Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

Silver Nitrate posted:

I have to get my Implanon changed next month. Do they put the new one in a different arm? How bad is getting it taken out?

They'll put the new one in the same arm as the old one. To get the old one out, they'll inject some numbing medicine under one end of it and then use a scalpel to make a very small incision which will allow them to grab it and pull it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You could get them to switch arms if you want, but they don't have to. They won't put the new one right in the old hole, though; they'll go a few inches up or down.

It took a little while for me because she didn't know 100% what she was doing, but it wasn't painful. Mine was encapsulated, too, which means there was another layer to cut through, but it still wasn't painful. It was just kinda weird when she was wiggling/tugging on it. Bring something to distract yourself (book, magazine, phone, person) and just look at that in the other direction. Then go get ice cream and celebrate another three years!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Silver Nitrate posted:

I have to get my Implanon changed next month. Do they put the new one in a different arm? How bad is getting it taken out?

I just got mine taken out today. It wasn't a big deal, but it took a little longer than I expected. First they numbed the area- the anesthetic burns a little. Then they made a small incision, which I did not feel at all, and then spent about ten minutes fishing around (their term, not mine) to grab the implant and pull it out. There was a lot of uncomfortable squeezing of my arm to wiggle the end of the implant into place, but nothing I would describe as pain. They closed the incision with steri-strips and put on a pressure dressing. I anticipate having a good deal of bruising, but I doubt it will be as bad as the bruising from insertion.

I also had a Mirena installed at the same visit and I have a paranoid question. I've heard that your fertility comes back instantly after the Implanon comes out, so much so that you should use condoms for seven days before removal. I forgot all about that when I had sex last Friday. Doc said not to worry since we were putting in the Mirena the same day, but he also told me to use condoms for seven days after the Mirena was inserted. Is my math wrong when I think that lingering sperm are going to have a four day window to get me knocked up before the Mirena takes effect? Is that not how that works? Is there anything I can do to lower my chances of pregnancy from tiny to minuscule? Should I quit worrying, have a glass of wine and watch the last episode of True Detective?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
From my understanding - changing from one hormonal BC to another hormonal BC on the same day leaves you safe, no matter how it is administered.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Wroughtirony posted:

I also had a Mirena installed at the same visit and I have a paranoid question. I've heard that your fertility comes back instantly after the Implanon comes out, so much so that you should use condoms for seven days before removal. I forgot all about that when I had sex last Friday. Doc said not to worry since we were putting in the Mirena the same day, but he also told me to use condoms for seven days after the Mirena was inserted. Is my math wrong when I think that lingering sperm are going to have a four day window to get me knocked up before the Mirena takes effect? Is that not how that works? Is there anything I can do to lower my chances of pregnancy from tiny to minuscule? Should I quit worrying, have a glass of wine and watch the last episode of True Detective?

I really doubt it's actually "instant" since the hormones are going to linger in your system for at least a little while after removal. People may have that idea since progestin-only methods are kind of 50/50 at preventing ovulation and work more through things like thickening cervical mucus.

You should be fine since the Mirena went in immediately after. Plus sperm only survive in the body for about 4-5 days and if you last had sex on Friday, they're probably mostly dead and gone by now anyway. So basically, you probably have nothing to worry about there and if you're concerned about the Mirena, just use a back up for the next week or so.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
And one of the mechanisms of the IUD (both kinds) is there is A Thing in there which promotes leukocyte production, which go on the attack. I love that my uterus now declares war on invaders.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Wine and True Detective it is then.

Thanks for helping keep my paranoia at bay. :-)

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep.
My apologies if this has been posted before, but this is a really long thread.

I have been researching Essure, and I was looking at the Wikipedia page for it. It came to my attention that the page has been "vandalized" on the third paragraph, and while I would love to edit it, I am not at all qualified to replace the weirdo information that someone has put on there with factual information. So, I thought I would bring it here in case someone felt knowedgeable enough to edit it. I would just hate for people to be reading it and see that on there and not get Essure solely because of it.

If I'm wrong and the part about carcinogens from the page is true, I suppose that would be nice to know too. Thanks.

Dana Scully
Dec 25, 2010

hey scully, wanna break into the dean's office?
Thought I'd give a little update on my situation in case anyone reads this later and has the same problem (bleeding for 6 weeks on Implanon).

I went to see the doctor and she put me on Provera, which I've been taking for just under a week now and I've gone from bleeding every day to spotting, and I'm pretty sure that soon I won't be bleeding at all. I'm very happy!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Minnesota Nice. posted:

I have been researching Essure, and I was looking at the Wikipedia page for it. It came to my attention that the page has been "vandalized" on the third paragraph, and while I would love to edit it, I am not at all qualified to replace the weirdo information that someone has put on there with factual information. So, I thought I would bring it here in case someone felt knowedgeable enough to edit it. I would just hate for people to be reading it and see that on there and not get Essure solely because of it.

If I'm wrong and the part about carcinogens from the page is true, I suppose that would be nice to know too. Thanks.

I just took it out because there wasn't really anything in that paragraph that was necessary or cited any actual evidence. Just inflammatory bullshit. If they want to put it back up they should find some decent citations other than just saying "Well some people said they have painful periods from it and it's made of something with a scary sounding name that I think will cause cancer."

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 25, 2014

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Minnesota Nice. posted:

Essure is kind of a bad place right now in terms of safety, a lot of horrible problems have surfaced since last year. Carcinogens sound like nonsense, but there are real issues of coils breaking, causing permanent pain, and a way too high % rate just flat out not working. There's a lot of lawsuits over it. :( Apparently Essure is going through a redesign, but has refused to take the current model off the market.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kerfuffle posted:

Essure is kind of a bad place right now in terms of safety, a lot of horrible problems have surfaced since last year. Carcinogens sound like nonsense, but there are real issues of coils breaking, causing permanent pain, and a way too high % rate just flat out not working. There's a lot of lawsuits over it. :( Apparently Essure is going through a redesign, but has refused to take the current model off the market.

It was something like "The coils are covered in carcinogenic PET and lots of women need treatment for their heavy and painful periods afterward." Which could possibly be true for all I know, but there wasn't anything supporting it and it was written in a really bullshit scare tactic kind of way. They didn't even bother to capitalize "Essure."

Bacteriophage
May 2, 2005
CELLUAR LYSIS!
Sooooo maybe I'm being a little alarmist here but if any of you ladies in the US are thinking about getting an IUD, you should really think about getting it done before Hobby Lobby v Sibelius is decided, if you wanted to save some cash. Thanks to the ACA my Mirena was fully covered but come June I don't know if that will still be the case for everyone :(

Honestly it's one of the main reasons I decided to stop pussyfooting around and finally get mine done last December (well that and it's crazy amazing). Again maybe I'm just being a crazy paranoid alarmist but it's something to keep in mind

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Bacteriophage posted:

Sooooo maybe I'm being a little alarmist here but if any of you ladies in the US are thinking about getting an IUD, you should really think about getting it done before Hobby Lobby v Sibelius is decided, if you wanted to save some cash. Thanks to the ACA my Mirena was fully covered but come June I don't know if that will still be the case for everyone :(

Honestly it's one of the main reasons I decided to stop pussyfooting around and finally get mine done last December (well that and it's crazy amazing). Again maybe I'm just being a crazy paranoid alarmist but it's something to keep in mind

I don't know, it's early but so far it doesn't look much like the court's going to side with Hobby Lobby on this. And even so I don't think it would affect your coverage unless you work for a lovely company like them.

For Mirena, there's also stuff like the ARCH Foundation that will donate IUDs if you have a financial need and then usually Planned Parenthood will do stuff as cheap as they can. I almost got a Mirena completely for free through ARCH (if I hadn't backed out of it).

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 27, 2014

the reverse will
May 4, 2007
I got a letter
So a couple months ago I came into this thread to ask

the reverse will posted:

For people who have [IUDs], how much did [the insertion] hurt, and am I going to horrible regret this decision?

Turns out it really hurt, in more ways than one.

I finally got an appointment to have the insertion done last week, because the gynecologist I was referred to only works 4 days out of the month and would only do the procedure while I was on my period.

When she went to put it in, I yelped in pain as soon as she touched my cervix, which caused her to declare "no, I can't do it, an IUD is out of the question for you. Your cervix is too tight and your pain tolerance is too low, you'll have to decide what other form of birth control you want to use" and immediately got up to leave the room.

On the way out, I mentioned that I'd like to get sterilized (and have been trying to do for years only to get told no every time) and she replied that she'd try to get that set up. As much as I'd like to take the opportunity to get sterilized and finally get it over with, I'm not really sure I want to deal with her any longer given her awful bedside manner and general roughness (she did my pap smears with no lube, for christs sake). Unfortunately, I get the feeling that if I turn down having surgery with her I won't get another chance for years. Besides that, if hormonal BC and IUDs are both off the table, do I have any other options besides buying a jumbo sized box of condoms or joining a nunnery?

To add insult to injury I also had to pay $80 for the IUD, which I could barely afford in the first place. :waycool:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
That sounds like a completely horrible doctor what the hell. If she doesn't bother being gentle during PAP smears I somehow sincerely doubt she did everything she could for your IUD insertion. I'd absolutely get a second opinion.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Well yeah you yelped, it kinda hurts! I would find a new doc, maybe yours didn't feel as comfortable inserting an IUD as she should be. That or she's not very nice in general. Either way I wouldn't want her messing with my business. It'll be hard waiting to get in somewhere else but if she's going to be nasty is it really worth it? If you don't trust her are you always going to be worried she didn't do something right or couldn't take the time to make sure you really know what's going on? If you have problems is she going to dismiss them as you being a baby (even if you're not)? Those are the things I would worry about.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I have a tight and scarred cervix (from a LEEP). Still have an IUD. My gyno sprayed my cervix with Hurricaine spray. See another gyno.

I am also outraged on your behalf for the 80 dollars. I would not have paid it unless I left with an IUD in my body.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

the reverse will posted:

So a couple months ago I came into this thread to ask

Turns out it really hurt, in more ways than one.

I finally got an appointment to have the insertion done last week, because the gynecologist I was referred to only works 4 days out of the month and would only do the procedure while I was on my period.

When she went to put it in, I yelped in pain as soon as she touched my cervix, which caused her to declare "no, I can't do it, an IUD is out of the question for you. Your cervix is too tight and your pain tolerance is too low, you'll have to decide what other form of birth control you want to use" and immediately got up to leave the room.

On the way out, I mentioned that I'd like to get sterilized (and have been trying to do for years only to get told no every time) and she replied that she'd try to get that set up. As much as I'd like to take the opportunity to get sterilized and finally get it over with, I'm not really sure I want to deal with her any longer given her awful bedside manner and general roughness (she did my pap smears with no lube, for christs sake). Unfortunately, I get the feeling that if I turn down having surgery with her I won't get another chance for years. Besides that, if hormonal BC and IUDs are both off the table, do I have any other options besides buying a jumbo sized box of condoms or joining a nunnery?

To add insult to injury I also had to pay $80 for the IUD, which I could barely afford in the first place. :waycool:

I say get sterilized if you want to, but it doesn't sound like an IUD is out of the question. Anytime someone messes with your cervix, it's going to hurt to some degree and just because you made a noise during the procedure doesn't mean "no IUD ever!" I mean, my insertion didn't really hurt that much, but I still grimaced and gasped a few times during the sounding/insertion. The difference was my doctor was cool and talked me through it instead of giving up.

If I were you, first and foremost I would find a different doctor and then thoroughly discuss birth control options. Be honest about the fact that you'd like to be sterilized - you never know, they might be cool with it! And if you absolutely can't convince them or decide not to do it, then I say try for something like an IUD or implant again.

I'd also suggest telling the new doctor about your bad experiences with this crappy doctor you have now, so they understand where you're coming from with this.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
Seconding what they've already said, and what the hell why would they charge you for it?! When I got mine in the first one popped open while it was going through my cervix so she had to pull it out and get another one and they didn't charge us extra for that... Man, even when my husband gets rough down there it's hard to keep from tensing up a bit, if I had a stranger poking at my junk rough I'd start kicking faces o.o

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

BlueOccamy posted:

Seconding what they've already said, and what the hell why would they charge you for it?! When I got mine in the first one popped open while it was going through my cervix so she had to pull it out and get another one and they didn't charge us extra for that... Man, even when my husband gets rough down there it's hard to keep from tensing up a bit, if I had a stranger poking at my junk rough I'd start kicking faces o.o

My guess is it's yet another thing in this story that can be explained "she's a lovely doctor." Honestly I kind of wonder if this doctor even normally does a lot of IUD insertions, considering how weird she is about stuff that's a perfectly normal part of the procedure.

Also it hasn't personally been my experience (because I've never had a male gyno), but I've heard from others that men tend to be gentler than lady gynos. I assume because they don't have the same parts and tend to err on the side of caution. Completely anecdotal and could be bullshit, but this lady sounds like one of those "I have a vagina too so I know you're just being a big baby!" kind of doctors.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

Kimmalah posted:

Also it hasn't personally been my experience (because I've never had a male gyno), but I've heard from others that men tend to be gentler than lady gynos. I assume because they don't have the same parts and tend to err on the side of caution. Completely anecdotal and could be bullshit, but this lady sounds like one of those "I have a vagina too so I know you're just being a big baby!" kind of doctors.

I can't speak for anyone else but because of moving around, in the past 20 years, I've had 3 different male gynos and 4 females. The males were much more cautious and gentle.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I've had male and female through the years. While I much preferred my lady gynos' views on my ability to make decisions about my body, the guy gynos all had a much gentler touch (and warmer hands). Probably the nicest, gentlest dude gyno I saw was the one who did my LEEP. It was lovely, but that could have been even worse in rougher hands.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Asking here too because someone in the knocked up thread pointed out it was a good idea! So I'm trying to decide what to do for birth control after my womb-monster escapes in another two months. I had a paragard before that I thought was pretty awesome, except it gave me awful cramps due to having a pretty small uterus.

Obviously that won't be the case anymore come June. Will I be less likely to have awful period cramping if I get a new paragard put in after birth? Has anyone done a before-and-after that can provide a comparison? I got knocked up pretty darn fast so I so don't want to screw around with hormonal BC again if I can help it, but the cramps with the IUD were pretty serious.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

I don't have kids or an IUD, but I've heard that Mirena or Skyla can affect a person differently than Paraguard.

What problems do hormonal options give you? If you mean hormonal as "something I have to remember" (the pill) or "something that gives me roller coaster emotions" (Depo), then you might want to check out the other IUD options.

Also I've heard that a person's reaction to [whatever] birth control can/may/will change after child birth, so you might not have the same experience on a second go around.

Congrats on the baby!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Just about every form of hormonal birth control has caused mental or physical issues. I've tried nearly all of them at this point over the course of 10-ish years, and have had various and sundry unpleasant side-effects-- to the point that I'm leery of using the long-term hormonal methods like depo or mirena. Especially not something I want to risk while dealing with a newborn! Blood clots are also a major concern due to family history. I'm a lot better off, generally speaking, with non-hormonal methods.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

cailleask posted:

Just about every form of hormonal birth control has caused mental or physical issues. I've tried nearly all of them at this point over the course of 10-ish years, and have had various and sundry unpleasant side-effects-- to the point that I'm leery of using the long-term hormonal methods like depo or mirena. Especially not something I want to risk while dealing with a newborn! Blood clots are also a major concern due to family history. I'm a lot better off, generally speaking, with non-hormonal methods.

I don't have any children so I can't answer your first question, but blood clots shouldn't be a major issue with something like Mirena, Skyla or Depo since they're all estrogen-free methods. Skyla is also a little smaller than average, since it was specifically made with young nulliparous women in mind.

But I understand your leeriness with hormones, I went with Paragard too myself.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
Just an update (I posted about a month ago because I wanted off birth control pills, asked my doctor for an IUD and was pushed towards the NuvaRing.) I LOVE IT. I have not changed my diet or exercise plan, but have lost 8 lbs in the past 2 weeks. My sex drive is SO back, and i'm not crying for no reason all the time, anymore. My partner can't feel it at all (I was planning on removing it during sex but we've been spontaneous and I just haven't bothered.) It's just so awesome. I also found out my copay for it will only be about $30, which is still a lot more than the $9 I was paying for Ortho Tri Cyclen, but it's totally worth it. I had a bit of nausea that first week but it passed. The best thing about it, really is that my HUGE appetite is just gone. I don't have an urge to get up and eat for an hour and then snack all day. I love you, NuvaRing.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

appleskates posted:

Just an update (I posted about a month ago because I wanted off birth control pills, asked my doctor for an IUD and was pushed towards the NuvaRing.) I LOVE IT. I have not changed my diet or exercise plan, but have lost 8 lbs in the past 2 weeks. My sex drive is SO back, and i'm not crying for no reason all the time, anymore. My partner can't feel it at all (I was planning on removing it during sex but we've been spontaneous and I just haven't bothered.) It's just so awesome. I also found out my copay for it will only be about $30, which is still a lot more than the $9 I was paying for Ortho Tri Cyclen, but it's totally worth it. I had a bit of nausea that first week but it passed. The best thing about it, really is that my HUGE appetite is just gone. I don't have an urge to get up and eat for an hour and then snack all day. I love you, NuvaRing.

How are insurance plans skirting the whole free birth control thing? Ugh. I get my nuvaring for free. Either way though, Nuvaring has a discount thing here: https://www.activatethecard.com/6733/landingPage.html
This is different than what I used previously, and but it seems more convenient and you get a bigger discount, your doctor should have them to give out if you ask. This goes for just about every brand name prescription.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Kerfuffle posted:

How are insurance plans skirting the whole free birth control thing? Ugh. I get my nuvaring for free. Either way though, Nuvaring has a discount thing here: https://www.activatethecard.com/6733/landingPage.html
This is different than what I used previously, and but it seems more convenient and you get a bigger discount, your doctor should have them to give out if you ask. This goes for just about every brand name prescription.

Yeah I wondered that too, and I asked both my ob/gyn and my pharmacist about it and they said different companies were paying different percentages. My employer pays for my insurance 100%, but the copays are ridiculous. It's $35 to see my PCP, and $55 for all other doctors. (This is Blue Cross, Blue Shield btw.)

My ob/gyn gave me two rings for free and said if I ever had trouble paying for it I could call his receptionist and ask for a couple more samples. So that's good. The pharmacist (at Target) said he has seen some people get them for free and some people have to pay the full $90. I know that last year when I took Lo-Lo Estrin, (but had different insurance) the full cost PER MONTH was $140 and I had to pay $65. That poo poo was ridiculous.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I have the same insurance brand. :( Wonder what the deal is?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Goddammit. Somebody get Obama on the phone and ask him what the deal is. That mandate was August 2012. All policies have renewed now. FREE BC DAMMIT

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Geolicious posted:

Goddammit. Somebody get Obama on the phone and ask him what the deal is. That mandate was August 2012. All policies have renewed now. FREE BC DAMMIT

I think insurers can claim the policy is grandfathered if there haven't been "significant changes" made to it since the contraceptive mandate went into effect, but at the same time I can't imagine not paying 100% for birth control would save them more than the usual annual increases would bring in - especially over a two-year period.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 7, 2014

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Geoj posted:

I think insurers can claim the policy is grandfathered if there haven't been "significant changes" made to it since the contraceptive mandate went into effect, but at the same time I can't imagine not paying 100% for birth control would save them more than the usual annual increases would bring in - especially over a two-year period.

Oh that explains mine then. I'm pretty new to my office, but I definitely remember being told that our policy was "grandfathered" in and that meant Obama couldn't change it. I work for a bunch of conservatives, so this was presented as a good thing. :(

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Each insurance company has a list of the particular ones that they will pay for. I actually had to bitch out my brand new obamacare policy before they would even deign to give me an answer about it. I refilled literally the cheapest of cheap generics and they denied any cost sharing on it, because it was not one of their preferred drugs. But they will pay all of any IUD, so I'm shopping for a gyno that is both in my network and will give nulliparious women an IUD.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Hutla posted:

Each insurance company has a list of the particular ones that they will pay for. I actually had to bitch out my brand new obamacare policy before they would even deign to give me an answer about it. I refilled literally the cheapest of cheap generics and they denied any cost sharing on it, because it was not one of their preferred drugs. But they will pay all of any IUD, so I'm shopping for a gyno that is both in my network and will give nulliparious women an IUD.

If they're up to date/know their stuff it shouldn't be an issue. The whole "nulliparous women absolutely can't have IUDs" is outdated and wrong. Not that there's no difference at all, but any doctor who tells you that is out of touch and you should probably run the other way anyhow.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Hutla posted:

Same here, they won't let me get another implant but IUDs are a-ok, so I'm actually heading over to Planned Parenthood next week to get my implant removed and have an exam for an IUD. The biggest issue I'm having now is they won't put the IUD in the same appointment where they remove my implant, so I'm stuck on whatever brand they have a sample pack of of the pill for ~3 weeks/a month.

Edit: Finally made my appointments, I need 3 to get everything over and done with :( plus I can't go to my well visit on my period so the whole "irregular" thing with Implanon might throw everything off. Bye bye implant!

ilysespieces fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 8, 2014

Erysipelothrix
May 5, 2012
Does anyone know anything about antibiotics and hormonal IUDs? I've just been put on Minocycline for 3 months and I have a skyla IUD. My doctor said she doubts it will effect the IUD but I might want to use condoms just in case. I would really rather not use condoms if I don't have to. I know minocycline can cause some pretty nasty birth defects if taken while pregnant. So I think that might be why she was suggesting I be extra careful. But if it lowers the effectivenss I will definitely use a back up method. Googling doesn't really come up with anything too concrete with regards to mino and hormonal IUDs.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Erysipelothrix posted:

Does anyone know anything about antibiotics and hormonal IUDs? I've just been put on Minocycline for 3 months and I have a skyla IUD. My doctor said she doubts it will effect the IUD but I might want to use condoms just in case. I would really rather not use condoms if I don't have to. I know minocycline can cause some pretty nasty birth defects if taken while pregnant. So I think that might be why she was suggesting I be extra careful. But if it lowers the effectivenss I will definitely use a back up method. Googling doesn't really come up with anything too concrete with regards to mino and hormonal IUDs.

AFAIK, while doctors always seem to tell people to use backup methods while on antibiotics, the only one that has any scientific evidence towards it loving with hormones is used specifically to treat TB. I'm sure someone more educated than me will answer your question though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Hummingbirds posted:

AFAIK, while doctors always seem to tell people to use backup methods while on antibiotics, the only one that has any scientific evidence towards it loving with hormones is used specifically to treat TB. I'm sure someone more educated than me will answer your question though.

Rifampicin is probably what you're thinking of. As I understand it, that's one of the only antibiotics that's actually been proven to interact with hormonal contraception. For most other antibiotics, there's no hard evidence to support it (or in some cases, evidence that it has no effect) but doctors still recommend a back up just to be on the safe side.

My non-expert guess is that you'd probably be fine between the IUD being in place and the hormones being more localized, but it really boils down to how much risk you're comfortable with I guess (as in, could you handle it if you did get pregnant).

• Locked thread