Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Sky Shadowing posted:

Gold Weight mods are a bit hit-and-miss. Morrowind sometimes has an unfortunate tendency to 'forget' exactly how much you're actually carrying at times and offsets the number somehow. So you drop everything and you're still somehow carrying 52 pounds, or you're carrying a full set of armor but somehow still have 0 weight. I've never found a gold weight mod that doesn't succumb to that problem eventually (Morrowind as a whole does it too, the issue being that gold is used far more than anything else).

As for Indy Bank, I seem to remember that there are 3 ESPs, right? One is IndyBank with houses, another is IndyBank compatible with Walled City of Balmora (with houses), and one is just banks with no houses. Choose the one that suits your fancy and go play, until you remember "ooh, I want THAT mod" and install it too.

The gold weight mod I used basically added the weight as a separate "item" in the inventory, which could be removed at will. This helped as a last resort debug. I'm having some trouble finding the mod to link it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Has anyone tried the, uh, "Epic" series of city expansions? It looks promising in that it seems to add some variety to cities without going apeshit with random nonsense.

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43072/

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43014/

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43057/?/

The modder seems to think its compatible with Main Quest Enhancers as well.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Necroskowitz posted:

Has anyone tried the, uh, "Epic" series of city expansions? It looks promising in that it seems to add some variety to cities without going apeshit with random nonsense.

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43072/

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43014/

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43057/?/

The modder seems to think its compatible with Main Quest Enhancers as well.

What are these actually doing? A feature/change list or before/after would be nice.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

So, Unique Ghosts is pretty cool. It's hard to see him here, but this is Sul-Senipuul.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Gyshall posted:

What are these actually doing? A feature/change list or before/after would be nice.

I think what it does is just add a bunch of buildings around the outside of cities so they seem bigger. I'll check the mod to see if this is the case.

Edit: Just checked the Balmora one and that is indeed what it does. It also adds a bunch of barrels and alchemy equipment to Astius Hanotepelus and Nalcarya of White Haven's houses for some reason.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 30, 2014

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Musical_Daredevil posted:

I think what it does is just add a bunch of buildings around the outside of cities so they seem bigger. I'll check the mod to see if this is the case.

That's prettymuch it. It doesn't add new NPCs, new interiors, or anything that actually changes gameplay. It just adds a bunch of decorative buildings. There's a bit more about them on the Bethesda forums. It looks cool, but I'd rather get something for the massive FPS hit than just more decorations personally.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Chocolate UI 1.2 is done, with some very minor changes.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

I got really sick of the loading screens after seeing them for more than 10 years, so I decided to make some of my own using screenshots of peoples' MGE'd morrowinds posted in this and the previous thread. Basically I took Jermex's splash screen template, modified it for a 1680 x 1050 resolution, then arranged the screenshots behind it. Most of them look pretty good:

If people want I can upload it for this thread, though I'm not sure where I should upload it to.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yes, do that. What resolution are they at?

Also Ogg, Chocolate UI is looking great.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

1680 x 1050. It didn't occur to me to make 16:9 versions until after I was finished. They still look fine, though. Uploaded to the nexus.

edit: I remade them for a 1600 x 900 resolution and made the morrowind logo look better.

Stexils fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 5, 2014

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

So I can't seem to find information on how to manually install Uvirith's Legacy, and the link I keep getting directed to with information on it is dead (http://www.roadhunter.com/~stuporstar/index.html). I'm loathe to move files en masse to data files considering some of the folders being replaced have less files within them and I'm worried it'll remove important textures and whatnot.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

If you're on windows as your OS then when you move a folder to data files it merges the with the folder of the same name. If data files has textures as a folder and you drag uviriths legacy textures folder into data files, it merges the two, not overwrites them. There might be polyps to overwrite files with the same name, just do that. Any mod assets shared by UL can use the UL version because they have the same name.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Have fun manually cross-checking filenames when the game breaks and you have to clean up.

Or just use the Installer function in Wrye Bash.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
I'm trying to install MGE XE but as soon as I do and start the game, it immediately crashes to the desktop with no error message. The game works fine up until I install it. UAC is off and I've got the game installed outside of program files. I've done some googleing and haven't been able to resolve it. Any ideas?

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I'm trying to install MGE XE but as soon as I do and start the game, it immediately crashes to the desktop with no error message. The game works fine up until I install it. UAC is off and I've got the game installed outside of program files. I've done some googleing and haven't been able to resolve it. Any ideas?

Is DEP turned off? If that doesn't work, try disabling the internal script extender. I forgot what it was called. But there's a checkbox somewhere that lets you turn it off.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
Well now it seems the same crash is happening after I install the code patch, too. It crashes to desktop and the process is unkillable so I have to restart my computer and then uninstall. This is the 8th time I've uninstalled and reinstalled this game today. Grrrr. I have no idea what could be causing this.

edit: OK so it looks like the Morrowind Code Patch was the problem, not MGE XE. It seems to break my install when its installed. Is there an alternative?

Phil Tenderpuss fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 8, 2014

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

I've had that problem, it turned out I was using an outdated download. Are you sure you're using the latest version?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Been stuck into this the last few days, goddamn this game aged well!

Are there any mods that add more options to spellmaking? Changing projectile speed or amount of projectiles or something like that?

Also, I've got the better clothes mods but is there anything that adds more options of stuff to wear, particularly at exquisite? Only interested in stuff that looks like it fits in vanilla.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

This came out finally, though I haven't tested it myself since I'm too wrapped up in ESO. Been waiting for it forever. Any gentlegoons out there who have seen if it plays nicely with MGSO?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Why exactly do people like rise of house telvanni, again? So far I've met the super special telvanni master I was railroaded into offering a position (I would have vastly preferred the insane guy). She has half altmer half dunmer skin, has a cult that wants to kidnap her because they think she's a god, secretly ran another telvanni tower from behind the scenes, her grandmother was the ~archmagistrix~ who founded house telvanni and was vivec's bride to be and was so special she was only half cursed with dunmer skin and had her own pocket dimension with a fanatical group of followers who worship her and and and and

I wanted to be a telvanni archmagister and instead I'm running around for some bad fanfic OC. No amount of overpowered artifacts is worth this. It doesn't help that the writing is pretty poor in other areas, you don't act like a telvanni lord at all (the bit where you run to kill off the cult for her and the part where you tell Therana she's expected to accept the poison master guy are especially bad)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hog Inspector posted:

half altmer half dunmer skin

I believe you mean "half chimer half dunmer" skin
:goonsay:

Also you're overthinking a quest mod made for a 10 year old game, just play it and have fun, don't get your thinky parts tangled up in this

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah I couldn't help but be kind of disappointed at how... unmagisterly the player ends up being in Rise of House Telvanni, especially since I was playing it alongside Uvirith's Legacy or whatever the good one was.

MILF destroyer
Feb 6, 2014
I reinstalled this for the 3rd time, this time with MGSO and it's amazing, So much better than I thought was even possible. It's pretty incredible how people have managed to get this game to look.
Anyway I'm having the same problem I usually have; this game is really hard. I move incredibly slowly, rats can kill me, every cool looking little side cave contains certain death. At what level does this start to ease up a bit? I got killed picking mushrooms for the mages guild ffs.
I picked a high elf witchfinder, is that a bad class? Can I still train up my misc skills or is that detrimental in some way?
I'm still in Skyrim mode where I think I can be good at everything but that's probably not going to work here.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

MILF destroyer posted:

I reinstalled this for the 3rd time, this time with MGSO and it's amazing, So much better than I thought was even possible. It's pretty incredible how people have managed to get this game to look.
Anyway I'm having the same problem I usually have; this game is really hard. I move incredibly slowly, rats can kill me, every cool looking little side cave contains certain death. At what level does this start to ease up a bit? I got killed picking mushrooms for the mages guild ffs.
I picked a high elf witchfinder, is that a bad class? Can I still train up my misc skills or is that detrimental in some way?
I'm still in Skyrim mode where I think I can be good at everything but that's probably not going to work here.

The easiest way to fix your speed is to improve your speed stat, or wear lighter gear. As far as skill, you can raise all of your skills, but your Misc skills will take longer to level up compared to your major and minor skills, and they wont contribute to level progress. It's still a good idea to raise them because they will effect the stat bonuses you see when you level up.

I can't remember the skill allocations for wtichhunter, but if you should be fine regardless of class. It's generally a good idea to pay someone to train up your lower level Misc skills anyway so you can use them without failing every roll.

Caves and dungeons can be hit and miss because nothing in them is levelled to you, so you just have to try anyway, and if you die, you load a save and not go in there until later. Dungeons in the same region generally the same difficulty, West Gash should be reasonable for a low level character to wander around most of the dungeons without too much trouble, but Molag Amur will murder you.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

MILF destroyer posted:

Vanilla Morrowind: I usually play as a Redguard or Dunmer since I enjoy generalist characters. Imperals are scum so I don't play em

Beast races are cool, but can't use certain armor slots which is a pretty big drawback.

Pick a specialization: however you're going to play your character, Combat/Magic/Stealth. I usually like Combat or Magic, since Stealth skills can be made up in other places with spells.

Favored Attributes: I usually like Endurance, since you gain Health and Fatigue with higher Endurance. And Luck, because there isn't a good way to raise that!

Major Skills: At least one armor skill, melee one weapon skill, one ranged skill (Destruction/Marksman), and whatever other skills.

Minor Skills: Secondary weapon, magic, security, etc. I usually avoid Athletics/Acrobatics, since they can be made up for other places (like Magic). I usually always take Restoration, for the healing, and Armorer, at a minimum.

Alchemy and Enchantment are both incredibly broken things in vanilla morrowind.

Medium armor is a good choice since the Ebony Mail is one of the best armors in the game.

Modded - get a mod like GCD or one of the other leveling mods and do whatever

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 17, 2014

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Get a resist magicka apell, create a resist magicka 100 for 1sec spell, and then cast it and equip the boots of blinding speed. This is now the first thing you do on any character. Welcome back.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

keyboard vomit posted:

Caves and dungeons can be hit and miss because nothing in them is levelled to you, so you just have to try anyway, and if you die, you load a save and not go in there until later. Dungeons in the same region generally the same difficulty, West Gash should be reasonable for a low level character to wander around most of the dungeons without too much trouble, but Molag Amur will murder you.

Not entirely true. Enemies don't level up but creatures can change type and number depending on your level. NPCs are always the same.

Don't be afraid to explore though. Just keep a scroll or amulet of Divine or Almsivi intervention handy and you'll be able to teleport out whenever you have any problems.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Sorry for the broadness of this question. When I play vanilla Morrowind, I get 120 FPS outside. When I mod it with MGSO at max setting, it drops to 30 FPS outside. I have an i7 quad core processor, 8G of RAM and a 2G Radeon card. Should it really be dropping down that low with MGSO or is there something critical I might be missing?

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

armoredgorilla posted:

Sorry for the broadness of this question. When I play vanilla Morrowind, I get 120 FPS outside. When I mod it with MGSO at max setting, it drops to 30 FPS outside. I have an i7 quad core processor, 8G of RAM and a 2G Radeon card. Should it really be dropping down that low with MGSO or is there something critical I might be missing?

Yeah I'd say that sounds about right. What's your draw distance/drawn static size set at?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

SuitDude posted:

Yeah I'd say that sounds about right. What's your draw distance/drawn static size set at?

I'm in the middle of rebuilding it from barebones install, but I'm pretty sure it was maxed out. Any ideas on a good lower setting to use?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Musical_Daredevil posted:

FAQs and Common problems

My computer is a ten-year-old netbook that barely gets 1FPS when I run MGE. Do you have any cool downloads for me too?
The Morrowind FPS Optimizer would help you significantly. You can use it to adjust Morrowind's settings outside of what you're normally able to do and, like the title suggests, make Morrowind run better.

Ways to increase FPS:
There are a few tips to increasing FPS, however some systems go slowly (15-25fps) no matter what fixes are attempted, due to the engine's odd way of handling hardware.

One thing to do in order to determine what's causing your biggest framerate hits is to bind MGE-XE's toggle functions (i.e. LOD, AA, HW shader) to different keys in the macro editor (under "In Game"), toggle them on or off, and watch what your framerate does. LOD is (obviously) the biggest, but AI functions will probably be your biggest ones in town, since the engine has to process a lot of different things with a (relatively) large number of NPCs. Make sure you have both "Display Messages" and "Show FPS" enabled in MGE-XE or you won't be able to measure it.

Version 2.0 and up of the MSGO sets several options in MGE-XE much higher than they need to be and lowering them can solve several problems. The steps below outline some of the things you can change:
1. Update MGE-XE using either the latest stable version or beta
2. Under Graphics, set Antialiasing to 8x. Under Shader Setup, double click any of the shaders under Active Shaders to disable them (and don't forget to save). Alternatively, you can uncheck Enable Shaders to turn all of them off.
3. Under Distant Land, set the draw distance to 12 cells or less. I've checked and you really can't see further than that during normal gameplay. You can also disable some of the reflections.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Minimum Static Size at 50 or 75 and Draw Distance at 12 cells is my sweet spot on a similar spec'd computer. I get about 40-60 FPS outside, which is just fine. I run with a bunch of NPC additions (Starfires) and full MGSO options.

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

armoredgorilla posted:

I'm in the middle of rebuilding it from barebones install, but I'm pretty sure it was maxed out. Any ideas on a good lower setting to use?

Well the draw distance isn't a slider setting so if by maxed out you mean you're drawing the whole island constantly then yeah, you might wanna bump it back to 12-20 like they said haha

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Combo'd up on dropping draw distance to 12 and killing shaders to get back to 60 FPS and everything still looks great. Thanks everyone!

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
So can I just drop the Chocolate pack on top of MGSO after a fresh install following the OP's instructions?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

If I want to play mostly vanilla with no graphic improvements, do I have to install only Morrowind Code Patch, Morrowind Patch Project, .exe optimizer & the 4GB Patch? Will that make the game not that buggy?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

VisAbsoluta posted:

If I want to play mostly vanilla with no graphic improvements, do I have to install only Morrowind Code Patch, Morrowind Patch Project, .exe optimizer & the 4GB Patch? Will that make the game not that buggy?

It's not that buggy to begin with.

boho posted:

So can I just drop the Chocolate pack on top of MGSO after a fresh install following the OP's instructions?

"just drop X on top of Y" is never a good idea! You should at least have some idea what you're merging together and replacing.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

armoredgorilla posted:

Morrowind can only use single core iirc so there's inherent limitations built into performance.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Any suggestions on mods that flesh out or add more medium armors to the game? I see that there are only two sets in the game that have all the pieces even existing, Bonemold and Orcish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

armoredgorilla posted:

Any suggestions on mods that flesh out or add more medium armors to the game? I see that there are only two sets in the game that have all the pieces even existing, Bonemold and Orcish.

This mod will flesh out some of the existing incomplete sets, at least a little.