Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Hey, unlocking C won't be as bad as unlocking the Crystal Cruiser was. All I need to do is get to Section 8, right?

And I know that there's no C version of the Lanius ship or the Crystal ship. The Lanius cruiser was a blast to play in the A variant. Got myself a teleporter and the regenerative teleporting. A mind control mod and a battery too. Got the hack and the scrap achievements to unlock B, and it was just so much fun going into a ship and getting out when weak, then going back in if I didn't manage to get the people on the ship down first. The worst ship was a rebel ship with a Defense Droid II so I couldn't hack the medibay to make sure that their crew would go in and have their flesh seared off.

I only won with the Engineer Cruiser. I got REALLY lucky with the RNG in that run. Vulcan cannons are OP. With two Automated Re-Loaders and a gold weapon guy, well, let's just say that the vulcan cannon didn't stop firing. Ever.

I did notice one thing with the Stealth Cruiser. Didn't Long-Ranged scanners look across the entire map before and not just adjacent beacons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The best ship is Engi B because you get to play a space hermit who hates everyone but his robots. Or he's just playing FTL.

Also because it's fun to leave your whole ship permanently depressurized minus the cockpit. Never worry about boarding parties again!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yes, long range scanners did the entire map before.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Requested_Username posted:

Also because it's fun to leave your whole ship permanently depressurized minus the cockpit. Never worry about boarding parties again!

You can do that with the Lanius ship too. Except that while the boarders are suffocating to death they're also getting beat on by crazy alien T-1000s.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Devour or Fire posted:

They're going to nerf flak by making it cost 1 scrap to fire, I can feel it in my bones.

Honestly that's not an awful idea. Flak is just a bit on the OP side and by making it do less damage, take more power, etc that'd pretty much make it worthless but having to fling scrap with every shot would be okay with me.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I beat the game with Engi B but I'm about ready to hang myself trying to use Mantis A. I think the farthest I've gotten is sector 4 in about 7 tries. It's just so bad :negative:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

What's the best way to fight enemies when playing as the oxygen thieves? I was thinking boarding party into the O2 generator but I don't know if the drain is fast enough for that to work.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Dreggon posted:

What's the best way to fight enemies when playing as the oxygen thieves? I was thinking boarding party into the O2 generator but I don't know if the drain is fast enough for that to work.

Breach missiles combined with that? Another possibility would be hacking their oxygen room in combination with ripping holes in the ship.
I can't think of any other way, possibly because I just used them on my ship rather than as an away party.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Stealth C was a paaaain to unlock. Slug C was also a pain but not as nearly as bad as the Stealth was.

Just got Federation, Zoltan, Mantis, and Rock to go through, then I could try to win the game.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Dreggon posted:

I usually play the Rock B ship like this. Especially if I can get an early teleporter, then you can fire bomb their weapons, teleport your rock mans inside until it dies, fire bomb their O2 as well, then sit back and relax as they slowly suffocate and/or burn to death. The concept of two giant rock monsters punching people to death as fire rages around them is metal as gently caress. The concept of same giant rock monsters teleporting back to their ship to wait for the enemy crew to slowly die, all while enjoying the show on the sensors, is probably a sign I should start seeing a therapist.

I want to try it out with a Hacking module, since hacking O2 drains the whole ship, but I haven't been able to yet.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How do you guys unlock ships? Specifically, do you just beat the game or do you do the achievement things?

Also, I've played maybe 10 games, should I switch to ADVANXED?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Doing 2 achievements only unlock layout B. Using layout B and get to sector 8 unlocks layout C. To unlock new ships you have to complete certain task that's usually hinted by mousing over the black silhouette of the locked ship. For example, to unlock the federation cruiser you need to beat the game once, etc.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Dreggon posted:

Hack the Medbay, crew members won't stick around when they realise theres no oxygen but you've hacked their only way to heal.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Specifically, do you just beat the game or do you do the achievement things?

Each ship has an event that will unlock its A layout, or you just beat the game with the ship before it. Each ship has three achievements, and completing two of them will unlock a B layout. Completing the game with the B layout will unlock the C layout. Lanius A gets unlocked when you have 4 ships total, Crystal A is unlocked via an unnecessarily convoluted event string.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

pedro0930 posted:

Doing 2 achievements only unlock layout B. Using layout B and get to sector 8 unlocks layout C. To unlock new ships you have to complete certain task that's usually hinted by mousing over the black silhouette of the locked ship. For example, to unlock the federation cruiser you need to beat the game once, etc.

This is in vanilla. In advanced, you can also unlock a ship by beating the game with the previous ship in the list. Also, the federation cruiser has an unlock quest now.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.
For anyone wondering where to encounter Lanius "in the wild," check out Abandoned Sectors.

So far I've gotten owned at Stage 3 of the flagship. Mind control just sort of fucks everything up if you don't have your own system to counter. It might have been my own screw-up in the chaos, but I don't think the clone bay brings your guys back if they die while mind-controlled.

Also FTL's been really crashy for me while playing with Zoltan A, but I didn't have any problems while playing the Federation B. Anyone having similar issues?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Kilty Monroe posted:

So far I've gotten owned at Stage 3 of the flagship. Mind control just sort of fucks everything up if you don't have your own system to counter. It might have been my own screw-up in the chaos, but I don't think the clone bay brings your guys back if they die while mind-controlled.

Getting your own hacking or mind control is basically as important as adding an extra pip to O2 just for security or a failsafe even if you never use it otherwise.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Fully upgrading doors and sticking a spare person in the doors system makes enemies boarding so much easier when your crew ends up only being Zoltan

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Kilty Monroe posted:

For anyone wondering where to encounter Lanius "in the wild," check out Abandoned Sectors.

Also FTL's been really crashy for me while playing with Zoltan A, but I didn't have any problems while playing the Federation B. Anyone having similar issues?

Yeah, I've been able to chew threw the first two stages like nothing, but that final stage. I usually am able to counter the mind control, but their invaders and the Zoltan shield just handicap me enough that I get whittled away before they do.

I did show up once with Advanced Flak, Flak I, and Flak II though.
:getin:

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Alkydere posted:

Hahaha, that was great. Mantis B. Quad Mantis Boarding Party. Cloning Bay. Reconstructive Teleport. Zoltan Shield Bypass.

The mothership never had a chance. I chumped it even though it hacked my shields on stage one. The only damage I took were from stage one (the hacked shields) and stage three (overload attack). The enemy mind control is really a non-issue if you have your own to cancel the first attack and then you sic mantis boarders on the mind control room.

By the way, shield hacking actually resets your shield energy usage. So I took waaaay more damage than I should have on stage one because I kept forgetting to reset my shields. For reference, I ended stage with only about 5 HP after fighting most of stage one sans-shields.

Deploy your defense drone immediately on stage 1 next time, it usually shoots down every hacking drone the flagship sends at you.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
My first victory on normal was a type A Stealth ship. Wow, that was one amazing game.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
I've been having such a hard time with Stealth B. It was hard enough before, now it is worse because you get hard countered by autoassaults with beam or fire drones, or zoltan shielded ships. It's starting weapon is strong but takes ages to fire.

I think it's an absolute must to leave sector 1 with level 3 cloak and no hull damage.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I've been having such a hard time with Stealth B. It was hard enough before, now it is worse because you get hard countered by autoassaults with beam or fire drones, or zoltan shielded ships. It's starting weapon is strong but takes ages to fire.

I think it's an absolute must to leave sector 1 with level 3 cloak and no hull damage.

Cloak 3, or shields. Getting shields in sector 1 almost hands you the game.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I did a stealth B run this weekend. Two major things to remember: the first is knowing how to get 4 damage off your mini beam on most ships (look on the wiki) and that if you time it you can cloak just before the drone fires and then queue up laser + beam combo on their drone / weapons to avoid any damage even with cloak 1.

Also not cloaking until they fire but I assume you knew that. And don't ditch the laser beam combo until sector 3 when they get 2 shield. it's awesome, use your scrap elsewhere.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Stelas posted:

Each ship has an event that will unlock its A layout, or you just beat the game with the ship before it. Each ship has three achievements, and completing two of them will unlock a B layout. Completing the game with the B layout will unlock the C layout. Lanius A gets unlocked when you have 4 ships total, Crystal A is unlocked via an unnecessarily convoluted event string.

I don't think you drove home the crystal event.

You have to

A.) get the right randomly generated sectors in the right order
B.) You have to take the right branches to actually hit those sectors
C.) In those sectors the events must actually spawn at jump points
D.) You must actually find the right jump point before the fleet catches up

Ugh. Id rather it have been some secret hard as gently caress roving miniboss that shows up in sector seven sometimes with a big warning dot or something, the sheer random aspect of the crystal ship is way over the top.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I did a stealth B run this weekend as well. The game handed me a Flak II and pre-igniter in sector 2 and waved me goodbye. I never even bought shields, just maxed weapons cloak and engines in that order asap and ran to and through the end boss in like a 30 to 40 minute-long game.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Stealth B has glaive beam. Unlike Stealth A you have almost no evasion, no Titanium plating, and any damage to Weapons room kills your recharge. Also, the powerup time for Glaive is like 17 seconds, while your starting level 2 cloak is only 10 seconds of invulnerability. You need to let the enemy ship fire, hit cloak and hope to evade, then fire your beam and hope you completely disable their weapons, kill them, or force them to surrender. It's tough. But Glaive pays off later since it penetrates 2 shield bubbles. Ideally you need the following ASAP:

-Level 3 cloak
-More reactor power so cloak and engines are always maxed,
-Shields

On the flip side, getting weapon pre igniter and/or stealth weapons early makes it a cakewalk. Drones are great too since they do their thing while you are stealthed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Requested_Username posted:

The best ship is Engi B because you get to play a space hermit who hates everyone but his robots. Or he's just playing FTL.

Until they get into your cockpit

Dreggon posted:

It depends. Against auto-ships you can send them straight for the weapons/drones, for instance. Otherwise it depends on how well you can hit their ship with their weapons. Can't get through at all? Go for the shields, the Lanius will probably eventually gain control of the room and take them down. Can get through and hit a key system? Send the Lanius in there so it never gets repaired.

The oxygen room is probably the best option if the ship represents no threat at all, though.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I wish you could breach your own ship so you didn't have to open doors to depressurize

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Pretty sure you can target your own ship with breach bombs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
I think Engi B needs 4 drone slots. You're still limited by power requirements of drones but at least you have more options.

My issue with Engi B is that while having a solo Engi flying a borgship with only a pressurized cockpit is cool, generally you're relying on a repair drone. That takes up one of your 3 drone slots and you're back to being like any other ship, except without bonuses to weapon or shield cooldown. If you managed to get a Lanius or two, and upgrade doors it would do okay.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
So is it possible to get Lanius crewmbers?

I really want to replace the Engi B guy with a Lanius or two and just fly around in airless silences with robots.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

nucleicmaxid posted:

So is it possible to get Lanius crewmbers?

I really want to replace the Engi B guy with a Lanius or two and just fly around in airless silences with robots.

Yeah, you can get Lanius crewmembers from some random events in Abandoned Sectors.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
My first try running Slug A. One jump in, I get a random event that hands me an Ion Blaster II. Two jumps in, I find a store and buy a long-ranged scanner. I'm now in sector 4 with three shields, hacking, cloaking and drone control. If anything's going to kill this run, it's hubris.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The Lanius show up in stores and anywhere else random crew mates show up. They seem to have a lower chance of showing up than regular crew but a higher chance than crystal crew.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Jose posted:

Fully upgrading doors and sticking a spare person in the doors system makes enemies boarding so much easier when your crew ends up only being Zoltan

It's so funny, watching your three zoltan huddled in one room, seeing the red blips against the blast doors. Then suddenly the red blips are slowing in frequency. Then they are no more. Shut the doors, event over.

Lanius A your best strat is going into the O2 room, waiting for two guys to come in there with you, THEN hacking it, engaging hack. You have such a bigger combat advantage over other people because of the breathing thing. At that point you will just punch the O2 system till it breaks, I suggest going after weapons after that.

The only thing is this strat doesn't really work against other Lanius. Well, boarding in general doesn't since they have a cloning bay.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=229171039

I forgot if this was posted before but it's still good. Interview with Ben Prunty.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

http://www.npr.org/2013/10/06/229171039/composing-game-soundtracks-that-move-faster-than-light

Here's a version you can listen to, since it is NPR after all.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Dreggon posted:

I had fun sending a third level hack to the oxygen room, giving it a moment, and then teleporting the lanius invaders there, so that the end of the hack's drain coincides with the system's destruction. This left the ship with about 40% oxygen. Then you take the oxygen thieves on a stroll, room by room, draining their air. It would usually take less than 20 seconds to make the entire ship into a death zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Spaceman Future! posted:

I don't think you drove home the crystal event.

You have to

A.) get the right randomly generated sectors in the right order
B.) You have to take the right branches to actually hit those sectors
C.) In those sectors the events must actually spawn at jump points
D.) You must actually find the right jump point before the fleet catches up

Ugh. Id rather it have been some secret hard as gently caress roving miniboss that shows up in sector seven sometimes with a big warning dot or something, the sheer random aspect of the crystal ship is way over the top.

Which is why I'm so glad they included an alternate unlock for all the quest ships. Beat the game using 16 other ship models? Sure, I'd rather have fun doing that instead of grinding games trying to complete the crystal ship quest.

• Locked thread