Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh FFX-2, you are so much bullshit crammed into such a little package. I'm ignoring percentage this play through but I completely forget the game is totally ok with locking you out of jobs if you fail to do certain side-quests in chapter 1 which has I think one section where you're allowed to actually go to the airship and do what you're want.

Then you gotta play guess what Kimhari is thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Barudak posted:

Oh FFX-2, you are so much bullshit crammed into such a little package. I'm ignoring percentage this play through but I completely forget the game is totally ok with locking you out of jobs if you fail to do certain side-quests in chapter 1 which has I think one section where you're allowed to actually go to the airship and do what you're want.

Then you gotta play guess what Kimhari is thinking.

Easier to play Guess What Kimhari is Thinking than to play "guess which of 3 random advertising lines you need to give to EVERY NPC in the World" for some later quest. Luckily, I don't think that one locks you out of a garment. Man, X-2 has a lot of terrible "minigames" and not nearly enough of its pretty great battle system.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

precision posted:

e: lotta people who want to replay FFX hating FFX in here

Because FFX actually has a good game beneath all of those cutscenes? Like is this seriously a hard thing to understand that people have seen the story already and don't care to go through all of these cutscenes again to play it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Easier to play Guess What Kimhari is Thinking than to play "guess which of 3 random advertising lines you need to give to EVERY NPC in the World" for some later quest. Luckily, I don't think that one locks you out of a garment. Man, X-2 has a lot of terrible "minigames" and not nearly enough of its pretty great battle system.

So very many god awful minigames with random and arbitrary awards. Many of which involve walking through dungeons to find a thing. Or guessing what 10 NPCs are thinking or lose your shirt to guarantee getting the blue-mage job.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Because FFX actually has a good game beneath all of those cutscenes? Like is this seriously a hard thing to understand that people have seen the story already and don't care to go through all of these cutscenes again to play it.

Yeah, this, FFX is one of my favorite JRPGs ever and I could replay it a thousand times but nobody wants to be forced to see the same cutscene over and over again simply for failing to defeat a boss. The final boss is one of the prime examples, since he's rather difficult to beat unless you have Anima.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

Yeah, this, FFX is one of my favorite JRPGs ever and I could replay it a thousand times but nobody wants to be forced to see the same cutscene over and over again simply for failing to defeat a boss. The final boss is one of the prime examples, since he's rather difficult to beat unless you have Anima.

The difference between having celestial weapons and not having them is so, so horribly apparent on that boss. Without it you never use talk until he dips below 60k health and then you have a mad dash to deal 60k before he can drop his limit on the party.

With one I had Auron deal 78k damage in a single swing and Jecht got literally two turns off.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Mog posted:

The final boss is one of the prime examples, since he's rather difficult to beat unless you have Anima.

...what? No way. I did no grinding, had no Celestial Weapons or Anima, nobody had Break Damage Limit, I just had Yuna with Auto-Haste and Doublecast, cast like 12 Ultimas before anything happened, won. And that story works if you're referring to Giant Jecht or Ladybug God, they both just died quick and extremely easy deaths.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Is it? I mean I liked replaying it, but outside of the cutscenes you're just running down corridors (just like in FF13, everyone's Most Hated FF) until literally the last dungeon when you finally have an airship and freedom to do sidequests (all but Monster Catching pretty much require crazy amounts of grinding). The battle system is good but so under-utilized it's hilarious; almost every random encounter can be won before the enemies get a chance to do anything at all (other than maybe a little damage). The boss fights are all either "remember this one gimmick so you don't lose" or "just beat him up and heal".

I mean, now it sounds like I don't like the game, but I do, a lot, I just really don't see how the actual gameplay is particularly good by FF or any standard. Run forward, fight popcorn mobs, watch conversations, repeat; that's the whole game. FF9, 12, 13, 13-2 have much more interesting gameplay to me.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

precision posted:

...what? No way. I did no grinding, had no Celestial Weapons or Anima, nobody had Break Damage Limit, I just had Yuna with Auto-Haste and Doublecast, cast like 12 Ultimas before anything happened, won. And that story works if you're referring to Giant Jecht or Ladybug God, they both just died quick and extremely easy deaths.

I had 4,000 HP Yuna & Lulu both with Doublecast doing 9,999 damage each spell and it still took me four tries. I must've been doing something way wrong then. He was the first boss that actually gave me a poo poo ton of trouble. I wound up defeating him eventually by summoning Bahamut twice and doing 40,000-ish damage each time.

So now it's onward to the much more fun FFX-2, I guess!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Mog posted:

I had 4,000 HP Yuna & Lulu both with Doublecast doing 9,999 damage each spell and it still took me four tries. I must've been doing something way wrong then.

Did either of them have Haste/Auto-Haste? Maybe it's something to do with the Expert Grid, because my Yuna ended up having a crap ton of Agility in the first place, and I don't remember if that happens on the Normal Grid or not.

Seymour Flux was a giant pain in my rear end, but every other boss was really, really easy. But I'm used to that, FF12 is the only one I'd really say is "hard" (and the last dungeon of FF3, gently caress that place).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

So now it's onward to the much more fun FFX-2, I guess!

This might not be an accurate statement; there is a fun combat system buried under an avalanche of really stupid things.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Barudak posted:

This might not be an accurate statement; there is a fun combat system buried under an avalanche of really stupid things.

I only dislike X-2 when I'm trying to get 100%. When I'm just playing through and enjoying it for its complete campy absurdity, it's much more fun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the non-100% ending is better anyway

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Is it? I mean I liked replaying it, but outside of the cutscenes you're just running down corridors (just like in FF13, everyone's Most Hated FF) until literally the last dungeon when you finally have an airship and freedom to do sidequests (all but Monster Catching pretty much require crazy amounts of grinding). The battle system is good but so under-utilized it's hilarious; almost every random encounter can be won before the enemies get a chance to do anything at all (other than maybe a little damage). The boss fights are all either "remember this one gimmick so you don't lose" or "just beat him up and heal".

I mean, now it sounds like I don't like the game, but I do, a lot, I just really don't see how the actual gameplay is particularly good by FF or any standard. Run forward, fight popcorn mobs, watch conversations, repeat; that's the whole game. FF9, 12, 13, 13-2 have much more interesting gameplay to me.

This isn't even true though. Even in its relative strict linearity, FFX's environments are fairly sprawling, widely spread apart with numerous side areas packed with side characters, treasure, and hidden cutscenes. You're rewarded for going off the beaten trail even if it isn't clear you CAN, and with the addition of the Expert Grid, the leveling system is legitimately open-ended and provides ample opportunity to really craft your own custom builds of each character, adding tons of value and replayability.

FF13 demonstrates what happens when you do FFX wrong, because FFX demonstrates how you do it right. Your complaint about the difficulty has some merit, but I think the game's challenge picks up quite nicely by the Macalania Woods, and Mount Gagazet is a slog for anyone. The game paces itself pretty well, and has a lot of memorable boss encounters, especially near the end, that are quite challenging as well. It's not trying to be a Dark Souls game, and I'd find it hard to argue that the game's battles are ever boring. In fact, the relative ease of the battles is something of a challenge in its own right, since now you have to kind of work a bit to find excuses to bring in multiple characters per battle to level them evenly.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Honestly, FF games in general are all pretty linear until the last act or in the case of FF8 and 9, right before the last act. It's like BottledBodhisvata said, it's all about how well they mask the linearity. You get the airship pretty drat quick in FFIII and IV, but they still railroad you by basically turning everywhere else in the game world into a bunch of NPCs telling you how nice their town is or wondering who the hell you are and why you're in their castle taking their Sleep Blade or what have you.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Schwartzcough posted:

You should definitely check it out. The demo isn't even all that great, but the game itself is a lot of fun. But it takes a while for some people to really get into it, so some advice:
1. Don't sweat the time limit. Really. For some reason, several of the first missions you're introduced to give you very little guidance on what you're supposed to do or where to find things, and this makes people panic about the time they're losing. But this becomes less common as you find more quests, and you should really have more than enough time to do all the main quests and most or all of the subquests. Just use the Chronostasis ability to freeze time whenever you're in areas with monsters (killing them restores your EP you use for Chronostasis).

2. Don't just hang out in the first city. Go out and start exploring the other 3 main regions. The starting city is probably the most boring and visually unappealing, and there's no real reason to try and do all the quests there first. The game is really non-linear, so just go wherever and start doing quests, shopping for new outfits, and killing the local wildlife for new skills.

I can heartily recommend it from a game play perspective now that I've gotten over the horrible first few hours of story line. The combat is really fun, and the pace of the game vis a vis the time limit is pretty good. Despite the time limit it feels like a much more chilled out game compared to the previous two. Once you get past the first day you can just chronostasis everywhere and do everything with enough time to go get an ice cream or something.

Ignore the cutscenes, make the story your own. My lightning Returns is about a former Turk who got kicked out of the organisation for being too sarcastic and now devotes her time and energy to wiping out indigenous species and going SHOPPING!!!

EDIT: I'm aware I ribbed the poo poo out of the game barely a few days ago, but the storyline got a lot more bearable once Hope stopped preaching at me about Bhunalveze every five seconds and actually just helped me with my quest. 'Hi I'm hope, I was an annoying kid who became a pretty tolerable adult and I live in a world where noone ages. Apart from me, i'm a kid again. Don't know why, but now you get to enjoy the worst of both worlds with me!!' - Great idea Squenix

Polite Tim fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 8, 2014

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I don't think I'll ever understand how people have such a hard time getting the Sun Sigil. I've done that part of the game maybe 3 or 4 times, most recently earlier today on the remake, and it's never taken me more than 15 minutes tops? Are you guys just really bad at pressing arrow keys? :confused:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

I don't think I'll ever understand how people have such a hard time getting the Sun Sigil. I've done that part of the game maybe 3 or 4 times, most recently earlier today on the remake, and it's never taken me more than 15 minutes tops? Are you guys just really bad at pressing arrow keys? :confused:

Its 100% luck if you get the correct set up (if you can't collect at least 4 balloons on the starting drive you've already failed) and the controls aren't exactly fantastic. Even doing optimal patterns through the mess of poo poo birds I haven't been able to get lower than 2.7 after about an hour of attempts. Childhood me had the fortune of just gamesharking that poo poo when I got pissed off but here we are in 2014 and I can't so I just gave up.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

That part never gave me problems either. To this day I can't do the lightning dodge (I don't have the patience for it), and usually get a friend to do it, but the chocobo race I usually get done in 2 or 3 tries.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I decided to hold off on replaying FFX-2 so I can finally finish 13-2 because I really want to play Lightning Returns from what I've heard and seen.

Goddamn I forgot how gorgeous 13-2 is. :stare: Somehow I didn't even remember it runs in 1080p.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

precision posted:

I decided to hold off on replaying FFX-2 so I can finally finish 13-2 because I really want to play Lightning Returns from what I've heard and seen.

Goddamn I forgot how gorgeous 13-2 is. :stare: Somehow I didn't even remember it runs in 1080p.

That framerate, though. And it gets down to single digits in Lightning Returns.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

When I was younger I did chocobo run for all of my friends. Now they're replaying it and they still can't do it. I even did the dodging for a friend and he just told me he did 300 in a row on FFXHD because they still don't tell you how many you've done.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

precision posted:

It doesn't, it's just 720p with a built-in upscaler, which is unusual for PS3 games. That's probably so they could have 1080p FMV videos without having to switch modes. Just look at the horrible dithering used for transparencies like foliage, and the characters' hair and eyelashes.

Thankfully they switched to proper transparency for Lightning Returns, but neither of the sequels are anywhere near as smooth as XIII for the most part. You'd think it was because the engine was terrible for anything but narrow corridors and skyboxes, but it actually ran fine in Gran Pulse, where there was a huge draw distance, enemies running about, and three party members on screen. XIII-2 couldn't even run that well with two party members and enemies just popping up when you trigger a random encounter.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think 13 looks far better than its sequel, pixel numbers be damned; 13-2's environments for the most part are just far more boring. Ironically, the other word you usually pair boring with ("lifeless") does NOT apply for 13-2, of course. 13-2 has too many rocky plains with different filters for me to really call it visually impressive. I far prefer it as a game, mind.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Simply Simon posted:

I think 13 looks far better than its sequel, pixel numbers be damned; 13-2's environments for the most part are just far more boring. Ironically, the other word you usually pair boring with ("lifeless") does NOT apply for 13-2, of course. 13-2 has too many rocky plains with different filters for me to really call it visually impressive. I far prefer it as a game, mind.

13-2 is basically made entirely out of 13's assets, a lot of them seemingly left over or cut from the original product. 13 IS probably one of teh prettiest looking games in ages, but at least 13-2 IS a game.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I was looking up info on Theatrhythm: Curtain Call (I never know if I'm spelling that title right), and I just want to say, I am kind of unreasonably happy Barret is going to be in the game. Plus, he's the most adorable widdle guy:

More of these 'throw characters from every game into a big mish-mash' games need the less expected characters; it keeps it exciting. I understand they're like the main guys, and very popular, but by the sixth appearance of 'Cloud, Sephiroth, Tifa, Aerith' or 'Squall, Seifer, Rinoa' or 'Yuna, Rikku, Paine' etc., it gets kinda boring.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

I was looking up info on Theatrhythm: Curtain Call (I never know if I'm spelling that title right), and I just want to say, I am kind of unreasonably happy Barret is going to be in the game. Plus, he's the most adorable widdle guy:

More of these 'throw characters from every game into a big mish-mash' games need the less expected characters; it keeps it exciting. I understand they're like the main guys, and very popular, but by the sixth appearance of 'Cloud, Sephiroth, Tifa, Aerith' or 'Squall, Seifer, Rinoa' or 'Yuna, Rikku, Paine' etc., it gets kinda boring.

Waite, Paine gets included a bunch? That'd be like slapping Orange the Orange in some of these games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

Waite, Paine gets included a bunch? That'd be like slapping Orange the Orange in some of these games.
She doesn't. She's in the new Theatherhythm and a couple of poo poo mobile games, that's it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She's also in KH2, but it's the most cameo of cameos.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Orgia Carnaval posted:

She's also in KH2, but it's the most cameo of cameos.
And Yuna specifically calls herself, Rikku, and Paine unimportant. :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

She doesn't. She's in the new Theatherhythm and a couple of poo poo mobile games, that's it.

Yeah, I thought I was going crazy here because Paine is in very little. Which is kind of fair for her character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I actually like Paine a lot. She has a decent arc over the course of the game and balances out Yuna and Rikku pretty well.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

BottledBodhisvata posted:

13-2 is basically made entirely out of 13's assets, a lot of them seemingly left over or cut from the original product. 13 IS probably one of teh prettiest looking games in ages, but at least 13-2 IS a game.
I know - the point is that it kind of shows why they chose to cut these assets. Most of them are just plain less exciting looking than many of the things in 13. (also would be harder to make into corridors :laugh:)

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Barudak posted:

Eh, maybe that was a bad example. I do remember their pointless 'cameo for the sake of a cameo' part in KH2, but she's shown up in cameos more than other characters.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Paine is Squall if Squall were actually as cool as he thinks he is.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

She's pretty much in the same boat as Delita and Ramza. Some of the mobile games, Theatrhythm, and those FF card games that are pretty much only available in Japan.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

precision posted:

You're going to have to explain that one. She's exactly as cool as a character with crippling self-image problems thinks he is? Seems like she wouldn't be very cool at all then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not that I can think of? For one of the main characters of a direct sequel, she's been in a very small amount. Even tertiary leads like Balthier have been in way more. Not to mention Kingdom Hearts is like 90% cameos for the sake of cameos.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

She's pretty much in the same boat as Delita and Ramza. Some of the mobile games, Theatrhythm, and those FF card games that are pretty much only available in Japan.

Better representation than whatever the hell their names were from FFTA 1/2. Mewt. There I remembered one of their names.

precision posted:

Squall doesn't think he's cool at all though? Like, he wants to be a big boring follows the rules authority figure and can't pull it off.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

Better representation than whatever the hell their names were from FFTA 1/2. Mewt. There I remembered one of their names.

Yeah. The A1/2 crowd have only shown up in the trading card game, except Luso. Who has a grand total of one cameo, in Tactics: WotL.

I did remember one sort of obscure game Paine was in though. She was one of the FF characters in 'Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special'. That one also includes some other underrepresented characters, Vivi and Eiko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eiko and Vivi are gonna be in the new Theaterhythm, too! Maybe they're just a set. :v: