Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

For the money the 18-55 vr2 is a great lens, and would be worth picking up just to play with to figure out exactly how *wide* you want to go for landscapes before throwing down real cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cheeswhiz posted:

I was looking at the nikon 18mm - 55mm which has pretty decent reviews and can be picked up for around $100 used at KEH. Anyone have experience with that lens? I know it's bargain barrel but people seem to like it.
It's fukken great if you don't need fast glass. Get the VR or VR2.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

cheeswhiz posted:

I'm looking for a wide angle lens for landscape. I currently have a d7000 with 2 lenses (nikon 50mm 1.8d and Tamron 70mm - 300mm VC). The 50mm is OK for landscape but I'm really looking for something wider. I'm open to new or used and I'm not looking to spend a ton since I just picked up the Tamron. Any suggestions?

I was looking at the nikon 18mm - 55mm which has pretty decent reviews and can be picked up for around $100 used at KEH. Anyone have experience with that lens? I know it's bargain barrel but people seem to like it.

The Tamron 17-50 is obviously better but the 18-55 VR is actually a pretty solid lens for the price.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So I recently picked up a sigma 50mm-500mm nikon mount, keh listed that the lens had a loose zoom but I figured for the price it was a steal. I got the lens and put it on my nikon D7000 and the lens doesn't autofocus and doesn't expose correctly. I examined the mount and noticed this.

It looks like the contacts were dented, there is also 10 of them but the inside of the camera body and my nikon lenses only have 8. Is this normal for sigma lenses?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

It looks like the contacts were dented, there is also 10 of them but the inside of the camera body and my nikon lenses only have 8. Is this normal for sigma lenses?

I only have one Sigma lense for my D5100 (the Sigma 10-20/4-5.6), but it does have 10 contacts like that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Or call keh and get them to fix it for you. They're good like that.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

Or call keh and get them to fix it for you. They're good like that.

ended up giving them a ring and they said they will try to fix it, if that doesn't work they will refund it. they are freaking awesome!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

ended up giving them a ring and they said they will try to fix it, if that doesn't work they will refund it. they are freaking awesome!

Yeah that looks pretty hosed, it almost looks like part of the area with the contacts on it got jammed back into the bayonet or something.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So I recently picked up a sigma 50mm-500mm nikon mount, keh listed that the lens had a loose zoom but I figured for the price it was a steal. I got the lens and put it on my nikon D7000 and the lens doesn't autofocus and doesn't expose correctly. I examined the mount and noticed this.

Hey, I've been trying to sell my 50-500mm for a while now, you should return that and buy mine :).

10 contacts is normal for that lens, obviously they shouldn't be bashed in though.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

ShadeofBlue posted:

Hey, I've been trying to sell my 50-500mm for a while now, you should return that and buy mine :).

10 contacts is normal for that lens, obviously they shouldn't be bashed in though.

Well if they can't fix it I'll be getting a refund...

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Kind of a weird question, but anyone know of a good brand for lens caps (both front and rear)? The only ones I can find locally are Optek and they don't ever stay on properly.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Geektox posted:

Kind of a weird question, but anyone know of a good brand for lens caps (both front and rear)? The only ones I can find locally are Optek and they don't ever stay on properly.

Buy knockoffs of whatever brand you shoot for a buck each on eBay. In fact buy a half dozen because you're going to lose them.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yup, I just got my order of half-a-dozen generic pinch-squeeze caps from "trust_digital2009" on eBay, for $5.94 and free shipping. Took a while to get here, but whatever.

Local shops sell lovely lens caps for like $15 each, which is insane.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I just put Tamron lens caps on everything. They're great.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

I just put Tamron lens caps on everything. They're great.
This. Nikon caps are ok, just don't buy them separately.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

This. Nikon caps are ok, just don't buy them separately.

That said, I've had really good success with pinch-style caps from eBay that say either Nikon or Tamron on them. Obviously they have absolutely no connection to either brand, but I guess those are the brands whose pinch caps are worth ripping off.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
First review of the new Sigma 50mm is in...

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1677/cat/30

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

quote:

Conclusion
The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art is the most exciting lens we're likely to review this year. All competing lenses from Canon and Nikon fell short when compared to the resolving power of the 50mm Art.

Good to see the review match the hype. Now lets see how much they want for it. If its less than a grand, this lens is going to sell like crazy.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It'll be $800 probably.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
From the review:

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Conclusion
The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art is the most exciting lens we're likely to review this year. All competing lenses from Canon and Nikon fell short when compared to the resolving power of the 50mm Art.

What does resolving power mean? I'm interested in this lens as I refuse to touch the Canon 50mm 1.4 and its lovely micro-USM that could fail if you look at it wrong.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Essentially sharpness.

Also, it was rumored to be 800 dollars on introduction. Given Sigma's typical price development, it'll be 500-600 a few months later.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mclifford82 posted:

From the review:

What does resolving power mean? I'm interested in this lens as I refuse to touch the Canon 50mm 1.4 and its lovely micro-USM that could fail if you look at it wrong.

Also worth bearing in mind that, bar the 1.2 USM, all of Canon's 50mms are all over 2 decades old.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I wonder if Canon had plans to make f2 IS lenses on the vein of the new 35 f2? It's a great and sharp lens for the video shooter, and it seems like they can sell lots of them to not only Canon shooters but also people using Blackmagic or EF-mount Red Scarlets and Epics.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Combat Pretzel posted:

Essentially sharpness.

Also, it was rumored to be 800 dollars on introduction. Given Sigma's typical price development, it'll be 500-600 a few months later.

Yeah, resolving power is also a function of how much fine detail you can render with higher megapixel sensors as well as sharpness I think. I'd love to see it introduced at 800 and there's been some rumors to that effect but there has also been rumors putting it a couple hundred north of a thousand too so I guess we'll see!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Yeah, resolving power is also a function of how much fine detail you can render with higher megapixel sensors as well as sharpness I think.

Yeah that's it. Apparently the new Zeiss Otus has insane resolving power, like it was designed with high MP sensors in mind as opposed to the current line of 50mms, which were all designed back when sensors were less than 10 or even 5 mp.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
A friend has a Nikon D7000, Yongnuo 560EX triggered by a RF603 isn't firing.

Anyone have ideas on what might going wrong?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

the_lion posted:

A friend has a Nikon D7000, Yongnuo 560EX triggered by a RF603 isn't firing.

Anyone have ideas on what might going wrong?

It's really hard to say with that little information, but I guess the main question is, does it fire when you trigger it manually from the transmitter? I'm not familiar with the RF603 system but I'm assuming the transmitter unit has a 'test' button.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

SoundMonkey posted:

It's really hard to say with that little information, but I guess the main question is, does it fire when you trigger it manually from the transmitter? I'm not familiar with the RF603 system but I'm assuming the transmitter unit has a 'test' button.

Ah, noted. Second hand situation-my bad with lack of detail.

The unit does indeed have a test button. I have the exact same setup as him, but with a canon camera and the same yongnuo.

The YN560EX III is supposed to have a RF603 built in. He can get it to trigger but only by adding a RF603 to the bottom of his flash and then it fires fine.

My guess, RF603 is busted inside the flash or some sort of camera body setting is blocking it somehow.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

the_lion posted:

My guess, RF603 is busted inside the flash or some sort of camera body setting is blocking it somehow.

Do the transmitters and receivers have channels and poo poo that might have to be set the same?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

SoundMonkey posted:

Do the transmitters and receivers have channels and poo poo that might have to be set the same?

Good question, they do have channels. This will be the first thing I check. I'm getting him to bring it in Thursday.

Hopefully that's all it is! Thanks!

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
SLRGear has a review of the 50mm f/1.4 Sigma ART up, and I can't begin to express how much I want this lens in my bag right now. I just hope the price isn't outrageous.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

mclifford82 posted:

SLRGear has a review of the 50mm f/1.4 Sigma ART up, and I can't begin to express how much I want this lens in my bag right now. I just hope the price isn't outrageous.

Sigma's CEO is cool because it's a family business and he says his priority isn't maximizing profits, but keeping everyone who's been working there since forever employed. They said they can only do that by making innovative lenses that the market hasn't seen, but they do it for reasonable prices unlike what Canon & Nikon sometimes come up with (just look at the 58mm/1.4). I think the mirrorless era will be even better for them, because phase detect sensor AF systems tend to be super accurate and their focus issues will be mitigated.

I wish they'd make cinema versions of their lenses too.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I like that Sigma makes things that Nikon won't.

Like the 18-35 f1.8.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sigma are great and the 30 1.4 that I bought from someone here is the greatest crop lens I've ever used

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

I reckon canon will do a dick move and try and cut sigma lenses working-they do it for non canon batteries on newer bodies believe.

That said, I only have one sigma (105mm) but sweet lens. I'd consider switching if I bought another lens.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

I like that Sigma makes things that Nikon won't.

Like the 18-35 f1.8.
Their 30/1.4 is probably half the reason Nikon makes a fast 35 for APSC.
Their Art lenses will probably force both canon and Nikon to update their competing primes too. I like sigma.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

the_lion posted:

I reckon canon will do a dick move and try and cut sigma lenses working-they do it for non canon batteries on newer bodies believe.
Isn't this pretty much why Sigma lenses have docking stations now? If a first party camera maker decides to brick their gear they can push out a firmware update that fixes things as soon as they've figured out a workaround.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

big scary monsters posted:

Isn't this pretty much why Sigma lenses have docking stations now? If a first party camera maker decides to brick their gear they can push out a firmware update that fixes things as soon as they've figured out a workaround.

If Canon gets pouty and decides they're going to activate the camera/lens encryption layer they secretly developed years ago, it's gonna take more than a few days before Sigma's like "welp here's your new firmware!"

I mean obviously this isn't going to happen but if Sigma can reverse-engineer lens/body communication well enough that it might just as well be a Canon lens, then Canon can probably work out how to dick them over really really hard if they want. Of course unless they make a highly illegal deal with Nikon to do the exact same thing, it's basically only gonna hurt them.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

the_lion posted:

Nah, I think Canon realizes that having Sigma (and Tamron and Tokina) around actually adds value to their camera system. They've got to realize that having cheaper 3rd party alternatives makes it easier to buy into their DSLR system. They're more concerned about selling you their mount because once you buy into EOS, it is very unlikely that you are going to switch to something else. Having third parties around acts as kind of a price pressure valve so that Canon (and Nikon) can continue to charge outrageous prices for the 1st party stuff which they can market as the true product for real professionals*. Canon hasn't hosed with the protocols to dick over third parties for like 20 years and they probably aren't gonna start now. And if they did, Sigma's got the dock for firmware upgrades. If Canon really tries to gently caress us over, Sigma offers a mount changing service so we can switch our lenses to Nikon.

*retired engineers/dentists/middle managers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Adding some sort of lens level encryption would probably involve updating the lenses to have some sort of encryption (since otherwise sigma could flash their lenses to look like a nifty 50), and like canon's going to make new lenses.