Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Obscil posted:

It seems the wiki already has a little bit on how the pendulum summoning gimmick in ARC-V works.
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Pendulum_Summon

Basically, you have two pendulum zones, a left and a right. Pendulum monsters have a value for both zones. If you have monsters in both pendulum zones, you can special summon any number of monsters from your hand that have their level between but not equal to the pendulum values. You can also summon pendulum monsters from your extra deck this way. Pendulum monsters also have a pendulum effect that happens when their in the pendulum zone.

Honestly, it sounds really broken. Although, that seems to be a common trend in yugioh.

They're good as they are right now but nothing special. I would say they're on par with other otk based decks like lightsworns, mermails and hieratics. Right now all pendulum monsters except Odd-Eyes are kinda poo poo and both of the magicians are effectively unsearchable without odd-eyes. One errant MST can delay your pendulum summon for what feels like an eternity. Not to mention that Solemn Warning and Bottomless will destroy every single monster summoned in one swoop. Currently I know 3 deecks that work really well with the mechanic. First off is scraps, second off is Dark Magician of Illusions and third surprisingly is Raiza the Megamonarch. Since pendulum monsters currently on devpro (not sure if this follows the official ruling) go back to the extra deck when tributed you can abuse "Precious Cards From Beyond" to draw for days.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Precious_Cards_from_Beyond :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Ok I just saw Arc-V's first episode and I gotta say, I have a blast. Yuya's a great protagonist than on the two duels he has shows he's having the time of his life (a most welcome change after Yuma's dorkiness and Yusei's brooding) in a way, Yuma felts like a mix of Joey's personality with Jack's showmbiz persona and even more rare, Yuya's mom seems to be a recurring character.

The gimmick and the setting certainly brings 5D's to mind with a dash of Kingdom Hearts' gameplay and oddly enough for the franchise, for the first time the Protagonist's Ace monster is a Dragon.

Really pleased with this.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

for the first time the Protagonist's Ace monster is a Dragon.

Stardust Dragon cries in a corner, alone and unloved.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TheKingofSprings posted:

Stardust Dragon cries in a corner, alone and unloved.

In my defense, at first the Ace was Junk Warrior :v:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

In my defense, at first the Ace was Junk Warrior :v:

And to play Devil's Advocate, sure, while Stardust is his Signer Ace, and the one that did help him save the world, in the end, the final FINAL duel of 5Ds ended not with Stardust attacking Red Dragon Archfiend, but with Junk Warrior with a combo using his low level cards. :v:

But yeah, Yusei kinda had Dual Aces in Junk Warrior and Stardust Dragon, so it's a fringe case until Junk Warrior completely got demoted somewhere around the Dark Signer arc.

Also, I too just saw Arc-V, and do hope that subs actually come out for it at a regular pace because that was just fun. Hopefully, the whole Action Duel aspect doesn't just get thrown out the window once the "plot" shows up (because you know Yuya's dad disappeared for a Totally Serious reason tied to the Pendulum Yuya's got or something like that), but hopefully it'll still be entertaining.

And on a related note, thanks to Stardust Crusaders being Simulcast on Crunchyroll (gently caress yeah, more Jojo), I finally signed up for a subscription, and actually have been watching Vanguard from the start. Just got to the start of the Regional Finals. Also actually considering grabbing a Trial Deck to play one specific Faction. Dimension Police. Gotta get me that Totally Not GaoGaiGar Deck. :v:

I mean, a faction that's essentially the Gutsy Geoid Guard? SIGN ME UP...but not for anything beyond the Trial Deck and occasional casual play. I'm already playing HeroClix and Universal Fighting System (a pretty good card game), so I can't justify a THIRD full time game after all.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Ok I just saw Arc-V's first episode and I gotta say, I have a blast. Yuya's a great protagonist than on the two duels he has shows he's having the time of his life (a most welcome change after Yuma's dorkiness and Yusei's brooding) in a way, Yuma felts like a mix of Joey's personality with Jack's showmbiz persona and even more rare, Yuya's mom seems to be a recurring character.

The gimmick and the setting certainly brings 5D's to mind with a dash of Kingdom Hearts' gameplay and oddly enough for the franchise, for the first time the Protagonist's Ace monster is a Dragon.

Really pleased with this.

Yeah, while Yusei had some cool moments, his character could be a bit... cold-blooded (as in, not hot-blooded). If we get Jack + the announcer in one character that could lead to some bombastic scenes. The gimmick definitely looks like it could facilitate some cool duels, but I'm curious how the action cards work. Are characters just going to find them laying around when they're needed? That sounds a bit Deus Ex Machina to me!

Also, I like neither the OP nor the ED. Bring back the butt rock, please! ~~I don't wanna be a sleeeeve~~

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
And there's actually a girl doing poo poo in like the second episode. Did they learn something from Zexal?

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 7, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And now, we got Kuribandit :stare:

https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=6056

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't even play YGO anymore and this is becoming my new favourite thing just because of how many cards we're getting that were never released before and I never thought would be actually released. It's so great.

Sure, no one works even remotely like they did in the anime, but this is normal for this series. It's still some great fanservice.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=6064
https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=6070

Konami really is pulling out all the stops with Dragons of Legend :stare:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mathematician. Great. More indirect Lightsworn support. Just what this game needed. :argh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pretty sure the ice & fire hand are getting released solely for that terrible Game of Thrones pun. :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=6080

:psyboom:

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

You really think someone would do that?
Just go on the internet and tell lies?

It's so...
Depressing. Like they had this string of good cards, good support, and then all of a sudden, this happens.

Mathmagician is a one card BRD, The fire and ice hand are plussy as hell, prominence hand helps keep the other hands as R4 bait, and then we get this.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lisandra_brave posted:

It's so...
Depressing. Like they had this string of good cards, good support, and then all of a sudden, this happens.

Mathmagician is a one card BRD, The fire and ice hand are plussy as hell, prominence hand helps keep the other hands as R4 bait, and then we get this.

If Kuribandit was valid for the condition I could kinda see a deck built around it working but of course it's only the winged kuriboh cards that are valid. At least new e-hero support brings hope that Stratos might yet make a return.

Really starting to fear for how Guardian Dreadscythe will turn out. :ohdear:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Thing is, Dragons of Legend is at its core a fanservice pack geared to allow the player to build decks similars to those seen on the series, with that in mind, the philosopher ston is fantastic to build a Jaden deck since it does exactly what it was showed on the anime while keeping the whole idea competitive.

It a shame the Winged Kuriboh restriction but it was a necessary evil, lest fusion reliant decks started abusing the hell out of this card (like the Gem-Knights) and all things considered isn't that bad with a little creativity you can made it a good tech.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sometimes I feel like the only one still watching Future Card Buddyfight, which is sad because I'm only watching it for how terrible it is. Seriously, this most recent episode is so awful in terms of just throwing in random characterization that wasn't there before and expecting us to just accept that the characters are acting completely differently than normal. Also the ufo girl's eyes kept changing distance from one another. This show is just so awful and the rules the show is trying to abide by feel like they're degrading from episode to episode, with one of the recent episodes having a character make up a card on the spot to use in a fight.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If there's anyone here who's doubting whether to watch Vanguard or not,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEA1HEw8uFo

The answer is yes. For context, this comes from the worst part of the series (admittedly, it is not in any way representative of Asia Circuit as a whole, this is just the light in the darkness of that arc). This is the video that made me think "man, I need to watch this Vanguard thing", and I do not regret it at all. Sadly Mitsusada is not a main character, but I would watch the hell out of a spinoff focused entirely on him.

C'mon Bushiroad, do it. Mitsusada spinoff, Dimensional Robo Vanguard. Everyone would watch it!

In other Vanguard related news, is it bad that I felt really happy Kai got his rear end kicked this week? I really enjoy when he loses, considering his insane win-loss record for this series. I mean, burning him to unconciousness was probably a bit too much, but still! Gaillard is cool, I want to learn more about him and why he thinks of himself as Aichi's successor.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Even better, that deck just came out in America. I bought 2 to get 4 Daiyushas and 2 Daikaisers. Just need either a Great or a Reverse to finish the deck.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I wouldn't do that. You're trying to do too much, so the deck's going to fall apart. Pick if you want to be swinging with Great Daiyusha or Daiyusha Reverse, and then decide if you want to get Daikaiser's break ride effect or the 13k base defense from having Daiyusha in the soul.

Alternately, go all in with the Crazy Diamond build, which basically uses the first few bits of the Enigman ride chain and then loads the deck up with a crapload of grade 3s. The Enigman chain is to help make it more likely you can ride to grade 2 (since if you ride the G1, you can just search for the G2); then you try to ride Daikaiser, get to Limit Break, and then break ride and attack. You load the deck with G3s to help ensure the "if you check a G3, blow away a guard" thing goes off. But that's only if you feel like gambling on that going off, but it's pretty funny when it does.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

According to the second episode, Arc-V takes place in Miami. :psyduck:

Hopefully this goes better than the last time Yugioh was in Florida.

Or as it's called in Japan, Arkansas.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

MechaCrash posted:

Alternately, go all in with the Crazy Diamond build, which basically uses the first few bits of the Enigman ride chain and then loads the deck up with a crapload of grade 3s. The Enigman chain is to help make it more likely you can ride to grade 2 (since if you ride the G1, you can just search for the G2); then you try to ride Daikaiser, get to Limit Break, and then break ride and attack. You load the deck with G3s to help ensure the "if you check a G3, blow away a guard" thing goes off. But that's only if you feel like gambling on that going off, but it's pretty funny when it does.

The Morikawa build, huh?

My plan's ideally "get a Daiyusha out on turn 2, ride Daikaiser turn 3 and Great/Reverse turn 4" for the best of both worlds, but beyond that the people I play with aren't really tourney players (except one and he'd kick my rear end regardless), so I don't need a solid build to have fun.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

A friend of mine tried doing exactly that. It didn't work out so hot because of reliability issues.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kay Kessler posted:

According to the second episode, Arc-V takes place in Miami. :psyduck:

Hopefully this goes better than the last time Yugioh was in Florida.

Or as it's called in Japan, Arkansas.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

I love how this comic gets brought up every time someone brings up a L.A., Japan/Tokyo,USA situation in any thread.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=6084

Suddenly I don't mind not having Monster Reborn anymore. What the hell, Konami.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wow. I don't play YGO anymore and all of these changes since 5D's confuse the hell out of me, despite watching every single anime, and even I get how good that kind of effect is. I'm surprised it has no other clauses, like "their effects are negated" or "they are destroyed at the end of your turn".

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah, it's...kind of insane. I can already think of a ton of decks that can abuse it.

...oh gods, it's more loving indirect Lightsworn support. Just what we needed. :argh:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And guess what? We aren't finished for today!

https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=6092

:stonklol:

Dragons of Legend is utterly insane.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Wow. I don't play YGO anymore and all of these changes since 5D's confuse the hell out of me, despite watching every single anime, and even I get how good that kind of effect is. I'm surprised it has no other clauses, like "their effects are negated" or "they are destroyed at the end of your turn".

"They are destroyed at the end of your turn" hasn't been a drawback with any meaning for quite a while now. :v: Even if your hand is empty you can tune or XYZ with the monsters before you reach the end of your turn. The real drawback of this specific card is the LP cost being so high while you're forced to skip your battle phase. You can't otk with it unless you're doing some obscure rank 10 build and you're leaving yourself pretty vulnerable when your opponents turn comes around. Excition Knight, Dark Hole, Bottomless, Torrential Tribute and Solemn Warning are all still things too.

You're right though, this card would have been insane if released during the 5Ds era or earlier.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

oh my god :psyboom:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

:wtc:
It's good to know Konami still doesn't know what balance is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is that 'activate by discarding 5 cards' how they template costs nowadays?

If not is this as stupid as I think it is with Dark World?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

It's a cost so Dark Worlds won't get their effects.

Fableds will though!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh well, didn't take long for someone to come up with a way irredeemably break Soul Charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBO3BqevZ8s

2-card Quasar, at no loss in card advantage. :shepicide:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

The only way they can top themselves now is if they print Card of Demise.

... They're gonna print Card of Demise, aren't they? :shepface:

Regardless, I'm holding out for the curry cards from GX to make an appearance.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kay Kessler posted:

The only way they can top themselves now is if they print Card of Demise.

... They're gonna print Card of Demise, aren't they? :shepface:

Not in this set but since the set is called Dragons of Legend and it only released Timaeus, I think is factible this will be an annual thing like Hidden Arsenal and we'll get Card of Demise along Critias on the Kaiba pack :shepface:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Crow is stupid and the worst part of 5D's. Blackwings are dumb and so is his Signer Dragon.

https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=6095

Dammit, Konami. This is not cool.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I am too scared to walk into this whole new world of meta-gaming. :cry:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dexie posted:

Crow is stupid and the worst part of 5D's. Blackwings are dumb and so is his Signer Dragon.

https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=6095

Dammit, Konami. This is not cool.

gently caress :suicide:

I'm really surprised that this things aren't getting an emergency limitation or something they're loving insane, or maybe Konami's trollin and they won't be legal to play? :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I think the logic here is 'most of the set is broken, and most of it is generic support, so let's watch and see what happens before we mess with things'.

As far as Soul Charge goes, I'm actually getting excited about using it. It counters the current popular Hobaning strategy, and anything that weakens Hobaning is perfectly fine in my book.

• Locked thread