Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

Ciaphas posted:

Any other gotchas with chunks I should know of?

This but for coding mods.

Any tips for writing code that doesn't break horribly when two things, one in a loaded chunk and one in a chunk that has been unloaded, try to interact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Limerick posted:

This but for coding mods.

Any tips for writing code that doesn't break horribly when two things, one in a loaded chunk and one in a chunk that has been unloaded, try to interact?

Generally all the getX functions in IBlockAccess will automatically load the chunk to check it, so you generally don't need to worry about things breaking. However, if you don't want to let it do that, you need to check if a chunk is loaded prior to looking at what's in it, and with that consideration it's important to be able to postpone or ignore things that happen in unloaded chunks.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I realize this is probably a pretty obvious question, but has Minecraft become a shitload more demanding on computers RAM wise the last few versions? I used to run the old version (pre-resource pack) on my old Laptop with over 100 mods and only rarely came across out of memory errors, but I'm pretty much plagued by them on mods about the same size on my PC (which has more RAM than the laptop, even though it's kinda irrelevant since both are 32-bit systems so there's the hardcap on the amount I can use anyway) I remember being able to run the Plus back when it existed, but the nearest equivilent nowadays just doesn't like working right.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Shukaro posted:

Generally all the getX functions in IBlockAccess will automatically load the chunk to check it, so you generally don't need to worry about things breaking. However, if you don't want to let it do that, you need to check if a chunk is loaded prior to looking at what's in it, and with that consideration it's important to be able to postpone or ignore things that happen in unloaded chunks.

Also, this only works on the server. On the client, there's no way to know if a chunk is loaded or not, and, if you request an unloaded chunk on the client, it will request it from the server - potentially loading it there too.

In short, Minecraft chunks are a goddamn nightmare, code-wise.

If the interaction is one-to-one (e.g. one block pushing an item or something to another block), yeah, you're going to have to check if chunks are loaded, then get the block/tile-entity. Otherwise, you may want to use the event bus or write an event queue that gets processed before/after world ticks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jblade posted:

I realize this is probably a pretty obvious question, but has Minecraft become a shitload more demanding on computers RAM wise the last few versions? I used to run the old version (pre-resource pack) on my old Laptop with over 100 mods and only rarely came across out of memory errors, but I'm pretty much plagued by them on mods about the same size on my PC (which has more RAM than the laptop, even though it's kinda irrelevant since both are 32-bit systems so there's the hardcap on the amount I can use anyway) I remember being able to run the Plus back when it existed, but the nearest equivilent nowadays just doesn't like working right.

I've run into the same thing, even smaller packs now a days are much bigger resource hogs. If you want to run 100+ mods and do it on a lovely laptop then I suggest you try out the old 1.2.5 singleplayer client. It runs way better than a modern pack (at least for me). I expect a lot of people play multiplay and don't notice as much because a lot of the load is taken on by the server.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm having trouble keeping my digital miner running, even with a spot loader in the same chunk. It'll work flawlessly if I'm there, but if I leave dimension and don't come back very quickly, it'll get frozen up and I have to reset it. Does it rely on the chunks it's mining from being loaded when the blocks are trying to be mined?

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
And another question about the Digital Miner, since the official Mekanism wiki has nothing on it about setting the configs: I can't figure out how to get it to mine, for example, copper ore. *copper*, *copper, copper, copper*, and all of those with 'copperore' instead, don't work. I thought that's how the ore dictionary was supposed to work? I gave up and just put in *ore* but now it's mining a ton of poo poo that I don't want from mods I don't use, and there were a few that I wanted to turn silk touch on and throw through the pulverizer... so what's the correct way to get the copper ore dictionary entry to register in the config?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

BlueOccamy posted:

And another question about the Digital Miner, since the official Mekanism wiki has nothing on it about setting the configs: I can't figure out how to get it to mine, for example, copper ore. *copper*, *copper, copper, copper*, and all of those with 'copperore' instead, don't work. I thought that's how the ore dictionary was supposed to work? I gave up and just put in *ore* but now it's mining a ton of poo poo that I don't want from mods I don't use, and there were a few that I wanted to turn silk touch on and throw through the pulverizer... so what's the correct way to get the copper ore dictionary entry to register in the config?

The digital miner is case sensitive. The ore dictionary entry for copper ore is oreCopper, so to mine it you would have to use something like *Copper. I think NEI has an option that lets you see ore dictionary entries for items, to help you find some of the weirder ones, but most items just need to be capitalized like oreCopper is.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

help

I pressed something and now the Opis minimap looks like this, making it impossible to do anything. I have no idea what I pressed and the various keybindings listed in the options for Opis don't seem to fix this. What did I do and how do I reverse it?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

ToxicFrog posted:

help

I pressed something and now the Opis minimap looks like this, making it impossible to do anything. I have no idea what I pressed and the various keybindings listed in the options for Opis don't seem to fix this. What did I do and how do I reverse it?

I think it's "n".

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

help

I think hitting N might toggle the different map modes.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gerdalti posted:

I think it's "n".

:doh: I assumed that "next map mode" meant cycling through surface/underground/etc. Thanks.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

The digital miner is case sensitive. The ore dictionary entry for copper ore is oreCopper, so to mine it you would have to use something like *Copper. I think NEI has an option that lets you see ore dictionary entries for items, to help you find some of the weirder ones, but most items just need to be capitalized like oreCopper is.

To get to that option:
Open your inventory and click the Options button in the lower left
click NEI Plugins
then Tools for Developers (or similar)
then Show Ore Dictionary Entries

and you'll see what oredict names (if any) an item has when you mouse over it.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Sunblood posted:

To get to that option:
Open your inventory and click the Options button in the lower left
click NEI Plugins
then Tools for Developers (or similar)
then Show Ore Dictionary Entries

and you'll see what oredict names (if any) an item has when you mouse over it.

Thank you for this! I knew I'd seen that option a few weeks ago when I was putzing around all the menus but couldn't figure out how to get to it :)

isam
Oct 26, 2010
does anyone here have any experience with Aeternos (https://aternos.org/server/) and FTB Monster pack? Can't seem to figure out what version they have installed.

//update
figured it out. apparently they're running an older verion 1.0.5

isam fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 7, 2014

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Right quick: on Carpenter's blocks mod, when I place a colored block from Extra Utilities into the shape, it turns into the default white, is there a way to change it to make it appear as the correct color?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Right quick: on Carpenter's blocks mod, when I place a colored block from Extra Utilities into the shape, it turns into the default white, is there a way to change it to make it appear as the correct color?

Unlikely. I expect the altered color is stored as a tile entity, and CB is only supposed to work with decorative blocks.

That said, you can apply dye to carpenter's blocks, as well as individually to the side covers.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Rutibex posted:

I've run into the same thing, even smaller packs now a days are much bigger resource hogs. If you want to run 100+ mods and do it on a lovely laptop then I suggest you try out the old 1.2.5 singleplayer client. It runs way better than a modern pack (at least for me). I expect a lot of people play multiplay and don't notice as much because a lot of the load is taken on by the server.
I've got a desktop PC with a passable graphics card now, but I do remember that the old 1.2.5 tekkit used to run much better for me before the server-fuckery they added in. I might have to try it again until I can get my hands on a better PC, thanks.

Pixotic
Jan 14, 2008

He could be in this very room!
He could be
you!
He could be
me!
He could even b:commissar:
Picture time! :toot:

My basemate and I shacked up in a massive ATG dormant volcano/mountain. Deep within it my buddy decided to build a honking big BigReactor. I got bored the other day and decided to gussy it up some.

Here's the entrance, hidden behind an advanced drawbridge blast door. Flip the lever and...

OH GOD. The faces of my buddy and me stare down upon you. Ever watchful. Always watching. Watching you. Waiting...

The business end of our reactor. AE net feeds processed yellorium and blutonium into the left chest, cyanite waste is pumped into the right chest for reprocessing. The computer is a temporary measure to automate the reactor while I get Something Fancy set up for...

These bigscreens. Plans include live graphs showing core temperature, power reserves and fuel levels, along with touch screen interfaces for manual/automatic controls.

Another angle of the room. The bottom floor is comprised of enderium blocks. It was originally openblocks tanks filled with liquid resonant ender until we realised how much that made the server cry (also some peasants were complaining of FPS lag)

Just another angle. I love carpenter's blocks and chisel, great mods for making stuff purty.

This is a big ol' steam turbine my buddy was trying to make viable as power generation, fed by steam from the reactor. It didn't work out but it looked too drat cool to scrap. It's also the floor of the hallway in the first picture.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
That is incredibly awesome looking. Great job!

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Pixotic posted:

My basemate and I shacked up in a massive ATG dormant volcano/mountain. Deep within it my buddy decided to build a honking big BigReactor. I got bored the other day and decided to gussy it up some.

Here's the entrance, hidden behind an advanced drawbridge blast door. Flip the lever and...

OH GOD. The faces of my buddy and me stare down upon you. Ever watchful. Always watching. Watching you. Waiting...

The business end of our reactor. AE net feeds processed yellorium and blutonium into the left chest, cyanite waste is pumped into the right chest for reprocessing. The computer is a temporary measure to automate the reactor while I get Something Fancy set up for...

These bigscreens. Plans include live graphs showing core temperature, power reserves and fuel levels, along with touch screen interfaces for manual/automatic controls.

Another angle of the room. The bottom floor is comprised of enderium blocks. It was originally openblocks tanks filled with liquid resonant ender until we realised how much that made the server cry (also some peasants were complaining of FPS lag)

Just another angle. I love carpenter's blocks and chisel, great mods for making stuff purty.

This is a big ol' steam turbine my buddy was trying to make viable as power generation, fed by steam from the reactor. It didn't work out but it looked too drat cool to scrap. It's also the floor of the hallway in the first picture.

This looks effing amazing! Had no idea you could use iron bars with carpenters blocks. I'll have to try that.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Bluemillion posted:

This looks effing amazing! Had no idea you could use iron bars with carpenters blocks. I'll have to try that.

You can use them with chisel too, there's some pretty nifty alterations.

Pixotic
Jan 14, 2008

He could be in this very room!
He could be
you!
He could be
me!
He could even b:commissar:

Bluemillion posted:

Yup! And whilst you can't paint chisel'd blocks you can put a chisel block onto a carpenter frame and then apply a dye. Not as much colour variety but should do nicely!

Anyhoo, I got bored so here's more screenshots. I've never really done aesthetic builds before, mostly just boring to look at, highly technical crap so the feedback is nice. FEED MY EGO.

When the server started up, I build an arcane study for thaumcraft/EE3 into the side of our mountain base, it was one of the first things I built!

I especially like the window, the view at night, particularly while snowing :3

This is how it usually looks to me with my thaum goggles on. Shiny! It recharges my Wand Of Ridiculously Long Naming in one sitting, which is nice.

After some, uh, :buddy: concerns :buddy: regarding the safety of my... experiments, I was banished to the nether whilst conducting my thaumic tinkering, so I started making a nether base!

I love the carpet here but I made the mistake of using the not-full-block chisel carpets so I can't protect them from flux goo during infusions - warding them fucks up Mr. Golem's pathfinding :smith: Every time something goes wrong during an infusion (read: every drat time now I'm at the end tier of Thaumic Tinkerer) the carpets get washed away. Frustration!

This is a semi automated essentia refilling system that I ripped off from Direwolf20, with the minor exception of I actually made his code work. I have a mana bean farm running on top of the mountain which feeds into the AE Net, which is then pushed to a regulated inventory (an ender chest). There's a turtle sitting underneath the arcane furnace which catalogues the inventory of the ender chest. The bigscreen lets you pick an essentia jar to refill, the turtle pulls the appropriate amount of beans and chuck's em into the furnace. When they're done cooking, the golem refills the appropriate jar. It's pretty neat!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Pixotic posted:

I love the carpet here but I made the mistake of using the not-full-block chisel carpets so I can't protect them from flux goo during infusions - warding them fucks up Mr. Golem's pathfinding :smith: Every time something goes wrong during an infusion (read: every drat time now I'm at the end tier of Thaumic Tinkerer) the carpets get washed away. Frustration!

The solution is MORE CRYSTALS. There's no upper limit on the stability bonus, and anything within 12 blocks of the matrix counts. Also 5 down and 10 up. Something to note is that crystals, skulls, candles, and probably nodes and nitor count towards this, and everything has to be symmetrical. If it's not symmetrical it's worse than not even being there. Also it doesn't care about what type of valid item it is- candles can be across from skulls or whatever.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Does there need to be line of sight, or can you just build a ton of crystals and heads and candles and junk under the floorboards?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I recently downloaded Never Stop Toasting Diet and I'm experiencing a weird thing where whenever I kill a mob for the first time, instead of the usual death animation, the mob turns black and gets absorbed into me. I assume this isn't a bug and is related to a mod, but which one?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Reveilled posted:

I recently downloaded Never Stop Toasting Diet and I'm experiencing a weird thing where whenever I kill a mob for the first time, instead of the usual death animation, the mob turns black and gets absorbed into me. I assume this isn't a bug and is related to a mod, but which one?

Morph.

Scorpion 3-2
Apr 2, 2011
That would be morph once you kill something you can morph into it by pressing [ or ]. Bat morph is the best by the way you can fly and you're only one block high perfect for laying down some cable under the floor.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Great thanks, when I killed a sheep not long after installing the modpack and it suddenly turned black and started moving toward me at speed I almost had a heart attack.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

MechaCrash posted:

Does there need to be line of sight, or can you just build a ton of crystals and heads and candles and junk under the floorboards?

You can just hide everything away and it will still stabilize or provide essence.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Reveilled posted:

Great thanks, when I killed a sheep not long after installing the modpack and it suddenly turned black and started moving toward me at speed I almost had a heart attack.

Oh good, I'm not the only one :shobon:

Regarding NST Diet as well, wasn't there supposed to be a way to make your equipped power armor invisible so people can see your skin while you gottagofast? I dont see anything like that in the tinker table, just full player camo or invis or whatever that is that takes holo emitters.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Ciaphas posted:

Regarding NST Diet as well, wasn't there supposed to be a way to make your equipped power armor invisible so people can see your skin while you gottagofast? I dont see anything like that in the tinker table, just full player camo or invis or whatever that is that takes holo emitters.

Like most mods that make this particular bad decision, MPS has a hotkey for that. IIRC it's "L."

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

For those of you playing NST Diet, is there a way to actually pump fluids? It comes with Mekanism, but as far as I can tell Mek's electric pumps just don't work. I can plant them above some fluids, charge them up, but they just sit there doing gently caress all saying "no fluid."

I know how they're supposed to work, since they worked fine on an older version on a different pack. It's possible something changed and I'm using the pumps wrong, but I can't find out how for the life of me.

Mutamu
Aug 10, 2011

He's Doctor, (pause), Doctor Shark!

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

For those of you playing NST Diet, is there a way to actually pump fluids? It comes with Mekanism, but as far as I can tell Mek's electric pumps just don't work. I can plant them above some fluids, charge them up, but they just sit there doing gently caress all saying "no fluid."

I know how they're supposed to work, since they worked fine on an older version on a different pack. It's possible something changed and I'm using the pumps wrong, but I can't find out how for the life of me.

Seems to work fine for me :shrug:

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Mutamu posted:

Seems to work fine for me :shrug:

You're right! I was able to get it to work for me with sewage like in your picture. I guess my problem is that it just won't pump lava for some reason.

e: And now it's pumping lava. I guess I just needed to restart, because all my pumps started pumping all of a sudden when I quit and restarted.

I found out what the actual problem was, in case anyone else (me in six months when I forget again) has the same problem: even though the pump can pump fluids far below the actual pump, it won't start pumping until there's a fluid in the square directly below it.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 7, 2014

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ciaphas posted:

I swear this game turns me into a nervous wreck now, it's like every death has taken its toll on my psyche to the point where I'm barely willing to go underground alone for any appreciable length of time before I get some serious gear to protect myself. Even walking over a thornbush or a tool breaking on me freaks me the gently caress out for a split second.

It feels silly to say but I've played a lot of horror games and watched a bunch of horror films and nothing in either group can do jump scares like minecraft, nor replicate the same feeling of utter dread that comes with the knowledge that a single mistake such as leaving the corner of a room unlit, or failing to notice a one block hole in the roof of a cavern could lead to your demise and a loss of a large investment of time and effort.

I think it's maybe because in any other game or film, all the scary poo poo is in the end happening to someone else; even if you're controlling Jill Valentine or Issac Clark, it's still someone else who is at risk of dying. In minecraft, all the bad poo poo is happening to you.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Not to mention, the game handles peaceful lulls very well so it's easy to get too relaxed, and danger can come out of nowhere. But I think one of the biggest factors in Minecraft's sense of 'scares' is that since there's no saving and loading, and since you've personally worked so hard for the resources you possess, every death has a serious impact you can't really just shrug off. You've got a really good reason to not want to die.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Reveilled posted:

I swear this game turns me into a nervous wreck now, it's like every death has taken its toll on my psyche to the point where I'm barely willing to go underground alone for any appreciable length of time before I get some serious gear to protect myself. Even walking over a thornbush or a tool breaking on me freaks me the gently caress out for a split second.

It feels silly to say but I've played a lot of horror games and watched a bunch of horror films and nothing in either group can do jump scares like minecraft, nor replicate the same feeling of utter dread that comes with the knowledge that a single mistake such as leaving the corner of a room unlit, or failing to notice a one block hole in the roof of a cavern could lead to your demise and a loss of a large investment of time and effort.

I think it's maybe because in any other game or film, all the scary poo poo is in the end happening to someone else; even if you're controlling Jill Valentine or Issac Clark, it's still someone else who is at risk of dying. In minecraft, all the bad poo poo is happening to you.

I would warn you against playing on endeavour then. I should probably be dead from the number of heart attacks I've almost had when people summon a wither somewhere on the server.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Reveilled posted:

This is why I won't play anything other than Peaceful in single player, and make my husband kit me out in full MPS before I venture underground at all in any LAN we decide to play. I tried to leave it on easy when I started my most recent save, NST Diet, but the first night I got swarmed by an unending wave of zombies so I turned em right back off again. I'm a wimp :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Pixotic posted:

[...]

This looks awesome. Are you using a modpack? I haven't tried any of this in over a year and I'm totally blind to what has changed. Toast seems like a pretty inclusive pack, and it has weaponmod, which I remember being cool.

Ed: I should clarify. What modpack do people tend to? The ones on the front page are all for older versions of Minecraft. I don't know if the norm is to use some cutting-edge current version stuff or to settle with tried and true older version mods.

The Mimic fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 8, 2014

• Locked thread