Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

SquadronROE posted:

You're confusing best ship with worst ship again. The Defender in XvT could fire all the guns at once, it was that amazing.
You don't even need lasers/ions when you can just spam advanced missiles all live long day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

SquadronROE posted:

You're confusing best ship with worst ship again. The Defender in XvT could fire all the guns at once, it was that amazing.

Not as amazing as slamming on the w key as fast as possible to short circuit the laser cooldown. Sure, you drained your weapon power in under a second, but the thing you were shooting at was extremely dead.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
You know, guys, we're just arguing over the wrong things. Missile butt is kind of cool, TIE Defender is kind of cool, but we should all be angry at FFG for not giving us the TIE Experimentals.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

You know, guys, we're just arguing over the wrong things. Missile butt is kind of cool, TIE Defender is kind of cool, but we should all be angry at FFG for not giving us the TIE Experimentals.

Star Wars has some stupid looking ships.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Im still very surprised wave 4 wasn't the ships of the bounty hunters on the executor. I think they may end up making them the first ships that can be on either side.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't give us a YT-2400. Maybe the YT-1300 is just good enough right now.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

alg posted:

I'm kinda surprised they didn't give us a YT-2400. Maybe the YT-1300 is just good enough right now.

No question they will do a YT-2400 but I have no idea how they will do it. Really they made the YT-1300 dial way more maneuverable than it should have been and the YT-2400 should be more agile than the 1300. 2400 would have less hull and shields but I would be surprised if they gave it 360 degree arc. It would make it to similar.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Are there any other rebel-affiliated bounty hunters/smugglers besides Dash and Han? I seem to remember them being more Imperial oriented like IG88, the lizard guy, and guy with head bandages. I can only think of Mara Jade but I guess that's enough for a bounty hunter expansion for both sides. Maybe Leia as Boussh could be included. :D

Really, anything that can mix it up so you don't have double falcons would be grand.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

What, you don't have access to wire cutters and glue?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SquadronROE posted:

They should sell TIE-Bombs 2 to a blister, having suicide ships would change up the meta quite a bit.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Everyone seems down on the HWK-290 so they should probably give us the Raven's Claw at some point as an apology.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Everyone seems down on the HWK-290 so they should probably give us the Raven's Claw Ebon Hawkat some point as an apology.

:colbert:

Then we'd get crew members Revan and HK-47.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
For fun this weekend I think I'm going to go
Boba Fett w/
Deadeye, RecSpec, Assault Missles, Adv. Protons

What should I do with the other 46 points? Not quite enough for 4 TIEs.
Assume I have everything in enough quantity.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.

KO Derf posted:

Boba Fett w/

That's more points than I'd prefer to spend on a Firespray, but maybe bring Captain Jonus on board for 22 to help with all of those secondary weapon rerolls and then spend the 24 remaining on a couple of Academy Pilots to jam things up?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
I'd drop Boba to Kath, and Assault Missiles to Concussions or something, and get the 4 TIEs.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Team Covenant will be streaming a 1k Point match at 4 EST today. Link to the stream here and an explanation for wtf they are doing here.

Let's hope it's not loving terrible!

EDIT: Fixed the time, timezones are hard.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 4, 2014

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I hope one of the sides is 83 Academy Pilots.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

KO Derf posted:

Boba Fett w/

I tried a similar list a few times and found getting range 1 for the APT to be really difficult with competent opponents.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

zVxTeflon posted:

I tried a similar list a few times and found getting range 1 for the APT to be really difficult with competent opponents.
I'm just tired of running Krassis with HLC and figured I'd give Boba a try. He just seems so damned worthless every time I see him across the table (Always Fettigator variants). With this setup I feel like he might actually attract some attention.
What do you guys think about BH and an obsidian? Or twin Royals VI?

As for Jonus, I'm not sure I want to spend another 22 points to make sure Boba does damage. I'm already WAY over the amount I ever want to devote to a single ship.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Poopy Palpy posted:

I hope one of the sides is 83 Academy Pilots.

It's going to be all Falcons.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Yeah, my real advice would be to just not spend so many points on Fett in the first place, heh. I really am not a huge fan of Firesprays unless you can keep them cheap. Bounty Hunter + Gunner is my favorite combo at a cool 38 points.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Yeah, as much as it hurts to say, Fett's not very good. Firespray's are already very forgiving to fly and dont need his ability. Krassis with HLC or BH's with whatever are the only firesprays I play.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Kath with rebel captive owns though.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

just from looks, I count

Rebs:
1 YT-1300
5 X-Wings
2 HWKS
2 A-Wings
3 Y-Wings
1 B-Wing.

Imps:
2x Firespray
2 Shuttles
5 TIE
3 Interceptors
2 Bombers
2 Adv

One of the 100pt Squads is just the YT and 1 Y-Wing. :laffo:

Carteret fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 4, 2014

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

Kath with rebel captive owns though.

What do you usually run alongside this? I haven't tried Kath out before, but maybe something like:

[41] Kath Scarlett + Rebel Captive
[33] Soontir Fel + Push the Limit + Stealth Device
[26] Turr Phennir + Veteran Instincts

I'm always nervous about running only three ships, but Soontir and Turr are pretty survivable so maybe it would work? I'd be worried about Falcons though...

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4734

Gonna be sweet to have a capital ship to play with!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

smashthedean posted:

What do you usually run alongside this? I haven't tried Kath out before, but maybe something like:

[41] Kath Scarlett + Rebel Captive
[33] Soontir Fel + Push the Limit + Stealth Device
[26] Turr Phennir + Veteran Instincts

I'm always nervous about running only three ships, but Soontir and Turr are pretty survivable so maybe it would work? I'd be worried about Falcons though...

Kath - Expert Handling - Rebel Captive
Bounty Hunter
Saber - PTL

or

Kath - EH - Reb Cap
Soontir - PTL- stealth
Royal Guard - PTL

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

Kath - Expert Handling - Rebel Captive
Bounty Hunter
Saber - PTL

or

Kath - EH - Reb Cap
Soontir - PTL- stealth
Royal Guard - PTL

That second list is 1 point over, but would work with a Saber instead of a Royal Guard. I might give it a shot.

Otterspace
Jul 13, 2006

This is not a good idea.
I have my first quasi-game report. I introduced a few new players to X-Wing at my local hole-in-the-wall comic store on Saturday which was apparently national boardgame day. Everyone had a lot of fun, and they picked up the game really quickly. It helped that I practiced explaining the rules for a few nights too. We ran an X and B-Wing against a TIE F and TIE B. In the end, it was a shieldless B-Wing against a battered TIE B and the B-Wing made a great roll that the TIE just couldn't handle. If it taught me anything, millimeters do count in this game, and teaching the players to move correctly without bumping stuff around was paramount.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If you want to learn to move better, throw down a 'roid field using some paper to make sure there are a good 20 of them or so, and place targets in the field. Move your exact list around with the goals of hitting no asteroids and getting at least one shot per model every two movements. It'll help a ton.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend good plastic movement templates? I'm probably going to lose the cardboard ones at some point, and I want some semi-transparent plastic ones, but buying stuff sight-unseen over the internet makes me nervous.

Also, I'm thinking about using different colored dice for focus/evade/stress actions. The tokens get annoying, but I can easily toss out a blue die for focus, green for evade, or red for stress. Just looking for some things to make my stuff unique, because poo poo gets weird with dozens of the same stuff thrown around the table. I've already scooped up some of my friend's movement templates by accident.

People also regularly return dice they accidentally swiped, but there's no way around that since they're unique to the game. It really sucks that Fantasy Flight only included three of each in the starter set, because you need four very often.

Otterspace
Jul 13, 2006

This is not a good idea.
So far I've seen the best movement sets at Team Covenant. Theirs includes the range ruler which many do not. But I don't understand what you mean by rolling dice for focus, evade, or stress. The only thing you roll dice for is attacking and defending. Also you can get another pack of 6 dice from miniature market for something like $5 plus shipping.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Otterspace posted:

So far I've seen the best movement sets at Team Covenant. Theirs includes the range ruler which many do not. But I don't understand what you mean by rolling dice for focus, evade, or stress. The only thing you roll dice for is attacking and defending. Also you can get another pack of 6 dice from miniature market for something like $5 plus shipping.

Oh not rolling them, just placing them. They don't have to be dice, they could be different colored beads or whatever. I hate the little cardboard tokens.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Oh not rolling them, just placing them. They don't have to be dice, they could be different colored beads or whatever. I hate the little cardboard tokens.

You can buy acrylic tokens! :v:

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
I have templates and range rulers from Applied Perspectives and am very happy with them. I got range 1 and 2 rulers as well, which are extremely handy.

As for substitute markers for actions, keep in mind if you ever play a tournament, I'd imagine most opponents would not be ok with a color coded system like that. I know I want to be able to tell at a glance what a ship has on it, not have to memorize your system. Applied Perspectives also makes some really nice acrylic tokens if you just want something nicer. I use his target locks, and some official FFG focus tokens I won at regionals last year.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
While sectioning off a dinner table for teaching somebody the quick rules last night, I made the realization that the measuring stick is not quite a foot.

Fantasy Flight :argh:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Indeed: It's exactly thirty centimeters. It's the rational unit. :colbert:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Siivola posted:

Indeed: It's exactly thirty centimeters. It's the rational unit. :colbert:

The foot is a rational unit. It's 30.48 cm, exactly. 762/25 is a proper ratio.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
One personal pet peeve of mine with X-Wing's tokens, every single token type has a different shape.. target lock markers have that X shape, ion tokens have the little pointy flanges, stress tokens are triangular.. except for evade and focus tokens, those are both round. Maybe it's my OCD at play but I like being able to just grab them by feel from the pile. Least they could've made them two-sided so there's the focus eye on one side and the evade arrow on the other!

Edit: The foot can go suck on bad eggs, the imperial system killed a $125 million Mars orbiter afterall :p

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I don't care if they used metric, standard, or hogs heads but if you're going to make your play area x units by x units, it's a cruel joke to make your measuring stick .99999 of x units.

• Locked thread