Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

De Nomolos posted:

Wow, and I though NC gave its legislature the most power. 3/5ths of the GA overrides a veto.

It used to be higher, but then when the first GOP gov won election in 1984, the Democratic GA and it's LG made the mark lower. Then, when a GOP LG was elected in 1988 along with the GOP Gov, they took away all of his powers, too. It's now a useless position unless the Senate is split 25-25.

Of course, all this was done assuming that while a GOP gov could be elected, the GA was iron-clad. Then 2010 happened and Bev Perdue was forced to retire by having all of her budgets overridden and replaced with horseshit that kept the economy down so Mayor McCheese could have a clear path to power. And now it's 100% GOP so gently caress em.

This reminds me of when Massachusetts realized Governor Romney might be able to appoint Kerry's replacement if he won the Presidency, and revoked the governor's right to appoint replacement senators by a veto-proof majority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

evilweasel posted:

This reminds me of when Massachusetts realized Governor Romney might be able to appoint Kerry's replacement if he won the Presidency, and revoked the governor's right to appoint replacement senators by a veto-proof majority.

And then they gave the Governor that power again once Romney had left office :v:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

glowing-fish posted:

So basically it is like countries with a President/Prime Minister system, where the President is ceremonial and has a few official duties, but most of the wheeling and dealing is done by the Lieutenant Governor?

Sort of, but unlike a parliamentary system the Lieutenant Governor's party doesn't necessarily have a majority (edit: or at least isn't the head of a coalition or something) in the legislature.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Lt. Governor isn't the Governor. In Texas the Governor is a figurehead compared to the Lt., and you're looking at why.

Whoopsie, misread that.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Miltank posted:

what good is a veto that only need a simple majority to overrule? Its basically just symbolic at that point right?

At least in Indiana's case, the legislature is only in session for 3 months in even numbered years and 4-ish months in odd numbered years. Pretty hard to overrule a veto if the legislator has adjourned. And they HAVE to adjourn on a certain day every year. Sometimes you'll hear stories of a budget still being stapled together and a House Speaker will order his intern to stop the wall clocks to prevent them from hitting midnight.

They can always call a special session if they really wanna overrule something. But most of the time they just wait until the next year's session happens and address it then.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Joementum posted:

And then they gave the Governor that power again once Romney had left office :v:

Are you sure? Pretty sure we got Senator Scott Brown because they couldn't do that.

Speaking of Scott Brown, he has FINALLY announced....

...that he will announce his candidacy for Senate in New Hampshire next week.

quote:

MANCHESTER, N.H. —Former Massachusetts Sen. Scott Brown is on the verge of officially announcing a run for U.S. Senate in New Hampshire.

The Rye resident recently set up an exploratory committee for a possible run.

News 9 had confirmed he will officially join the race for U.S. Senate and plans an announcement as early as next week.

If Brown wins the Republican primary, he would face Sen. Jeanne Shaheen in the general election.

A formal announcement will come soon. No details or dates have been determined.

Oh Scott Brown you tease. We're just so tickled to have you around.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
edit: Never mind, I was confused about the appointment of Mo Cowan and forgot that Markey was a special election following that appointment.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 4, 2014

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

There was serious talk before Scott Brown got elected about reversing that law, but that was a little too cynical even for Massachusetts.

Whoops!

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

evilweasel posted:

There was serious talk before Scott Brown got elected about reversing that law, but that was a little too cynical even for Massachusetts.

Whoops!

Yeah that's what I remember too. Still, it all Warrened out in the end.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
At least we get to watch Scott Brown lose 2 elections in 2 years. That's fun.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
He will lose, correct? I mean, New Hampshire can't possibly fall for this barncoat-and-truck-everyman BS. It was exposed already, and I'm fairly sure that the NH media markets got saturated with it during our last Senate election.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

He will lose, correct? I mean, New Hampshire can't possibly fall for this barncoat-and-truck-everyman BS. It was exposed already, and I'm fairly sure that the NH media markets got saturated with it during our last Senate election.

Let us pray New Hampshire can smell the taint of Massachusetts on him. The president also pointed out not too long ago that Scott Brown voted with the president 70% of the time when he was Senator of Massachusetts.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Is it possible to be a trans-New England carpetbagger?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Alter Ego posted:

He's over 13 points down in the polls and Shaheen is pretty popular. He's a major longshot.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

SavageBastard posted:

They did change the law so that the vacancy would be filled during the pre-election period, which provided the crucial 60th vote for Obamacare in the Senate. People were grumpy about the about-face at the time, so it helped Brown a bit in the special election (not that it was a huge issue).

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

SedanChair posted:

Is it possible to be a trans-New England carpetbagger?

I think it depends on the direction. Going from city to country is a bit worse since it's usually under the guise of coming from the city to build a McMansion in a scenic place and in turn jack up property values on the locals, and property taxes are already very high (esp in NH). It's why my family left coastal RI.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Let us pray New Hampshire can smell the taint of Massachusetts on him. The president also pointed out not too long ago that Scott Brown voted with the president 70% of the time when he was Senator of Massachusetts.

If anyone could be considered consummate taint-smellers it's New Hampshire.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

notthegoatseguy posted:

At least in Indiana's case, the legislature is only in session for 3 months in even numbered years and 4-ish months in odd numbered years. Pretty hard to overrule a veto if the legislator has adjourned. And they HAVE to adjourn on a certain day every year. Sometimes you'll hear stories of a budget still being stapled together and a House Speaker will order his intern to stop the wall clocks to prevent them from hitting midnight.

The best setup is the states that have to adjourn by a certain date, and also if they don't pass a budget the state government shuts down. In Minnesota we've had multiple shutdowns over the past decade due to "hurrr TAXES" dickwaving between the legislature and the governor.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Alter Ego posted:

Shaheen is a popular, centrist Senator who was Governor for 2 or 3 terms before that so she isn't going to roll over easily. Turnout demographics are against her and Scott Brown has significant name recognition so the establishment partisans are obviously happy but his notoriety was an immediate boon to Shaheen who reportedly saw a massive uptick in contributions after he announced his pre-pre-announcement. It will be an interesting race.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

SavageBastard posted:

Shaheen is a popular, centrist Senator who was Governor for 2 or 3 terms before that so she isn't going to roll over easily. Turnout demographics are against her and Scott Brown has significant name recognition so the establishment partisans are obviously happy but his notoriety was an immediate boon to Shaheen who reportedly saw a massive uptick in contributions after he announced his pre-pre-announcement. It will be an interesting race.

This is all really interesting because wasn't one of the theories about this race that he was running in order to discharge campaign debt from Massachusetts, and not actually running a real campaign?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

According to the FEC, his campaign committee for US Senate in Massachusetts as of 12/31/2012, has no campaign debt.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

ErIog posted:

This is all really interesting because wasn't one of the theories about this race that he was running in order to discharge campaign debt from Massachusetts, and not actually running a real campaign?

Even if he had campaign debt this sounds like a cynical liberal myth to me. These people run for congress because they think they should be in congress and there are thousands of Republicans, some with giant piles of cash from other states, telling him "you are awesome we want you to run." What else has he got to do, anyway? That truck sure isn't hauling dirt.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bqhatevwr, Scott Brown forgot to tell the FEC that he's a Republican.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
This campaign has serious potential for dark comedy. Isn't Jeanne Shaheen Lebanese? Can't wait to hear ol' Scott call her a lesbian.

e: No, as it turns out, her husband Bill is Lebanese-American. Even better--Scott can accuse her of marrying a lesbian.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Alter Ego posted:

Isn't Jeanne Shaheen Lebanese?

Hmm, good question. Sounds like something the Boston Herald should look into.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Hmm, good question. Sounds like something the Boston Herald should look into.

The Herald wrote so many articles deriding "Squaw Warren"'s heritage that I think their editorial staff is all 12.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Alter Ego posted:

The Herald wrote so many articles deriding "Squaw Warren"'s heritage that I think their editorial staff is all 12.

They're going to have trouble topping their creation of Fauxcahontas and Lieawatha if they try to come up with portmanteaus to attack Shaheen.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I know the Herald is bad, but did they actually call her "squaw"? Because good god.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I know the Herald is bad, but did they actually call her "squaw"? Because good god.

It was pretty blatantly racist/offensive, and the Brown campaign did precisely zero to discourage that speech. Hell, they more or less outright encouraged it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's almost hard to believe Scott Brown is real sometimes. He's like the comically incompetent bad guy in a poorly written romantic comedy. I half expect some Adam Sandler character to run against him when he decides that he was really from Maine and moves there for the next election cycle.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
In the "loving Duh" section of the news, convicted criminal, noted liar, and pimp costume enthusiast James O'Keefe's video about Battleground Texas violating election laws was thrown out by the Republican special prosecutor.

"KXAN News posted:

AUSTIN (AP) — A state district judge has thrown out a complaint filed against the Democratic group Battleground Texas that was based on a conservative filmmaker’s video.

Special prosecutor John Economidy, a Republican, told The Associated Press that he and fellow special prosecutor Christine Del Prado, a Democrat, determined that Battleground Texas did not violate state election law by transcribing phone numbers submitted on voter registration forms. San Antonio Judge Raymond Angelini signed the dismissal without comment on Friday, Economidy added.

The inquiry began after conservative activist James O’Keefe and his group, Project Veritas, made a video that purported to show Battleground Texas workers talking about transcribing telephone numbers from voter registration cards they’d collected. O’Keefe said in the video that taking phone numbers violated Texas law, and Republican leaders, including Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, called for a criminal investigation.

Because Attorney General Greg Abbott and the Bexar County district attorney are running for re-election, the case was given to Economidy and Del Prado to investigate. The 18-page special prosecutor’s report found Battleground Texas’ activities were legal and in keeping with standard electioneering practices used by both political parties for decades.

“The Veritas video was little more than a canard and political disinformation,” the prosecutor’s report said. “The video was particularly unprofessional when it suggested that the actions of Battleground Texas were advocated by a Texas gubernatorial candidate and that the actions of a single volunteer deputy registrar may even involve private health data, which is not involved in the voter registration process.”

Angelini and Del Prado referred all questions to Economidy.

“We looked at the facts, we applied the law and the round object would not fit into the small square hole,” Economidy said. “The law is or it isn’t. It either fits or it doesn’t fit, and it didn’t fit one bit.”

Neither O’Keefe nor Project Veritas responded to emails seeking comment.

A spokesman for Battleground Texas promised to release a statement once the group has a chance to review the prosecutor’s report.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xarthor fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 8, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Still waiting for them to pull an Acorn and vilify this group anyway.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Does anything scare Republicans more than the possibility of a blue Texas?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
A black ______?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

It's almost hard to believe Scott Brown is real sometimes. He's like the comically incompetent bad guy in a poorly written romantic comedy. I half expect some Adam Sandler character to run against him when he decides that he was really from Maine and moves there for the next election cycle.

The guy barely knows which state he lives in, can't give him too much grief not remembering which political party he belongs to.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Roumba posted:

A black.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

OAquinas posted:

It was pretty blatantly racist/offensive, and the Brown campaign did precisely zero to discourage that speech. Hell, they more or less outright encouraged it.

They went so far as to stand outside Warren campaign events doing the tomahawk chop.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Alter Ego posted:

They went so far as to stand outside Warren campaign events doing the tomahawk chop.

They aren't exactly campaign geniuses-- they hired local homeless people in Boston to wear "Obama Voters for Brown" shirts and try to win the black vote.

Scott Brown did not win the black vote.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The guy barely knows which state he lives in, can't give him too much grief not remembering which political party he belongs to.

What I don't get is why he chose NH. That's a pretty intelligent state. Why not Florida? No one is actually from there and they'll elect criminals if they like old people enough and know the right lies to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

De Nomolos posted:

What I don't get is why he chose NH. That's a pretty intelligent state. Why not Florida? No one is actually from there and they'll elect criminals if they like old people enough and know the right lies to tell.

It's a lot easier for him to carpetbag his way into NH, which shares a lot of culture with Massachusetts but is considerably more conservative, than it is to go to a random state.

• Locked thread