Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Natron
Aug 5, 2004

davey4283 posted:

Whats convenient is being able to just grab the console and power cable and hook it up temporarily in the bedroom.

Get your game on in bed without needing a TV.

I did this when I was sick for a few days. It was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
That screen gets a lot of hate and when I first saw it I thought it looked corny too but at the end of the day it's pretty great.

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 8, 2014

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

davey4283 posted:

Whats convenient is being able to just grab the console and power cable and hook it up temporarily in the bedroom.

...I should buy another AC adapter for the Wii U. That's an awesome idea.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Raymond U and Wiimote = $40

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-ra...pg0_Agj04_0_0_0

Not a bad deal.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

About what time is the Nintendo Direct today?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Little over 5 hours from now.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Lizard Wizard posted:

About what time is the Nintendo Direct today?

Should be 6 PM EST, I believe.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
And 11PM UK time, so 5 hours and 18 minutes as of my posting.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!
Predictions: No online, and now when you trip, your character breaks their neck and dies instantly.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Lemming posted:

Predictions: No online, and now when you trip, your character breaks their neck and dies instantly.

Also releasing summer 2015 :haw:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe a dumb question but is there a way to watch the Nintendo direct stream live on the WiiU?

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I thought it was through the shop channel

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

davey4283 posted:

I thought it was through the shop channel

I don't think that is live tho.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

greatn posted:

Maybe a dumb question but is there a way to watch the Nintendo direct stream live on the WiiU?
Just open this up in the WiiU browser http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/04-08-2014/

I've done it before with past directs. Helps that ustream has a html5 player.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Alternatively does UStream have a chromecast app? I could stream the tab but that's a little laggy and desyncs audio sometimes.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Famous TV Dad posted:

I don't think that is live tho.

Yeah, they upload it there a short while afterwards.

Edit: welp, I should read before posting.

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009
Sorry if I missed this being discussed already - is there a way to get 2 player working on the virtual console Super Mario Kart? I can get both the tablet and a Wii Classic controller to both somehow register as player 1 but that's it?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you touch the gamepad screen or pull ZR then touch the wiimote lights button, though the gamepad has to be player 2.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

To clarify- a Wiimote or Pro Controller will always function as the player # it's lit up as, while the Gamepad can be assigned to any player from the VC menu.

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009
Thanks guys!

Can't get the Wii mote to work (although I thought it was supposed to) but after a bit of fiddling finally got classic controller + GamePad going.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

davey4283 posted:

I have taken this idea, used a power adapter for my car, and my kids have been able to play Wii U games during all of our long car trips. It is glorious.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Seabhac posted:

Thanks guys!

Can't get the Wii mote to work (although I thought it was supposed to) but after a bit of fiddling finally got classic controller + GamePad going.

SNES games require a bit of extra rigamarole to play with just a Wiimote- you have to hold the 2 button when starting the game, and you get a warning that there might not be enough buttons. Some games work fine with very few buttons (like Earthbound), but others (like, say, MMX) would be awful.

I guess they wanted to make extra sure that people didn't just start up a game with a controller that might not be able to play it properly.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

e: ^^^ Oh I guess I'm wrong, didn't realise that.

Seabhac posted:

Thanks guys!

Wiimote on its own isn't going to work for a SNES game, there aren't enough buttons. Don't think you can use the Nunchuk with it, you need to use the Classic Controller with it.

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

SNES games require a bit of extra rigamarole to play with just a Wiimote- you have to hold the 2 button when starting the game, and you get a warning that there might not be enough buttons. Some games work fine with very few buttons (like Earthbound), but others (like, say, MMX) would be awful.

I guess they wanted to make extra sure that people didn't just start up a game with a controller that might not be able to play it properly.

Ah that makes sense.

Such a pleasant nostalgia blast with Mario Kart - two player really makes it.

(drat you and your mushrooms Peach, drat you to hell! :argh: )

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Hey, just a note about the direct player in the E shop on the Wii U (and probably the 3DS), as I recall it will play a live broadcast while one is happening, that's how I normally watch it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrWL4EuCp5E

Smash Bros direct stream. There's been rumors of the game being delayed to 2015 (ruh roh), but according to the smash thread Nintendo apparently won't give out a hard day and date release date today.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Has Nintendo always had a twitch channel?

http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Quest For Glory II posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrWL4EuCp5E

Smash Bros direct stream. There's been rumors of the game being delayed to 2015 (ruh roh), but according to the smash thread Nintendo apparently won't give out a hard day and date release date today.

Why would they? Is not like they need to drum up hype for such a successful console or anything.

I have 3 Wiimotes. Anyone know if you can use those to play the Mario Golf they are offering on Club Nintendo with 2 players, or will I need a controller besides that? Does it have pass and play with the gamepad maybe?

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Why would they? Is not like they need to drum up hype for such a successful console or anything.

I have 3 Wiimotes. Anyone know if you can use those to play the Mario Golf they are offering on Club Nintendo with 2 players, or will I need a controller besides that? Does it have pass and play with the gamepad maybe?

Unfortunately Mario Golf is still considered a Wii Virtual Console game (not Wii U) and has to be played through the Wii channel. You'll need to use Wii classic controllers to control players 1 and 2 and the game will only display on the gamepad (not control with it). It's pretty dumb, but that's Nintendo sometimes.

Also, 39 minutes for the Smash Bros direct!? WHAT.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

We definitely know that they aren't giving out a release date today, they tweeted that they weren't after all.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
It's gotta have other stuff on it too. No way they can do a 40 minute segment on the game without even giving a release date at this point. Then again though, Nintendo.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
We'll find out in a minute! I really hope they don't screw this up somehow.

Holy poo poo, this is amazing so far. Sakurai is hilarious.

VladimirLeninpest fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 8, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Misandu posted:

It's gotta have other stuff on it too. No way they can do a 40 minute segment on the game without even giving a release date at this point. Then again though, Nintendo.
Nintendo has done game-only directs often, it will most likely be about Smash Bros only.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Tropical Freeze is amazing. It's really loving amazing. The only downside is, I can't make Cranky Kong do anything but just straight up kill me, and Diddie's pretty useless compared to Dixie, as always. But the level of polish in this game is MMMM.

I just beat the first level of world three and this game is just making my eyes drool.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I haven't played a Smash game in forever but it seems like this next game is going to have literally everything ever.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Recap of stream:

- Release windows: Summer 2014 (3DS), Holiday 2014 (WiiU)
- Character announcements: Zero Suit Samus, Sheik, Yoshi, Greninja, Charizard
- Stage announcements: Reset Bomb Forest (3DS), Tortimer Island (3DS), Balloon Fight (3DS), Jungle Japes (3DS), Windy Hill (WiiU), Palutena's Temple (WiiU), Halberd (WiiU)
- Assist trophy announcements: Psuedo-palatena, Fi, Devil, Andross, Knuckle Joe, Saki Amamiya, Lyn, Nintendog, Dr. Wright, Midna, Dark Samus, Chain Chomp, Elec Man, Color TV-Game 15
- A bunch of pokeball pokemon I don't feel like going back to type up
- Alt costumes confirmed? (there's one for Little Mac, at least)
- Metroidvania/City Trials-inspired multiplayer mode exclusive to 3DS version
- Online with friends or with anyone
- Online with anyone has two game modes: For Fun (random items, all stages, unranked) and For Glory (final destination, no items, ranked)
- Online/local with friends allows you to add custom move sets to characters
- Every stage has a Final Destination form for For Glory mode
- Some stages have 'boss' characters (Yellow Devil in Megaman stage, Ridley in Metroid stage)
- No traditional ranking mode, instead "Global Smash Power" which shows you how many players you are better than

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm going to set myself up for disappointment and hope that the Metroid stage being Wii U only and Zero Suit Samus' redesign means that there could be a Wii U Metroid in the works

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Greninja oh my gooooood. I can't want. Going to be tough picking a Wii U vs 3DS though.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Xavier434 posted:

I have taken this idea, used a power adapter for my car, and my kids have been able to play Wii U games during all of our long car trips. It is glorious.

That's awesome haha.

All this smash talk is killing me especially since we have to wait till Christmas. Guess I saw it coming though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

davey4283 posted:

That's awesome haha.

All this smash talk is killing me especially since we have to wait till Christmas. Guess I saw it coming though.

If you or anyone else is interested, this is the adapter I purchased. It works like a champ. It powers the Wii U, charges the gamepad, and charges two USB devices (usually two smartphones in my case) all simultaneously. It is also on sale right now.

Car Power Adapter

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 9, 2014

• Locked thread