Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

will_colorado posted:

If you look at the oldest areas of many cities in the western US that are on a grid based layout, those streets are lined up slightly off due N/S/E/W, so that horses and carriage drivers would not have blinding sunrises and sunsets directly in their line of sight.

That's not the reason why, since that only happens a few days a year. They're off true directions mostly due to the fact it was hard to get your grid out precisely given the methods available at the time. It's easy to figure out close to true north (east/south/west), but getting it exactly is much harder.

And of course over time as the city expands, the ability to get correct orientations happens and additional stuff is properly aligned and noone really minds the slight bends coming out of the older misaligned streets. Some of them even go back and properly align many streets in the old developed areas if they get a good chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the point of that? Just so it looks more perfect on a map?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Baronjutter posted:

You're saying that like it's not important :colbert:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

Not that it makes much difference since the position of the sun at rise and set varies over the course of the year by quite a few degrees above and below directly E/W. Unless your grid is 45 degrees off, there's going to be two points in the year the sun's going to be going straight down it.

In case of Manhattan, this event is rather famous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattanhenge

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

You're divvying up parcels in almost entirely unsettled land, often before most of your buyers have even been out to it. A direction aligned grid makes it much easier to write the deed areas and all that. It's the simplest possible way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Install Windows posted:

You're divvying up parcels in almost entirely unsettled land, often before most of your buyers have even been out to it. A direction aligned grid makes it much easier to write the deed areas and all that. It's the simplest possible way.

Ah I thought road nerds were going into built-up areas and using eminent domain or something turn roads a couple degrees.

Speaking of hosed up surveying:

The bend in Blanshard here is apparently from some hosed up surveying where they measured from the wrong corners or from an edge rather than the centre-line.
http://goo.gl/maps/dO1to

And this entire little narrow park is also from a surveying mistake
http://goo.gl/maps/0A932

Also I have no idea why this exists but it's adorable.
http://goo.gl/maps/dG6LB

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Perfect grids are boring.

I get lost everytime I go downtown

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Check out this WAY RAD stuff I'm making. I think I've found the most intuitive way to distinguish between through and local traffic.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Install Windows posted:

That's not the reason why,

It is actually because the magnetic pole is not stationary. When the city was laid out the roads were pointing N-S on the compass but over the past 200 years they are now off by a bunch of degrees.

Here is Melbourne the grid was rotated to follow the river best, but the majority of roads outside of the CBD run N-S is 8 degrees clockwise off of true north.

quote:

The grid's longest axis is oriented 70 degrees clockwise from true north, to align better with the course of the Yarra River. The majority of Melbourne is oriented at 8 degrees clockwise from true north - noting that magnetic north was 8° 3' E in 1900, increasing to 11° 42' E in 2009.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoddle_Grid

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

drunkill posted:

It is actually because the magnetic pole is not stationary. When the city was laid out the roads were pointing N-S on the compass but over the past 200 years they are now off by a bunch of degrees.

Here is Melbourne the grid was rotated to follow the river best, but the majority of roads outside of the CBD run N-S is 8 degrees clockwise off of true north.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoddle_Grid

Most of the cities on that image intended to match the geographic north in the first place, and simply did not know the correct declination adjustments - but they're also nowhere near skewed enough to match what magnetic north would have been in the time they were laid out!

Melbourne is somewhat special in knowingly planning along the lines of what they knew to be magnetic north at the time.

Mountain Dew Code Bread
Mar 20, 2008

For Los Angeles at least, the oldest areas of the city were laid out at about 36 degrees clockwise of north based on old Spanish city planning ideals. The idea being that you wouldn't get huge gusts of wind blowing through the streets, because they thought at the time that wind only moved in cardinal directions.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How could they think that? It seems like something just looking at a flag or anything in the wind would very quickly disprove.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Install Windows posted:

Most of the cities on that image intended to match the geographic north in the first place, and simply did not know the correct declination adjustments - but they're also nowhere near skewed enough to match what magnetic north would have been in the time they were laid out!

Melbourne is somewhat special in knowingly planning along the lines of what they knew to be magnetic north at the time.
Yeah, it's sort of interesting how they've done it, since most of Melbourne streetplan is on a near-orthographic grid, however there are a significant number of arterial or riverside roads that divert from it. Adelaide's more or less like that too though the CBD's Colonel Light grid, as you might call it, keeps to the same alignment as the larger city.

Sydney and Brisbane look more chaotic, though, largely because of the geography around the waterways.

I'd be very interested to see road alignment graphs for those cities as well as Canberra.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
One thing I find amusing is that the two places you find rigid grid systems is ancient civilizations and places built post-1600 or so. From the Middle Ages up to the early modern era, cities and towns reverted to utterly ad-hoc crowded up systems. Even some place like boston was still relatively planned out, and its layout of core streets makes a lot sense when you remember:

(Old Boston is the landmass that actually existed at settlement time, New Boston is all the land that was built by leveling hills to fill in the watery areas)

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Downtown Portland is bisected on the east-west axis by Burnside street. Might be vaguely apocryphal, but to the south of Burnside, the north-south street axis is aligned to true north, and to the north, the north-south street axis is aligned to magnetic north.

Results in some fun intersections.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Obviously the more intersection density the better, but a perfect grid can be pretty boring. You can still have a grid and introduce all sorts of little curves and angles. Although the key thing to a good road plan is just to have a lot of intersections and a lot of fairly equal routes between any two points. The worst of all worlds is a widely spaced perfect grid of arterials with a labyrinth of dead-end streets in the middle.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Grids are loving soulless and boring though :)

Although I guess they do make the inner cores easier to manage.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Install Windows posted:

One thing I find amusing is that the two places you find rigid grid systems is ancient civilizations and places built post-1600 or so. From the Middle Ages up to the early modern era, cities and towns reverted to utterly ad-hoc crowded up systems. Even some place like boston was still relatively planned out, and its layout of core streets makes a lot sense when you remember:

(Old Boston is the landmass that actually existed at settlement time, New Boston is all the land that was built by leveling hills to fill in the watery areas)

I want to say this has something to do with the development of walled cities throughout Europe during the transition from late-antiquity to the early-middle ages. At least for european civs, it stems from the change in Roman defensive postures in the 2nd through 4th centuries.

And then European cities just didn't grow out as the western roman empire continued to give way but they'd still grow within the already established walls.

But once centralized states start becoming a thing again in Europe post-1600s, you get urban growth beyond old medieval borders.
[/history chat]

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 2, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cichlidae posted:

Check out this WAY RAD stuff I'm making. I think I've found the most intuitive way to distinguish between through and local traffic.

I'm curious why there's such a mismatch in size between inbound and outbound traffic. Is this for the entire day, or just a particular time of day?

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
The "AM peak" note makes me think that's morning rush hour.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thwomp posted:

I want to say this has something to do with the development of walled cities throughout Europe during the transition from late-antiquity to the early-middle ages.
I know that the "ring roads" in a lot of European cities are the result of tearing down the old city walls and putting roads there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I saw some of those road orientation graphs for some European cities and theyw ere basically a perfect circle.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Volmarias posted:

I'm curious why there's such a mismatch in size between inbound and outbound traffic. Is this for the entire day, or just a particular time of day?

Just the morning. The afternoon will likely reverse that trend. Of course, my boss wants me to split this into two separate diagrams, so then I'll need 8 instead of the 4 I was planning...

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Phoenix's street grid oddity:

When expanding northward, the city hired a surveyor from california, who forgot to adjust for the difference in magnetic north offset from where he was from, and by the time they realized it, it would have been too expensive to fix it.

So they added a curve.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Calgary has something similar. The original downtown is skewed slightly, because it's aligned with the railroad. However 4th Street and 17th Avenue are a range road and township road respectively, so they're properly aligned with the grid even through downtown. The rest of the city - where the grid exists - is aligned properly with the cardinal directions.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Blue Moonlight posted:

Downtown Portland is bisected on the east-west axis by Burnside street. Might be vaguely apocryphal, but to the south of Burnside, the north-south street axis is aligned to true north, and to the north, the north-south street axis is aligned to magnetic north.

Results in some fun intersections.

Downtown south of Burnside is based on the course of the Willamette, yo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cichlidae posted:

Just the morning. The afternoon will likely reverse that trend. Of course, my boss wants me to split this into two separate diagrams, so then I'll need 8 instead of the 4 I was planning...

Gatac posted:

The "AM peak" note makes me think that's morning rush hour.

:cripes::coffee:

Yes, that's a good reason. Thanks.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Thwomp posted:

And then European cities just didn't grow out as the western roman empire continued to give way but they'd still grow within the already established walls.

But once centralized states start becoming a thing again in Europe post-1600s, you get urban growth beyond old medieval borders.
[/history chat]

It depends on what country you're talking about.

Here in the Netherlands fortifications centered on cities were mostly feature-complete by the end of the 17th century. Then, with our relative economic decline, demographic stability, and late industrialisation, large-scale urban expansion only kicked off in the late 19th century. \

I live in one of the first planned 'suburbs' outside Groningen's old star fortress setup:

These days, only the northwestern parts of those fortifications still remain (as a park): https://www.google.com/maps/place/Groningen/@53.2179664,6.5662111,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x47c83286b462cca7:0xcb4b5086f9a6c8dc

Koesj fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 5, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The Washington Post's Wonkblog had an article this weekend about Chicago's transit system and the pie-in-the-sky plan to revamp it from the hub and spoke model to something more flexible.

Here are the relevant maps. Chicago's current subway/'El' lines:

And the proposed extensions and crosslines:

To be combined with new bus lines with ROW, coordinated lights, and other bus improvements:

I guess if you are going to dream, might as well go big. As an area resident, it would be amazing to hop on one line and not have to go all the way downtown to transfer. But this is Chicago we're talking about. It'll take 5 times as long and twice the cost in bribes/kickbacks alone to make it happen. The article goes into a bit more about how it's possible for it to actually happen if circumstances fall into the right places.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thwomp posted:

But this is Chicago we're talking about. It'll take 5 times as long and twice the cost in bribes/kickbacks alone to make it happen.

At least it's not Boston, where it'd take 10 times as long and 5 times the cost in bribes and kickbacks. :v:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Did someone already post the Norwegian Silly Walk crossing sign?
I couldn't find it so here goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By95MlAGTjE

At least the mayor approves!

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 8, 2014

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Thwomp posted:

Nothing like taking the Blue Line all the way from Schaumburg to the Loop...

Extending rapid transit lines out into the suburbs just makes travel longer for everyone. More advanced commuter rail (also connecting to the airport, which the Blue Line extension to Schaumburg covers) would be much better. If we're going for pie-in-the-sky, we might as well go all the way.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think the idea is that people would be using the Blue Line to get to the airport, not to get to the Loop.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

FISHMANPET posted:

I think the idea is that people would be using the Blue Line to get to the airport, not to get to the Loop.

Still not as good as a high-frequency suburban heavy rail service that stops at Schaumburg and O'Hare on the way to the Loop. I'm just thinking of fitness for purpose.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Having taken the Blue Line from O'hare to The Loop, I would have gladly paid two or three times as much as my CTA fare for a Metra trip to the loop rather than being cramped on a rush hour Blue Line train with luggage.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Having taken the Blue Line from O'hare to The Loop, I would have gladly paid two or three times as much as my CTA fare for a Metra trip to the loop rather than being cramped on a rush hour Blue Line train with luggage.
There was a proposal for an express train from ORD and MDW into a 'Superstation' in the loop; they gutted the old Washington Station connector. When Chicago lost their bid for the 2016 Olympics they pretty much cancelled the whole plan.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kakairo posted:

Extending rapid transit lines out into the suburbs just makes travel longer for everyone.

I don't see how, unless we're also assuming no attempt will be made to purchase more rolling stock.

EtaBetaPi
Aug 11, 2008

Install Windows posted:

I don't see how, unless we're also assuming no attempt will be made to purchase more rolling stock.

Unless there's a lot of short-turning you have trains stuck out in the boonies where they aren't needed while the interior portions of the line are underserved. The suburbs don't need the headway that the central core does - this is a problem in boston with the green line and a reason why it's so messed up

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EtaBetaPi posted:

Unless there's a lot of short-turning you have trains stuck out in the boonies where they aren't needed while the interior portions of the line are underserved. The suburbs don't need the headway that the central core does - this is a problem in boston with the green line and a reason why it's so messed up

Most modern transit systems use shorter services on the same line supplementing long line services, this was solved in like 1915.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Thwomp posted:

I suppose it should also be mentioned that the north-south planned blue line is underway, though as BRT and a bit to the right than shown on the map.

Also want to say Im suprised that they didnt include the Circle line, that things been in the plans since what? The 60s? It would connect the northern corner of the Red line with the Pink line and continue down to the Orange line before returning downtown.