Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I have one question about cleaning water. I make a nice little room, smooth the walls, put a pump at the entrance and pump it into the cleaned room.

Yet, the water still always becomes dirty. How does that work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

I have one question about cleaning water. I make a nice little room, smooth the walls, put a pump at the entrance and pump it into the cleaned room.

I think the floor and walls need to be constructed, not natural in any way.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

chiefnewo posted:

Because at the end of the day his insane vision and dedication to his dream game is why Dwarf Fortress exists in the first place. Sometimes you've gotta take the good with the bad.

Counterpoint: the same features that make a game easier to mod also make it easier to develop and debug. Time spent implementing official mod support could pay off in faster core development, too.

I don't think it's a "no-one must touch MY VISION" thing, otherwise the raws wouldn't exist in any accessible form at all. I think it's just that Toady is a great (albeit insane) designer but a terrible programmer.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

Just make it deeper. As long as the well is at least 2 z-levels deep (so you're not collecting water from the tile touching the ground) you won't have any problems with dust/mud in your water.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

RAWS ALL OVER YO FACE SKEET SKEET SKEET

Toady One posted:

I'm still missing a few variables, and everything continues to be subject to change, but these trees seem mostly done. I also updated the other files.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
So I got two swordsmasters who are infected. I have soap and a 2 tile deep well with clean water. They've been infected for quite a while now. What do?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Do they look like they're on the brink of death? If not, you shouldn't have to worry. It's not rare to have people waltzing around without a worry in the world while their old, treated wounds are oozing pus everywhere.

I have no loving idea what infections do to a system, honestly.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
They're still training and moving about fine, so I guess it's no biggie. They've been infected for at least a year. Wish they'd wash the crap off though. But my dwarves don't seem to be huge on hygiene given how much blood has been all over the entire entrance forever.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Makaris posted:

So I got two swordsmasters who are infected. I have soap and a 2 tile deep well with clean water. They've been infected for quite a while now. What do?

Do you have a hospital and a chief medical dwarf?

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Do you have a hospital and a chief medical dwarf?

Oh yeah, a whole medical team, hospital with tables, traction, beds, bags with everything and a well with clean water. I'll try deactivating the squad; maybe they've been too busy training nonstop.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They won't go to the hospital just for an infection (I'm fairly sure), but it might heal on its own eventually. There's also a decent chance it will kill them.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 7, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

If your dwarves are infected, there is nothing you can do anymore but pray they heal on their own. Cleaning with soap only PREVENTS infections.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
And if they did go to the hospital they would probably die anyways when the doctor botches the operation. The best dwarven medication is simply drinking enough to forget you got hurt in the first place.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I have a Masterwork Warlock fort that seems to make the game crash when a certain amount of time has passed, I have no idea what specifically is causing the crash but it happens a little while after I load. Is there anything I can do to diagnose what's making it crash? I'd really like to hold onto this embark because it has 8500 bluemetal.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It may be your migrants, there is something that happens when migrants comes in that DF just doesn't like and crashes the game. I don't know why it happens, and you either have to just keep reloading and hoping your migrant wave comes in without crashing, which after that point you're golden.

If this is happening past your first year I don't know what it could be.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm in like year 4 now and I'm not getting waves of migrants any more (Warlock). I have a vague hunch that a miner is breaking open something like warpstone and getting a syndrome that blows up when laid on skeletons, I'm gonna just save closer to whatever is making it fault and see if I can catch it I guess.

e: seems to have been a flaky ambush, which loaded successfully and assfucked all my units but at least I'm past it

or maybe it wasn't, oh well :smith:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 8, 2014

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It's been so long since this development cycle started, I still can't believe that he actually made it so the world is alive after generation, I was expecting that to take another decade or so. Being able to retire forts without abandoning them is also another nice surprise.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm in like year 4 now and I'm not getting waves of migrants any more (Warlock).

Warlock civs are coded to die out so odds are the two hard coded waves of migrants are all you are going to get.

http://youtu.be/J4nM-F1kxs8?t=6s

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I don't understand what "coded to die out" means. Like, during worldgen they die out? If so how do you have some? Or do they die out somehow after the game starts?

I mean, I know that you're not really supposed to get migrants as Warlocks but is it a guaranteed thing that always happens because of a DFHack script or are they just really likely to be gone by the time the game starts except for your little wagon of skeletons?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's not quite that, the civ keeps going (I've reclaimed this fort 3 or 4 times now) but you just don't get any more waves of migrants after the first couple. If you want more units (and you do) then you have to make them on site.

That crash problem I'm having seems to be caused by ambush/sieges, which really sucks.

e: I should note I've had this problem with vanilla DF in the past too so I suspect it's lack of sanity checking on Toady's part.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 9, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You know what, vampires can gently caress off and die.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Gilok posted:

I don't understand what "coded to die out" means. Like, during worldgen they die out? If so how do you have some? Or do they die out somehow after the game starts?

I mean, I know that you're not really supposed to get migrants as Warlocks but is it a guaranteed thing that always happens because of a DFHack script or are they just really likely to be gone by the time the game starts except for your little wagon of skeletons?

In worldgen, that's why you'll see most of their civs being extremely small, sometimes just one settlement or tomb. Whether or not the cut off on migrants is artificial or not I dunno, but that's probably why migrant waves are often so small.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The first two waves are hardcoded and always arrive no matter what. There's no known way to disable them, either.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That crash problem I have when ambushes are spawned seems really frequent. No one else has this kind of problem?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

No. I'd have to guess something is really hosed with your invaders.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I turned off the player civs I'm not using and rerolled a world, hopefully it's one of those.

Also, this is why I keep rolling random names rather than just typing something:

The Warlock stronghold of FATBUTTOCK

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

I turned off the player civs I'm not using and rerolled a world, hopefully it's one of those.
Doesn't the Masterwork launcher say to not have more than one thing set to playable at a time?

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
It used to, but something changed a couple of versions back so that it wasn't necessary anymore I think.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sorry, I meant I turned off both playable (already was doing that) and NON playable. I've gotten elven, dwarven and human sieges so I know those are OK, plus goblin ambushes, so I left them on (NPC).

e: There's something really gratifying about having your horde of undead warriors powered by the souls of kittens :3:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 10, 2014

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Flesh Forge posted:

Sorry, I meant I turned off both playable (already was doing that) and NON playable. I've gotten elven, dwarven and human sieges so I know those are OK, plus goblin ambushes, so I left them on (NPC).

e: There's something really gratifying about having your horde of undead warriors powered by the souls of kittens :3:

A Fortress fed entirely with cats is the only way to play, seems fitting to use their souls to power your army.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

pixaal posted:

A Fortress fed entirely with cats is the only way to play, seems fitting to use their souls to power your army.

I refuse to kill cats. Cats are our friends.

Dogs can gently caress right off though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm kinda surprised you can get cats as Warlocks, well assuming they're grave cats. When I embark with them they all bleed to death the second I unpause, and when migrants bring cats with them they bleed to death when they pop into the map.

Also one of my squads today was auto named "The Squirting Lessons" :stare:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Lareine posted:

I refuse to kill cats. Cats are our friends.

Dogs can gently caress right off though.

A few cats is useful for killing vermin. The rest are just causing lag and will be made into take away. Dogs can be made into stray war dogs which are useful for distracting invaders while civilians flee.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Splode posted:

A few cats is useful for killing vermin. The rest are just causing lag and will be made into take away. Dogs can be made into stray war dogs which are useful for distracting invaders while civilians flee.

You need one cat for vermin control.

ONE. More just breed and are a menace. Nothing quite like having a tantrum spiral because 12 pet cats died in a siege.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ToxicSlurpee posted:

ONE. More just breed and are a menace. Nothing quite like having a tantrum spiral because 12 pet cats died in a siege.

Cats are excellent at tripping ambushes. Dogs don't wander. Nothing except cats will randomly wander the map tripping ambushes.

Random wandering also makes cats the best fire-and-forget cave probers. With dogs and things you have to keep setting meeting areas to get them to move around, but cats will just go chase bugs on their own.

If you are worried about tantrum spirals don't kill the cats, kill the dwarfs who love cats.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Where to you make a sawblade in Masterwork? The docs say it's supposed to be in the Engineer's Chamber but I don't see it.

e: haha right after I posted that I noticed it, never mind it's in the Engineer's Chamber after all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Of course then a migrant brings a pet cat and soon you have kittens flooding the streets. I never bring cats with me on embark since I have little modded slime creatures to eat vermin. I still end up with forts filled with cats though because I'm not a big enough rear end in a top hat/metagamer to design trap rooms that kill the pets of migrants.

I will have kittens butchered the second they are born though.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Internet Kraken posted:

Of course then a migrant brings a pet cat and soon you have kittens flooding the streets. I never bring cats with me on embark since I have little modded slime creatures to eat vermin. I still end up with forts filled with cats though because I'm not a big enough rear end in a top hat/metagamer to design trap rooms that kill the pets of migrants.

I will have kittens butchered the second they are born though.

Can't you just throw all the unwanted cats into a cage? IIRC the main cause of lag from cats is pathing, so if they're locked up they aren't trying to get anywhere.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Isn't that mean :smith:

Seriously you can just exterminate them with DFhack if they really bother you, there's a "slayrace" command (which I've never used so maybe it does not work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Isn't that mean :smith:

Seriously you can just exterminate them with DFhack if they really bother you, there's a "slayrace" command (which I've never used so maybe it does not work)

How is genocide less mean than incarceration? :psydwarf: