Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
It was perfect for me on Firefox. Full-screen output to a big TV and the quality was so good that you'd never know it was a stream. You could practically see the puss leaking out of Undertaker's herpes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I am legit stunned that the Network held up. My stream skipped a few times and quality was all over the place early but I didn't miss anything.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

My stream was really good until Taker/Lesnar, at which point it started bumping me to loading screens & showing me the same 3 seconds of footage 3 times in a row at various qualities, then jumping forward in time 3 seconds only to warp back...

It was really frustrating until the diva's match, at which point it became a superior way to watch wrestling as divas started warping around the ring and we were left to piece together how exactly we got from a Bella twin move to Tamina on the top rope to AJ putting on the Black Widow in what appeared to be 15 seconds.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I got home and turned the Network on via Apple TV about 10 minutes before the tag title match and the sound was really tinny. By the time the Real Americans were on the ramp, the sound fixed itself, and I had no further problems the entire night. I was fully prepared to break down and order the show on PPV, but the stream worked like a gem.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
My only complaint was that I was in a chat with a bunch of other people watching it and for some reason everyone was super out of sync with each other even on refresh, so by the end I was basically ignoring chat so I didn't get spoiled on the next spot/pin attempt in the next 20 seconds.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

flatluigi posted:

My only complaint was that I was in a chat with a bunch of other people watching it and for some reason everyone was super out of sync with each other even on refresh, so by the end I was basically ignoring chat so I didn't get spoiled on the next spot/pin attempt in the next 20 seconds.

Yeah, even the GDT was pretty variable in terms of who was where. I just refreshed slower than usual.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

flatluigi posted:

Buddy of mine uses Chrome and he is like 30 seconds behind, I just tested with Chrome Canary running next to Firefox to confirm and it looks like the Chrome stream is way behind.

They are definitely streaming to Firefox differently than Chrome, so it makes sense I guess.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I was on PS4, all stable there all the way through. In IRC a friend was complaining that HBO Go ate poo poo during the Game of Thrones premiere. :haw:

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

zero hiccups for me with chrome, although I'm definitely at least half a minute behind

Alan
Jul 20, 2004
Sophisticated Speaker of Filth
It was amazingly stable, and it only jumped a few times the entire night. I didn't miss a thing though.

Really loving impressed, watched on PS4

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I had zero issues on the Apple TV tonight. Color me impressed. They pulled it off.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

flatluigi posted:

I had it going on a tablet and my PC and the tablet was consistently 10 seconds behind. They both ran without a hiccup though, incredibly.

Apparently initial subscriber numbers are good and come out tomorrow.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

TL posted:

I got home and turned the Network on via Apple TV about 10 minutes before the tag title match and the sound was really tinny. By the time the Real Americans were on the ramp, the sound fixed itself, and I had no further problems the entire night. I was fully prepared to break down and order the show on PPV, but the stream worked like a gem.

That was the network. Everybody had that sound issue.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Had it on firefox from before the preshow and literal 0 stutters or hitches that I can recall. Really impressed and happy for the network getting over its first big hurdle. Here's hoping they can announce a monster subscription number tomorrow.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was watching the WM 29 stream before the preshow began and it was having all sorts of problems, but I didn't have a single problem once the preshow started and throughout mania. It was incredible

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

So what are the odds that we never get another Mania live on the network? I think next year they'll move Mania back to a PPV only thing to "keep it special."

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Wait a day and ask that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Retromancer posted:

So what are the odds that we never get another Mania live on the network? I think next year they'll move Mania back to a PPV only thing to "keep it special."

Seeing as it's the biggest selling point of the Network, and they don't have to give a cut to any PPV providers, if the Network continues to be a success the opposite is going to happen. Not next year, but slowly over the next ten.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

TheJoker138 posted:

Seeing as it's the biggest selling point of the Network, and they don't have to give a cut to any PPV providers, if the Network continues to be a success the opposite is going to happen. Not next year, but slowly over the next ten.

but if they move mania off then they get to double dip that month. People paying for the network are still paying for it and then giving another 35 bucks to WWE for Mania.

Maybe they'll just be like "Mania is a $30 premium once a year" but I can't see them giving away the show for :10bux: ever again.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I wanted to watch the tag team championship match again so I searched to see if I could find it.

This is not it

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

So here's something weird I've noticed: Some of the Pay Per Views still have replaced music from when they were on DVD. I just watched Royal Rumble 2003 a couple days ago, and Billy and Chuck both still had their boy band theme replaced by The One Billy Gunn theme, and I THINK Maven's theme song was different in the original.

But here's the really weird thing: I fired up a Smackdown Replay of John Cena's first appearance, and Billy and Chuck were the second match... and their boy band music was intact. AND, on that same Royal Rumble, the Undertaker had his Limp Bizket theme intact when on the DVD it was replaced with royalty free filler music.

Very strange, these music issues.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Retromancer posted:

but if they move mania off then they get to double dip that month. People paying for the network are still paying for it and then giving another 35 bucks to WWE for Mania.

Maybe they'll just be like "Mania is a $30 premium once a year" but I can't see them giving away the show for :10bux: ever again.

If they don't offer Mania live on the Network I just won't watch it until they put it up. If they stop putting up PPVs immediately I will cancel my subscription to the network because that's my main reason for buying it. And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Retromancer posted:

The way the network has pissed off PPV providers, you've got to think WWE's plan is to move away from PPV entirely. dish dropped them, and the others are pissed - I don't think WWE would be looking to negotiate for 1 PPV a year that's totally at the mercy of the cable companies.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

all I know is how it always goes with these services is that you start out with a service that's a great deal or free and then a ways down the line they're gonna only offer the B shows and charge another $60 a year to get the big 4 and then hold the replays off on demand for a month if you don't pony up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Retromancer posted:

all I know is how it always goes with these services is that you start out with a service that's a great deal or free and then a ways down the line they're gonna only offer the B shows and charge another $60 a year to get the big 4 and then hold the replays off on demand for a month if you don't pony up.

What services? Netflix isn't charging an additional fee for it's original series or new releases. I think you're nuts here. Doing what you're suggesting would be the fastest way to torpedo the service.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

What services? Netflix isn't charging an additional fee for it's original series or new releases. I think you're nuts here. Doing what you're suggesting would be the fastest way to torpedo the service.

Maybe I'm a little bitter about Hulu going to poo poo, and pretty much everything being pulled off of XBL Silver.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Retromancer posted:

Maybe I'm a little bitter about Hulu going to poo poo, and pretty much everything being pulled off of XBL Silver.

Hulu and XBL Silver always sucked, though.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Retromancer posted:

I dunno anything about xbl silver, but Hulu is owned by the people who don't want things like Hulu to be around. I think WWE Network is pretty safe unless it just doesn't make any money.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

really the thing that kicked this line of thought off for me was Alvarez and Vinny talking about what a great idea it would be for WWE to move Mania off the network in the future. They thought that having Mania be on the network devalued it or something. I don't know if they're masochists or what but it sounded like a horrible idea and therefore the most likely course of action for WWE.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Retromancer posted:

really the thing that kicked this line of thought off for me was Alvarez and Vinny talking about what a great idea it would be for WWE to move Mania off the network in the future. They thought that having Mania be on the network devalued it or something. I don't know if they're masochists or what but it sounded like a horrible idea and therefore the most likely course of action for WWE.

They're idiots.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I'm sure there's a million bean counters at WWE who did all the math on this and it turned out that getting people to lock in for 6 months because they were getting Wrestlemania for ONLY TEN DOLLARS *with six month commitment is far more profitable than not making money from all the people who only buy two PPVs a year/watch pirated streams/just go over to a friend's house or the bar. They captured a big portion of a non-paying audience and plus I'm sure there's still a good chunk of folks who are not technologically inclined and are still going to buy PPVs. Personally, I doubt they'd jeopardize it by yanking Wrestlemania, it would be a seriously big backlash from their fans. And they'd have to announce pulling Wrestlemania at least 6 months in advance or people are going to claim they subscribed in reliance on getting Wrestlemania and demand refunds.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Retromancer posted:

really the thing that kicked this line of thought off for me was Alvarez and Vinny talking

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Retromancer posted:

MLB.TV has just gotten better and better over the years, and there have been minor price increases, but I'm talking a couple bucks every few years for a yearly subscription.

On top of that, they've been adding new feature every single year.

Also, the stream was FLAWLESS tonight for me. To be safe, I hooked up my desktop to a ethernet connection directly to my router, watched on my 27 inch Cinema Display. 25Mbps, no issues at all. I didn't want to chance it with the wireless because my Roku is in a room that gets a lovely wifi signal. I was very impressed with the quality overall.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
I watched it wirelessly and the quality was excellent bar the short time on the pre show where everyone seemed to suffer from tinny audio and picture break ups.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I found it interesting that the commentators referred to Extreme Rules as "our next live special" or something to that effect. Phasing out the term "PPV" already!

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
PS4 at my buddy's house with FIOS. Had some moments where it would replay the last 4 seconds but usually it was right after a nasty spot and we just laughed and said it was a perfect replay moment. Some pauses during the Streak match and Cena/Wyatt but all in all it was pretty good. I'd say it was better than the Wrestlemania I watched online that had Cena vs HHH.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

My stream was borderline unwatchable to the end and I quite nearly resorted to nefarious means but it could've well been my connection or the fact that I'm not even freakin' supposed to have the Network in Canada.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I had to refresh my stream 3 or so times, but other than that it was super sharp and perfect. Very impressed with the WWE Network's performance, all things considered.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I think I only had it repeat the last 2 seconds maybe 3 or 4 times max on the PS4. Completely forgot I was watching a stream and not a PPV honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Is there a device considered to be the "best" for watching the network? Roku, appletv, something else? Considering picking something up as a dedicated device for network viewing. I have an AppleTV but it crapped the bed (dog ate it...don't ask) so I was wondering if it's worth buying something different or if another AppleTV is fine.