Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Halloween Jack posted:

Does Bryan's knee have a name yet?

From Backstage Pass after a Smackdown

Bryan: ”There’s only one person left I have to beat to get a fair shot at the WWE Championship and that’s Triple H. He says I’m a B+ player, well I’m going to knee him right in the face. If he thinks I’m a B+, I’m going to show him a Knee Plus.”

They've yet to call it that on air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

On air it's either ThekneethatbeatJohnCena or the highly creative "The Running Knee".

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The Knee That Randy Orton Kicked Out Of After A Very Slightly Delayed Pin

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
When Bryan hit the knee on Orton and Batista stole the pin, I thought Batista was going to win because NO ONE KICKS OUT OF THE KNEE!!

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Supreme Allah posted:

The Knee That Randy Orton Kicked Out Of After A Very Slightly Delayed Pin

Finishers not only damage the opponent but give the user extra pinning power. The knee was not at fault :colbert:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

This knee kills fascists

I now wish it had said this on the kneepad he used last night. drat, missed opportunity.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

TL posted:

I thought Bryan referred to it as a Solid Knee Plus a few weeks back.

That was the social media favored name for it. Bryan shortened it to Knee Plus, but nobody on TV has called it that.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Knee Plus is a dumb as poo poo name.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

-Monkeycheese

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Does Bob Backlund have some sort of degenerative mental disorder or did he just get caught making goofy faces at Mania?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Burt Buckle posted:

Does Bob Backlund have some sort of degenerative mental disorder or did he just get caught making goofy faces at Mania?

I think he likes playing up to his crazy old man rep. Everything I've heard points to him being in great condition for his age.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

triplexpac posted:

When Bryan hit the knee on Orton and Batista stole the pin, I thought Batista was going to win because NO ONE KICKS OUT OF THE KNEE!!

A ton of people, including Meltzer and Alvarez had pitched Batista stealing the win to set-up him and Bryan in a singles at Extreme Rules, so that was my heart attack moment. Well, after Taker losing, which I did a legit double take at.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Thauros posted:

I think he likes playing up to his crazy old man rep. Everything I've heard points to him being in great condition for his age.

I remember awhile back when he was hanging around TNA the stories coming out of there about how he'd just wander around the backlot and around Universal Studios just living his gimmick and offering to give people stuff if they could name every president.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Bob Backlund is a dangerously unhinged lunatic.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Supreme Allah posted:

Bob Backlund is Dean Ambrose in 40 years.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
So can you guys tell me about a wrestler named 'Bruiser Bob Sweetan'? I don't know if that's spelled right or not.

He would have been active in the south, When I was talking to my dad during and before wrestlemania he mentioned he was his favorite wrestler as a kid. My Dad's in his early 50s or so if that helps.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
What was the deal with Rey Misterio during the Andre battle royale? At one point he was cowering from the Big Show, begging him for mercy in the corner. It seemed like this would lead to Rey heelishly sneak-attacking him/eliminating him, but it went nowhere.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Stallion Cabana posted:

So can you guys tell me about a wrestler named 'Bruiser Bob Sweetan'? I don't know if that's spelled right or not.

He would have been active in the south, When I was talking to my dad during and before wrestlemania he mentioned he was his favorite wrestler as a kid. My Dad's in his early 50s or so if that helps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Sweetan

quote:

On WWE's Legends of Wrestling in 2009, longtime employee Jim Ross stated that he "didn't like" Sweetan and "didn't want to be around him", describing him as a "miserable human being".[1] In his book, Jim Duggan referred to Sweetan as a "bully" and "a real piece of garbage."[2] "Dr. Death" Steve Williams described him as "A very, very tough man."[3]

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

What was the deal with Rey Misterio during the Andre battle royale? At one point he was cowering from the Big Show, begging him for mercy in the corner. It seemed like this would lead to Rey heelishly sneak-attacking him/eliminating him, but it went nowhere.

This was a repeat of a spot they did in the go-home show where Big Show showed Rey mercy after Rey begged off, only for Rey to sneak attack him with a 619 (and ultimately fail).

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

This sucks. I was hoping he was an okay guy.

I would guess he's too old to have any matches or anything recorded?

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Stallion Cabana posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H0TzE1h0Ic

There's more stuff on YouTube, I just grabbed the first one.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Stallion Cabana posted:

Hacksaw is kind of a piece of poo poo so who knows maybe he was cool? There's probably some of his stuff from Stampede recorded, I believe Stu was one of the earliest to save his tapes.

Here's a tag of his with Bruiser Brody in a battle of the bruisers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H0TzE1h0Ic There's more if you search.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Thanks guys.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Bob Sweetan is also best known as being described by Jim Cornette as looking "like someone set his face on fire and then put it out with an axe."

Not a handsome man, he.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Commissar Ken posted:

I remember awhile back when he was hanging around TNA the stories coming out of there about how he'd just wander around the backlot and around Universal Studios just living his gimmick and offering to give people stuff if they could name every president.

He mentioned that he wouldn't sign autographs or take pictures with fans unless they could recite the presidents in order in an article for the WWF magazine back in 1994 during his run to the WWF title, so I guess he's just incredibly dedicated to being consistent with his crazy character for some reason, to the point where he can't even just smile and wave at a camera acknowledging his presence.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

Hacksaw is kind of a piece of poo poo so who knows maybe [Sweetan] was cool?
Rumour has it he was imprisoned and deported to Canada for molesting his stepdaughter.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Is the Macho Man "the beat goes on" promo out there on some video site somewhere? It got pulled from Youtube.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Rumour has it he was imprisoned and deported to Canada for molesting his stepdaughter.

As I posted that deep down inside I knew this had to be the case. I'm not sure if it is an inner assumption to always assume the worst with wrestlers or if I've read that at some point, but, of course it's always awful.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Did Heenan ever manage a face?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Supreme Allah posted:

Not really, he's just a loving pro, one of the last of a dying breed.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

That's the same thing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

When did the "Yes! No! Yes! No! Whoooooooaaaaaaaaa....yes!" thing with DB matches start?

Also how many retirement matches in the last 35 years have been actual retirement matches? As far as I know, Shawn Michaels did retire, not counting being a guest referee at Wrestlemania 28.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Joeslop posted:

When did the "Yes! No! Yes! No! Whoooooooaaaaaaaaa....yes!" thing with DB matches start?

Also how many retirement matches in the last 35 years have been actual retirement matches? As far as I know, Shawn Michaels did retire, not counting being a guest referee at Wrestlemania 28.

Stone Cold Steve Austin's retirement match was at WrestleMania 19 (though he didn't tell anyone until afterwards) and, so far, he hasn't worked a single match since.

Someone can give an answer to the Daniel Bryan question because I really don't know other than it must have happened after Daniel Bryan stopped being the "NO!" heel.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Joeslop posted:

It's been around for a long time on the indies but the first time I remember it happening in WWE was this match with Punk and Mark Henry in 2012.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

Thauros posted:

It's especially jarring after seeing Orndorff at WM and realizing he and Backlund are the same age.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Joeslop posted:

Inoki only wrestled an exhibition match after his retirement match, so he sort of counts.

Baba never wrestled after his retirement match... but his retirement match was held after his death (they did an in ring ceremony they billed as a match since he never got to have a retirement match) so I am not sure that counts!

The Destroyer never wrestled after his retirement match... unless you count the Baba ceremony!

Mad Dog Vachon never wrestled after his retirement match.

Hase never came back after his retirement match.

Kobashi has been retired for less than a year but I am pretty sure his retirement match will stick, Taue's probably will too.

Nigel McGuinness seems done after his retirement tour.

Kensuke Sasaki will probably never wrestle after his retirement match but it's only been a few months so it's weird to include it. He'd be risking his health if he did though.

I don't know if Dynamite Kid's final match was actually billed as a retirement match or not. It was billed as a special legends match and he was clearly done, but I don't remember how it was billed.

Bull Nakano won't wrestle again after her retirement show, although she technically didn't do a match, there were just re-enactments of famous matches she's done with her in her gear looking like she did in her glory days.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

How many retirement matches has Terry Funk had?

http://www.angelfire.com/ok2/hardcorerevolution2/funk.html posted:

Funk came down with a mild case of Hepitias A in January.He knew the end of his carrer was near.So he fufilled his independent and ECW dates.The now 55 year old Hardcore Legend offically retired after winning a match against SABU in Hamilton Ontario Canada on Sunday Night June 5 1999 at a independent show for the Apocolypse Wrestling Federation. Terry Funk will always be remembered as one of the toughest men to lace up a pair of boots.

Thanks for the memories Terry, I for one will miss you

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Joeslop posted:

i dunno about the yes/no thing but the WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH thing started in roh around 05ish

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Those masks the Shield have started wearing during their entrances, what are they and where can I get them?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
You needed to pre order a Collector's Edition of COD: Black Ops Ghosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
My mother mentioned offhand to me that she used to watch a little wrestling when she was a kid with her dad and namedropped Chief Jay Strongbow. Was he any good, and are there any matches that are worth seeing with him in it? If it's on the Network that would help, though with what little I know I'm not sure if he'd be anywhere.