Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I really do not like this because you end up in a horrible line at the gate with minimal expediting.

This, a thousand times this- and they always have random policy changes where you have to end up opening your whole carry on and just looking like a total rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

The Ferret King posted:

How does that work (sincerely asking even though I've been snarky recently)?

Pretty simple since Eglin is a sprawling base...the airport is situated on one corner of the flightline that borders the edge of the base, they have their own ramp that is "outside" the base perimeter, so the only time airport folks need to "access" the military controlled area is when a flight departs or leaves. I can't pretend to know how the specifics work as far as arrivals or departures, but I imagine it isn't any different from a normal airport, just with the military tower handling things. It's not like the airport is super busy (only served by American, Delta, United, and US Airways, maybe 25-30 flights a day), so it wouldn't be imposing a huge burden on the military tower or anything.

Honestly the biggest issue that I can see would be the arresting cables that are strung across the runway for the fighters...every time I've flown out of there we've taxied a fair bit past the threshold to clear the near arresting cable before beginning our takeoff roll, I imagine that hitting a cable in a little ERJ 50 kts into a takeoff roll would be less than optimal.

If you look at google maps it'll make perfect sense.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Pretty simple since Eglin is a sprawling base...the airport is situated on one corner of the flightline that borders the edge of the base, they have their own ramp that is "outside" the base perimeter, so the only time airport folks need to "access" the military controlled area is when a flight departs or leaves. I can't pretend to know how the specifics work as far as arrivals or departures, but I imagine it isn't any different from a normal airport, just with the military tower handling things. It's not like the airport is super busy (only served by American, Delta, United, and US Airways, maybe 25-30 flights a day), so it wouldn't be imposing a huge burden on the military tower or anything.

Honestly the biggest issue that I can see would be the arresting cables that are strung across the runway for the fighters...every time I've flown out of there we've taxied a fair bit past the threshold to clear the near arresting cable before beginning our takeoff roll, I imagine that hitting a cable in a little ERJ 50 kts into a takeoff roll would be less than optimal.

ERJ-135s weigh about the same as a loaded fighter, I'm sure it'd stop you just fine!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Holy gently caress, how many CAK/Tusc County goons are there? There's a bunch of us here, plus 2-3 others in the NASCAR SAS thread...

I'm originally from Wooster (Wayne County, reprasent), and Cleveland-Hopkins was my airport for a long time. Until I was smart enough to GTFO of Ohio. For Detroit. Yeah...

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm firmly convinced Dulles is the worst airport on the planet

Counterpoint: LAX.

But seriously Dulles is pretty bad. I like how people give DIA poo poo for being a billion miles from Denver, forgetting Dulles has been pulling that same trick forever.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

They can't raise/lower the cable? We always had to take that into mission planning consideration at Nellis, because they'd have to move the cable after the fat kids took off so we'd have to adjust take-off times.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

iyaayas01 posted:

Please explain how USAF fighters use arresting cables, idgi

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

All USAF fighters actually have hooks for using arresting cables. They're pretty different from the navy ones, pretty much just intended to be used in case of emergencies like a late aborted take off or in case of hydraulic damage.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Snowdens Secret posted:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Not nearly as beefy as on carrier aircraft, but it is there.

I believe they used it for that one Israeli F-15 that had to land with one wing shot off, and thus had to come in at a much higher approach speed than normal.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Arrestor Barriers are also an option, if no hook is present:

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

A Eurofighter Typhoon (sitting by itself on the eastern ramp) just paying a visit to the beach?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fucknag posted:

Not nearly as beefy as on carrier aircraft, but it is there.

I believe they used it for that one Israeli F-15 that had to land with one wing shot off, and thus had to come in at a much higher approach speed than normal.

That wing wasn't shot off, he had a midair with a wingman. The other aircraft was destroyed, but I can't remember if the pilot ejected or not. I think it was an A-4?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

iyaayas01 posted:

There was massive renovation going on when I passed through a couple of weeks ago.

I kinda feel like Hartsfield-Jackson is one of those places that is just always undergoing renovation/construction somewhere.

He meant to say VPS instead of VAP...Florida Northwest Regional, i.e. Valparaiso/Ft Walton Beach/Destin, shares a runway with Eglin AFB.

Ha, yeah, VAP is apparently the wrong Valparaiso. To add, I have flown FAR before as well (Hector International, Fargo, ND) apparently named after the farmer who they bought the land off of. Which is something of a feat that the one guy not named Erickson back in the 1920s was the guy to think of putting together the original air field.

Understeer posted:

A Eurofighter Typhoon (sitting by itself on the eastern ramp) just paying a visit to the beach?

Eglin (and Hurlburt, too, sometimes) will play host to a lot of foreign aircrafts from allies and what not, thanks to it being the USAF munitions test range (and of course the environmental hanger). When my dad was stationed at Hurlburt we would usually see at least a flight of 3 or 4 Hind D's every year about the same time, and I think two eventually became permanent residents.

e: Also, the goon favorite fighter, the F-35, sitting on the SW ramp.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 8, 2014

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Godholio posted:

That wing wasn't shot off, he had a midair with a wingman. The other aircraft was destroyed, but I can't remember if the pilot ejected or not. I think it was an A-4?

Didn't Boeing/McDonald-Douglas not believe the Israeli story.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Flikken posted:

Pretty much, I think the head engineer for the F-15 project even flew out to actually look at it. Took them a while to realize they accidentally built a lifting body before it was a thing. F-15: aeronautical hipster.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
e: f, b

Flikken posted:

When they first were told about the incident they ran a few simulations that said it was completely impossible. Then the Israelis invited some of their engineers out to actually see the plane and talk to the pilot, at which point they found out their simulator was not as accurate as they thought, and had to rewrite the code.

I'm probably over-simplifying things but yeah, Boeing/MD didn't buy it at first. I mean really, who would?

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 8, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

They can't raise/lower the cable? We always had to take that into mission planning consideration at Nellis, because they'd have to move the cable after the fat kids took off so we'd have to adjust take-off times.

It's an old school BAK-12 system that would require you to go out there and manually move the donuts to lower it flat to the pavement or just manually remove it completely...so probably they'd rather inconvenience the occasional airliner by making it taxi a couple hundred yards past the threshold as opposed to be manually tinkering with it every hour or two and possibly impacting flight ops for the fighters. Or maybe it's some Camp Eglin union bullshit since pretty much everything down there is done by ancient civil service dudes.

Snowdens Secret posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMXI0MfmYuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKtJeKCx3Po

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEE7eOtGc-E

Just posting that last one because holy poo poo, that SrA is like the stereotypical crew chief.

Typically used in an emergency situation, if the aircraft is coming in with hot/no brakes, flight control issues driving a faster than normal approach speed, or something otherwise out of the ordinary.

Understeer posted:

Probably Brits doing some sort of OT&E or something.

YF19pilot posted:

Eglin (and Hurlburt, too, sometimes) will play host to a lot of foreign aircrafts from allies and what not, thanks to it being the USAF munitions test range (and of course the environmental hanger). When my dad was stationed at Hurlburt we would usually see at least a flight of 3 or 4 Hind D's every year about the same time, and I think two eventually became permanent residents.

e: Also, the goon favorite fighter, the F-35, sitting on the SW ramp.

I'd be willing to lay odds on the Hinds at Hurlburt not being foreign but rather being something AFSOC "acquired" to train and/or do FID with.

Also Eglin is home to the 33rd FW, the pilot/schoolhouse unit for the JSF...there's a whole mess of them flying around down there, all three variants as well as some international folks.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 8, 2014

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

iyaayas01 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMXI0MfmYuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKtJeKCx3Po

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEE7eOtGc-E

Just posting that last one because holy poo poo, that SrA is like the stereotypical crew chief.

You totally forgot a classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlReZySwPPY

:ssh:...ripped the hook right off.

ed: better quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTNMcs4-29Y

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 8, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Powercube posted:

This, a thousand times this- and they always have random policy changes where you have to end up opening your whole carry on and just looking like a total rear end in a top hat bag of dildos.

FTFY

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Neat stuff. Looks like the BAK-12 arrestor system is a little more slack than the cables on an aircraft carrier, is that a fair assessment? Seems like it decelerates them a bit more gradually.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Neat stuff. Looks like the BAK-12 arrestor system is a little more slack than the cables on an aircraft carrier, is that a fair assessment? Seems like it decelerates them a bit more gradually.

Carrier aircraft are built around surviving some crazy g forces on landing, air force aircraft are comparatively fragile. If you'd like to learn more on the subject start a conversation on literally any topic with a naval aviator.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Carrier aircraft are built around surviving some crazy g forces on landing, air force aircraft are comparatively fragile. If you'd like to learn more on the subject start a conversation on literally any topic with a naval aviator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BzU1sYPjzo

Always, always relevant

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hobbesmaster posted:

An ATC trainee of mine used to be in the Navy and worked up at Whidbey, I think. He mentioned how they always had the BAK-12 system in place, and airplanes would run over it when not in use. However they'd get some Coast Guard airplanes or something, something a bit larger than usual, wanting to use the runway along with fighters. Well, large transport/cargo type aircraft and fighters don't mix well in the pattern, so basically the bigger planes would get 1 touch and go for every 2 the fighters got. He said when the big boys got sick of playing second fiddle to the fighters, they'd deliberately bounce their heavy rear end aircraft directly onto the BAK-12 arrestor cable and pull it out of battery. Once that was done, it required a manual reset by the ground/fire rescue crew, before the fighters were allowed to continue playing in the pattern (their operational guidelines required the presence of a backup arrestor system to do touch and goes, or something). Queue an uninterrupted hour of pattern work for the larger aircraft!

I have completely misremembered many aspects of this anecdote. Point is, it was cross-branch rivalry, and it was hilarious.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

airport chat: The best airports are Japanese airports (I've flown in and out of Narita, Haneda, Osaka Kansai, Osaka Itami, and Kagoshima), because they're well organized, the staff are super helpful, and you can take a big ol' bottle of whatever you're drinking through security because they have this plastic thing they set it in with a green light that turns on if it isn't a bomb I guess (how it works I have no idea), which is truly awesome future-tech. Attention all other airports: Buy a ton of these and quit being so loving anal about liquids and gels.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Haneda is great and it's incredibly easy to get in and out of downtown, which is very important in Tokyo. Narita's not difficult either but the asspain factor is slightly higher. Both have some great facilities and restaurants, and everyone's very courteous. Plus their stores don't jack up the prices to idiotic levels like American airports do. Well, the duty-frees do, but that's to be expected.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They're still Tokyo prices though which are insane. At least the yen is back around 100 again. Tokyo with 75 yen to the dollar is painful. Narita actually has some observation areas before security which is pretty cool and nonexistent in the US.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Anybody here heard of the Cirrus SF50? It's a pretty plane that's small and costs around 1.8 mil

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Anybody here heard of the Cirrus SF50? It's a pretty plane that's small and costs around 1.8 mil

Yea. It is small and a jet. It's neat for super rich boys.

I love the Cirrus SR22 airframe. It's fast, looks comfortable, and equipped standard with a CAPS parachute. But you can spend $900k on a new one, while older used piston singles can be had for $100k or less. I'll never live in a world where Cirrus aircraft are an option for me.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

I love the Cirrus SR22 airframe. It's fast, looks comfortable, and equipped standard with a CAPS parachute. But you can spend $900k on a new one, while older used piston singles can be had for $100k or less. I'll never live in a world where Cirrus aircraft are an option for me.

Every time I sit in one I don't want to get out.

I don't fly them I detail them.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Bitchtard posted:

Every time I sit in one I don't want to get out.

I don't fly them I detail them.

They are terrible airplanes to fly. You're welcome

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Despite the parachute they somehow have triple the fatality rate per flight hour of its competitors.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Linedance posted:

airport chat: The best airports are Japanese airports (I've flown in and out of Narita, Haneda, Osaka Kansai, Osaka Itami, and Kagoshima), because they're well organized, the staff are super helpful, and you can take a big ol' bottle of whatever you're drinking through security because they have this plastic thing they set it in with a green light that turns on if it isn't a bomb I guess (how it works I have no idea), which is truly awesome future-tech. Attention all other airports: Buy a ton of these and quit being so loving anal about liquids and gels.

According to a blog I read from a former TSA employee we apparently have this equipment, but just never use it. I can't find the blog now though. It was the one that detailed how easy it was to hide objects from those fancy scanners the TSA bought.

The thing I liked about Narita was that the baggage carousel had bumpers and some stuff to gently put the bags down. I don't remember exactly what it was but it was cool.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hobbesmaster posted:

Despite the parachute they somehow have triple the fatality rate per flight hour of its competitors.

They're a very high performance aircraft and they tend to attract a lot of rich morons.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Just saw this pic on the funny pictures thread.

And the article were Alasca Airlines explains it.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08/09/we-know-about-this-alaska-airlines-apologizes-for-handwritten-note-on-damaged-wing-of-plane/

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

iyaayas01 posted:

I'd be willing to lay odds on the Hinds at Hurlburt not being foreign but rather being something AFSOC "acquired" to train and/or do FID with.

Also Eglin is home to the 33rd FW, the pilot/schoolhouse unit for the JSF...there's a whole mess of them flying around down there, all three variants as well as some international folks.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, I think the two started becoming a permanent feature about '99 or 2000. I also wouldn't be surprised if they broke and were just forgotten by their owners.

I knew about the 33rd, I think a lot of people were surprised that Eglin got that and not Tyndall. But I left the area before they got their first bird, so I never got to see F35s flying about.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Micr0chiP posted:

Just saw this pic on the funny pictures thread.

And the article were Alasca Airlines explains it.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08/09/we-know-about-this-alaska-airlines-apologizes-for-handwritten-note-on-damaged-wing-of-plane/

Oh the days I felt like doing something like that on C-130s

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Linedance posted:

I've been flying on Spirit a lot lately from Chicago to Florida (:20bux:) and the way I stay hydrated without paying :10bux: for a tiny bottle of water is to take a cheap, empty 2L bottle from home and fill it up behind security. ORD even has filling stations at some water fountains specifically for this purpose.

If you want cold water and aren't afraid of loving with TSA smurfs freeze about 1/4 of a bottle of water into ice at home, drain the meltage right before security and inform them that ice is a solid and allowed past security by the TSA's own rules. The screeners at RSW cringe when they see my wife coming down the hall, since she is usually carrying a full meal from an Italian joint near the airport we love and routinely shoves the TSA's own rules up their asses in getting it through. Besides, if you just say you're hypoglycemic they'll let you through with just about anything.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Ferret King posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about those two airports and it still doesn't help casual readers understand where "MCO" is.

Mickey's
Corporate
Office

Hope that helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Linedance posted:

I liked going to Narita from Seattle because I get out of Sea-tac in midafternoon, spend ten hours in a 767, get out, get through customs, and the first thing I see after collecting my bag? A Starbucks. It's like I never left. :v:

I don't understand anyone who likes Atlanta though. It's a depressing concrete-rear end box. Not quite as depressing of a concrete box as LaGuardia (ughhh) but ... it's terrible. And doesn't have food worth talking about. What alternate universe Atlanta airport are people going to that I'm not?

probably the nicest airport I've been to lately is Indianapolis - it's relatively new, clean, wide open, lots of windows, easy layout, and because it's Indianapolis, rarely crowded. Because really.