Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh

Myriad Truths posted:

Yeah but like white weenie isn't even a deck in the current meta so I think we might have been talking at cross purposes there.

bit of a stretch to say that, it makes appearances here and there in top 16s. And if it wasnt a viable deck atm, Iroas potentially changes that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

Vomax posted:

There's one black chroma card and it only cares about the graveyard. :v: But if you're running a pauper/peasant cube with Gary then it might matter.

I've seen Grey Merchant in "normal" cubes as well, but it's not a popular inclusion I don't think.

Edit: Sarcomancy is indeed a rare

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Victor Surge posted:

Here is a god that happened.

Looks like a thing.

No no no no no I'm not building RW EDH featuring this guy nonononononono

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I love Iroas to death. I'm building RW heroic and my chief concern was how to replace Madcap Skills after rotation, since that card just ends games if not answered immediately. There we go. I was running a pure WW aggro build but it just doesn't have the reach to stop MBD or Esper/UW control from stabilizing at <8 life and winning, but making the deck slower and more punchy has given me good results.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Might give that a go myself, have Heavenly Inferno with the BW taken out as a base, and stuff like Gisela and Aurelia.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I'm really lame because I look at all the spoilers and go "How can I fit this into my multiplayer EDH decks"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
The more I look at it, the more I think he really doesn't have a place in current standard. The playable gods we have right now are Thassa, Ephara, Erebos, and Xenagos. Thassa and Ephara have extremely relevant abilities (evasion and card advantage) for their decks, and it is rarely important if they get turned on. Xenagos has a much more narrow role, but provides haste and increased power. Erebos is just Sulfuric Vortex, but he's dang good at that.

Iroas's abilities do nothing versus control and mono B, while providing questionable benefit versus monsters and mono U. I really don't believe that a Boros colored Gruul War Chant is nearly value to be played in a current deck.

Now if a new deck springs up around him, that's a different matter.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Could there also be a R/W Aggro deck that uses Akroan Hoplite, Archetype of Aggression and Iroas?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv posted:

MaRo posted on his blog today that there are a couple inspired cards in Journey, I'll find it when I'm not on my phone.

Here: http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/81966129094/was-inspired-cut-out-of-journey-into-nyx-for-flavor-or

quote:

flopfoot asked: Was Inspired cut out of Journey into Nyx for flavor or space reasons? If it is space, then I really think third sets should be allowed to be a bit larger than second sets (like in New Phyrexia).

There are inspired cards in Journey Into Nyx. Not a lot but a few.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If any red multicolor god becomes a thing, I bet it's Mogis due to inevitability.

Count Bleck posted:

Honestly I think they just made Inspired so they could make Dark Confidant v0.5

Because they did little to nothing with it.

Only thing I can see is black oak with bob2.0, so ya. And retraction helix I guess.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

BXCX posted:

My favorite part of Constellation is Mana Bloom getting picked up as a speculation target again after it first got a lot of hype in Theros spoiler season and never went anywhere.

Another speculation target is Legion's Initiative. If there's a constructed playable constellation card in red or white you could flicker all your enchantment creatures and get multiple triggers, which might make it worth a slot.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Korak posted:

Can someone point out how Iroas, God of Victory isn't completely broken in the current meta?

Lifebane Zombie is legal until October. White splash black decks are stronger, and Red splash white
aggro/devotion are on the wrong side of Lifebane.

Despite that, I'm still praying for Kruphix to be constructed playable :pray:

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Really? That's bizarre because its not listed on the Mechanics page.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Fox of Stone posted:

If any red multicolor god becomes a thing, I bet it's Mogis due to inevitability.

That's saying a lot for Keranos not being spoiled yet.

Remember, blue does everything best (see: Thassa, Ephara). Also I thought Xenagos, God of Revels was a thing in monsters?

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 7, 2014

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ChewyLSB posted:

Really? That's bizarre because its not listed on the Mechanics page.

Maybe all the inspired cards got removed and Rosewater forgot, I really have no idea.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

Maybe all the inspired cards got removed and Rosewater forgot, I really have no idea.

Well, inspired was a pretty uninspired mechanic, so not a big loss either way.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Zoness posted:

That's saying a lot for Keranos not being spoiled yet.

Remember, blue does everything best (see: Thassa, Ephara). Also I thought Xenagos, God of Revels was a thing in monsters?

When's the last time UR was good though? I guess briefly in Innistrad before everyone learned white was a better partner in Delver?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

When's the last time UR was good though? I guess briefly in Innistrad before everyone learned white was a better partner in Delver?

Izzet Blitz Rest in Peace :qq:

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Mildly amused that Lash of the Whip will kill Iroas.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

AegisP posted:

Mildly amused that Lash of the Whip will kill Iroas.

He's more resistant to removal as an enchantment, but his abilities reward a full board, meaning he'll be turned on more often than not, making him more vulnerable to removal.

A balanced downside?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Nehru the Damaja posted:

When Shard Phoenix and Capsize were standard legal.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MrBling posted:

When Shard Phoenix and Capsize were standard legal.

That's a funny way to say Twin, Dragonstorm, or Izzetron.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
So apparently Buyback was in Journey Into Nyx for a while:

Ethan Fleischer posted:

The development team tried replacing resupply with buyback, a mechanic originally introduced in Tempest block. I was actually pretty horrified, as buyback creates repetitive game states. The card designs were much better than the buyback cards of old; there were no Capsizes or Constant Mists in the set, but I was still concerned.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Konstantin posted:

Another speculation target is Legion's Initiative. If there's a constructed playable constellation card in red or white you could flicker all your enchantment creatures and get multiple triggers, which might make it worth a slot.

That seems reasonable though since even if Initiative doesn't end up as a thing in standard it's a Mythic that has kitchen table/casual appeal from a poorly opened set. Bloom at its best could read "G: Trigger Constellation at sorcery speed once per turn."

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I'm really lame because I look at all the spoilers and go "How can I fit this into my multiplayer EDH decks"

I actually like the Glorious Anthem artifact for MUDERGOATS.dec as a way to buff certain tokens based on the matchup.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Zoness posted:

That's a funny way to say Twin, Dragonstorm, or Izzetron.

Let's not forget U/R Pyromancer Ascension, when both Preordain and Ponder were Standard legal.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I really hope Pharika is good, I like the art and I always wanted to try the golgari deck but didn't think it really had an effective finisher.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Would one of our resident grecophiles like to weigh in on the pronunciation of 'Leucrocota' right now and save us all some trouble? You know, for when I'm being passed yet another of those things as the last card in a draft-pack.

I'm guessing 'loo-cro-CO-tuh'.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
Fresh leeches.

Chainsawdomy posted:

Would one of our resident grecophiles like to weigh in on the pronunciation of 'Leucrocota' right now and save us all some trouble? You know, for when I'm being passed yet another of those things as the last card in a draft-pack.

Lou Crow Kota

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Bugsy posted:

Spear of Heliod does everything the Hall does and has a good ability, plus you don't have to limit yourself to one color.

Yes, but Spear is Legendary, which means you can only have one out at a time. I'm saying you play both in your deck, so you can have two anthem effects out at the same time, which is something WW would be happy to do.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

BXCX posted:

My favorite part of Constellation is Mana Bloom getting picked up as a speculation target again after it first got a lot of hype in Theros spoiler season and never went anywhere.
1 mana draw a card in green is pretty decent in certain decks, the main problem will be having to wait till turn 4-5 to get use off it and needing two cards to do so. Probably too christmas-y.

Chorocojo posted:

Fresh leeches.

Good in mono black aggro as an efficient beater or too vanilla even if he can grow?

Korak fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 7, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Korak posted:

Good in mono black aggro as an efficient beater or too vanilla even if he can grow?

Seems too slow for aggro (especially with Mutavaults / Shocklands) and slower decks have more resilient finishers.

If you're casting it on turn 4, it's a vanilla 4/4 or 3/3, and there's better things you could be doing there.

If you're planning for turn 8 you're not an aggro deck.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Korak posted:

1 mana draw a card in green is pretty decent in certain decks, the main problem will be having to wait till turn 4-5 to get use off it and needing two cards to do so. Probably too christmas-y.

No evasion and no resilience to removal makes him a 4/4 for 4 on the best of days. For the same mana you get a 6/6 flier or The Abyss every turn, which is *just* a bit better.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Entropic posted:

Seems too slow for aggro (especially with Mutavaults / Shocklands) and slower decks have more resilient finishers.

You probably mean scrylands since he plays fine with (black) shocklands. :v:

That said, I imagine it's definitely too slow. Remember that the gold standard in black for 4 mana is a 6/6 with evasion.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Could this be what mono-black wants to replace Desecration Demon after it rotates? It's obviously not as good on turn 4, but it's definitely better in the late game, and can actually block if/when you need it to.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

JerryLee posted:

You probably mean scrylands since he plays fine with (black) shocklands. :v:

That said, I imagine it's definitely too slow. Remember that the gold standard in black for 4 mana is a 6/6 with evasion.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Though aggro decks probably don't want scry lands. I still think they would rather play Demon or Mogis or something at 4 though.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chainsawdomy posted:

I'm guessing 'loo-cro-CO-tuh'.

If it's how I think it is, it's Λευκροκότα, pronounced "lefkroKOta" (caps are for the intonation). "lef" as in "left", "kro" as in "cro magnon", "ko" as in "kodama's reach" and "ta" as in "tantalus".

Still a shame Theros doesn't get actual Greek cards (like the Questing Phelddagrif promo), actually, it would have been a good opportunity.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

In legacy, like a month ago. UR Delver still gets play, UWR may be better a good chunk of the time, but the legacy metagame is weirdly fluid and changing for how static the archetypes are, and UR definitely shows up as a good deck from time to time.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Squelching Leeches doesn't even seem that great for limited. Unless you can somehow pull of a mono-black deck it's going to be like a 3/3 for 4 or turn 4 or 5 at best, and by the time you're at 7 or 8 mana it's still not going toe-to-toe with the big green dinosaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Madmarker posted:

In legacy, like a month ago. UR Delver still gets play, UWR may be better a good chunk of the time, but the legacy metagame is weirdly fluid and changing for how static the archetypes are, and UR definitely shows up as a good deck from time to time.

Yeah I meant standard since we're talking about the odds that a new UR card will be good, though. UR Delver was awesome for like... two events in Innistrad and I imagine that's the most recent, unless you count really token amounts of red in UW control decks.

• Locked thread