Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

w00tmonger posted:

I don't have a snail problem right now, but when I went through this planted tank seminar it kept coming up.

Being a little 8 gallon, should I literally just be rocking whatever junk snails are in there right now? or should I be going out and getting some from the store? This is my first planted tank, so if there are any beginners mistakes that'll catch me up then I would love to know about them ahead of time.

Right now its literally just Shrimp and Otos, so I have a lot of room to work with. I think it would be sweet to have a predator/prey thing going on with assassin snails but I imagine that would be hard to balance long term.

I love Malaysian Trumpet Snails for planted tanks. If you don't overfeed they're awesome, and if they do get out of control, you can get totally awesome Assassin Snails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

w00tmonger posted:

I don't have a snail problem right now, but when I went through this planted tank seminar it kept coming up.

Being a little 8 gallon, should I literally just be rocking whatever junk snails are in there right now? or should I be going out and getting some from the store? This is my first planted tank, so if there are any beginners mistakes that'll catch me up then I would love to know about them ahead of time.

Right now its literally just Shrimp and Otos, so I have a lot of room to work with. I think it would be sweet to have a predator/prey thing going on with assassin snails but I imagine that would be hard to balance long term.

Congratulations! This means you do not have pest snails so no need for assassins. You can however buy any variety of nerite snails that will not result in a snail nightmare that requires predator snails. I would NOT buy nerites and add assassins just for the kicks of having a predator/prey game though as that is uncool. MTS snails are good as well and help out with the substrate, nerites are a good clean-up crew but neither warrant adding predators to kill them like bladder or pond snails which are hitchhikers that reproduce like mad.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

demonR6 posted:

Congratulations! This means you do not have pest snails so no need for assassins. You can however buy any variety of nerite snails that will not result in a snail nightmare that requires predator snails. I would NOT buy nerites and add assassins just for the kicks of having a predator/prey game though as that is uncool. MTS snails are good as well and help out with the substrate, nerites are a good clean-up crew but neither warrant adding predators to kill them like bladder or pond snails which are hitchhikers that reproduce like mad.

I actually rather like the little tadpole snails, they have interesting behaviour and are quite pretty up close.

I bought a Devil snail and a few amano shrimp the other day, put the bag in the tank, came back 10 minutes later to put a bit more water in it and the shrimp were all riding the snail who was incredibly slowly inching his way up the side of the bag.

World slowest jailbreak. :3:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My male Appisto has some mild pop-eye. I can set up a quarantine tank, but I'm not sure if I should stress out the fish. There's no damage to the cornea and he's eating like a pig. I'm worried it'll be damaged further if I chase him around with a net. What do y'all think? Salt bath or leave him alone and go to every other day water changes?

Fish so classy he grew a monocle.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Seed shrimp? Got a million of these little buggers all over the place, is there anything I can do to thin the herd?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Alright, so I just found what I assume are some bugs in our planted tank. What the hell am I seeing here? should I be doing anything about it?

I've spotted 2, and they are about the length of my cherry shrimp.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

Alright, so I just found what I assume are some bugs in our planted tank. What the hell am I seeing here? should I be doing anything about it?

I've spotted 2, and they are about the length of my cherry shrimp.

Those are probably some kind of damselfly nymph I think, they are predators so they may be capable of eating small fish and shrimp.
Dunno how they got into your fishtank though, either a damselfly got in through an open window and decided to lay her eggs in a nice warm buffet or they maybe came in with plants?

If they're native to your area it might be best to put them in a pond or stream as they can spend up to a year as nymphs.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

So I've been trying to get them out, and they're just being huge bitches about being caught.

Any tips and tricks? what happens if I leave them in the tank. Right now I just have shrimp and oto's in there...

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

w00tmonger posted:

So I've been trying to get them out, and they're just being huge bitches about being caught.

Any tips and tricks? what happens if I leave them in the tank. Right now I just have shrimp and oto's in there...

Try cutting the top off a small water bottle, reverse the top portion and push it back into the lower part. You can usually trick small fish and other critters into it by guiding them with a net or other tool. Usually works better than just a net for me.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Manslaughter posted:

Seed shrimp? Got a million of these little buggers all over the place, is there anything I can do to thin the herd?

Amphipods! Yay! Are they small enough for your fish to eat?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

durrneez posted:

Amphipods! Yay! Are they small enough for your fish to eat?
You know, I was gonna guess amphipod but didn't know if there were freshwater species.

Unrelated note, my fantail goldfish, which has been lethargic the last few days, has turned into a pinecone. Really wish I had started metronizadole when the lethargy began, because it's probably too late now. Fingers crossed.

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS
:toot:

Orson Welles, the striped raphael that's part of the cleanup crew for my 300 gallon pbass tank, tied for 3rd place today in an open-category bowl show hosted by our local aquarium society! I measured him while transferring him, and he is about 9.5 inches total length (TL). I'd say about 8 inches standard length (SL). These are, for reference, the little dark brown armored cats with cream lengthwise stripes that you normally see at 2-3 inches long in pet stores, which puts him pretty soundly in the 'I didn't realize they got that big' category for a lot of folks in my club. Some even mistook him for a baby redtail cat! :iiam:

For that sick goldfish, you may also want to add some epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) to the tank at about 1 tablespoon for 5 gallons to draw off some of the fluid from bloating. It won't cure it, but it will help your other treatments work better. Fingers crossed for you!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Fusillade posted:

For that sick goldfish, you may also want to add some epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) to the tank at about 1 tablespoon for 5 gallons to draw off some of the fluid from bloating. It won't cure it, but it will help your other treatments work better. Fingers crossed for you!
Salt was actually move number one, followed by the metro. Unfortunately, he passed very rapidly. Dropsy is a real son of a bitch.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And by the time they pinecone so you can make an accurate diagnosis, it's way, way too late. Sorry to hear.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
These guys are getting longer each time I find them

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gross. Will your betta eat it?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

He has eaten the smaller ones, but this one was a bit too big.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
'Sup guys, you might recall me from the previous thread as the one who inherited a tank with every single fish on the "terrible beginner fish" list :v: Anyway, the convict problem was improved somewhat by... natural attrition and the remaining ones got along well enough with the pleco, blue acara, and clown loaches. Since then I've gotten a quarantine tank and some tiger barbs to keep the loaches company and an acara to replace a fallen one.

This also allowed me to get some plants without risking a snail or some other infestation. However despite reading a bunch of stuff about this I'm a bit uncertain about a few issues:
  • The duckweed I got is getting spun around the tank by the current from the filter. I'm assuming that's not very good for it? I'm not really sure what I can do about this short of turning off the filter, as there's likely to be movement on the surface regardless of where I direct the stream.
  • The anubias came in a little basket/bucket thingie, should I keep it in it, or replant directly into the sand?
  • Some of the vallisneria plants I got are having trouble staying put as the roots obviously don't spread around immediately. Are they safe to bury a bit more than just the root level? Any other options?

In a different matter, it seems that pH and KH are a bit on the low end. I've seen baking soda recommended as a solution - can I just dump some into the tank, or add with the next water change?

Kharnifex posted:

He has eaten the smaller ones, but this one was a bit too big.
Can you make several smaller ones out of that one big ugly fucker?

Fusillade posted:

Orson Welles, the striped raphael that's part of the cleanup crew for my 300 gallon pbass tank, tied for 3rd place today in an open-category bowl show hosted by our local aquarium society!
Congrats! I didn't even know fish beauty competitions were even a thing :)

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
As a rule, most aquarium plants are fine with a bit of abuse. The vallisneria should be fine and once it gets a foothold you'll probably have loads of it. Anubias work fine tied to a rock or piece of driftwood. They'll adhere in about a month's time and they'll work their roots down on their own accord.

Duckweed...I don't know that there's anything short of trying to keep it in a tank of round-up that would hurt it. It can clog up the intake on your filter though, so maybe put a sponge or some pantyhose over it.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Can you make several smaller ones out of that one big ugly fucker?

Yeap! and I think they can split and become viable bristleworms too.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
So I went out of town for two days, and came back to two dead Bolivian Rams. Water is normal and no ammonia, with all the other fish (including the last Bolivian) in the tank looking and acting normal. Guess I'll just have to watch the tank and see if I can see any other fish come down with something. It's too bad, they had really gotten colorful since I got them a few months ago.

E: Looks like the mystery apisto is the culprit. He's been constantly chasing the other Ram, so my hunch is he ran the other two to death.

Bait and Swatch fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 7, 2014

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Fusillade posted:

Orson Welles, the striped raphael that's part of the cleanup crew for my 300 gallon pbass tank, tied for 3rd place today in an open-category bowl show hosted by our local aquarium society! I measured him while transferring him, and he is about 9.5 inches total length (TL). I'd say about 8 inches standard length (SL). These are, for reference, the little dark brown armored cats with cream lengthwise stripes that you normally see at 2-3 inches long in pet stores, which puts him pretty soundly in the 'I didn't realize they got that big' category for a lot of folks in my club. Some even mistook him for a baby redtail cat! :iiam:

Please say you got pictures.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm one final thing - now that I have a quarantine tank, is anyone reusing theirs for something else while it's not needed? It seems like a waste to keep empty and it'd be fun for something I can't put into the main tank without getting eaten immediately - shrimp, crabs or snails perhaps. Or even the tiny frogs that I saw recently... Once needed for its purpose, they could be temporarily relocated to a split off section of the main tank, a bucket, or fed to the fish, I guess. Just not sure how feasible this is to pull off in practice.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Hmm one final thing - now that I have a quarantine tank, is anyone reusing theirs for something else while it's not needed? It seems like a waste to keep empty and it'd be fun for something I can't put into the main tank without getting eaten immediately - shrimp, crabs or snails perhaps. Or even the tiny frogs that I saw recently... Once needed for its purpose, they could be temporarily relocated to a split off section of the main tank, a bucket, or fed to the fish, I guess. Just not sure how feasible this is to pull off in practice.
You could probably come up with something, but it'd be tricky. A lot of medications that would be used are lethal to inverts. You could set it up as a plant grow out tank I suppose.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

[Double post]

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
@ w00tmonger - if those are damselflies, you've got some really clean water! That's kind of astounding. When I was working with a watershed reclamation group, we used damselflies as kind of a marker for determining stream health.

That bristleworm is terrifying looking. Is that a common thing to find?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

RedTonic posted:

@ w00tmonger - if those are damselflies, you've got some really clean water! That's kind of astounding. When I was working with a watershed reclamation group, we used damselflies as kind of a marker for determining stream health.

Sweet, does that mean I can consider myself not an idiot fish-wise?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I can't speak to that, but at least it means your water quality is pretty solid! So it's probably good if that's the type of water your fish like, haha.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

You always want something in the QT to keep the filter healthy. I would suggest Malaysian Trumpet Snails, but I suggest those for everything, so uhm... Something hardy and fast. Zebra Danios?

Zandorv
Nov 22, 2011

So, I recently got a batch of cherry barbs, and I've noticed that a few of them look a bit... Odd. There's one male that is a really, really deep red and almost looks black with how dark he is. I'm not really worried about his health, but I'm a bit puzzled. Is this normal?

On to the ones I am a bit worried about. There's a female with what looks like a zit or some sort of tiny tumor on her bottom lip, and there's a male with a similar problem, except that he just looks like he has a swollen lip- like he got punched in the mouth or something- instead of a round bulge. When I inspected the male, it looked like his lip had started bleeding a little. Does anyone know if I should be worried and what might be wrong with them?

Edit: pictures

The female:

The male:

Zandorv fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 8, 2014

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Anyone know of a good LFS in San Diego to pick up some good rocks/interesting driftwood for a hard scape? I've looked at petkingdom down in sports arena but never found much good there. Alternatively, what online sites do you use that don't charge an arm and a leg?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Spikes32 posted:

Anyone know of a good LFS in San Diego to pick up some good rocks/interesting driftwood for a hard scape? I've looked at petkingdom down in sports arena but never found much good there. Alternatively, what online sites do you use that don't charge an arm and a leg?

What type of fish are you looking for? If cichlids, try http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/

Edit: Just realized I may be an idiot if you meant what site to buy hardscape from. If true, just ignore me.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

RedTonic posted:

Well various forum posts seem to say they are rare, doesn't seem that way.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Spikes32 posted:

Aquatic Warehouse had some good stuff the last time I was up there, especially if you're looking for decent smaller pieces.

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS

Desert Bus posted:

Please say you got pictures.

I do have pics of the other show entrants too, but I suspect you're interested in Orson. This isn't the best pic, but the others do not have him in scale with anything. I showed him in a standard 5 gallon tank (I will do a 10 next time!!!), which is 8" wide by 16" long. You can see the other edge of the tank on the bottom of the photo. I didn't photograph him with a tape measure, so "noticeably longer than 8 inches" will have to do for his official size. ;)

Fusillade fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 9, 2014

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I got a new friend.

A very lovely veiltailed male red/white Ryukin. He's already got his breeding tubercles. I think my other fish is a female and I love her extra huge hump. I think they would make nice babies together.

edit: nope other fish is a male too. drat.

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 10, 2014

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Kharnifex posted:

These guys are getting longer each time I find them

You know that pic in your avatar??

Zandorv
Nov 22, 2011

After a few days of things progressing, the fish's symptoms seem to indicate some sort of bacterial infection. The water parameters are still good, and I suspect the stress came from the fact that I had 4 male and 2 female cherry barbs in the tank for a week. They were all chasing each other around constantly. I ordered 4 females and 2 males, but the people who ship them messed up and gave me the reverse. So now I'm just hoping it doesn't spread to all my fish. All these medications are going to murder my bio-filter...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Shakenbaker posted:

As a rule, most aquarium plants are fine with a bit of abuse. The vallisneria should be fine and once it gets a foothold you'll probably have loads of it. Anubias work fine tied to a rock or piece of driftwood. They'll adhere in about a month's time and they'll work their roots down on their own accord.

Duckweed...I don't know that there's anything short of trying to keep it in a tank of round-up that would hurt it. It can clog up the intake on your filter though, so maybe put a sponge or some pantyhose over it.

Green slime killed my duckweed. All of it. The few pieces I tossed in my pond bloomed like crazy. Now with different and less lighting the slime died out so I may add some duckweed again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The duckweed doesn't give a poo poo, but my vallisneria isn't doing so hot, the leaves are just kind of disintegrating:

Any ideas? I've seen the clown loach poking the leaves but it didn't look like anyone was actually eating them. All other plants and fish look ok, although the adult blue acara's hanging out on the bottom of the tank a bit more than I like.