parties. The kind of player who not only can reach Hell within their fortress's lifetime, but conquer it.

Alternatively, someone who understands the insane hidden knowledge of DF and exploits it in Adventure Mode to be an rear end in a top hat. Anything like that?

I have on multiple occasions suggested an 'adventurer world' LP to various people on this forum that would scratch a fair number of these itches. The idea would be that you would give the DF save to one person, who would then play the game for a week. It is irrelevant how many years he plays, what he does in there, or what sort of insanity happens. The two things that are important is that he plays for a week, and the fortress isn't playable anymore at the end of that week (e.g., the player has 'had fun'). Abandoned a perfectly decent thriving fortress for no good reason? Fine. Succumbed to a siege? Fine. Opened Hell and lost? Fine. Vampires killed the fort favorite and started a tantrum spiral? Fine. Just so long as the fortress is screwed at the end of that week.

At the end of that week, the save is posted publicly. The next overlord makes a new fortress and does the same thing, and in the week while everyone else is waiting, people roll up Adventurers to go explore the world in and around the fortress - the primary content generation for the thread would be these adventurers making trip reports, and hopefully finding new wild and crazy things about this insane game, like how Evil biome oddities affect Adventurers (which is something not well explored even by the Bay12 forums). Or dying horribly in the bowels of the earth. That'd also be cool. Secondary content generation from the fortress overlords posting their thoughts on the joint as people finish exploring it would also be awesome. It would encourage a lot of different fortress styles, I think, if for no other reason than you don't care if you take 50 years to build something, and you have an active option to be a total sadistic dick to people for no reason (doing this in a real succession game tends to get you ostracized). I'd love the first Illbleed style fortress that showed up.

Nobody else seems to think this is a good idea, though, so I've never bothered pursuing the point.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 27, 2014

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Garbo posted:

I'm enjoying the hell out of Ritcheyz's Dark Souls Soul Level 1 Let's Play, but as someone with no desire to ever play Dark Souls some of the skill is lost on me since I have no frame of reference. I'm looking for a Dark Souls LP in somewhat of the same style, but with an eye towards showing off a bit more of the game. I've tried watching Zain's LP, but the lack of editing and his tendency to drop in and out of commentary during fights is kind of turning me off, and Geop's LP also has a bit too much bumbling around. I don't want to watch someone learn Dark Souls (at least not yet); I want to see someone break Dark Souls in half.

The ideal LP i'd like to watch has tight editing, good knowledge of both game systems and lore, and enjoyable commentary. Things i'd like but aren't super mandatory would be post commentary, humor (ie: keeping in funny deaths), and guest commentators. Dark Souls stuff I know i've liked are the already mentioned ongoing Ritcheyz's SL1 LP and VaatiVidya's Dark Souls content. In fact, if there was a Dark Souls 1 LP in the style of what VaatiVidya has posted for his ongoing Dark Souls 2 Walkthrough/Let's Play, that'd be perfect.

Really tempted to do this. If I'm still interested by Sunday I'll seriously start to put work into it. Keep a lookout to The Experienced Guide to Lordran some time after that if it comes to fruition.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Garbo posted:

Did you happen to watch "Let's Sequence Break Dark Souls"? I enjoyed it a great deal, but I love TAS / sequence breaks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDVvWX7QsZI

Though not made by an SA member, there is a well-done "one shot challenge" series where the LPer one-shots everything up to and including O&S (possibly more, though I don't recall for sure). It's also fairly tightly edited, though he sometimes rambles about stuff only his fans would care about. He's a pretty sharp dude and often has interesting stuff to say.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=401muykHy4k

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Garbo posted:

Any let's play where the dude parries Havel is a 5 in my book.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I was thinking it would be kind of cool to see a bunch of people do a segmented Dark Souls run where someone starts a run, plays the character for a set number of hours or through a section and then sends the save off to someone else to continue from where they left off. Basically, you would have to live with the decisions the person before you made. Maybe they leveled up a weapon you aren't really good with, or they spent all their souls to increase intelligence for a character that never uses magic or went somewhere they weren't really leveled up for.

Then I went looking for where the game saves to on a PC this morning and couldn't find the files, so I don't know how realistic that idea is now.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Lazyfire posted:

I was thinking it would be kind of cool to see a bunch of people do a segmented Dark Souls run where someone starts a run, plays the character for a set number of hours or through a section and then sends the save off to someone else to continue from where they left off. Basically, you would have to live with the decisions the person before you made. Maybe they leveled up a weapon you aren't really good with, or they spent all their souls to increase intelligence for a character that never uses magic or went somewhere they weren't really leveled up for.

Then I went looking for where the game saves to on a PC this morning and couldn't find the files, so I don't know how realistic that idea is now.

My Documents -> NBGI -> Dark Souls

Or something like that.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Asking for those who watched it: How's Geop's semi-blind LP of Dark Souls handled ? He's a chill dude, but I don't really want to watch him die over and over...

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

legendsuper posted:

Asking for those who watched: How's Geop's semi-blind LP of Dark Souls is handled ? He's a chill dude, but I don't really want to watch him die over and over...

He edits out pretty much all of the repetitive deaths and backtracking (with the exception of one very special video) and generally doesn't die more than, like, twice to things anyway because after that one of his guides will clue him in.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

legendsuper posted:

Asking for those who watched it: How's Geop's semi-blind LP of Dark Souls handled ? He's a chill dude, but I don't really want to watch him die over and over...
He'll usually get caught by surprise by things you'd expect a new player to get surprised by, but he's very adaptive in the game and is usually not dying over and over again (or at least they do edit stuff out from what I recall).

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I've been watching it recently and he's actually pretty good about not dying over and over to stupid stuff. He actually beats a fair number of bosses on the first or second tries, much to everybody's surprise.

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:

legendsuper posted:

The biggest complaint I've heard is that he bumbles around too much, but I think it's just him being chill and it comes off as endearing because co-commentators fill the blanks well.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Dyslexiactic posted:

The biggest complaint I've heard is that he bumbles around too much, but I think it's just him being chill and it comes off as endearing because co-commentators fill the blanks well.

This complaint is from the people who want to see blind LPs of a game they know inside and out, but they want it to be done by someone who knows the game as well as they do so there's none of the getting lost and dying that comes from most people's first experience with the game. I don't know why those people bother to watch LPs at all.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
I'm really enjoying A Skeleton Pog's LP of Go Go Nippon. I'd never heard of the game before, and his commentary-light approach works really well for a visual novel. It starts off kind of rough (technical difficulties), but I think it really picks up after a few episodes.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
Sorry if this isn't the right thread to ask, but did anyone bother to backup/reupload dave_o's Minecraft videos? Seems like he took them off his Youtube channel a while back.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Can someone help me? I was reading an LP on the archive, and I don't remember the title. It feature a guy chasing a ball of light into a forest thinking it was a fairy. LAter on there was a joke about the farmer's conducting human sacrifices to placate the slimes in the area. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Can someone help me? I was reading an LP on the archive, and I don't remember the title. It feature a guy chasing a ball of light into a forest thinking it was a fairy. LAter on there was a joke about the farmer's conducting human sacrifices to placate the slimes in the area. Anyone know what I am talking about?

No, but there's a "Your Reading List" at the top of the page that might still be showing it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Nidoking posted:

No, but there's a "Your Reading List" at the top of the page that might still be showing it.

Unfortunately I was using the android app which doesn't have that feature.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bunnyofdoom posted:

Don't suppose it's Drakengard. To be precise, this chapter.

http://lparchive.org/Drakengard/

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Rirse posted:

Don't suppose it's Drakengard. To be precise, this chapter.

http://lparchive.org/Drakengard/

Nope. It looked like a snes game if that helps

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Could it be Seiken Densetsu 3? This chapter fits the bill of chasing a fairy into a forest.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I was about to start watching Kung Fu Jesus' FF13-2 LP, but I remember there was some discussion about some videos having been removed? I tried going back a few pages but couldn't find anything, anyone know what happened to it? Cheers.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Edmond Dantes posted:

I was about to start watching Kung Fu Jesus' FF13-2 LP, but I remember there was some discussion about some videos having been removed? I tried going back a few pages but couldn't find anything, anyone know what happened to it? Cheers.

The whole thing is on YouTube, but the video (not audio) of the ending(s) is all mangled up to avoid copyright slams. There used to be self-hosted un-mangled copies up on KFJ's site before it vanished.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Instant Grat posted:

The whole thing is on YouTube, but the video (not audio) of the ending(s) is all mangled up to avoid copyright slams. There used to be self-hosted un-mangled copies up on KFJ's site before it vanished.

Ah, awesome. I'll get started then. I can probably catch the ending somewhere else if it comes to that.

Thanks!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Found it. It's called Monstania

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I saw a speedrun of Metal Gear Rising last AGDQ and I was wondering if thats ever been LP'd well on the forum. I couldn't find anything in lparchive.org but maybe it just went un archived.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Agent355 posted:

I saw a speedrun of Metal Gear Rising last AGDQ and I was wondering if thats ever been LP'd well on the forum. I couldn't find anything in lparchive.org but maybe it just went un archived.

Look harder, chief.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Agent355 posted:

I saw a speedrun of Metal Gear Rising last AGDQ and I was wondering if thats ever been LP'd well on the forum.

Very much so, yes.

e;beaten.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Agent355 posted:

It's better than archived, it's goldmined.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The sun was in my eyes.

I had a hangover.

Death in the family.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Can anyone recommend an LP where a group of people have fun while playing an FPS? I loved Baldurk's L4D and L4D2 series, and Unfair's Payday LP.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Sociopastry posted:

Can anyone recommend an LP where a group of people have fun while playing an FPS? I loved Baldurk's L4D and L4D2 series, and Unfair's Payday LP.
The Painkiller LP's were pretty good for that: http://lparchive.org/Painkiller-and-Battle-out-of-Hell/

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Ah, sorry, should have mentioned that I've watched that one, too. Also, I suppose that third person shooters would be okay as well, because I am cracking up over RChimpCola's LP of Resident Evil 5.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Helloitsdan and Faker did a series of Resident Evil 6 livestreams awhile back that I found particularly hilarious. I'd highly recommend them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw88luFeNW0

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Lance Streetman posted:

Helloitsdan and Faker did a series of Resident Evil 6 livestreams awhile back that I found particularly hilarious. I'd highly recommend them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw88luFeNW0
Was Faker the third guy who showed up in dan / Lithuanian Dad's Lost Planet 3 LP? That was good stuff. Not as good as dan/dad's Mercenaries 2 LP, though; that poo poo was magic from start to finish.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I didn't know helloitsdan did a Res6 LP. Loved the Mercenaries 2 LP, that was goddamned hilarious.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I am looking for another video lp with multiple commentators that updates somewhat regularly.

I am watching so many already but you see I need noise.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming

Herr Tog posted:

I am looking for another video lp with multiple commentators that updates somewhat regularly.

I am watching so many already but you see I need noise.

Spoiler Warning is good if you don't mind what is occasionally very harsh criticism of the AAA games they play. Their latest Skyrim season is already one of their funniest.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Are they SA guys or SA quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Herr Tog posted:

Are they SA guys or SA quality?

I would say that they're SA quality. Just don't watch the Mass Effect stuff if you like the first 2,as I do.

• Locked thread