Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

While I do a proposal for a more define business continuity plan I would have quit internal gigs a while ago. I mean sure they pay more but wow is it easy.

You have got to look for more challenging employment at larger shops. Look for requisitions where you have 50%-60% of the skills, not an incremental move. It's easy to dismiss work you can do in your sleep. So don't get jobs you can do in your sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

This is a major pet peeve of mine. Buy some goddamned storage already!

That and people who want to do cloud backups for large amounts of data but only have lovely DSL to use for upload.

Last week I had to speak to someone whose dataset would have, literally, taken a year to upload. Somehow this person got through every support tier all the way up to me in engineering. I had to tell them that I can't change how math works.

I cannae change the laws of physics captain!

missed chance imho

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

njark posted:

The security desk is missing files after our company forced every XP machine on the network to run the windows 7 migration. Okay simple enough only a few machines still on it i'm sure USMT threw their files on C:/migrateddata or is still on the server where it's suppost to initially store them while it installs windows 7.
We've solved this neatly by not allowing anything that is safety-critical onto our clusterfuck of an office network. The fire alarm control unit and door security control unit plus their logging server and two consoles are on their own separate physical network, not connected to the AD or to the internet. The unused ports in the switch are disabled, and the active ports are hardware address locked.

They're also not maintained by IT, but by the contractor that's responsible for the fire and security system. So it's not my headache.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

That makes me a little queasy, and I deal with stuff like this an an almost daily basis:

(aircraft wiring in mid-modification)

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Coming from MSP/VAR you can quickly work your way up and have the skills for doing quick cost analysis's and risk assessments. Nothing is better than breaking down a meetings' email convo's 30 minutes after with a cost, and risk analysis within a day.

Hey Dilbert, can you elaborate a little more on this? I would love to get into the business side of things and any resources you might have or advice you could give would be great. Currently working as the systems analyst(.../sysadmin/network admin), but unless I'm working with computer systems directly, my analysis has been more policy driven advice without concrete cost/time analysis back it up. I am taxpayer funded with a yearly budget, so traditional ROI stuff does not apply according to a mentor

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 6, 2014

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Inspector_666 posted:

What do you mean? One of our clients has a rack with the kinked panels and it's neat and easy. I mean, it's kind of pointless since you shouldn't need to be straining the bend into the panel anyway, but it certainly doesn't detract from the cleanliness.

Just over time people adding and removing cables. Using cables that are too long so there is more slack than the others. Or too short and doing a run straight vertical.

People are slobs.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Vertical runs should be avoided where possible. Put your access switches close to your patch panels and use the shortest patch cables you can.

For office access networks I'm a fan of having an access port per drop and just put in 48 port switches with a 24 port panel above and below each. Access switches are cheap.

For server racks I'll just put two access switches in the middle of each rack and run 10GbE (or multiple Gig trunks if 10GbE isn't available) to a core switch.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Moey posted:

Just over time people adding and removing cables. Using cables that are too long so there is more slack than the others. Or too short and doing a run straight vertical.

People are slobs.

Yeah, but I don't see how that's a problem related to the kinked patch panels, unless I misread your first post?

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

Collateral Damage posted:

We've solved this neatly by not allowing anything that is safety-critical onto our clusterfuck of an office network. The fire alarm control unit and door security control unit plus their logging server and two consoles are on their own separate physical network, not connected to the AD or to the internet. The unused ports in the switch are disabled, and the active ports are hardware address locked.

They're also not maintained by IT, but by the contractor that's responsible for the fire and security system. So it's not my headache.

Yeah but that's a good idea tho so sorry we're not going to do that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

spankmeister posted:

I cannae change the laws of physics captain!

missed chance imho

I have used this before also! But then the person doesn't get it and it's harder to explain so screw it.

I now say I can't change how math works. It's easier.

And you have no idea how sad I am that I have to explain the concept often enough to have come up with a lowest common denominator response.

roflsaurus
Jun 5, 2004

GAOooooooh!! RAOR!!!
I have a bit of a unique requirement in a ticketing system. My boss is constantly after me to improve scheduling and forecasting.

We're a development house that deals with small adhoc jobs and larger, longer running jobs as well in a mixed team. (e.g. one job could be 1 hour, another could be 300 dev hours across 3 resources)

For most of our projects we know roughly when they will fall. It would be great if there was some kind of system that could show forward utilization. Preferably with pretty pictures / gantt charts. E.g. In July we will have a 2 week window with nothing much on. Or we have 6 projects all going live in one day in June.

Has anyone else been in this situation?

Cheradenine
May 29, 2009

Moey posted:

I have never known their sales people to not be obnoxious. Don't ever download any of their free stuff.

Whats going on with those kinked patch panels?

This is what I did at my old place for access layer.

Neat Patch are great; I used them for our last office move and am planning to re-cable the racks in our other two sites with them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

roflsaurus posted:

I have a bit of a unique requirement in a ticketing system. My boss is constantly after me to improve scheduling and forecasting.

We're a development house that deals with small adhoc jobs and larger, longer running jobs as well in a mixed team. (e.g. one job could be 1 hour, another could be 300 dev hours across 3 resources)

For most of our projects we know roughly when they will fall. It would be great if there was some kind of system that could show forward utilization. Preferably with pretty pictures / gantt charts. E.g. In July we will have a 2 week window with nothing much on. Or we have 6 projects all going live in one day in June.

Can't you just draw up a chart showing what projects are happening at what times? Just have a year long chart (only show the months if you're feeling lazy) and just write dates into each month.

That way when they ask what's going on with your projects you can show them where all your deadlines are and tell them that they need to spread stuff out more. The biggest problem i've found is that management/sales will promise customers the world and forget that they have a team that actually needs to finish this stuff.

E: If you want an actual software i'll have to ask around and get back to you. I know there was a software that was perfect for this but I can't remember the name.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 7, 2014

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Today I got added to an email chain that had no less than four "please do the needful"s and three "please revert back"s. Mostly because this thing had been passed through about a dozen layers of organisational structure before finally landing with my department, where it needed to be. Hooray.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Reply to all with "Please summarize".

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

roflsaurus posted:

You don't want a ticket system, you want a project management tool. Your Project management tool generating work orders as things come up might be a nice tie in to your ticket system.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

evobatman posted:

Reply to all with "Please summarize".

The very first mail in the chain contained the stuff my team needed to do, it had just been bounced through so many layers of the organisation before it got to us. It was pretty funny once I worked that out.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, but I don't see how that's a problem related to the kinked patch panels, unless I misread your first post?

Nothing related to the kinked patch panels, just seems like it would be a pain with all those longer patch cables.

I think I have drank the neat patch koolaid.

Cheradenine posted:

Neat Patch are great

Yea buddy!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

dogstile posted:

E: If you want an actual software i'll have to ask around and get back to you. I know there was a software that was perfect for this but I can't remember the name.

Excel. The answer is always Excel. :v:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

KennyTheFish posted:

You don't want a ticket system, you want a project management tool. Your Project management tool generating work orders as things come up might be a nice tie in to your ticket system.

Are you a dev? The answer may be that you need a project manager.

Microsoft Project works well for this exact kind of thing, though, from a software perspective. Depending on the environment you're already in (repository, existing task management software, etc) there may be better options that can integrate into existing systems already.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I've had luck using Podio to organize projects with lots of different groups.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

An email came in:

"Uh, hi, we're moving services to ~~the cloud~~ and we're doing it right now. We probably should have told you but if you see alerts on $VM1 and $VM2 that's us"

Of course, this happened after hours and of course I found out by Nagios going apeshit first, then the email :smithcloud:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I've had luck using Podio to organize projects with lots of different groups.

Parsed this as "using Polio to..."

I guess that would be one way of getting rid of the disruptive and unhelpful members of your team.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

luminalflux posted:

An email came in:

"Uh, hi, we're moving services to ~~the cloud~~ and we're doing it right now. We probably should have told you but if you see alerts on $VM1 and $VM2 that's us"

Of course, this happened after hours and of course I found out by Nagios going apeshit first, then the email :smithcloud:

I hate this. Get alerts about some super critical server having issues on VxVM, or a cluster going into a partially available state, and it turns out they are doing maintenance that they failed to tell anyone about.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
7000 emails came in...

Someone forgot to set up a maintenance window on the alerting servers before replacing the edge routers (which are supposed to be redundant in the first place :psyduck:).

Also, something tells me this link aggregation isn't: http://imgur.com/a/HHhEd
(I checked and a lot of the other servers in these switches also seem to be going stag-link)

deimos fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 7, 2014

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Just had a ton of people fall for the fake Google Docs sign in.

Time to go through and suspend a ton of accounts.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

luminalflux posted:

An email came in:

I was on the other side of this a couple days back. Set up a deploy for a new, not-yet-user-facing system, start running down the deploy checklist. Head to nagios to set up downtime, hosts aren't on nagios yet. Odd. Shrug, make a note to talk to someone about it later, go to do the deploy...

Both hosts had fallen over at some point, and nobody noticed because the ticket about putting the hosts on nagios from a month prior had been sitting in some guy's queue untouched for that entire time. :negative:

Needless to say, the deploy was somewhat delayed :v:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

I don't bother telling operations when I take poo poo down beacuse they spent 8 days routing the incident to me the last time.
I figure they need the practice... :v:

(Having a meeting with them on wednesday to tell them that emergency medical service dispatch systems are kinda critical, so kindly escalate and route the tickes when you get alarms...)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

RFC2324 posted:

I hate this. Get alerts about some super critical server having issues on VxVM, or a cluster going into a partially available state, and it turns out they are doing maintenance that they failed to tell anyone about.

Actually just had this today.

Except they were working on a fiber link between two remote sites and we thought we had a serious business cut :(

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Some water came in...

To a clients main server room :smithicide:

A water heater on the floor above the server room gave way and let loose it's contents all over their equipment closet. Still waiting on a full report of the damages from the field tech.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Some water came in...

A water heater on the floor above the server room gave way and let loose it's contents all over their equipment closet. Still waiting on a full report of the damages from the field tech.

This is always fun. Especially when there is PoE involved.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Some water came in...

Root cause analysis: god hates you.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Root cause analysis: god hates you.

Ain't that the truth,

though water heaters will occasionally fail if you don't change out the Zincs and disregard the EoL date (Edit: Approximately 13 Years). It's happened in my parents house. In that case it was a catostrophic failure filled up the basement to about 1 1-2 feet deep. Fortunately in that case the basement wasn't furnished, and killing the incoming waterline stopped the great flood and it stopped shy of the service panel. A brand new 3 inch high volume pump got its inaugural test that day and passed with flying colors.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 7, 2014

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

My heater just failed today. Small leak at the outlet, probably just a broken O-ring. Just drops dripping onto the heater and running down the side...
...onto the electrical panel cleverly placed at the bottom of the heater directly below the outlet valve.

It's wired directly to the mains by the previous owners, so we can't unplug it and the stove is on the same tripped circuit.
I'm glad we have a kettle so we at least got to have instant noddles for dinner...

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in: Please investigate why my virtual computer reboots down at 6pm every day

at \\compname

Scheduled task: Run DedicatedRebootScript at 6pm on Mon/Tues/Wed...

A ticket was closed: Working as intended

Ahh, love these easy tickets

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A forwarded e-mail came in...

Looks like the CEO of our parent company fell for the fake Google Docs phishing scam. Possibly from the fake e-mail that was sent from one of my compromised accounts!

I mean it's just so convincing!

I'm going to get the approval to make everybody turn on two factor authentication.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

pr0digal posted:

A forwarded e-mail came in...

Looks like the CEO of our parent company fell for the fake Google Docs phishing scam. Possibly from the fake e-mail that was sent from one of my compromised accounts!

I mean it's just so convincing!

I'm going to get the approval to make everybody turn on two factor authentication.
Seems pretty normal for what my co-workers send to each other, sadly, so I can kind of see why people are falling for it.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Mercurius posted:

Seems pretty normal for what my co-workers send to each other, sadly, so I can kind of see why people are falling for it.

I mean the log in page does look legit so that I can understand. But since we're a Google Apps house and people use Drive a ton they should know what a legit Google Drive e-mail looks like.

...who am I kidding, I'm just glad I caught it before more accounts got nailed :eng99:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cablechat:

I don't know who set up my offices cabling but they did a drat fine job.

e; Now with less hugeyness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
drat, that's beautiful. Except this guy right here :argh::

Still, it's a HELL of a lot cleaner than our closets.

• Locked thread