Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Myriad Truths posted:

Well, I hope you're feeling lucky; you'll only get a single pack's shot at it.

Actually, I think the prerelease is a seeded pack, 2 Journey, 1 Born and 2 Theros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Actually, I think the prerelease is a seeded pack, 2 Journey, 1 Born and 2 Theros.

Huh, so it is. Okay, I'm pretty happy about that change even though it's a little surprising.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Myriad Truths posted:

Huh, so it is. Okay, I'm pretty happy about that change even though it's a little surprising.

It is surprising that a set's prerelease event has more than one pack of said set in each player's pool?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean the Born of the Gods prerelease was 1 seeded, 2 Born, and 3 Theros, so. v:shobon:v

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Lunsku posted:

It is surprising that a set's prerelease event has more than one pack of said set in each player's pool?

The prerelease seeded pack will itself be a pack of Journey cards, so you're functionally getting three packs' worth of cards. That deviation from the 2/2/2 split is unusual, but I like opening and playing with more new cards.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Myriad Truths posted:

The prerelease seeded pack will itself be a pack of Journey cards, so you're functionally getting three packs' worth of cards. That deviation from the 2/2/2 split is unusual, but I like opening and playing with more new cards.

You got 4 packs of Dragon's Maze at that prerelease. And for New Phyrexia, you got 3 Scars/3 New Phyrexia. In fact, I can't recall a single third set prerelease that went 2/2/2.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Brownhat posted:

You got 4 packs of Dragon's Maze at that prerelease. And for New Phyrexia, you got 3 Scars/3 New Phyrexia. In fact, I can't recall a single third set prerelease that went 2/2/2.

Scourge?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Brownhat posted:

Okay. I thought it was reasonable to expect prereleases to follow the same proportions as the regular sealed events, but I haven't been playing that long, so I really would have no idea.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Nope, that was an Onslaught Tournament Pack and 3 Scourge boosters.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I can't wait to see someone flash this in in response to blockers being declared.

Especially when one of the things being blocked is a Boros Reckoner. :getin:

Also, Keranos looks pretty drat good, giving reach in the lategame.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

So wait, if a Reckoner fights with that out would the creature hitting him do double their power in damage, and then the Reckoner's reflected damage is doubled as well? So like him fighting a 3/3 would result in you having 12 damage to point at something?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Gumdrop Larry posted:

So wait, if a Reckoner fights with that out would the creature hitting him do double their power in damage, and then the Reckoner's reflected damage is doubled as well? So like him fighting a 3/3 would result in you having 12 damage to point at something?

Yup. Works just like Furnace of Rath.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
How does a card like that work with assigning damage?

So if you swing with a 5/5 and someone throws up 2 blockers against it, do you have 10 damage to distribute any way you want, or can you only distribute it 1 for 1 and then its doubled? I guess it's only considered a "source of damage" once it's been assigned?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Loving Life Partner posted:

How does a card like that work with assigning damage?

So if you swing with a 5/5 and someone throws up 2 blockers against it, do you have 10 damage to distribute any way you want, or can you only distribute it 1 for 1 and then its doubled? I guess it's only considered a "source of damage" once it's been assigned?

Right. In this instance you would be able to assign 5 damage, which would then be doubled.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Someone posted a sweet interaction with Mortals Ardor, Ajani's Presence, and Boros Reckoner to go infinite on turn four assuming you can get something to damage it, not too difficult to assemble even if it is a three+ card combo since there are other ways of giving Boros indestructible and lifelink. I can't imagine completely building around it but maybe as a sideboard package against certain decks where it happens more frequently?

quote:

I thought I would share what I witnessed at Grand Prix Phoenix this past weekend. I've seen a lot of crazy rumors on twitter and the internet, so out of fairness to Alex I think it makes sense to just get the facts out there.

In Round 12, I was easily defeated by the amiable Florian Koch at Table 41. Next to us, at Table 42, Chris LaVassaur was locked in battle with Alex Bertoncini. As I packed my deck, dice, and pen into my bag, Alex cast the spell Supreme Verdict, wiping Chris's board and leaving Chris with only Mutavault to attack Alex. I noticed that Alex had tapped three blue and one white mana for his Verdict, leaving up another white mana and Mutavault.

I immediately informed Alex that he needed two white for his Verdict and then started to walk away.

Although I don't know Alex personally, his reputation precedes him, so I decided to quickly check out Alex's hand to confirm that this was an honest mistake. As soon as I walked behind him, I noticed the card he had at the front of his hand: Last Breath.

I sprinted to the head judge to let her know what I had witnessed and suggest that they pause the match and investigate. Although I don't know all the details of the on-site investigation, Alex was not assessed a penalty.

It's virtually impossible too prove intent in situations like this, but the combination of a simple board state, motive (the Last Breath vs. opposing Mutavault) and the player's reputation set off alarm bells in my head.

Unfortunately, I don't have information such as life totals, what game it was, or other context. And I made a critical mistake by not forcing the players to pause the match while I got a judge. My instinct was just to run to someone wearing a red shirt, and I followed it.

Please take two things away from this: 1. Protect yourself at all times and please don't be offended when your opponent does the same. Holding your opponent to a high technical standard and calling judges for seemingly minor infractions doesn't mean you are accusing them of cheating. It's making the world a better place. 2. If you see something that doesn't look right, pause the match and find a judge. Don't let the players keep playing. I blew it, and I regret it.

Best regards, Paul Rietzl

2explores is supposedly a decent player when he wants to be so I can't imagine he accidentally tapped wrong. He knows what he was doing. Just a shame they don't have someone shadowing him more. The key thing about him compared to other people is that when he makes an "accident" its always in his favor when other players make accidents its a missed beneficial trigger or something.

edit: D'oh should have checked last page. Leaving it up for redundancy.

Korak fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 8, 2014

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Why lifelink?
Boros charm + Dictate of the Twin Gods + reckoner
Redirect to itself until its big enough to redirect to an opponent.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Korak posted:

upposedly a decent player when he wants to be so I can't imagine he accidentally tapped wrong. He knows what he was doing. Just a shame they don't have someone shadowing him more. The key thing about him compared to other people is that when he makes an "accident" its always in his favor when other players make accidents its a missed beneficial trigger or something.

Take this as you will, but a friend of mine played him at a Legacy open a couple months ago. It was the win and in match for top 8 for one, top 16 for the other. Bertoncini was playing sloppily, mis-tapping things, making little 'mistakes', right until my friend got him with the second GRV of the match. From that second on he apparently started playing super tightly and with zero mistakes, and announcing everything perfectly clearly. Whether it was intentional or not, it looks a bit off.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
edit: moved to buy/sell thread

the fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 8, 2014

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Korak posted:

Someone posted a sweet interaction with Mortals Ardor, Ajani's Presence, and Boros Reckoner to go infinite on turn four assuming you can get something to damage it, not too difficult to assemble even if it is a three+ card combo since there are other ways of giving Boros indestructible and lifelink. I can't imagine completely building around it but maybe as a sideboard package against certain decks where it happens more frequently?

T3: Reckoner
T4: Ardor, Presence, Lightning Strike?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
How do infinite life things play out in tournaments? I see rules about loops and mandatory loops are a draw etc, but not practical examples, so if someone hits that combo on Reckoner then says "Okay, I have 1,000,000 life, go", if you don't scoop you can just play the game like normal, try to deck them if possible, etc?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

How do infinite life things play out in tournaments? I see rules about loops and mandatory loops are a draw etc, but not practical examples, so if someone hits that combo on Reckoner then says "Okay, I have 1,000,000 life, go", if you don't scoop you can just play the game like normal, try to deck them if possible, etc?

Yup, if there's a controllable, non-random, infinitely repeatable loop that the other player can't or won't interact with, you can just declare where you end the loop and the game proceeds.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

You have to pick a number (usually some variation of 69 million, because we're all 13 when it comes to Magic), then play continues. The opponent is under no obligation to scoop (and the number of cards left in your deck is public information.

Fun fact: Malignus and Furnace of Rath make an awesome combo to beat infinite life.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
So that means that you could have 2 different infinite combos in your deck, one that gains life, and one that creates infinite damage, we could also do this mid-attackers phase with Iroas, so now we have redundancy a little bit.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I remember a couple of people trying to set up infinite life with Reckoner using Boros Charm and Unflinching Courage when Dragon's Maze first came out. It wasn't especially practical, but I can see that repeating when JOU hits and the first few weeks following it since a couple of one drop instants would presumably be a lot more feasible.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

Take this as you will, but a friend of mine played him at a Legacy open a couple months ago. It was the win and in match for top 8 for one, top 16 for the other. Bertoncini was playing sloppily, mis-tapping things, making little 'mistakes', right until my friend got him with the second GRV of the match. From that second on he apparently started playing super tightly and with zero mistakes, and announcing everything perfectly clearly. Whether it was intentional or not, it looks a bit off.

This is, for the record, how Bertoncini was described as acting before the suspension. He'd play sloppily, but only in ways that benefitted him or had no effect on the match. People caught on when they noticed that his sloppy plays never made things worse for him, and that he could play with laser precision when he needed to.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I remember a couple of people trying to set up infinite life with Reckoner using Boros Charm and Unflinching Courage when Dragon's Maze first came out.

Boros Charm and Azorius Charm was the mixture of choice in Gatecrash. I never saw the Naya decks trying it with Unflinching Courage, but I was generally playing decks that Courage wouldn't come in against.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
There's a couple on camera infinite life loops from last standard when American Control was running Boros Reckoner. redstormpopcorn yes that also would work. As with anything someone will test it out and see how consistent it is. What I do like is that none of the cards are completely terrible by themselves. Just indestructible against a Polukranos or a Demon is fine when you can redirect to kill it or go to the face. Boros Charm is still a very good card in this meta.

L0cke17 several people have said that about him. He's a less sloppy player on game 3. Since coming back he's been top 16ing almost every event which is "impressive" to say the least.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Dictate of Keranos goes right into my Zedruu deck as another Howling Mine I can pass off to someone else, as well as my Nekusar!

Man this is some fun stuff.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Can any chicagoland goons here point me in the direction of which stores have competitive fnm scenes, other than the past times location in niles (literal hole in wall) and the hotsauce locations

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Lunsku posted:

From DCI Tournament Rules:

IIRC GP day 2 is Professional REL.

:doh: somehow missed that he was talking about Day 2. I could have sworn the announcement over the loudspeaker was on Saturday, but I remembered incorrectly.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

qbert posted:

Quick rules question. Say I have a white creature bestowed with another white creature. What happens if I give my creature pro white, say with a God's Willing? Does the bestow dude fall off and become a creature, or does it go to the graveyard?

Here's the rule.

quote:

702.102e. If an Aura with bestow is attached to an illegal object or player, it becomes unattached. This is an exception to rule 704.5n.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Applebees posted:

Here's the rule.

There are Bestow cards that are Enchant Player? Did I miss something or are they just covering all their potential bases?

(It sounded like a great idea at least)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Tardigrade posted:

There are Bestow cards that are Enchant Player? Did I miss something or are they just covering all their potential bases?

(It sounded like a great idea at least)

There aren't yet, but there's no reason there couldn't be, and it's a pretty inexpensive form of future-proofing. The only enchantable thing that isn't an object is a player, so that covers it all.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

They're just copying the wording from the rule that it is an exception to so as not to have any weird loopholes.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LordSaturn posted:

There aren't yet, but there's no reason there couldn't be, and it's a pretty inexpensive form of future-proofing. The only enchantable thing that isn't an object is a player, so that covers it all.

Magic's rules say I'm not an object, I'm a human being.

How existentially gratifying. :unsmith:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm not saying the outcome is bad, because I really like bestow in practice, but it's hilarious to me that the way they addressed all the potential disadvantages of Auras was by going down the list and putting in corner case exemptions for all of them. "Countered on resolution? Placed into graveyard? All those other things that the rules say happen? They, uh, don't happen in this new case. Because we said so."

Basically, it seems that Auras were (broadly speaking) so bad that in the end the best way to make them good was by going "nuh uh" whenever the game tries to make one of the bad things happen.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah, while bestow is a cool mechanic, to me it also seems kind of inelegant. I like mechanics and cards that break the rules within the rules, instead of just rewriting rules. But it's tricky with auras, because making them not super powerful just makes them very bad, whereas making them really powerful can make the game too swingy. Just look at what the ordeals do to theros limited, and they're not all that powerful

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

JerryLee posted:

I'm not saying the outcome is bad, because I really like bestow in practice, but it's hilarious to me that the way they addressed all the potential disadvantages of Auras was by going down the list and putting in corner case exemptions for all of them. "Countered on resolution? Placed into graveyard? All those other things that the rules say happen? They, uh, don't happen in this new case. Because we said so."

Basically, it seems that Auras were (broadly speaking) so bad that in the end the best way to make them good was by going "nuh uh" whenever the game tries to make one of the bad things happen.

Yeah I think basically once you commit to the premise of Bestow (we want Aura Creatures that aren't susceptible to the inherent card disadvantage Auras represent) then you've committed yourself to going down and ticking each one of these little corner cases. It's totally inelegant but they decided that it was better to inoculate Bestow against blowouts than have a clean rule.

I'm fine with that. Bestow is weird and clunky but it's easily the most interesting thing to come out of the block design-wise.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

JerryLee posted:

The design space for auras is so brutally restrictive that it's hard to understand why you'd say that is a bad thing. Auras were basically never a good idea and most of the historical examples of playable ones only highlight how lovely the original design was. Besides, bestow is certainly a great deal more elegant and fun to play with than equipment, which is the other serious attempt to fix them.

Show of hands for more enjoyable gamestates - Hopeful Eidolon or Loxodon Warhamer?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Spiderdrake posted:

The design space for auras is so brutally restrictive that it's hard to understand why you'd say that is a bad thing.

I said the outcome isn't bad in my opinion, but if anyone tries to claim that it was an elegant solution I'll probably disagree to my dying day v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Spiderdrake posted:

Besides, bestow is certainly a great deal more elegant and fun to play with than equipment, which is the other serious attempt to fix them.

I'm not going to quibble over 'fun' but there's no way Equipment is less elegant than Bestow. You'd never see them make Bestow evergreen in a million years.

• Locked thread