Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codeorange
Jul 11, 2012
I love how during the memory download scene, we see that Rick had done experiments on electrocuting Morties with car batteries, even though he claimed to have not done it.

Sakarja posted:

Most of them have been great, but "Jerry is a loser" is getting pretty worn out at this point. But it isn't really that his stories are bad at all, it's just that he's already gotten plenty of them, while we've seen very little of Beth.

It's not just generic "Jerry is a loser" scenarios, it's exploring his character as a loser from a variety of angles. Previously, they explored his failing marriage, his terrible career record and that he's really dumb. Now we get to see that not only is he insecure, but he's also terrible at picking friends. I'm looking forward to seeing how much more of a fuckup he can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'm pretty sure the Citadel of Ricks is a Mass Effect reference. The design, the council chamber thingy, and the fact that they call it "The Citadel of Ricks."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

I'm pretty sure the Citadel of Ricks is a Mass Effect reference. The design, the council chamber thingy, and the fact that they call it "The Citadel of Ricks."

Rick-tually. it's this.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That Rick was a great friend. What he told Jerry about his coin collection was positively heartwarming.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WickedHate posted:

That Rick was a great friend. What he told Jerry about his coin collection was positively heartwarming.

Yeah, that Rick was easily the nicest Rick in the entire multiverse (which isn't saying much but still), I wouldn't mind having a friend like that. :unsmith:

I do hope one of the up coming episodes focuses on Beth, every other character has gotten way more screen time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's only one upcoming episode, dog.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I thought the fakeout was going to go the other way and the retarded Rick would have been pulling the strings, there's a line where he's describing the evil spectrum Rick between them as being ''totally weird''. That fit doofus Rick to a tee.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AxeManiac posted:

Couldn't remote control eye patch Morty actually be the "one Morty to rule them all" and he had to get all the Morty's together to defeat that Rick, being the only way to free himself...

Yeah that's how I read it. Like he somehow at some time defeated his Rick, usurped him, thought of a plot to free the Mortys while pawning it off still as Evil Rick so he wouldn't come to the attention of the Council of Ricks.

Great episode either way.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Oh my sweet Christ, that episode was even denser with content (and humor) than I realized: as I learned from a post on another forum--sadly I wasn't able to realize this for myself--the "ovenless brownies" that "Doofus" Rick made for Jerry were probably not normal brownies, at least not as understood on Jerry's world.

WickedHate posted:

And filled with sound economics. You just have to allow for the shift in the sense of the word "value" used in different parts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SymfonyMan posted:

Yeah that's how I read it. Like he somehow at some time defeated his Rick, usurped him, thought of a plot to free the Mortys while pawning it off still as Evil Rick so he wouldn't come to the attention of the Council of Ricks.

Great episode either way.

I have a feeling that if he was trying to free the Mortys he wouldn't have imprisoned them all and hooked hundreds of them up to the Torturedome. Especially since you only need to torture like five Mortys, max.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Onomarchus posted:

Oh my sweet Christ, that episode was even denser with content (and humor) than I realized: as I learned from a post on another forum--sadly I wasn't able to realize this for myself--the "ovenless brownies" that "Doofus" Rick made for Jerry were probably not normal brownies, at least not as understood on Jerry's world.

Never accept "ovenless brownies" from a known poo poo eater.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

The Insect Court posted:

One of the best parts of R&M's writing is the sort of metafiction-y self-aware stuff that gets put in. Like the Ricks drawing the red Xes on their foreheads, or the line about the space depot just happening to have lab coats and shirts. Reminds me a little bit of pre-decline The Simpsons.

It's just as likely it's a 'Morty was temporarily de-aged" joke.

I loved the moment when Morty frees Rick while being chided that this is "no time for arcs."

Loved it more when they called it back at the end: "So is it time for arcs now, Rick?"

MariusLecter posted:

Probably some kind of lizard.

Don't think about it.

CoolCab posted:

I thought the fakeout was going to go the other way and the retarded Rick would have been pulling the strings, there's a line where he's describing the evil spectrum Rick between them as being ''totally weird''. That fit doofus Rick to a tee.

I half expected this too, but love the twist they actually went with.

Maybe Rick put his brain in Evil Morty's body? Although, I'd prefer to think Evil Morty is from a dimension where Morty is the genius and Rick is the disguise. I don't think they were both geniuses, though. When Robo-Rick gets mobbed by Mortys, he seems rather nonplussed by his impending death from enraged Mortys. This says to me he had no free will of his own. Evil Morty certainly has a good camouflage in a herd of Mortys, though.

The moment when Robo-Rick called C137 out on crying adds another layer. Rick clearly cares about his family, but showing it is decidedly "unRick" which forces him to come off as callous. But it almost seems like an act for the other Ricks than something he genuinely feels. Over and over we see him stand up for his family and try to make their lives better or make them better people (in his view).

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
The entire time I was expecting the episode to end with a homage to Jet Li's "The One" with the eye-patch Rick left in an interdenominational prison, although the mastermind Morty reveal was even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws8JocOpkvY

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

zoux posted:

I have a feeling that if he was trying to free the Mortys he wouldn't have imprisoned them all and hooked hundreds of them up to the Torturedome. Especially since you only need to torture like five Mortys, max.

Well, he was probably taking a page from Rick there and just using them to get what he wanted, freedom from his evil genius captor.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also I really liked the "The call is coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE" gag.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Maybe Rick put his brain in Evil Morty's body? Although, I'd prefer to think Evil Morty is from a dimension where Morty is the genius and Rick is the disguise. I don't think they were both geniuses, though.
Holy poo poo. Doofy Rick said he was given a Morty because he never had kids. What if he was lying? What if him and Evil Morty are an original pair?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I liked how Rick commented on the "Morty Matrix" as being bad craftmanship and how he had thought of a much more efficient setup (with 5 Mortys and a jumper cable) since it turns out it wasn't a Rick that built it :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This was a superb episode. Gags were in high form, but the plot was truly excellent. I love how all the Ricks treasure Beth (I like Beth). Shame Summer didn't apparently have anything to do. I thought doofus Rick was rather touching and sweet, even if he eats poo poo :unsmith:.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Winklebottom posted:

I liked how Rick commented on the "Morty Matrix" as being bad craftmanship and how he had thought of a much more efficient setup (with 5 Mortys and a jumper cable) since it turns out it wasn't a Rick that built it :v:
Also it wasn't really for the purpose of hiding Rick, but to free as many Morties from Ricks as possible without raising suspicion.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

JT Jag posted:

Holy poo poo. Doofy Rick said he was given a Morty because he never had kids. What if he was lying? What if him and Evil Morty are an original pair?

This makes perfect sense. When Doofy Rick is with Evil Morty it hides Evil Morty's genius brainwave pattern the in the same way a regular Morty and Rick pairing works.

Also: Evil Morty uses Doofy Rick as his man on the inside to spy on the council of Rick's. NO ONE EVER SUSPECTS THE poo poo EATER!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Also it wasn't really for the purpose of hiding Rick, but to free as many Morties from Ricks as possible without raising suspicion.

"Free" being a relative term :v:

Here's the music from the ending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Js-XbNj6Tk

For the Damaged Coda by Blonde Redhead.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I really want to see the Council of Jerries some episode.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm glad we've established what a poo poo-eater haircut looks like.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Onomarchus posted:

I really want to see the Council of Jerries some episode.

Once they get more than 5 of them in the room they just start doing mass suicides.

Yodzilla posted:

I'm glad we've established what a poo poo-eater haircut looks like.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doofus Rick reminded me Jerry Lewis' Nutty Professor.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

JT Jag posted:

I figure the Mortys were held captive as spare parts when some of the shield Mortys eventually died from blood loss and exposure.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

johntfs posted:

I figure the Mortys were held captive as spare parts when some of the shield Mortys eventually died from blood loss and exposure.
Maybe Evil Morty was willing to sacrifice a few other Mortys for the greater good, but I figure he was always planning to get caught eventually, but only after killing as many Ricks and capturing as many other Mortys as possible, and blending into the crowd. I think the entire purpose of his plan was to free Mortys from the tyranny of Rick and send them off to normal lives: he's the real One Morty.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Such a great episode. I love the worldbuilding in these. Or world weirdness.

Affi fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 8, 2014

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hey Typical, this was supposed to be the season finale in terms of production order right? It felt that way.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

The "I'll explain when you're older" line may mean, at the very least, that "our" Rick saw a cocky Morty die or need replacing, and thus he doesn't want to tell his Morty about this. (During the episode Rick is reluctant to let other Ricks let on to his Morty about the distinct possibility of Morty death or injury.) However, it's also a further possibility that his own prior Morty (probably his original one but maybe just a prior one serving as his companion) got cocky and has been replaced with his current Morty, "our" Morty, one way or another. (He could "replace" a Morty by personally replacing the Rick for that Morty.) That would especially explain why he would not want to tell Morty now but offer to later, as opposed to either just explaining now or waving it off entirely with no possibility of future explanation. This would fit in well with the puppet Rick being similar to our Rick in that puppet Rick--I'm assuming puppet Rick was the Rick that went with Eyepatch Rick, but I realize the show isn't afraid of adding complexity--had a cocky Morty and so our Rick's original Morty would be likely to also get cocky.

I don't fully endorse this theory or anything. I don't like how it contradicts the idea that our Morty is that original Morty and is thereby, due to the similar Ricks = similar Morties equation, also a Morty that will stand up to a Rick (i.e. a Morty that might get "cocky"), one of likely multiple "One True Mort[ies]," and is in fact the/a Morty that Eyepatch Morty was intent on finding.

This show is complicated to talk about. In a good way.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

...it would still make sence if he took over t some point after evil Rick had imprisoned them. Your point isn't exclusive of how I read it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
To people complaining about the absence of Doc and Mharty, I'm pretty sure that the cowboy Rick and Morty are actually them, because Back to the Future 3. That's my head canon now. :v:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SymfonyMan posted:

...it would still make sence if he took over t some point after evil Rick had imprisoned them. Your point isn't exclusive of how I read it.

You all are forgetting that Evil Morty (through Robo-Rick) seemed to admire his "Symphony of Mortys" a little too much. A Rick would have seen the Morty-Matrix as a means to an end, Evil Morty seems to enjoy it for itself. He has probably been twisted by his experiences and sees other Mortys as lessers, much like Rick-C137 looks down on other Ricks.

Also, the blasé nature of the various Citadel Ricks seems to suggest that most Mortys know they are expendable (and replaceable).

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You all are forgetting that Evil Morty (through Robo-Rick) seemed to admire his "Symphony of Mortys" a little too much...

Anything said as Evil Rick would all be part of the ploy. I'm not trying to goon out or read more into it; it's just how I saw how it was written.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Hazo posted:

Hey Typical, this was supposed to be the season finale in terms of production order right? It felt that way.

I think this one was production code 106.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Since the Robot Rick was downloading Rick Prime's memories, I think Evil Morty's true motivation was to "restore" a Rick as close to his own as possible.

He lost his Rick somewhere along the way and just wanted him back. He doesn't give a flying gently caress about the other Morty's.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

AxeManiac posted:

Once they get more than 5 of them in the room they just start doing mass suicides.

You never go full retard.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Maybe the reason Rick decided to pop back into Beth's life is that he lost his previous Morty and didn't want to have to go through the Council to get a new one.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

bull3964 posted:

Since the Robot Rick was downloading Rick Prime's memories, I think Evil Morty's true motivation was to "restore" a Rick as close to his own as possible.

He lost his Rick somewhere along the way and just wanted him back. He doesn't give a flying gently caress about the other Morty's.

Rick Prime? So are we going to have a Crisis on Infinite Ricks soon?

I like to believe that our Rick, isn't nearly as cold hearted as he'd like us to believe. He does actually care for his daughter, and probably popped in every now and again to check on her, Morty, and probably point and laugh at Jerry before vanishing again with his portal gun. I'm guessing we'll find out at some point.

What I like most, is there are so many possibilities where Rick and Morty could go, and they seem to be opening a bunch of doors for possible storylines if they ever want to use them. (Or, dick with us, by getting our hopes up.) It seems with this, that they've established a bigger world than what we may ever see again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Man that was a great episode, I guess that explains why Rick doesn't like things like councils, but there's a council of Ricks. The other Ricks are lame. Not sure if I like that idea as an answer, and it was weird seeing Rick kill other Ricks during the escape. Knowing they're alternate versions of the main characters made it kinda strange.

I thought the desings for the leaders of the Council of Ricks were a reference to The Three Most Important People in the World from Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure, but sadly not.

Also apprently eating poop stops you going bald. Doofus Rick has a full head of hair!

• Locked thread