Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

For those curious or too lazy to look it up: Million Won is 947$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Demicol posted:

For those curious or too lazy to look it up: Million Won is 947$

So the offer wasn't quite as extravagant as it seemed.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I just use a shorthand of 1.00 USD = 100 Yen = 1000 Won.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
A thousand bucks is a lot of money if you're a high schooler, plus with how easy that was for him he could farm up like 50 of them in like a day or two. 50k for a couple days of work? Hell. loving. Yes.

Also she is a huge tease and it's hilarious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like that the hammer is rank "A Little Special".

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
He would be a huge asset to any organization, since he can literally create incredibly rare and legendary items out of nothing, with zero need for the supplier, payment and networking that this usually requires - and his supply is virtually unlimited, too. His autarky in underground supplies (and money, via selling) extends to any allies, too.

They just need to pull him through some tough dungeons and grind him to a high level and then let him farm time-dilated top-tier poo poo and suddenly the lowliest mook of Chunbumoon will walk around with Demonslayer's Spiked Stralite Underpants of Serenity.
Hell, since his drop system extends to any party members he chooses to invite, they can basically start doing 40-man raids with the Grandmaster in some high-level training instance to get prohibitively expensive or one-of-a-kind special artifacts. :v:

can't wait for the molten core raid :allears:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Welcome to the wonderful world of black market arms dealing Jee-Han.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He's totally going to get on people's bad side just from that ability alone. I'm sure traffickers in high-end low-quantity mystical goods won't appreciate a magical market-ruiner like him.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Captain Invictus posted:

He's totally going to get on people's bad side just from that ability alone. I'm sure traffickers in high-end low-quantity mystical goods won't appreciate a magical market-ruiner like him.

Well, after they try floating him some exclusive supplier contracts of course.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

He's basically setting himself up to potentially be the most valuable ability user on the planet by virtue of his reality warping powers alone.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that Sae-Young might be our informant?

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES

KittyEmpress posted:

Chapter 31

Looks like he's making a bit more money now. Also, Sae-Young teasing him makes me laugh.

Man... I've been waiting for the hammer to drop, but I didn't expect it to happen this way.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Captain Invictus posted:

I was anticipating that, and that's why I'm glad the Chunbumoon offered to buy his poo poo directly. I'm pumped to see a whole clan outfitted with sick loot generated by Jee-han's power.

This chapter was great.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I still think that Chunbumoon is going to turn out to have set him up and been leaking the details specifically so they could have him stay with them under guise of 'protecting' and 'training' him.

If they get items dropping and buy them from him for cheaper than otherwise, the clan could get a huge boost in power as everyone gets some pretty sweet weapons and potentially armor. That'd be a big benefit.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

KittyEmpress posted:

I still think that Chunbumoon is going to turn out to have set him up and been leaking the details specifically so they could have him stay with them under guise of 'protecting' and 'training' him.

If they get items dropping and buy them from him for cheaper than otherwise, the clan could get a huge boost in power as everyone gets some pretty sweet weapons and potentially armor. That'd be a big benefit.

I'm think the same thing Sae Young being a huge tease fits perfectly on that mindset since she can lure him with her female wiles to join the Chunbumoon

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If only Jee-Han had the Str to equip them, he could farm multiple ones and stack all the MP regen effects.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm think the same thing Sae Young being a huge tease fits perfectly on that mindset since she can lure him with her female wiles to join the Chunbumoon

Eh, I don't know. He's known this family for a long time, and his powers never manifested until recently. They would have no idea how useful he'd be, so that's one hell of a long con for something of unknown utility. I'd expect his mom to be up to something before these guys.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Nahxela posted:

If only Jee-Han had the Str to equip them, he could farm multiple ones and stack all the MP regen effects.

I would assume you would have to have them actually "equipped" for that to work and I can't possibly see anyone using more then two at once.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Demicol posted:

I would assume you would have to have them actually "equipped" for that to work and I can't possibly see anyone using more then two at once.

Duct tape the ends together to have a couple double ended ones.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Nahxela posted:

On the other hand, it'd take a long time to get that Dual-Wield passive perk to max level to reap that kinda benefit. Probably not worth the hassle when he can just grind out breathing to get much better MP regen.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
He should raise his crafting skill and make his own drat magic weapons! Maybe once he's crafted a thing he could use Chunbumoon mana manipulation skills to imbue it with magic and then raise his Enchantment skill! I think that'd be a really good use for a high INT character like he's shaping out to be.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Davinci posted:

Duct tape the ends together to have a couple double ended ones.

Maybe item combination works like in Two Worlds and he can duct-tape together 15 of the same items to create an ultra death stack hammer.

gently caress crafting items, tape a couple dozen vacuum cleaners together to get a weapon with several gigapascal of suction power and make everything smash to smithereens into walls with a crafty blinkstep to the side.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

DrSunshine posted:

He should raise his crafting skill and make his own drat magic weapons! Maybe once he's crafted a thing he could use Chunbumoon mana manipulation skills to imbue it with magic and then raise his Enchantment skill! I think that'd be a really good use for a high INT character like he's shaping out to be.

I would loving love to see Jee-Han grind gear crafting. He'd keep stabbing his fingers trying to sew and get a pity skill.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Demicol posted:

What if it's like Dark Souls and putting it on your back will still get you the passive?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I'm betting something will happen and he'll be pushed into raising his strength to equip that hammer. It's a good weapon for a hybrid (with that mana boost) and he has that blunt weapon skill from earlier.

edit: spoilers

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 8, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Desuwa posted:

I'm betting something will happen and he'll be pushed into raising his strength to equip that hammer. It's a good weapon for a hybrid (with that mana boost) and he has that blunt weapon skill from earlier.

He was told to train up martial arts more. The CC skill is nice but it'd still be smart to dump some extra points into strength.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Eh, I don't know. He's known this family for a long time, and his powers never manifested until recently. They would have no idea how useful he'd be, so that's one hell of a long con for something of unknown utility. I'd expect his mom to be up to something before these guys.

We're not assuming that they've been doing this the entire time they've known him, just that since he revealed his powers to them, they told the market, so the market would approach him, so they could scare him into getting closer to the family, so they could take advantage of the new ability.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

KittyEmpress posted:

We're not assuming that they've been doing this the entire time they've known him, just that since he revealed his powers to them, they told the market, so the market would approach him, so they could scare him into getting closer to the family, so they could take advantage of the new ability.

But their behavior has gone unchanged to our knowledge and there's plenty of other possibilities as to how a mystical black market figured out who he is (I mean, it is a mystical black market.)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Well they did invite him to join the clan, which they never offered to do before. And Sae-Young rather conspicuously was very scantily dressed when they asked that, to the point where Jee-Han was inwardly asking why the grandfather/master was not saying anything about it.

:v: The theory isn't right, probably, but it'd be a neat twist in my opinion. Especially if flame-fist girl or black summoner guy (I am bad with names) are the ones who inform him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there was also the secret meeting a while ago. I think if it came to that, his friend would abandon the clan and join him. I also hope Sae is innocent in this, if nothing else but to avoid another "female friend has been deceiving the hero with sex appeal for nefarious ends" cliche.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

KittyEmpress posted:

Well they did invite him to join the clan, which they never offered to do before. And Sae-Young rather conspicuously was very scantily dressed when they asked that, to the point where Jee-Han was inwardly asking why the grandfather/master was not saying anything about it.

:v: The theory isn't right, probably, but it'd be a neat twist in my opinion. Especially if flame-fist girl or black summoner guy (I am bad with names) are the ones who inform him.

I'm pretty sure they never offered because he probably never showed an interest in martial arts outside of fighting games and didn't appear to have an ability. Now he does have an ability and he is going to be pulled into the dangerous world of ability users whether he likes it or not and the clan would offer him some protection from those dangers until he's strong enough to stand up to them on his own.

As for Sae-Young I get the impression that she always dresses that way, it's a pretty practical getup if you're a martial artist and/or lazy. I think she just likes to flaunt her stuff at him because he gets all flustered over it and she finds that funny as hell. If she was really trying to seduce him would her amusement at his embarrassment be so obvious? If she always acts like this grandpa is probably just going "this again? :rolleyes:" at her instead of commenting on it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Sae-Young is probably being encouraged to spend time with him, but the flirtation is all her. An overt seduction isn't really necessary given that Jee-Han is already close to their clan. They want him to formally join, but they don't have to try to trick him. The abyss is dangerous, Jee-Han is in more danger alone and there are a lot of benefits to joining.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Hah, I love the whole economical angle of his loot-drop ability and how it has the potential to destroy not only the real-world economy with a flood of money, but the abyss auction with a flood of rare items. It's quite literally 'something from nothing' from what we've seen so far. He'll definitely have some assassins coming after him now if they catch wind of this.

It'd be interesting if the polar opposite happened eventually; most RPGs have a discard-item option that, in most cases, doesn't leave the item on the ground, but removes it from existence. I imagine our hero sneaking into the abyss auction or an armory and picking up and discarding all of their weapons. It'd end up removing all magical weapons from dangerous players, creating an equal playing ground.

Also, since it sounds really interesting, I do hope that the Chunbumoon is 'protecting' Jee-Han under the guise of having him under their thumb, but I hope that Sun-Il and Sae-Young are not directly aware of this and only operating under suggestions from their grandfather to 'help our a friend'.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Now he does have an ability and he is going to be pulled into the dangerous world of ability users whether he likes it or not and the clan would offer him some protection from those dangers until he's strong enough to stand up to them on his own.

And why would this shadowy organization do this? Out of the goodness of their heart? Look, I'm not saying they're eeeeeevil or anything, just that they stand to gain by cozying up to Jee-Han, and I'm sure someone like that grandfather realizes this.

Also, don't forget that Jee-han isn't just a random dude, but the son of a very powerful ability user of some kind. It's entirely possible the Chunbumoon know about his mother and have had an eye on him for quite some time to see if anything develops.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Remember, this has always primarily been a comedy. It is entirely possible that the mom's deep dark secret is something completely innocuous.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Serious Frolicking posted:

Remember, this has always primarily been a comedy. It is entirely possible that the mom's deep dark secret is something completely innocuous.

I don't trust manwhas anymore, they always start bright and fun and suddenly everyone will die in two days or something :smith:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Serious Frolicking posted:

Her level is directly tied to her age.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
She is a level 99 korean soap opera enthusiast.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Jee-Han can't comprehend something more powerful than the person who buys him frozen pizzas.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

She is actually ?? Because she is the leader of Jee-Han's faction (his family) and faction leaders are always super high level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
He's been creating extremely rare items from half-assed training that is always under conditions that minimize risk. Imagine if he sets out to farm or picks up +item rate stuff.

Those "mana factory" dudes would flip there poo poo to harness Jee-Han's ability. He represents an unprecedentedly powerful asset to bolster your economy. The kind that factions would fight a war over.

Whether there trying to influence him or not, he is going to need the Chunbumoon's protection once the real power players figure out the implications of his ability.