Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Eric Holder is casting aspersions on Louie Gohmert's asparagus again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay9eThmzp1Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Haha he's had it with that piece of poo poo.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Joementum posted:

What's the context here? Regardless, that's funny as hell.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Some more on the Federal Reserve system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJN9rC1OBZk

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

zoux posted:

It might also be instructive to point out that the number one single holder of US debt is...the US government :monocle:

The SSA holds its surplus in the form of treasury bonds, which are as good as cash and probably the safest place to keep liquid assets to protect long term value.

In point of fact, the number one holder of U.S. debt is...US. Us. We. Every citizen of America is owed and owes that debt. It's a loan to ourselves, like borrowing from your 401k. Which is exactly what we've done and exactly how it was intended to work.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

What's the context here? Regardless, that's funny as hell.

Context is that Gohmert is a simpering jackass, with whom Holder has just about had it.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

I think the real motivation is a lot more along the lines of "I would really like my three Krugerrands to be worth way, way more than they are now, so I become rich without effort." I have heard, seriously, that the idea is that they'll just say the US owns 800 tons of gold, or whatever, and that now the dollar is backed 100% by those 800 tons of gold, making the price of gold completely ridiculous.

It says a lot that a country with large gold holdings gave up the standard in the 1920s.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A simple video on "Social Security is Broke" lie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vobUF1jJdls

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ColoradoCleric posted:

A simple video on "Social Security is Broke" lie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vobUF1jJdls

What's this guy's creds? I just like to check someone out when they completely agree with me to make sure they are actually qualified.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

What's this guy's creds? I just like to check someone out when they completely agree with me to make sure they are actually qualified.

Welcome to not the Republican party. I think you just stated the exact definition.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

I dunno probably found him through the schitt report on youtube but its pretty much true.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

You forgot the money shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTOCih4ZAAE

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Well now there's probably no chance that Gohmert will work in a bipartisan fashion with the administration. And they were so close! :ohdear:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Anyone else disappointed that the Holder hearing didn't devolve into "hey I'm not your buddy pal"?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Joementum posted:

Why did I read the comments?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ChaosSamusX posted:

Why did I read the comments?

Those are some of the most tame comments I've seen, to be honest.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

So when Ronpaul says end the fed he really means he wants to return minting/printing powers to Congress e.g. him, before he retired to be Ronquixote, tilter at windmills.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Jeb is the perfect modern Republican candidate, because he simultaneously politically credible and also horrible and grotesque beyond all possible parody.

That's what I meant. Thanks for condensing my post for me.

edit: catching up

SedanChair posted:

Dubya was no idiot...Bush is smarter than Obama

Sure Bush was an idiot.

He was an idiot man child, born of privilege, who was practically handed the presidency as a birthright and did almost every single thing when he was in office absolutely wrong. This was after failing at every thing he tried to do to before that despite being required to to nothing other than not the wreck the very expensive car that he was handed the keys to and, if he does what he's told, he gets to keep his allowance and continue driving it. The man drove baseball teams and oil companies into the ground for Christ sake.

Of course a lot of those wrong decisions he made were controlled and mandated by the people that put him there and really called the shots, bit come the gently caress on. GWb was a national embarrassment on the world stage for 8 years and got a free pass for 4 of them because of 9/11.

You're seriously going to try and convince me that Bush is more intelligent, introspective and thoughtful than Barrack Obama?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 8, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Bush isn't stupid, but he's lazy and incurious because he's never had to work for anything in his life.

In other news, Chris Christie really can't take being criticized by women, even in jest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULEh3XRtOF0

quote:

Joy Behar, the former co-host of “The View,” was even more pointed. “When I first heard that he was accused of blocking off three lanes on the bridge, I said, ‘What the hell is he doing, standing in the middle of the bridge?” After another barb, Christie interrupted her. “This is a Byrne roast,” he said. He stood up and tried to grab her notes. The audience laughed awkwardly. “Stop bullying me,” Behar said as he sat down. Christie said something out of earshot and Behar responded, “Why don’t you get up here at the microphone instead of being such a coward?” Christie stood up again and moved in front of the lectern as Behar retreated.  “At least I don’t get paid for this,” he said.

Christie sat down and Behar continued, though she was noticeably rattled. “I really don’t know about the Presidency,” she said. “Let me put it to you this way, in a way that you’d appreciate: You’re toast.”

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

BiggerBoat posted:

You're seriously going to try and convince me that Bush is more intelligent, introspective and thoughtful than Barrack Obama?

But he responded to rehearsed debate questions without vomiting on his shoes!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I can start a "The Rehabilitation of Dubya" thread when I get off work if that makes sense.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

FAUXTON posted:

So when Ronpaul says end the fed he really means he wants to return minting/printing powers to Congress e.g. him, before he retired to be Ronquixote, tilter at windmills.

That, and possibly ending the Jewish conspiracy, he's an old school racist.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

SedanChair posted:

I can start a "The Rehabilitation of Dubya" thread when I get off work if that makes sense.

Honestly his range of lucidity being rooted in varying levels of self-medication would make a lot of sense.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FAUXTON posted:

He has large holdings of gold, if you turned gold back into money somehow he'd instantly be a titan of industry.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Context is that Gohmert is a simpering jackass, with whom Holder has just about had it.

He is retiring later this year anyways, why deal with it? Stress already put him in the hospital once a few months ago

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Speaking of Ron Paul, the amazing 2007 RON PAUL Helldump thread seems to have vanished from the Comedy Goldmine. :confused:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

He is retiring later this year anyways, why deal with it? Stress already put him in the hospital once a few months ago

You're probably thinking of Steve Stockman. Gohmert is on the ballot for 2014.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

StandardVC10 posted:

Speaking of Ron Paul, the amazing 2007 RON PAUL Helldump thread seems to have vanished from the Comedy Goldmine. :confused:

It got moved into the Helldump goldmine.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

That must be why I couldn't find it, I knew that's where it was but I couldn't find a link to the Helldump goldmine subforum.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

You're probably thinking of Steve Stockman. Gohmert is on the ballot for 2014.

I was speaking of Holder

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Dubya was no idiot.

-Post-9/11 imperial overreach was systemic, the product of institutional collusion between neocons and their plants in State, Defense, CIA etc. Bush just signed off on it. Gore would have gotten us into Afghanistan and I think it's possible that flagging popularity could have caused him to go into Iraq as well (remember that Clinton did more than anyone else to destroy Iraq pre-Bush)

-Bush is smarter than Obama, and more polished and eloquent than Obama in off-the-cuff situations. Judgments of him as dumb or slow are due entirely to his regional accent and image (which he cultivated masterfully)

-Bush had massive charisma, different than Obama's but still evident, and unprecedented emotional/relational intelligence

Beliefs like yours ("Bush was dumb") will pave the way for someone with his talents to blindside us yet again.

Why do you think Gore would have gone to war in the middle east and what are you referring to when you say Clinton damaged Iraq more than anyone else before him?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Nf3 posted:

Why do you think Gore would have gone to war in the middle east and what are you referring to when you say Clinton damaged Iraq more than anyone else before him?

Clinton he is talking about the sanctions. Afghanistan well once 911 happened retaliation was a foregone conclusion. The questionable assumption there is that 911 still would have happened. Clinton was aggressively pursuing Bin Laden in the 90s and Gore would have continued those defensive policies instead of gearing up for invading Iraq the day after the decision and pushing a defense policy targeting China like Bush did until the attacks. Keeping the focus on anti-terror and AQ instead of that shift at a minimum improves the odds of stopping it. Whether it would have been enough we can never know.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's a good point. But apprehending bin Laden wouldn't have stopped 9/11. Apprehending KSM might have but there was little institutional pressure to do so. And I'm not sure Gore would have been any more inclined to follow up on Clinton's counter-terror moves than Bush was; remember how much Gore had distanced himself from Clinton and, justifiably or not, Clinton's interventions had acquired a strong "wag the dog" flavor.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

You know what? Maybe we don't need equal pay for women. That might be condescending.

quote:

Rep. Lynn Jenkins (R-Kan.), the GOP conference's vice chair, made her comments flanked by her fellow leaders in the House at their weekly news conference, and suggested that the campaign for equal pay for equal work reflects a lack of understanding of women's contributions to the workforce.

If we only understood women better, maybe we could see why they deserve to make less money.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Anyone else disappointed that the Holder hearing didn't devolve into "hey I'm not your buddy pal"?

Don't call me pal, sport.

ColoradoCleric posted:

He has large holdings of gold, if you turned gold back into money somehow he'd instantly be a titan of industry.

And, if I remember right, is heavily invested in gold mining/exploration/futures as well. Another example, of course, of just what a ~*principled statesman*~ was the Doctor Congressman.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Don't call me pal, sport.

Don't call me sport, chief.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And, if I remember right, is heavily invested in gold mining/exploration/futures as well. Another example, of course, of just what a ~*principled statesman*~ was the Doctor Congressman.

Someone once made the good point to me that these sorts of relationships go both ways - if you're heavily invested in gold, that's a heck of an incentive to think that a gold standard is a good policy, but then again, if you actually sincerely believe that a gold standard is a good policy, investing in gold is just putting your money where your mouth is.

That said, I'm not really inclined to give Ron "Crazy Uncle Liberty" Paul the benefit of the doubt here. But it's worth thinking about in similar situations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Zombie Samurai posted:

You know what? Maybe we don't need equal pay for women. That might be condescending.

If we only understood women better, maybe we could see why they deserve to make less money.
I'm continually amazed by how no amount of cynicism can prepare me for reality. Hearing other Republican sound bites earlier today was absolute proof to me. Allowing people to talk about their pay (only not really because they'd be fired anyway but let's forget reality and run with this) would have placed an 'undue burden' on businesses and 'inhibit their freedoms'. People talking is an undue burden? How does someone even manage that with a straight face? The freedom for businesses to do what, rear end in a top hat? Say it. Just say it you god drat empty suits, the freedom to gently caress over the 99% for a buck then flee the country once everything is burnt to ashes.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You could say that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4QbJ3phEYs

(source thread)

Jackson Taus posted:

Someone once made the good point to me that these sorts of relationships go both ways - if you're heavily invested in gold, that's a heck of an incentive to think that a gold standard is a good policy, but then again, if you actually sincerely believe that a gold standard is a good policy, investing in gold is just putting your money where your mouth is.

Dunno if he did in 2012, but during that magical 2008 election season, the good doctor did not specifically advocate for a return to the gold standard. His pitch was for a "competing currency" system whose admitted purpose was to avoid any cap gains on gold holdings. It also would've introduced a lot of pointless opportunities for arbitrage and otherwise been a bad idea, but yeah, point stands, the stance makes sense given where he's got his money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

SumYungGui posted:

I'm continually amazed by how no amount of cynicism can prepare me for reality. Hearing other Republican sound bites earlier today was absolute proof to me. Allowing people to talk about their pay (only not really because they'd be fired anyway but let's forget reality and run with this) would have placed an 'undue burden' on businesses and 'inhibit their freedoms'. People talking is an undue burden? How does someone even manage that with a straight face? The freedom for businesses to do what, rear end in a top hat? Say it. Just say it you god drat empty suits, the freedom to gently caress over the 99% for a buck then flee the country once everything is burnt to ashes.
Remember, these are the same people who think money is speech. But apparently talking about money with your coworkers is infringing on the free speech (money) of employers! Maybe because if you earn more you're taking away speech from the job creators and they have less to buy congressmen with create jobs!:qq:

• Locked thread