Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jesus
Oct 7, 2003
He died for your booty.

Makes sense. If I thought the Russians had annexed Miami, I'd want us to intervene too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Please tell me that there are towns called Ukraine in the US and that people seriously didn't think Russia invaded them.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I'm pretty sure the people who answered that Ukraine was in the midwestern U.S. were just loving with the surveyors.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I have a feeling that maps/surveys like that really measure the baseline rate of people who gently caress with surveys.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Rumda posted:

Please tell me that there are towns called Ukraine in the US and that people seriously didn't think Russia invaded them.

But nobpdy thinks Russia invaded Mexico. That would just be silly.

e:

Bates fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 8, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Looks mostly accurate honestly.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
What's the worse explanation for those dots in the US, that people thought Russia invaded the US or that they weren't aware that's where the US is?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rumda posted:

They asked someone where Ukraine was and were told "about 500 miles northwest of Georgia".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I like the dot in the Falkland Islands.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
"The Ukraine? Oh, yeah that big glacier that is by Canada and Iceland".

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Torrannor posted:

I like the dot in the Falkland Islands.

Yeah I think that's my favorite. Explains why Raygun was so ready to help Big Mags out!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

made of bees posted:

What's the worse explanation for those dots in the US, that people thought Russia invaded the US or that they weren't aware that's where the US is?

I'd say its people that didn't know and just chose a random spot.

Spoeank posted:

It's very interesting that there is a straight line corresponding to some line of latitude in the middle of Russia & Western China. People (mostly) seem to know it's in Europe or maybe the Middle East and not Asia, and that's reflected on this map. That's pretty neat.

Yeah that looks... wrong. There is no distinguishing feature along that line; its basically middle of nowhere Russia. It makes me wonder if there was a different version of the map that didn't show the entire world, and that was a border. But no that doesn't make sense, because why would people choose right at the border? Still seems wrong to me, the line is way too straight.

And Kazakhstan is a fairly reasonable guess on this thing too. Massive Eurasian steppe? Check.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Nevermind the US, what's with the clump of guesses on Ellesmere Island? (What Google Maps tells me the big Canadian island near Greenland is called.) To be fair, I'd be worried if Russia was annexing huge chunks of Canada too.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Darth Various posted:

Nevermind the US, what's with the clump of guesses on Ellesmere Island? (What Google Maps tells me the big Canadian island near Greenland is called.) To be fair, I'd be worried if Russia was annexing huge chunks of Canada too.

Yeah, they'd really prosper well with even more frozen wasteland under their rule.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darth Various posted:

It's not too far from Russia.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

quote:

college graduates (21 percent correct) were more likely to know where Ukraine was than non-college graduates (13 percent correct)
American education system.txt

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I like the vertical line right next to Mongolia. Clicking anything east of that would require you to scroll on a 4:3 ratio monitor.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Peanut President posted:

"where Ukraine was/is" is defined as "put the dot in the right borders", though.

If you had asked them what region Ukraine was in you'd probably have at least double of those numbers.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

computer parts posted:

"where Ukraine was/is" is defined as "put the dot in the right borders", though.

If you had asked them what region Ukraine was in you'd probably have at least double of those numbers.

So what? If you asked them what continent it would be even higher.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
How many people put the dot in the Crimea and were then marked wrong?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Modern Day Hercules posted:

So what? If you asked them what continent it would be even higher.

Because it's not terribly relevant where exactly Ukraine is outside of "Eastern Europe". The only vaguely important thing would be the fact that it sits on the Black Sea because that explains the importance of Crimea (and if you notice, the other red spots are countries that border the Black Sea).

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Peanut President posted:

Most people have never had Ukraine on their mind and they're not a country that really comes up in the news at all before now. It's not really unexpected most people wouldn't know exactly where Ukraine is like most Europeans probably don't know exactly where Indiana is(or Ghana to use a country)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Preferably everyone would know exactly where every country is

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Whenever Europeans complain that Americans don't know anything about the rest of the world what they really mean is that Americans don't know anything about Europe.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Farecoal posted:

Preferably everyone would know exactly where every country is

Not knowing where is the largest country in Europe is kind-of strange no matter where you live.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kalstrams posted:

Not knowing where is the largest country in Europe is kind-of strange no matter where you live.

But we know where Russia is? :confused:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

computer parts posted:

Because it's not terribly relevant where exactly Ukraine is outside of "Eastern Europe". The only vaguely important thing would be the fact that it sits on the Black Sea because that explains the importance of Crimea (and if you notice, the other red spots are countries that border the Black Sea).

It becomes increasingly relevant if people are discussing military action against that country. Just as language, ethnic groups, history, resources and so forth are relevant to US foreign policy and especially where going to war with Russia is concerned.

If someone backs a military attack, I'd hope they'd know quite a bit about the place to be attacked, otherwise they just back it because the TV tells them to. Which is kinda the point of that map I think.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

computer parts posted:

But we know where Russia is? :confused:

That is another problem. Some people like to call Russia a European country for some obscure reasons.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Count Roland posted:

It becomes increasingly relevant if people are discussing military action against that country. Just as language, ethnic groups, history, resources and so forth are relevant to US foreign policy and especially where going to war with Russia is concerned.

If someone backs a military attack, I'd hope they'd know quite a bit about the place to be attacked, otherwise they just back it because the TV tells them to. Which is kinda the point of that map I think.

I'll be concerned when this is a poll of Congressmen.

kalstrams posted:

That is another part problem. Some people like to call Russia a European country for some obscure reasons.

Because It's in Europe.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If Russia gets to be European, so does Turkey and Kazakhstan.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

computer parts posted:

I'll be concerned when this is a poll of Congressmen.

If that's your argument then you might as well not even ask anybody anything because there's absolutely nothing about Ukraine that is relevant to the average American. Even if we went to war with Ukraine the average American wouldn't need to know poo poo about Ukraine. What difference would it make?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

cheerfullydrab posted:

77% of Russia's population lives in Europe, compared to 12% for Turkey and 4% of Kazakhstan. Russian is a Slavic Language and Russia is mostly Christian.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

cheerfullydrab posted:

And Israel

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

esquilax posted:

77% of Russia's population lives in Europe, compared to 12% for Turkey and 4% of Kazakhstan. Russian is a Slavic Language and Russia is mostly Christian.

Though Turkey had a pretty major bid to join the EU before everything went to poo poo.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'm fine with that.

I used to be terrible at geography then I got addicted to Paradox games and now I can pretty much tell you the exact borders, population, ethnicity, and religion of Count Podunk IV Bumfuck's realm in 1128AD.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
It can't be much less European than Belarus or Ukraine.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

cheerfullydrab posted:

They are in UEFA, so I say, why not?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Modern Day Hercules posted:

If that's your argument then you might as well not even ask anybody anything because there's absolutely nothing about Ukraine that is relevant to the average American. Even if we went to war with Ukraine the average American wouldn't need to know poo poo about Ukraine. What difference would it make?

Depends on what you mean by relevant. The average American needn't know anything at all about the outside world. For the country to function they need merely to work and buy things. If you assume a democratic nation should have educated citizens in order to elect responsible representatives to act on their behalf, you might be concerned.

But nobody should be surprised by this, or think it is limited to the US.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

It's can't be much less European than Belarus or Ukraine.

Unlike Belarus or Ukraine, Russia's core territory is not completely, and not even primarily, within Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
For a while my only knowledge of Ukraine was flying missions over it in Jane's Flight Simulator.