Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

What's wrong with f4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Ernie. posted:

What's wrong with f4?

It opens lines for black without giving white anything. Black seizes the diagonal with Qh5+, and white isn't really threatening to take on e5 since he probably can't survive opening the line on the d3 pawn. Black will probably continue with some sort of Qg4=>Nh5=>Nf4 idea.

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

To those that know chess notation by heart: Did you actively teach yourself it or did you just naturally learn it by playing the game?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Highly Unnecessary posted:

To those that know chess notation by heart: Did you actively teach yourself it or did you just naturally learn it by playing the game?

It's not very complicated, so you pick it up very quickly once you're actually using it. Like most people, I imagine, I started by only remembering the piece names, then slowly looking over the coordinates when writing down my moves (with frequent mistakes). Now that I'm teaching, the notation lesson is quite early in the curriculum but the kids (as young as grade 2) seem to by and large understand it very quickly.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Assuming we're talking Algebraic, I had the same experience as Hand Knit.

I barely know Descriptive, though.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
With modern notation, I can often visualize the board up to about 20 moves, depending on the position.

Descriptive notation, however, requires me to have a board in front of me. It's a shame because some of the best annotated collections were written as 10. ... QBxKN, which makes me immediately go, "Wait, where was that goddamn king's knight again?"

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Descriptive isn't really any harder to learn, it's just super-hard to avoid mistakes because of how the coordinate system changes. But there isn't really much reason to learn it these days anyway.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Highly Unnecessary posted:

I started my chess career using descriptive because that was pretty much the standard then. I switched to algebraic when I got my first chess computer and was really happy with the change.

Also, I taught a chess class for a semester at a local grade school and one of the first things I did was to play a game of battleship with the kids using a chess board and white pawns for misses and black pawns for hits. They picked up the notation quickly after that.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I thought it would just be a matter of practice but after near-daily use of algebraic I still have to count squares for the middle of the board. Are there any exercises specific to memorizing the square names that would help?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Roflex posted:

I thought it would just be a matter of practice but after near-daily use of algebraic I still have to count squares for the middle of the board. Are there any exercises specific to memorizing the square names that would help?

Don't think of it as looking for a particular square but rather as the intersection of the rank and file. Get a board with the rank numbers and file letters printed on the border.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

dee eight posted:

Also, I taught a chess class for a semester at a local grade school and one of the first things I did was to play a game of battleship with the kids using a chess board and white pawns for misses and black pawns for hits. They picked up the notation quickly after that.

This is brilliant.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

For the first time in more or less ever, I'm studying tactics. I haven't been playing much, but I think it's paying off. First, a blitz game against an anonymous Bulgarian IM:

1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 dxe4 4. Nxe4 Nd7 5. Nf3 Ngf6 6. Ng3 e6 7. Bd3 Bd6 8. O-O O-O 9. Re1 b6 10. Ne5 Bb7 11. Bg5 Qc7 12. Qe2 Rfe8 13. Rad1 h6 14. Bf4 Nd5

15. Bxh6 Bxe5 16. dxe5 gxh6 17. Qh5 Nf8 18. Qxh6 f5 19. exf6 e5 20. Re4 Nf4 21. Bc4+ N8e6 22. Nh5 Qh7 23. Qg5+ Qg6 24. Rxe5 Qxg5 25. Rxg5+ Kh8 26. Rf5 b5 27. Bxe6 Nxe6 28. f7 Red8 29. Re1 Nf8 30. Rf6 Kh7 31. g4 Rd5 32. h4 Rad8 33. Re8 c5 34. g5 c4 35. Rh6# 1-0

I've also been trying to relearn the French Advance, and when black doesn't really know what to do things can get violent.

1. e4 e6 2. d4 e5 3. e5 c5 4. c3 Nc6 5. Nf3 Qb6 6. a3 Nge7 7. b4 cxd4 8. cxd4 Nf5 9. Bb2 Bd7 10. g4 Nh6 11. Rg1 Rc8 12. Nc3 Be7 13. Na4 Qc7 14. Bd3 O-O 15. Rc1 Qb8 16. Nc5 Be8 17. Rc3 Nd8 18. Bc1 Qa8

19. Bxh6 gxh6 20. Bb1 f6 21. exf6 Bxf6 22. g5 hxg5 23. Nxg5 Bxg5 24. Rxg5+ Kh8 25. Rh3 Rc7 26. Bxh7 Rxh7 27. Rxh7+ Kxh7 28. Qg4 Nf7 29. Rg7+ Kh8 30.Qg6 1-0

Mr Matey
Feb 16, 2004
I've decided to challenge everybody in the OP's list of chess.com players, and post the results as they come. I'll probably do it three or four at a time. I think it'll be a great opportunity to sharpen up my trash talk.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Challenge me too! aggrosa

My rating is hilariously inflated from playing ranked games again the same people over and over again, so I need it drop back down to reality.

Mr Matey
Feb 16, 2004
I've challenged eight people from the OP list but haven't heard back yet from six. Counting those as forfeits, and pencilling in the HandKnit match as a win for me (I'm down a piece and two pawns, but feeling quietly confident) then I'm currently 7 and 1. Not too shabby.

Aggro posted:

My rating is hilariously inflated from playing ranked games again the same people over and over again, so I need it drop back down to reality.

Good attempt there, champ, but you'll have to try harder next time.

code:
[Event "The 2014 Stop Hitting Yourself Invitational"]
[Site "Chess.com"]
[Date "2014.04.13"]
[White "MikhailTalentless"]
[Black "aggrosa"]
[Result "0-1"]
[WhiteElo "1292"]
[BlackElo "1726"]
[TimeControl "1 in 2 days"]
[Termination "aggrosa won by checkmate"]

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 g6 3.d4 Bg7 4.dxc5 Qa5+ 5.Nc3 Bxc3+ 6.Bd2 Bxd2+ 7.Qxd2 Qxc5 8.Be2 Nf6 9.e5 Ne4 10.Qf4 Qxf2+
 11.Kd1 d5 12.c4 g5 13.Qc1 Qxg2 14.Kc2 Qxe2+ 15.Nd2 Nxd2 16.Qxd2 Bf5+ 17.Kc1 Qxc4+ 18.Kd1 Bg4+ 19.Ke1 Qe4+ 20.Qe2 Qxe2#
 0-1
Seriously what the gently caress just happened

Mr Matey fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 15, 2014

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

Uggghh throwing a winning game to a perpetual check is the worst feeling. I'd rather blunder a queen. :(

e: the game (I was black) http://www.chess.com/echess/game?id=88713276

Highly Unnecessary fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 18, 2014

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Aggro posted:

Challenge me too! aggrosa

Artificially-inflated ratings can be a killer. Wait, I meant the opposite...

Capuano
Mar 17, 2009
Anybody want to play a few games? I'm jawaka (or Capuano) on chess.com. I prefer Live games, but I'll play correspondence, too! Just shoot me a friend request.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

More fun blowing people up in the French Advance. I don't know what this person was going for in the opening - maybe to shut down white's light-squared bishop?

1. e4 d5 2. d4 e6 3. e5 c5 4. c3 Nc6 5. Nf3 a6 6. Bd3 f5 7. O-O cxd4 8. Nxd4 Nxe5 9. Bxf5 exf5 10. Re1 Bd6 11. f4 Ne7 12. fxe5 Bc5 13. Kh1 Bxd4 14. cxd4 Nc6 15. Qh5+ g6 16. Qh6 Qc7 17. Nc3 Be6 18. Bg5 Nxd4 19. Rac1 Nc6 20. Ne2 Qf7 21. Nf4 Rc8 22. Rc5 Rc7

23. Rxd5 Bxd5 24. e6 Bxg2+ 25. Kxg2 Qf8 26. Nd5 Re7 27. Qh4 h6 28. Bxe7 Nxe7 29. Rc1 g5 30. Nc7+ Kd8 31. Qd4+ Kc8 32. Nb5+ Nc6 33. Rxc6+ Kb8 34. Qa7# 1-0

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Gawd I hated playing against the french. I almost swore off 1.e4 because of it.

Here's one of my fave chessic things, the Estonian 5 Krooni note:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

dee eight posted:

Gawd I hated playing against the french. I almost swore off 1.e4 because of it.

It really is horrible. I avoided it with a King's Indian Attack for several years, and am just now moving back to the Advance line because I think it gives white better chances of winning. I'm now playing through a themed correspondence tournament (thus the goofy move order to start) for practice.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoy playing against the French.

I've started playing the Alekhine-Chatard Attack in the classical 3.Nc3 variation.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Should you reasonably be expected to checkmate in a Queen + King vs King endgame? I played one game today and the endgame was basically two knights and 3 pawns versus the same. I had the queen and we had to leave before we finished.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yes, Q+K (and R+K) vs K are elementary mates and you can learn them pretty easily.

Others include B+B+K and B+N+K, but B+N+K is quite difficult to learn and much more difficult to master.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chessnetwork has a good video on B+N+K endings.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Kheldragar posted:

Should you reasonably be expected to checkmate in a Queen + King vs King endgame? I played one game today and the endgame was basically two knights and 3 pawns versus the same. I had the queen and we had to leave before we finished.

Learning how to do this was the first step for me having even an inkling of an understanding of chess. That and just drilling basic tactics.

King plus rook, also.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011
What do you all think of studying endings as a way for the average club player (1200-1800) to improve? This method was advocated by Capablanca and a few other masters. It seems some modern players agree. For example, the book Amateur to IM by IM Jonathan Hawkins is basically an endgame manual.

However, I rarely reach positions resembling those analyzed in endgame manuals. The endgame for me usually consists of a bunch of pawns and one or two minor pieces for each side. Knowing, for example, the details of how to draw or win K v K+P hasn't ever helped me. GM Svidler says basically the same thing starting at about 2:40 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paHdsGkP7nI. (I stole that link from the review of Hawkins's book here, which has some discussion of studying endgames as an improvement method.)

I've been convinced by Svidler's argument and am now studying mostly tactics and calculation exercises, with a little blindfold training thrown in for fun. What are your thoughts?

buttcoin smuggler fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 15, 2014

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

As far as books on the endgame, I liked Averbakh's Chess Endings: Essential Knowledge.

It's more focused on theory than practice and I found it sharpened up my endgame play in a rather broad spectrum way rather than in specific endings like K+B+P v K+N+P.

http://www.amazon.com/Chess-Endings-Essential-Knowledge-Averbakh/dp/0080118224

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

buttcoin smuggler posted:

What do you all think of studying endings as a way for the average club player (1200-1800) to improve? This method was advocated by Capablanca and a few other masters. It seems some modern players agree. For example, the book Amateur to IM by IM Jonathan Hawkins is basically an endgame manual.

I've been convinced by Svidler's argument and am now studying mostly tactics and calculation exercises, with a little blindfold training thrown in for fun. What are your thoughts?

First get to the point where you can reliably get to an endgame with equal material, then begin studying endgames. The confidence alone will get you a long ways.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Focus on what is costing you the most games. If it's middle game tactics, then do those. If you're giving away results in the end game, study that.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011
Thanks for the advice.

I recently downloaded SCID in order to analyze my games. What does the "rating" of a game mean? I'm baffled. It's not anything to do with player ELO.

buttcoin smuggler fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 15, 2014

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Hmmmm, I would guess it's some kind of extra system where you can rank how much you liked the games listed.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

I just got this position playing the black pieces in a 5/2 game on Chess.com against some dude (dudette maybe, I have no idea) rated 1234. Being very, very bad I roll at just under 1000 most times. I knew I wasn't losing at all, but I have a habit of executing quite solid plans extremely poorly, so I wasn't confident of a win. I was certain they'd play a4 and we'd end up trading down a bunch taking the queens off the board and I might end up swapping both bishops for a rook and that knight, but then my king safety is utter garbage and they're holed up in a fianchetto fortress so I didn't think I was ahead by much.

But then they played Nf5 and I couldn't stop grinning. It's too good a feeling when you've got such a simple attack that doesn't look that devastating until you realise that their Queen has absolutely nowhere to go.

They tried a couple of desperate checks with that knight, but once those ran out they just disconnected, I assume in a big old huff.

singe
Aug 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle.
How do you guys get better at blitz chess. I'm forever stuck in ELO hell for 3 minute ICC. I'm pretty good at slow chess it's just that I don't know my openings that well and I can't calculate quickly, both which doesn't bode well for me. I get good wins against 1800+ in 3 minute but I also get flagged by 1200 :/.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I just got this position playing the black pieces in a 5/2 game on Chess.com against some dude (dudette maybe, I have no idea) rated 1234. Being very, very bad I roll at just under 1000 most times. I knew I wasn't losing at all, but I have a habit of executing quite solid plans extremely poorly, so I wasn't confident of a win. I was certain they'd play a4 and we'd end up trading down a bunch taking the queens off the board and I might end up swapping both bishops for a rook and that knight, but then my king safety is utter garbage and they're holed up in a fianchetto fortress so I didn't think I was ahead by much.

But then they played Nf5 and I couldn't stop grinning. It's too good a feeling when you've got such a simple attack that doesn't look that devastating until you realise that their Queen has absolutely nowhere to go.

They tried a couple of desperate checks with that knight, but once those ran out they just disconnected, I assume in a big old huff.

Just making sure, you're saying Ba5, right? They can at least sac their rook...

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Just making sure, you're saying Ba5, right? They can at least sac their rook...

Yes, but after ...dxc3 if Qc1 then ...c2, Rf1 Rxe2, Be3 Bd2, then the best they've got is Bxe2, their Queen dies anyway and I'm just gobbling material. That knight's hosed. If bxc3 then ...c4, g4 (I guess) cxd3, exd3 Rxe1+, Qxe1 and I assume either Bxb7 and again I'm munching on pawns like nobody's business, or Bf1 Qf3 and we're just going to trade down to an endgame where I'm up a rook and a couple of pawns. Nf5 cost him a good 7-8 points of material at the very least, and he's properly hosed.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Yes, but after ...dxc3 if Qc1 then ...c2, Rf1 Rxe2, Be3 Bd2, then the best they've got is Bxe2, their Queen dies anyway and I'm just gobbling material. That knight's hosed. If bxc3 then ...c4, g4 (I guess) cxd3, exd3 Rxe1+, Qxe1 and I assume either Bxb7 and again I'm munching on pawns like nobody's business, or Bf1 Qf3 and we're just going to trade down to an endgame where I'm up a rook and a couple of pawns. Nf5 cost him a good 7-8 points of material at the very least, and he's properly hosed.

Ba5 Rc3
dxc3 bxc3
c4 d4

Still great for you, no question, down effectively a rook, but at least it's not a rook and multiple pawns?

Anyway, yeah, definitely Ba5 is the best move there and it's winning.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Why would they have played d4 though? That gives away the knight with Qxf5.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Why would they have played d4 though? That gives away the knight with Qxf5.

*shrug*

I'm rusty? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Just finished a weekend tournament where, in my games, black went +4. I'll try to have the games up soon enough.