Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Michael Bradley is the American Jason Statham.

A bald man who kicks rear end, and in doing so makes all those around him feel both safe and full of hope. In the past, his physical commitment and mental tenacity have combined to make the midfielder a virtual security blanket simmering away at the heart of the U.S. national team.

So exactly how many Premier League teams' starting XI's would instantly be improved by the arrival of Bradley?

The magic number for me is 15 -- all of the teams apart from the five below:

1. Liverpool: Based on the belief that I would not have the temerity to mess with the midfield alchemy that has propelled the team on their intoxicating charge to the top of the table.

2. Chelsea: Jose Mourinho publicly craves a "real striker," which Bradley is not. The imperious return of Nemanja Matic suggests Bradley would be in danger of gaining a John Obi Mikel-esque number of minutes.

3. Manchester City: Hard to believe that in competing with coach Manuel Pellegrini's first choice of Yaya Toure, David Silva, Fernandinho and Samir Nasri, Bradley would not experience a Roma situation redux.

4. Everton: Though the Goodison Park faithful would no doubt welcome another team-first American with open arms, undersung heroes Gareth Barry and James McCarthy behind Ross Barkley would prevent Bradley from walking into the starting lineup.

5. Tottenham Hotspur: A gaggle of midfielders including Aaron Lennon, Paulinho, Etienne Capoue, Mousa Dembele, Andros Townsend, Nacer Chadli, Christian Eriksen and Gylfi Sigurdsson present too many options and too many possibilities for a coach like Tim Sherwood, whose selection process can veer toward the avant garde. A real possibility exists that Bradley could be "Clint Dempsey'd" at White Hart Lane.

Of the remaining 15, the biggest eyebrow-raiser would be Arsenal. Yet Arsene Wenger's arm-long injury list, which has claimed the erratic talent of Mesut Ozil, Jack Wilshere and Theo Walcott, the suspect fitness of Aaron Ramsey and the degrading returns of Mikel Arteta must all be factored into the equation. Though Arsenal fans may resent the suggestion that a Serie A-defecting MLS player could immediately slot into their first team, with the North Londoners' grip on fourth place so tenuous the Toronto FC midfielder would be an instant upgrade.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
christ. CHRIST.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lol what makes it worse is that the "michael bradley is the american jason statham" is a tongue in cheek Men in Blazers joke that this guy has stolen and coopted into a serious blog post as though no one would notice. shocking stuff.

e: also lacking the awareness that he literally couldn't even make it on the pitch for villa when he was on loan

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
That post doesn't seem that unreasonable imo

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Blue Screen Error posted:

That post doesn't seem that unreasonable imo

It's just an insane overanalysis that could've been simply stated as "Michael Bradley is a pretty good player and could do a job for most Premier League teams".

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I don't even know where to put this so gently caress it, I'm putting it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W3sWiZ-iO8&hd=1

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Baldo Di Gregorio posted:

christ. CHRIST.

Baldo Di Gregorio, please rename me to virtual security blanket simmering away at the heart of the U.S. national team

I almost wish Bradley leaves MLS to come (back) to England so he can be Jozy 2.0, just to watch insanely deluded USMNT fans melt down all over again when he makes 8 sub appearances for a team that doesn't truly appreciate his talents and somehow are too dumb nay REFUSE to build the team around him.

edit: He is actually a decent player who works hard and could probably do a job in England. Unlike Jozy. Who is terrible and fat and lazy.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 8, 2014

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
My favourite part is 'Tim Sherwood, whose selection process can veer toward the avant garde'.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

sticksy posted:

Baldo Di Gregorio, please rename me to virtual security blanket simmering away at the heart of the U.S. national team

I almost wish Bradley leaves MLS to come (back) to England so he can be Jozy 2.0, just to watch insanely deluded USMNT fans melt down all over again when he makes 8 sub appearances for a team that doesn't truly appreciate his talents and somehow are too dumb nay REFUSE to build the team around him.

edit: He is actually a decent player who works hard and could probably do a job in England. Unlike Jozy. Who is terrible and fat and lazy.

I'm actually a Bradley fan, it was more the terrible writing Americans seems prone to re: football, but the assumption that he simply walks into any of the unlisted 15 PL teams is a bit much, I think he'd always be used in a rotation.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Michael Bradley is a proper good player, are mental USMNT fans obsessed over him too or is it just Jozy?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

euroboy posted:

Michael Bradley is a proper good player, are mental USMNT fans obsessed over him too or is it just Jozy?

No, the baffling delusion is really around Jozy. Bradley is a good player and has proved himself in Europe, far more than Jozy has. Like Finn said, it was more the hyperbolic writing.

I think it's just more than USMNT fans are desperate to be validated and for US players to be on the biggest stage since :911: #1. So any player with a whiff of potential or talent is suddenly bigged up and therefore should be a lynchpin in every team in the Champions League.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 8, 2014

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009

euroboy posted:

Must be USMNT stuff. Hes a good player imo, good defensive mid who is quite a good finisher when he gets forward.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
One of the biggest things with Jozy is that he puts up really impressive performances in matches that mean absolutely nothing, which deludes US supporters into thinking that he's actually world class because he scored a hat-trick against Bosnia in an international friendly. I honestly can not remember Jozy being impressive at all in competitive fixtures for the US team- and this is four years back, but he was absolutely dogshit at WC 2010.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

He scored a hat trick* in like his first ever competitive international. It was all downhill from there.

*against Trinidad & Tobago, so

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Did We Just See the End of Borussia Dortmund’s Hipster Football Dream?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Did We Just See the End of Borussia Dortmund’s Hipster Football Dream?
I dunno how grantland gets away with having such poo poo football writers

e: loving hell

quote:

There’s a script to it that’s developing, though: A club with some not-quite-astronomical amount of money and maybe some history stumbles onto a lunatic-brilliant manager, signs the right undervalued players, and develops young talent. The club tastes success, the manager loses some of his best players, the team buys even better replacements, the team continues to punch above its statistical and financial weight, but then those new best players leave, the coach eventually and understandably gets fed up — and then he leaves, too. It’s happening at Dortmund, it’s going to happen in some capacity to Atletico, and get far enough ahead of yourself and you can already picture it happening at Juventus (the stripes!) and Liverpool.

Calling Liverpool or Juventus, with seven European titles between them, “hipster” symbols might seem like wearing sneakers with sweatpants and thinking you’re on some avant-garde poo poo, but normcore exists for a reason, after all. One year it’s yellow and black lines, then it’s red and white. The specific fashions change by the season, but the ideas stay the same: The way to succeed, for most teams today, is to fend off the inevitable for as long as they can. Because eventually, Klopp and Reus won’t be able to help. They’ll be on the other team.

this is worse than the silly fans crying for me, this is people getting paid to write on america's most reputable "thinkpiece" website that completely lack self-awareness&context/are cunts/shouldn't be paid.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 9, 2014

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

sticksy posted:

Michael Bradley is the American Jason Statham.

A bald man who kicks rear end, and in doing so makes all those around him feel both safe and full of hope. In the past, his physical commitment and mental tenacity have combined to make the midfielder a virtual security blanket simmering away at the heart of the U.S. national team.

So exactly how many Premier League teams' starting XI's would instantly be improved by the arrival of Bradley?

The magic number for me is 15 -- all of the teams apart from the five below:

1. Liverpool: Based on the belief that I would not have the temerity to mess with the midfield alchemy that has propelled the team on their intoxicating charge to the top of the table.

2. Chelsea: Jose Mourinho publicly craves a "real striker," which Bradley is not. The imperious return of Nemanja Matic suggests Bradley would be in danger of gaining a John Obi Mikel-esque number of minutes.

3. Manchester City: Hard to believe that in competing with coach Manuel Pellegrini's first choice of Yaya Toure, David Silva, Fernandinho and Samir Nasri, Bradley would not experience a Roma situation redux.

4. Everton: Though the Goodison Park faithful would no doubt welcome another team-first American with open arms, undersung heroes Gareth Barry and James McCarthy behind Ross Barkley would prevent Bradley from walking into the starting lineup.

5. Tottenham Hotspur: A gaggle of midfielders including Aaron Lennon, Paulinho, Etienne Capoue, Mousa Dembele, Andros Townsend, Nacer Chadli, Christian Eriksen and Gylfi Sigurdsson present too many options and too many possibilities for a coach like Tim Sherwood, whose selection process can veer toward the avant garde. A real possibility exists that Bradley could be "Clint Dempsey'd" at White Hart Lane.

Of the remaining 15, the biggest eyebrow-raiser would be Arsenal. Yet Arsene Wenger's arm-long injury list, which has claimed the erratic talent of Mesut Ozil, Jack Wilshere and Theo Walcott, the suspect fitness of Aaron Ramsey and the degrading returns of Mikel Arteta must all be factored into the equation. Though Arsenal fans may resent the suggestion that a Serie A-defecting MLS player could immediately slot into their first team, with the North Londoners' grip on fourth place so tenuous the Toronto FC midfielder would be an instant upgrade.

Americans have a really loving weird sense of national identity imo

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Butterfly Valley posted:

It's not surprising considering their history.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

mynameisjohn posted:

I dunno how grantland gets away with having such poo poo football writers

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/did-we-just-see-the-end-of-borussia-dortmunds-hipster-football-dream
That whole article is some cringe worthy poo poo.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

:suicide:

good lord

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Butterfly Valley posted:

not not luvd posted:

It's not surprising considering their history.

It's pretty much drummed into them from day one in school, isn't it?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't even know what the criterion of a "hipster" football club is, Dortmund are one of the most successful clubs in the history of Germany. I don't want to think about this.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I don't even know what the criterion of a "hipster" football club is, Dortmund are one of the most successful clubs in the history of Germany. I don't want to think about this.
its dumb and the author is a bitch

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

oh my god lads, i've found it...i've found the worst post about football in the history of the internet

quote:

I'm actually researching the possibility of a less wealthy team achieving success in soccer. All my research points to Association Football in almost every league besides the MLS and the A-League to be pretty financially deterministic.

Recently I have taken a liking to Fulham. They play a cheerful brand of lovely low league football. But the truth is, achieving success in association football without throwing stacks of money around is almost impossible.

After all, just like John Henry (owner of Liverpool and Boston Red Sox) says, contracts don't really matter in this game. Moneyball style success is possible in baseball because the contracts are extremely firmly binding. Mike Trout can't just walk away from his contract and go to the cross town Dodgers. But Wayne Rooney can just threaten to walk away to go to Manchester City unless United gives him a bigger contract.

But hey, looking at the debt levels present in the association football world, I laugh at the "rich" teams spending money they don't have. When the footballing order collapses in a few years due to the unsustainable levels of debt, the financially prudent will inherit the world!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, it's weird looking back on it.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Mickolution posted:

You're really surrounded by it all times tbh

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

quote:

But hey, looking at the debt levels present in the association football world, I laugh at the "rich" teams spending money they don't have. When the footballing order collapses in a few years due to the unsustainable levels of debt, the financially prudent will inherit the world!

Wenger was saying this a few years ago lol

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Shrapnig posted:

Yeah, it's weird looking back on it.

It's kinda weird that it still happens now but not really. It totally makes sense considering the way the type of people who founded your country and the American Dream stuff.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
What about our national identity is weird? Not really disputing anything I'm just not sure I'm following the conversation.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

blue footed boobie posted:

What about our national identity is weird? Not really disputing anything I'm just not sure I'm following the conversation.

It's weird because most non-Americans aren't patriotic in the slightest let alone fiercely so.

Without wanting to generalise too much it tends to be the uneducated people over here who are whereas in America it's spread out across p much everyone.

I'd imagine it stems from the whole immigrant / escaping persecution thing and it's just grown into your culture.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Think back on it and tell me saying the Pledge of Allegiance every morning in school isn't weird.

Or do they still do that in court as well?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shrapnig posted:

Think back on it and tell me saying the Pledge of Allegiance every morning in school isn't weird.

Or do they still do that in court as well?

Okay I thought that's what we were getting at, but I wasn't sure.

Anyway, it's because we were less exposed to post WWI far-right nationalism and were able to swoop in at the end and kick some rear end.

And I don't think they ever said the pledge of allegiance in court?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hmmmm... lol.

manifest destiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-1GIa-zINE

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

And I don't think they ever said the pledge of allegiance in court?

I seem to recall they had but obviously you would know better than me.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are many adjectives to describe Manchester United's performance this evening.
Passion.
Desire.
Hunger.
Courage.
Commitment.
Alas they fail to convey the true greatness of this away day endeavour.
But one word truly sums up the performance today.
And I'm quite certain you'll all be in agreement.
Yes.
COURAGE!!
For many young men a night in the Reeperbahn is the rite of passage into manhood.
Tonight David Moyes young charges entered the Allianz Arena as boys.
They left the pitch as MEN.
Bravo, Europe is proud of you.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

oliwan posted:

There are many adjectives to describe Manchester United's performance this evening.
Passion.
Desire.
Hunger.
Courage.
Commitment.
Alas they fail to convey the true greatness of this away day endeavour.
But one word truly sums up the performance today.
And I'm quite certain you'll all be in agreement.
Yes.
COURAGE!!
For many young men a night in the Reeperbahn is the rite of passage into manhood.
Tonight David Moyes young charges entered the Allianz Arena as boys.
They left the pitch as MEN.
Bravo, Europe is proud of you.

what the gently caress

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Tom pm'ed me to tell me the article was written by a British Jew not as a pejorative he seemed keen for me to make this known

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Tom pm'ed me to tell me the article was written by a British Jew not as a pejorative he seemed keen for me to make this known

I love this post.