Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
For me, the fighting isn't inspired and there's way too much of a delay when they're doing the changing gimmick. Even Gokaiger constantly changing didn't slow down the pace during a battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Really enjoyed this episode of ToQger. As much as I loved Kyoryuger, I'll admit it was a little too Red-centric. I was expecting this to be a Kagura episode, but it turned out to be a stealth-Hikari-centric one. The kendama-girl bit was hilarious, and I'm glad they finally had an actual reason to use the color-switching thing.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Twisty of Fate posted:

Sure. I'll go to a place and get a quote tomorrow. I'll sell it for 30 dollars plus whatever I get told about shipping

Sounds alright. It's mostly shipping that concerns me, so when you give me that quote we can talk. :)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I find the color switching to be a worthless gimmick (haven't watched this week's yet) and am not a Right fan, at all, but other than that I am enjoying the show. Maybe its just because we had a lot of urban seasons in a row and its nice to see a team fighting in the countryside for once.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
So, I don't want to say for sure that Flower of Makai is a return to form after YamiTeri kinda puttered around and ZERO: Black Blood was just kind of boring and way too focused on the franchise's own sexism (and I don't mean as a commentary, I mean its plot just revolved around it), but this is certainly giving me some reason to be hopeful.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I think this was also mentioned on 4chan, but it bears repeating here.

Tokkyuger's crime isn't being a bad sentai, or a bad toku show. It's main problem is it's going up against Gaim, which is already being hailed as a instant reccomendation for Kamen Rider and tokusatsu in general. Of course it's not going to be up to snuff, but I'm enjoying it despite that. Concious or not, it's still self contained, and should be enjoyed as such.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Leaving on a plane wednesday night, would like to catch up on my toku shows while in the air. What's the best recommended way to play 10bit, x.264 encoded files on Linux? Please tell me something besides VLC.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

Solaris Knight posted:

Tokkyuger's crime isn't being a bad sentai, or a bad toku show. It's main problem is it's going up against Gaim, which is already being hailed as a instant reccomendation for Kamen Rider and tokusatsu in general. Of course it's not going to be up to snuff, but I'm enjoying it despite that. Concious or not, it's still self contained, and should be enjoyed as such.

I'M GONNA KICK YOUR rear end U PIECE OF CRAP
IT'S SO GOOD

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Solaris Knight posted:

I don't watch Gaim, so my lack of ToQ enjoyment doesn't come from an unfair comparison. It's a shame, too, because I love trains and was looking forward to it. I'll drop back in when they get their Sixth and see if that changes the dynamic at all.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Don't get me wrong, I am really enjoying Tokkyuger, it's fun, it's earnest, and it has a interesting story hook with them trying to find their town. Comparing those is no pun intended, like apples and oranges. Both series can exist, but I feel Gaim's plot focus and drama are making Tokkyuger feel like the annoying little brother acting out, to some people.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm enjoying TQG because I'm easily attached to characters and it's fun, but I admit I'm looking forward to Gaim way more and TQG keeps my interest as much for the awesome villain group as for finding out what the character's deals are.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

The music that plays when ToQ-O transforms is the best.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, I'm usually not the biggest fan of comedy sentai, but I'm loving ToQ because of just how perfectly they play into the show's gimmick. The ToQgers aren't fighters, they're grown-rear end kids playing pretend, and they fight like it. Except, they happen to have super-cool bracers that make their play fights come to life. I mean, the last episode had Green hurl Pink around as a giant kendama ball. The whole show kinda reminds of the superhero "battles" I used to have with my friends after school when we were like ten.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Solaris Knight posted:

The other thing it has to compare itself to is Kyoryuger where the villains were always advancing their plot and something of relevance seemed to have happened every episode. ToQ on the other hand seems to be drifting through its plots at a rather relaxed pace.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

toomanyninjas posted:

I don't watch Gaim, so my lack of ToQ enjoyment doesn't come from an unfair comparison. It's a shame, too, because I love trains and was looking forward to it. I'll drop back in when they get their Sixth and see if that changes the dynamic at all.

Same here, I don't watch Kamen Rider and the pacing is relatively slow.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

HKR posted:

Leaving on a plane wednesday night, would like to catch up on my toku shows while in the air. What's the best recommended way to play 10bit, x.264 encoded files on Linux? Please tell me something besides VLC.

Mobile vlc actually works pretty well. Love it on my iPad

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

HKR posted:

I've been using mpv for some time now, it's p.good.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Mobile vlc actually works pretty well. Love it on my iPad

iPads run linux now?!?!?!?!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

AzraelNewtype posted:

Hey man, throw enough bitcoin around and anything's possible

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Solaris Knight posted:

It also doesn't help that it's following Gokaiger, Go-Busters, and Kyoryuger, all of which were fantastic shows, in my opinion. ToQger just feeels really bland and boring in comparison.

I'm going to give it until the sixth shows up and see if it's picked up any by then. I hope it does. I like trains, and was really excited about finally getting a train sentai.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

AzraelNewtype posted:

I've been using mpv for some time now, it's p.good.

Awesome, will try it when I get home.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

So... meet Ultraman Victory.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
He's got a V on him.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Ultraman Victoreem?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

AzraelNewtype posted:

So... meet Ultraman Victory.

Nice to see Delu-Knight found some new work, I suppose.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Modern Day Hercules posted:

He's got a V on him.

He's got a V on each limb, and his head, and his torso.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Well, someone survived the destruction of Metaluna. Good to know.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
GARO: Flower of Makai - 01

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Zero_Tactility posted:

Ultraman Victoreem?
Very Melon.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Oh cool, I didn't know the new series was starting this month!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Is that supposed to be Kouga's dad?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Serious Frolicking posted:

Is that supposed to be Kouga's dad?

It's Kouga's son. We've seen Taiga a few times already why would you think this was him?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Going to start watching W with a friend of mine and just thought I'd pop in here real quick to ask when the Begins Night movie should be watched. I know it's somewhere fairly early in the series, I'm thinking after 10 or 11 or so, but just double-checking.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Twelve by Pies posted:

Going to start watching W with a friend of mine and just thought I'd pop in here real quick to ask when the Begins Night movie should be watched. I know it's somewhere fairly early in the series, I'm thinking after 10 or 11 or so, but just double-checking.

After episode 14.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Over-Time just released subs of Kyoryuger vs Go-Busters feat. More Dinos.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

jivjov posted:

Over-Time just released subs of Kyoryuger vs Go-Busters feat. More Dinos Beet J Stag.

Fixed

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

He IS in the movie. :)

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I like how the ToQGer music sounds like that train level from Mario Kart 64

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That movie was everything I love about Sentai, but I would probably hate it if Go-Busters didn't already get the perfect sendoff in the amazing Returns film.

I rolled my eyes at the design for the final monster, and then lasers started coming out from everywhere, and I actually cheered out loud.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Man, I really should watch Gobus, given how it's not gonna get adapted any time soon. But I barely have enough attention span for two series at a time :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Solaris Knight posted:

Man, I really should watch Gobus, given how it's not gonna get adapted any time soon. But I barely have enough attention span for two series at a time :ohdear:

Go-Busters was really good.

• Locked thread