Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chive Manerby
Jan 29, 2009
Let's see, January 31st...while I don't see anything on my actual date of birth, I wonder what the other...

quote:

TNG: "Sub Rosa" airs.

Oh no. I'm sorry I ever looked in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!
I share a birthday with William Shatner.

Right now I'm watching the last episode of TNG Season 4, where Picard declares Gowron the leader of the Klingon Empire and sets off the civil war. Great episode, but drat, the Duras sisters' wardrobe...those have to rate among the all-time terrible fantasy/sci-fi female armor sets. Just a completely unnecessary cleavage hole.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I share a birthday with Avery Brooks. And my actual birth day was the 5th day of filming for Hide and Q.

ISN'T IT POSSIBLE, that you can't win them all.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

lexan posted:

I share a birthday with William Shatner.

Right now I'm watching the last episode of TNG Season 4, where Picard declares Gowron the leader of the Klingon Empire and sets off the civil war. Great episode, but drat, the Duras sisters' wardrobe...those have to rate among the all-time terrible fantasy/sci-fi female armor sets. Just a completely unnecessary cleavage hole.

Cleavage is never unnecessary, you monster.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tighclops posted:

Cleavage is never unnecessary, you monster.

What if its Madonna's cleavage?

Current day Madonna.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh, apparently Hoshi's birthday is just Linda Park's birthday, shifted forward a few years or so.

That's even worse. :qq:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

What if its Madonna's cleavage?

Current day Madonna.

Risk is part of the game if you want to sit in that chair.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Guardian of Forever scenes from The City on the Edge of Forever were filmed and The Measure of a Man aired on my birthday . :haw

Also, Andreas Katsulas died. :smith:

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 6, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Is there anything notable in Star Trek on May 31? Because that's my birthday.:)

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I'm born July 20, wonder what that coincides with that

quote:

James Doohan dies

:smith:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

My birthday coincides with the first day of filming for TWOK. :dance:

It also coincides with the first day of filming for Sub Rosa and I share a birthday with Robert Duncan McNeill. :(

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Is there anything notable in Star Trek on May 31? Because that's my birthday.:)

First day of filming on TOS: "Who Mourns for Adonais?". The bridge scenes are filmed today.

First day of filming on TOS: "Elaan of Troyius".

And a bunch of other poo poo go look for yourself.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I share a birthday with Jerry Goldsmith, ah yeah

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's got to be a few hundred thousand people who were born the day Challenger exploded. And 9/11. And the Columbia disaster. And on Nemesis release day.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Hey, I was born on July 9th! I wonder what random Star Trek thing coincides with that date! :v:

gently caress me like a goat :mad:

If it makes you feel any better, I share a June 2nd birthday with Anthony "Travis Mayweather" Montgomery. Maybe that explains why I'm not very talky.

Also, DS9 ended on my birthday. :(

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!
I have some serious doubts about the Starfleet command structure. Worf resigns his commission in order to participate in a civil war in which the Federation has explicitly declined to intervene. Upon leading his side to a decisive victory, he asks Captain Picard for permission to return to duty, which is promptly granted.

Huh? Doesn't he have to go before a court martial to be tried for desertion and providing material support to a foreign military against explicit orders? And even if not, how is it possibly within a ship captain's authority to reinstate him, especially as a commissioned officer? This doesn't make any sense at all. With a system like that, Starfleet would have devolved into a series of fiefdoms with each Captain becoming the warlord of his own private army within a few decades.

Whatever. "Darmok" is on next. Been waiting for this one.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

lexan posted:

Shaka, when the walls fell. Temba, his arms wide.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drone posted:

I have a hard time believing that the Ent-D only holds 1,000 while one of the US Navy's supercarriers holds like 5,000.

Then again, those 1,000 on the D are living in conditions of luxury far surpassing anything on a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier. I'm suddenly remembering those old Star Trek: Starship Creator games where you could choose everything down to the most minor detail, including how big and nice the crew quarters were. Smaller quarters = more crew.

Since this topic has come up again, I'll repost this tech memo issued by Rick Sternbach from TNG preproduction days:

Interesting to note is that 6500, besides being close to Andrew Probert's original proposal for total crew complement, adds with the ~10,000 figure Sternbach gives to come pretty close to the ~15k emergency evac capacity suggested later on.

Fister Roboto posted:

There's an episode where Odo, Kira, and Shakaar are in a turbolift that gets sabotaged and they start plummeting down the shaft. I get that there's gravity plating or whatever everywhere to keep people glued to the floor, but who would design an elevator on a space station so that if something goes wrong it starts falling "down"?

(the answer is Gul Dukat)

Unfortunately this also happened in TNG Disaster.

lexan posted:

I have some serious doubts about the Starfleet command structure. Worf resigns his commission in order to participate in a civil war in which the Federation has explicitly declined to intervene. Upon leading his side to a decisive victory, he asks Captain Picard for permission to return to duty, which is promptly granted.

Huh? Doesn't he have to go before a court martial to be tried for desertion and providing material support to a foreign military against explicit orders? And even if not, how is it possibly within a ship captain's authority to reinstate him, especially as a commissioned officer? This doesn't make any sense at all. With a system like that, Starfleet would have devolved into a series of fiefdoms with each Captain becoming the warlord of his own private army within a few decades.

You do remember that Captain Picard literally gave Wesley Crusher a field commission as a Starfleet officer a couple of years prior to that, right? That basically translates into "yeah, this kid's in Starfleet now on my personal authority."

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

You do remember that Captain Picard literally gave Wesley Crusher a field commission as a Starfleet officer a couple of years prior to that, right? That basically translates into "yeah, this kid's in Starfleet now on my personal authority."

I was mostly being silly, but yeah, that seems weird too. Giving an enlisted person a field commission as an ensign is certainly not abnormal, but a civilian? And at any rate, that seems a far way off from pardoning a deserter and reinstating him at a commissioned rank above ensign.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

He just assumes that 66% of the area of each deck will be available for crew use, and "conservatively" estimates 33% of total ship volume as available for quarters. That's a heck of an assumption.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alright, I need fanart. Fanart of Morn flying in a Spitfire in the Battle of Britain.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MikeJF posted:

To be fair maybe they also house people from the Federation member race G'roz'oooglebarg, intelligent sharks from the planet Aquatmega Five.

I always thought it'd be neat if there was, like, a section of the D that was for, say, methane breathers, and sections for other atmospheres and environments.

You mean like they had on... Babylon 5 :jmsmug:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fister Roboto posted:

Alright, I need fanart. Fanart of Morn flying in a Spitfire in the Battle of Britain.

To Clive. :smith:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Luigi Thirty posted:

You mean like they had on... Babylon 5 :jmsmug:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

He just assumes that 66% of the area of each deck will be available for crew use, and "conservatively" estimates 33% of total ship volume as available for quarters. That's a heck of an assumption.

Yeah, where do they keep all the redshirts on ice?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gonz posted:

Shaka, when the walls fell.

Chaka Khan, when she was every woman.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, where do they keep all the redshirts on ice?

Captain Kirk, when you pulled up to my space station, did you see a sign out front that said "dead crewman storage"?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Chaka Khan, when she was every woman.

This song actually turned up in the rotation at work today. When the walls fell, indeed :stonk:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wow, "Hard Time". That was a little difficult to watch.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Fister Roboto posted:

Captain Kirk, when you pulled up to my space station, did you see a sign out front that said "dead crewman storage"?

The episode apple?

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Hey, I was born on July 9th! I wonder what random Star Trek thing coincides with that date! :v:

gently caress me like a goat :mad:

You share a birthday with a serious spacebabe. What's the deal?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Just watched ENT "Extinction"

Scott Bakula jumping around in frogman makeup and making weird noises ruled. Not much else to say; if you're desperate enough to watch Enterprise you may as well watch this.

Best scene is when frog Archer alpha male allows frog Reid to eat a egg filled with worms?

Archer has a ridiculous fold of skin on his forehead at the end after ~space dna antivirus technology~ saves the day

In summation: is enterprise over yet?

Oberst fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 7, 2014

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Oberst posted:

In summation: is enterprise over yet?

Levar Burton straight-up apologized for that episode.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I am OK posted:

You share a birthday with a serious spacebabe. What's the deal?

Hoshi is Enterprise's Neelix/Troi. She's supposed to be really useful at the beginning, but is almost immediately rendered useless.

And yeah, she's pretty, but does she have the strut of a striptease queen? I think not :colbert:

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Comparing Hoshi to Neelix is pretty unfair. She was just bland instead of actively offensive.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

lexan posted:

I was mostly being silly, but yeah, that seems weird too. Giving an enlisted person a field commission as an ensign is certainly not abnormal, but a civilian? And at any rate, that seems a far way off from pardoning a deserter and reinstating him at a commissioned rank above ensign.

The entire point of resigning his commission is so that he wouldn't have been a deserter.

Besides, it's the Federation we're talking about. People probably quit jobs for other opportunities all the time and are welcomed back with open arms.

"We're sorry that new direction you wanted to take your life didn't work out for you. C'mon, let's get you back to work and we'll get Jenny in Accounting to give you a few extra replicator credits for some cookies."

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

I laughed! Even though I didn't recognize his face.

McNally posted:

Besides, it's the Federation we're talking about. People probably quit jobs for other opportunities all the time and are welcomed back with open arms.

That was my assumption too. People like Reed, Worf, and Picard (especially early on) come in like hardasses and everyone around them is basically going "Jeez, what's this guy's deal? Lighten up brah." :smug:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mr. Horrible posted:

Jeez, what's this guy's deal? Lighten up brah." :smug:

E:

"Ronny Cox posted:

I know, and I never saw him as an unlikable character. I think there were a lot of things that he did that were really important for that show. Having Troi put on a drat uniform? Give me a break! This is an officer on a ship and she’s running around with her boobs hanging out? I’ll tell you something else that people might not know. Jellico made them take the fish (which was named Livingston) out of the ready room. And here’s a secret: Patrick (Stewart) hated the fish in the ready room. Patrick was always after them to take the fish out of the ready room. His point – and it’s a point well taken – was, “We’re doing a series about the species of the universe, about the dignity of different species, and we have a captured species swimming around in the ready room? That’s immoral.” So he never wanted the fish there. Now, it makes for pretty good production values to have those fish swimming around, so visually I could understand why the producers wanted to do it. So, them having me take the fish out of the ready room was actually sort of a bone they threw to Patrick.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 7, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Fister Roboto posted:

I fuckin love that episode. Existential stuff really gets to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Fister Roboto posted:

Farecoal posted:

I fuckin love that episode. Existential stuff really gets to me.
I really like that episode, too. Especially the really grim stuff at the end. The only problem was how it had no lasting consequences. That would have seriously hosed O'Brien up for longer than the episode gets across.

This also applies to The Inner Light but that was at least followed up in the episode Lessons where Picard plays his space flute to that science lady in the jefferies tube with the really obvious fake set extension drawing.

edit: ho ho ho

Fucked-Up Little Dog fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 7, 2014

• Locked thread