Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Amperor posted:

Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites

I always took this to more mean the main game. Which you can win with your favorites. I just finished with Delibird, Farfetch'd, Luvdisc, Ariados, Bedrill. Ledian.

Though Luvdisc was wierd in amie. It always looked like I was petting a butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

TheSpiritFox posted:

Crap then, I'm in the process of getting lumiose turned back on, gotta wait.

Aegislash will let you rush through the Fairy gym with Iron Head, and speed up your progress to the move relearner in Dendemille, at least.

Unless you evolved that Doublade really early.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Geostomp posted:

There's no "might" about it. Ice/Rock is the absolute worst defensive typing possible (for the record, Fairy/Steel is the best).

Is this based on Pokemon that actually exist, or has someone done the math on all possible two-type combinations and figured this out?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

pik_d posted:

Is this based on Pokemon that actually exist, or has someone done the math on all possible two-type combinations and figured this out?

Yep. http://www.pokewiki.de/Rangliste_der_Typanf%C3%A4lligkeit

Of all the types that currently exist (or at least have been officially released), Aururous is at the very bottom with Abomasnow a close second.

Edit: My bad, it accounts for all theoretical types as well. Also, it's in Dutch, but that shouldn't be much of a problem with pictures.

Double Edit: German. Not Dutch. I am bad at language.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 8, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm still amazed they haven't made water weak to ice or poison yet. Water's been one of the best types in the game practically since the start, and ice and poison could both use a gigantic buff.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Poison is great defensively. But yeah, it could stand a buff to offense by being SE agaisnt Water, but more because I think Water needs to be brought down a bit.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

PSWII60 posted:

I always took this to more mean the main game. Which you can win with your favorites. I just finished with Delibird, Farfetch'd, Luvdisc, Ariados, Bedrill. Ledian.

Though Luvdisc was wierd in amie. It always looked like I was petting a butt.

Exactly this. In-game, it doesn't really matter what you use. And competitively, use what everyone else is using if you want to win, and if you don't mind losing and just want to have fun playing, go with your favorites. Although, some favorites just invite trouble, such as:

Geostomp posted:

Of all the types that currently exist (or at least have been officially released), Aururous is at the very bottom with Abomasnow a close second.

If they had done a 180 and gave Aurorus glass cannon stats, would that have saved it? I would have loved an aurora sauropod that didn't die to everything.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Trick Room Hail.

Glaceon hsd the highest Special Attack of any non-Mega or Legendary Ice type. Blizzards from that hurt.

This isn't viable in singles since you need two different pokemon to set up hail and trick room, and they each only last five turns, since permaweather is no longer a thing.

It's also pointless in doubles since glaceon would be redundant with (mega)abomasnow, not adding any coverage or resistances.

PSWII60 posted:

That would work, I gave mine a scarf and stuck it on a hail team.
Probably the best way to go, as long as you have both ice beam and blizzard, although glaceon/abomasnow on the same team still have issues, and the concept of a 'hail team' in singles is almost laughable in this gen.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Pancham is one of my favorite Gen 6 mons, and so by extension I keep trying to use Pangoro in battles, but he is so bad, which sucks because bears are some of my favorite animals, but in the Pokemon world panda bears are useless compared to the mighty power of Egg Nurses and tiny ponies that can shoot water. Come to think of it all the bear pokemon aren't very high tier. The best I can think of is Ursaring with a Toxic Orb, and even then his use is limited.

Has anyone come up withan effective way to use Pangoro, because if so I'm all ears.

Strictly theoretical here but:

Pangoro @ choice scarf
moldbreaker, jolly
- parting shot (still drops stats even against abilities like clear body, thanks to moldbreaker)
- earthquake (moldbreaker again)
- hammer arm (sounds counterintuitive but it's the strongest attack and you'll probably be switching/dying soon anyway)
- crunch

The idea is to function like a volt/turn choice set, but with parting shot instead of u-turn. Earthquake takes advantage of moldbreaker, and with a scarf you could get some surprising hits. Hammer arm and crunch are the stongest STABs and have good neutral coverage against non-fairies. Of course even with a scarf it's not that fast, but it'll be faster than most things without a boost.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 8, 2014

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Geostomp posted:

Edit: My bad, it accounts for all theoretical types as well. Also, it's in Dutch, but that shouldn't be much of a problem with pictures.

It confirms my suspicions that a Normal/Ghost pokemon would be really awesome. Also it's German, not Dutch.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Tardigrade posted:

If they had done a 180 and gave Aurorus glass cannon stats, would that have saved it? I would have loved an aurora sauropod that didn't die to everything.

If it was fast, had better Attack to make use of it's ability, and got a few more attacks to go with it. Ice/Rock is fantastic at attacking everything outside of Steel and Refrigerate could do wonders in the hands of a physical attacker. Of course that's all hypothetical now.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Hail really needs more Abilities/special effects to benefit from it.

Otherwise it's hardly worth it even if you want a weather team.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Double Edit: German. Not Dutch. I am bad at language.
Am I the only one who finds the German type names funny? FEVER, GIFT and PSYCHO stand out.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Tardigrade posted:

It probably would have, with terrible defensive typing a mixed set of Ice beam/rock slide/thunderbolt/freeze dry would be awesome. Bolt beam combo, with a gently caress you to Rotom-W in freeze dry, and a back up flinch chance useful in doubles.

Rock and ice are two of the better offensive types in the game.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Pureauthor posted:

Poison is great defensively. But yeah, it could stand a buff to offense by being SE agaisnt Water, but more because I think Water needs to be brought down a bit.

Not to mention that in 6 generations there still isn't a legendary Poison-type... and yet Fairy gets a (top-tier monotype) legendary in the gen it's introduced.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TheSpiritFox posted:

So did I get it right you have to learn king's shield from the relearner? Cause that's bullshit if true.

Yeah, this is true. There is currently no other way to get Kings Shield then from the move relearner. It's one of Gamefreaks many good design choices :downs:

regarding the whole strong/weak debate: Many seemingly weak pokemon can kickass if you know how to use them. Nothing feels better than sweeping an opponent using only Vivillon. Nothing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tardigrade posted:

Not to mention that in 6 generations there still isn't a legendary Poison-type... and yet Fairy gets a (top-tier monotype) legendary in the gen it's introduced.

I bet we'll get a poison fairy that's Stunfisk tier, if we get one at all.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

How Ingratiating! posted:

Aegislash will let you rush through the Fairy gym with Iron Head, and speed up your progress to the move relearner in Dendemille, at least.

Unless you evolved that Doublade really early.

I got him to 51 at the Battle Chateu along with my snorlax and a shuckle and then evolved him after getting Sacred Sword. I read somewhere that they learn it if you evolve after 51 and Sacred Sword.

No Iron Head though. I think he's got Sacred, Shadow claw, swords dance, and something else, probably false swipe for capturing poo poo.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

pik_d posted:

Here is some ~math~ courtesy of the Pokemon database (if you are on a browser other than Chrome don't bother clicking, you're probably going to have a terrible experience).

The number in brackets are the amount of Pokemon with that particular type combination.

And the types based on "score". The description already explains it. Steel/Fairy is best, Ice/Rock is the worst:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Doubles question - how viable is doing shenanigans like Thunder Wave + Confuse Ray + Flinch spam? It's what I do in single player and I'm curious if it translates at all, because it's really fun to play lockdown teams because I'm a griefing pile of poo poo at heart. Hitting one enemy with Thunder Wave and the other with Confuse Ray turn 1, then switching targets turn 2, then just like bite spamming them the rest of the fight.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, this is true. There is currently no other way to get Kings Shield then from the move relearner. It's one of Gamefreaks many good design choices :downs:

TheSpiritFox posted:

I got him to 51 at the Battle Chateau along with my snorlax and a shuckle and then evolved him after getting Sacred Sword. I read somewhere that they learn it if you evolve after 51 and Sacred Sword.

No Iron Head though. I think he's got Sacred, Shadow claw, swords dance, and something else, probably false swipe for capturing poo poo.
How it works is Aegislash learns King's Shield at level 1, but since you can't get an Aegislash at level 1, you have to go to the move relearner. For example, Scizor learns Bullet Punch at level 1, so if you trade a level 1 Metal Coat Scyther, the Scizor will try to learn Bullet Punch after evolving. However, if you trade a higher leveled Metal Coat Scyther, Scizor won't lean Bullet Punch, and you have to go to the move relearner to get it.

Holy poo poo, Aegislash learns 14 loving moves at level 1. Between Swords Dance, Shadow Sneak, Sacred Sword, Iron Head, King's Shield, Pursuit, Autotomize, Head Smash, and TMs, you've basically got his whole moveset available right when when you get to the move relearner. That explains why Aegislash kicked so much rear end in my playthrough.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Nihilarian posted:

Am I the only one who finds the German type names funny? FEVER, GIFT and PSYCHO stand out.

It's actually FEUER, and gift is literally the word for poison.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The only real issue with looking at it that way is prevalence of offensive moves by type. Ghost, Fighting, Normal, Water, Dark, and Ice have priority moves flying around.

Until Gen VI, every loving pokemon ran dragon or ice attacks and you didn't see poison ever but fairy has fixed that some. I think Fire is probably the attack type I see least now, and that only benefits steel defensively.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Magres posted:

Doubles question - how viable is doing shenanigans like Thunder Wave + Confuse Ray + Flinch spam? It's what I do in single player and I'm curious if it translates at all, because it's really fun to play lockdown teams because I'm a griefing pile of poo poo at heart. Hitting one enemy with Thunder Wave and the other with Confuse Ray turn 1, then switching targets turn 2, then just like bite spamming them the rest of the fight.

You can try, but remember that they can use both pokemon to hit a single on of yours in a turn which limits you to either higher speed pokemon that can learn those moves or pranksters to set it up and then try to swap in your heavier hitters or whatever. A lot of the single player techniques that people use don't really translate to doubles.

E: And remember that confusion goes away if they swap out.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

JesustheDarkLord posted:

The only real issue with looking at it that way is prevalence of offensive moves by type. Ghost, Fighting, Normal, Water, Dark, and Ice have priority moves flying around.

Until Gen VI, every loving pokemon ran dragon or ice attacks and you didn't see poison ever but fairy has fixed that some. I think Fire is probably the attack type I see least now, and that only benefits steel defensively.
Between Talonflame, the Mega Charizards, Heatran, and my own Sacred Fire Entei, I see fire moves fairly often, although this is more on Wireless battling than Showndown. I don't really see Bug and Psychic moves (or Pokemon) all that often, and Poison and Steel are somewhat uncommon, although I have noticed Iron Head/Poison Jab on some Dragon types.

You're right, priority is loving everywhere now; how could you forget about Talonflame and Mega Pinsir's flying priority moves.:v: I actually like all the priority, since it means investing in bulk or attack (rather than just speed) is a option now.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

fade5 posted:

Between Talonflame, the Mega Charizards, Heatran, and my own Sacred Fire Entei, I see fire moves fairly often, although this is more on Wireless battling than Showndown. I don't really see Bug and Psychic moves (or Pokemon) all that often, and Poison and Steel are somewhat uncommon, although I have noticed Iron Head/Poison Jab on some Dragon types.

You're right, priority is loving everywhere now; how could you forget about Talonflame and Mega Pinsir's flying priority moves.:v: I actually like all the priority, since it means investing in bulk or attack (rather than just speed) is a option now.

I usually lead with Ferrothorn as one of my doubles pokemon and it's amazing how many people don't have coverage moves like Flamethrower strewn through their team. The moment I see a fire type hit the field I just swap out for either my own firetype or something that is just 1x until I kill it and put Ferrothorn back out and it lives forever.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Xik posted:

Here is some ~math~ courtesy of the Pokemon database (if you are on a browser other than Chrome don't bother clicking, you're probably going to have a terrible experience).

The number in brackets are the amount of Pokemon with that particular type combination.

And the types based on "score". The description already explains it. Steel/Fairy is best, Ice/Rock is the worst:

Problem with this is that it weighs every weakness and resistance equally. Having a weakness to, say, Grass or Psychic, is nowhere near as bad as having a weakness to Ground. Similarly, resisting something like Grass is not as important as resisting something like Fighting or Rock.

Sure, numerically Steel/Fairy is the best defensive type, but that doesn't factor in how common its two weaknesses are, especially Earthquake

That being said, Steel/Fairy IS a great typing, and Rock/Ice IS a garbage one

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Constable Lemon posted:

Problem with this is that it weighs every weakness and resistance equally. Having a weakness to, say, Grass or Psychic, is nowhere near as bad as having a weakness to Ground. Similarly, resisting something like Grass is not as important as resisting something like Fighting or Rock.

Unless Nintendo and Showdown both exposed APIs for battle statistics, I'm not really sure how you could reliably incorporate that type of information.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

It honestly blows my mind how far Psychic type has fallen.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Militree posted:

It honestly blows my mind how far Psychic type has fallen.

It's seriously the worst type in the game. Being weak to Knock Off, Pursuit and U-turn is just brutal and makes them about as bad as rock and ice defensively, and psychic moves have garbage coverage so they aren't even good offensively.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

I am Reverend posted:

It's seriously the worst type in the game. Being weak to Knock Off, Pursuit and U-turn is just brutal and makes them about as bad as rock and ice defensively, and psychic moves have garbage coverage so they aren't even good offensively.
I'd say Ice is still the worst, although I might rank Psychic second nowadays. Ice has a weakness to Stealth Rock and priority moves like Mach Punch, Vaccuum Wave, and Bullet Punch, with only one resistance, itself. This means an Ice type might not even get to do anything before it gets KO'd. Psychic at least has a resistance to Mach Punch and Vaccuum Wave and no Stealth Rock weakness, although they're weak to Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch.

The other problem is that anything Ice types can do, Water types with Ice Beam can generally do better, including resisting Ice-type attacks; the one exception to this rule is maybe Mamoswine. Psychic types also have the advantage of Psyshock (Psystrike for Mewtwo) and generally wide movepools, whereas Ice types generally don't have very many non-STAB options.

But seriously, Gamefreak sort of went overboard nerfing Psychic types, they literally went from one of the best to one of the worst types. Mewtwo is still terrifying as all hell though.:c00lbert:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 8, 2014

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

fade5 posted:

The other problem is that anything Ice types can do, Water types with Ice Beam can generally do better, including resisting Ice-type attacks; the one exception to this rule is maybe Mamoswine. Psychic types also have the advantage of Psyshock (Psystrike for Mewtwo) and generally wide movepools, whereas Ice types generally don't have very many non-STAB options.

Freeze-Dry is a step in the right direction, although it has mediocre base power and lovely distribution. Also even if it was more widely available and had a bump in power there's gently caress all for ice types that could use it, since most ice types with any competitive niche at all are heavily physical.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
Frogman confirmed for smash :allears:

e: vvv all those lame pokemon too I guess

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 8, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mega Lucario also confirmed for smash. Also, Pokemon Trainer is out but Charizard will remain and also be able to transform into Mega Charizard X. :allears:

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

ChaosArgate posted:

Mega Lucario also confirmed for smash. Also, Pokemon Trainer is out but Charizard will remain and also be able to transform into Mega Charizard X. :allears:

Mega X for the Wii U for sure so maybe Mega Y for the 3DS?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cerony posted:

Mega X for the Wii U for sure so maybe Mega Y for the 3DS?

The two games have the same character roster, so that's unlikely. I think Mega Charizard X is the "canon" Cool Charizard though anyway

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
I see ten pages and thought I missed something but it's all fun players vs competitive defense force again.

But anyway Charizard and Greninja in the new brawl, hooray!

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I'm kind of hoping Mewtwo strike back and gets use of Mega Mewtwo X.

I've been trying to work together a Sunny Day based team that uses Mega Houndoom. Of course, Ninetails is going to be included. I was thinking A Slyveon for Baton Pass/Wish for health gain. A Sub/Seed Chlorophyll Venusaur would probably also round it's way in. I don't really know what to do for a physical attacker. I was thinking a WeakNite set with Fire Punch. I also don't know what other 'mon to use to round out the team for spot 6.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I wish Squirtle would stay and be Squirtle Squad :allears:

His super smash could be calling the entire squad in and they collectively shoot a bunch of crap across the screen

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is there a Pokemon that can learn Thunder Wave AND False Swipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Unbound posted:

I'm kind of hoping Mewtwo strike back and gets use of Mega Mewtwo X Y.

Fixed that for you.

Though it's neat to see three of my Champion Team in the Brawl Roster. I feel like I made good choices in my first Pokemon game.

• Locked thread