Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Kavak posted:

Where do you go that there are multiple shootings a month on campus?

My brother is graduating from the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis at the end of this semester and got a part time job as a security guard because people keep getting robbed/raped/murdered. It's dismal right now so the campus is bolstering the security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Can someone please explain what the gently caress the deal is with college kids and The Rocky Horror Picture Show?

This is something that has been nagging at me for over a decade.

Why do people dress up and get together at regular intervals to watch it and throw toast at the TV and whatever? It sounds like I'm being facetious, but I'm dead serious--I really don't understand this at all :smith:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Can someone please explain what the gently caress the deal is with college kids and The Rocky Horror Picture Show?

Why do people dress up and get together at regular intervals to watch it and throw toast at the TV and whatever? It sounds like I'm being facetious, but I'm dead serious--I really don't understand this at all :smith:

It's fun!

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
That one (usually older) person who has to make every lecture and tutorial about themselves by asking questions that could be answered in 2 minutes out of class talking to the lecturer and don't add anything to the learning of the rest of the class. I'll blow a blood vessel if this guy takes up another 5 minutes of lecture at a time saying a lot of words but not actually saying anything meaningful.

Also, all my assignments and nice and evenly spaced across the semester. Except that every single one comes in pairs. Not a real hindrance since it helps me figure out what I have to get done but it annoys me for some reason.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Performing Art students being quirky, that's it. I think the movie is garbage, so I never got the cult appeal of the film.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tunicate posted:

It's fun!

Forceholy posted:

Performing Art students being quirky, that's it. I think the movie is garbage, so I never got the cult appeal of the film.

Now that I think about it, it usually is theatre and film students. And they do seem to have a good time at it.

I just don't understand. Why that film? If it's gotta be lovely, why not Killer Condom or Terror Tunes? Or why not watch something good like Blade Runner instead and shine flashlights in their eyes while drinking heavily?

Why do they try and recruit so aggressively? "OHMYGOD YOU'VE NEVER SEEN IT YOU ARE SO COMING TONIGHT!"

I swear to God I'll get to the bottom of this Tim-Curry-in-drag conspiracy one day :argh:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Why is there at least one person in every class that thinks he or she will get away with plagiarizing Wikipedia?

Bonus points if the cut & pasted content contains intentional inaccuracies :bravo:

One of the first years that is doing the course I'm about to finish asked me for help in formatting his assignment.
He loving cited Wikipedia unironically. Myself and one of my classmates had to explain to him why that is frowned upon.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The Rocky Horror film showings (plus accompanying rice throwing and costumes and all) has been a thing for the better part of 30 years at least. My mother was doing the same thing when she lived in Atlanta in the 80s. It's just a quirky thing that people do, and it IS fun. I never particularly liked the movie but I enjoyed getting together with a bunch of people in costume who were having a good time singing and drinking. Some of the dances from the movie are pretty fun as well! I was a history major, for the record, not a theatre/fine arts student.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

TunaSpleen posted:

Plus, not every STEM field is hopping in demand. I study evolutionary biology--aside from scant positions at colleges and natural history museums, I may as well become an overqualified biology tutor. My advisor specializes in snake systematics but he told me to play up any other areas I'm good at (such as microbiology) to increase my chances of getting a job after my Ph.D.

Yeah. I'm in Marine Biology and hopefully I can segue into fisheries or aquarium related work. Having asthma really killed a good part of the field for me. :( Most places won't let me scuba dive due to it.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

The Rocky Horror film showings (plus accompanying rice throwing and costumes and all) has been a thing for the better part of 30 years at least. My mother was doing the same thing when she lived in Atlanta in the 80s. It's just a quirky thing that people do, and it IS fun. I never particularly liked the movie but I enjoyed getting together with a bunch of people in costume who were having a good time singing and drinking. Some of the dances from the movie are pretty fun as well! I was a history major, for the record, not a theatre/fine arts student.

I'm the opposite, I love the movie/music but the one time I went to a show the audience was so horrific that I'm scared to ever go again. I am a STEM major for demographics purposes
:goonsay:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I've only got like 1 class that's not 70% personal digressions from the professor (anything from rules to movies to politics), I just want to get this over with, why must it be dragged out?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So remember that class I took with the pony on the course outline? I just got this in my e-mail.

"Part of the exam is on an image I will provide. The other part will be based on an image you bring in. You need to find an example of a meme (or image macro). You will be writing an essay on the visual references and meaning of your chosen image"

OH MY GOD WHY

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Picnic Princess posted:

So remember that class I took with the pony on the course outline? I just got this in my e-mail.

"Part of the exam is on an image I will provide. The other part will be based on an image you bring in. You need to find an example of a meme (or image macro). You will be writing an essay on the visual references and meaning of your chosen image"

OH MY GOD WHY

Do dickbutt.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Or Goatse, if you could get away with it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Go with Foul Bachelorette Frog and find the grossest one possible.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Do iittt, Goatse might be too obscene.

Or Loss.jpg.

EDIT: Tribute.avi?
Man I wish I had this assignment :allears:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

How Rude posted:

Do iittt, Goatse might be too obscene.

Or Loss.jpg.

EDIT: Tribute.avi?
Man I wish I had this assignment :allears:

Loss will have to work if dickbutt's too explicit.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Go retro: Mr. T Ate My Balls

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I hate how every time my alma mater wins a national championship, some dipshit has to flip a car and light things on fire.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm digging these ideas, actually. I could easily write a ton of poo poo about Loss.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Or you could act serious (which is what I would do because I am a lame dude and is worth thinking about if Goatse/Dickbutt/Other Shock Images are deemed "inappropriate") and do Scumbag Steve and how it reminds us of ex-friends and toxic people we still rant about years later.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The talk a few pages back about all the crazy spending by administration, even during budget crunches, really reminded me of my alma mater, San Jose State. There's an article about it from a few days ago: http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_25508652/san-jose-state-other-california-campuses-raising-fees?source=social

Yeah, the only state school more expensive is Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. But that's a really drat good school, and SJSU is... SJSU.

The one thing the article doesn't mention is all the new construction going on. They're expanding the student union - the old concrete/brutalist one did need an update, but their idea is to stick another loving building onto the side of it. And they've completely gutted the athletic areas and are revamping them. This is the same school where the education department still uses chalkboards (teachers have to bring their own chalk) and the theater department has an elevator that can only fit 2 people at a time (or 1 wheelchair, if it's a very narrow one).

So glad I'm out of there. I burn the letters they send me begging for money. gently caress the SJSU administration.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Loss and the whole of Ctl-Alt-Del is a really interesting foray into an artists fanbase being overly receptive toward any work done regardless of quality, leading to a weekly internet strip about video games having an arc where one of the characters has a miscarriage.

do it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Why is there at least one person in every class that thinks he or she will get away with plagiarizing Wikipedia?

Bonus points if the cut & pasted content contains intentional inaccuracies :bravo:

Why do teachers think it's okay to vandalize Wikipedia just to catch plagiarists? I mean, more than just students use Wikipedia.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So my professor for a Poetry course doesn't get Emily Dickinson's Hope.

Not even in a "Well here are the main interpretations but I'm never able to decide" way. Just a straight up "I guess I don't like Emily Dickinson." In the first loving meeting.

Dickinson's not my favorite either. But I can at least talk about her for more than 45 seconds. And I'm not being given a goddamn salary to do so.

She also starts every writing session by ringing a Tibetan singing bowl and having the class meditate.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

paragon1 posted:

Why do teachers think it's okay to vandalize Wikipedia just to catch plagiarists? I mean, more than just students use Wikipedia.

What's this mean? I've never heard of such shenanigans but they sound interesting.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Razorwired posted:

She also starts every writing session by ringing a Tibetan singing bowl and having the class meditate.

This is the kind of poo poo that irritates me in college right now. I had a class exactly like this last semester where the professor was more interested in teaching us to meditate than teaching us about the politics of former Soviet satellite states. And the worst part is I have a class on feminism right now that begins every single day with the class joining hands and focusing "all negativity" into the center of the room so our discussion will be "bountiful". She doesn't shut up about "somatics" and how they make us all better. It really irritates me that I pay $30,000 a semester for that poo poo.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

paragon1 posted:

Lots of people vandalize Wikipedia for lots of different reasons. There was a contest right here on SA years ago where people would make subtle changes and see whose wrong edits would last the longest.

I can't say I've ever heard of an educator doing it just to catch his or her students cheating, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened, especially if the instructions for the project specifically forbade the use of Wikipedia for research.

When I was teaching, I demonstrated why it's not a good idea to rely on Wikipedia by looking up a few of the writers we were covering in Political Theory that semester until I found a glaring edit. Only took a minute, and I had a great example:

Wikipedia posted:

Benjamin Franklin was one of the founding fathers of the United States of America and a huge pimp.
I suppose you could argue that this is sort of historically accurate :laugh:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Lots of people vandalize Wikipedia for lots of different reasons. There was a contest right here on SA years ago where people would make subtle changes and see whose wrong edits would last the longest.

I can't say I've ever heard of an educator doing it just to catch his or her students cheating, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened, especially if the instructions for the project specifically forbade the use of Wikipedia for research.

When I was teaching, I demonstrated why it's not a good idea to rely on Wikipedia by looking up a few of the writers we were covering in Political Theory that semester until I found a glaring edit. Only took a minute, and I had a great example:

Do you have a link to that SA contest? It sounds amazing. I vaguely remember it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
There were a few weeks where the wiki page for my school claimed that 1% of the students were actual talking dogs who could drive cars.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

My economics teacher had a story about a former teacher who did this at my school, he would set a homework about Louis the XXIII, a made-up French king and then put a completely fake article about him up. He would then get a load of homework back rephrasing the article, then reveal the trick to the class. Only heard about it through other teachers though, he had left by then and I didn't know anyone who was in his class.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

HonorableTB posted:

Do you have a link to that SA contest? It sounds amazing. I vaguely remember it.

Nope. It wasn't officially sanctioned by SA and it's probably long gone, and even if it wasn't, it's probably not a good idea to revisit it. Lots of people are itching for ways to ruin goons' days and proof that they'd been vandalizing Wikipedia might get people in some sort of trouble.

I'm sure that elsewhere on the Internet, similar things have happened that are still available to look at, though.

I remember that they figured out early on that you couldn't touch pages about TV show episodes (especially anime) because your changes would get fixed instantaneously, as if dorky editors were monitoring their carefully-penned Kamen Rider or whatever pages around the clock. The most successful edits were innocuous but recognizable and away from stuff that people were likely to obsess about (anime).

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

nothing to seehere posted:

My economics teacher had a story about a former teacher who did this at my school, he would set a homework about Louis the XXIII, a made-up French king and then put a completely fake article about him up. He would then get a load of homework back rephrasing the article, then reveal the trick to the class. Only heard about it through other teachers though, he had left by then and I didn't know anyone who was in his class.

I once had a teacher in a biology class that had us research dihydrogen monoxide and write a short (paragraph) summary about it. I immediately recognized what it was (H2O) and what the teacher was trying to do (make a point about researching correctly and investigating your sources).

I was the ONLY one in the class that got it. Just about everyone else quoted verbatum the first google result, which is a parody site trying to trick people. :eng99:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Science students coming into a humanities or social science class and saying, "All this is bullshit". I find it almost overly kind that my instructors say "Refine your argument" rather than "You're dumb as poo poo." To be fair this phenomenon isn't contained to science students, but I've had a strong taste of it in my History of Science class. They really do not take well to the idea that plebeian things like language and culture influence the way scientists do science.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I have a philsophy class as part of my science major. I had to sit in class today and watch a video where some woman (who's apparently written some philosophical poo poo on the environment) talked about how if we just lived with 'natural' things, everything would be better. While she was wearing a polyester windbreaker. :cripes:

I'm beginning to see very clearly why Francis Bacon dedicated his life to empiricism. This is a bunch of metaphysical crap.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Nope. It wasn't officially sanctioned by SA and it's probably long gone, and even if it wasn't, it's probably not a good idea to revisit it. Lots of people are itching for ways to ruin goons' days and proof that they'd been vandalizing Wikipedia might get people in some sort of trouble.

I'm sure that elsewhere on the Internet, similar things have happened that are still available to look at, though.

I remember that they figured out early on that you couldn't touch pages about TV show episodes (especially anime) because your changes would get fixed instantaneously, as if dorky editors were monitoring their carefully-penned Kamen Rider or whatever pages around the clock. The most successful edits were innocuous but recognizable and away from stuff that people were likely to obsess about (anime).

This was a subtle edit to an entry on Mike Love from about 2006. I don't know how long it lasted.

I've been out of college for a good while now, but I had senior seminar in history. It was required to graduate and the college was just small enough that it was taught by one professor. Our one and only assignment was to review a book. Not just any book. His book. We had weekly class discussions on it, too.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Are there any fanon crap on the anime pages that are defended to the death from any decent editing? Would those be considered vandalism?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Wow, where are you guys getting these teachers? I do history so it's not exactly out there but the worst I've had are a few puffed up phd sudents ranting about undergrads. :psyduck:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

nothing to seehere posted:

What was the correct response here? Just refuse to do the paper or accuse the teacher of inventing some guy?

If I'm doing an assignment with literally one source of information, I've got to use it no matter how poor it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

A White Guy posted:

I have a philsophy class as part of my science major. I had to sit in class today and watch a video where some woman (who's apparently written some philosophical poo poo on the environment) talked about how if we just lived with 'natural' things, everything would be better. While she was wearing a polyester windbreaker. :cripes:

I'm beginning to see very clearly why Francis Bacon dedicated his life to empiricism. This is a bunch of metaphysical crap.

I agree with you; I had to take an environmental ethics class for my degree and the teacher was so loving pretentious despite being an adjunct not much older than most of his students. The basic premise of the class was that we were supposed to learn that animals have an intrinsic worth equal to that of humans (and other, lesser animals) so one should act accordingly. My problem was that you can argue about the sanctity of the lives of food animals all you want, but if you are inside a classroom feeling good about your ethical superiority rather than lobbying against factory farms, you aren't helping poo poo. I don't even think the guy was a vegetarian since he seemed to take it personally when I suggested that cutting meat out of one's diet for one day a week doesn't help reduce demand for meat (or eggs or dairy) on any sort of appreciable scale.

By the way, I'm not a vegetarian, just pragmatic. Tl dr I do not like philosophy classes. Or philosophy professors.

• Locked thread