Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

kalstrams posted:

I do not know. So far I have been able to figure out, from this thread, that plenty of people consider 77% of Russian territories to be empty wastelands lacking literally anything.

So you're really taking "Russia is historically centered around Western regions in Europe" to mean what you're saying here? That is both tremendously smug and disingenuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

texaholic posted:

Historically isn't Russia a very euro-centric country? Most of their major happenings have involved european powers and not India or Japan etc.... but maybe I don't know what I am talking about because I am a stupid American from one of the dumbest states.
Yes, however some of their happenings involving European powers is more because of European powers being everywhere than because of their Eurocentrism. The great game played between Russia and British India is technically involving European powers, but is definitely an Asian conflict in all but politics.

The (First? :ohdear:) Crimean War on the other hand also involved the Ottoman Empire as a major player in addition to the European powers.

As mentioned earlier, for reasons both historical and geographical most of Russia's population is in the 'European' half, and much of their official sociopolitical culture revolves around there too.

Related to Eurasiachat, it's not so long ago that some Europeans saw Europe as ending on the border between Austria and Hungary, or on crossing the Danube from Buda to Pest, for reasons relating to:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Russia is European if only because it considers itself European. Though if you ask people before say Peter the great then they would say Europe ended at Poland (then including much of Ukraine)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, I never realized that a Croatian rump state actually managed to resist the Ottomans.

statim
Sep 5, 2003
Think thats Venice

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Torrannor posted:

Wow, I never realized that a Croatian rump state actually managed to resist the Ottomans.

Heh no it was Hungarian then Austrian.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rumda posted:

Heh no it was Hungarian then Austrian.

Now that makes much more sense.

And they also could not take Malta because of the Knights Hospitaller :black101:

And I could imagine that the Iranians were a bit unhappy with the Ottomans as well, those borders are awfully close to Tehran.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Torrannor posted:

And I could imagine that the Iranians were a bit unhappy with the Ottomans as well, those borders are awfully close to Tehran.

Tehran wasn't the capital of Iran until the late 1700s. Although you're sort of right, they weren't. That Ottoman territory was taken back relatively quickly.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kurtofan posted:

I'm European :shrug: I just don't think it's fair to call out Americans on stuff we're not much better at.
While Europeans aren't necessarily that great either (quite a lot of variance), the US does actually still stand out as particularly awful at geography given their wealth, unless it has changed significantly in the last 10 years.

National Geographic Roper Survey 2002 posted:

close to one third (30%) said that the US has 1 to 2 billion people...Respondents in all other countries were better able to identify the U.S. population than are young Americans.

National Geographic Roper Survey 2002 posted:

Young adults outside the U.S. correctly identified their country's population, while many young Americans seemed to have an exaggerated image of America s size.

It's possible to improve though, Italy did much worse in 1988 according to the same report. I have not confirmed whether this was due to them playing Paradox games.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, Dalmatia had a very peculiar history. Venetian from 1490 to 1797 (Napoléon est passé ici), it was Croatian∞Hungarian before.

Long live the Republic of Ragusa!

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Faber posted:

The less Americans know about Ukraine's location, the more they want U.S. to intervene

Well it makes sense. If I thought Ukraine was in Iowa I would definitely think that the US should be more forcefully opposed to it being annexed by Russia.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

What's special about the Urals, and why doesn't North America West of the Rockies count as a separate continent if the answer is just 'they are long and pointy'?

Russia is part of Eurasia. Problem solved.

What's so special about the Sinai Peninsula?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

DrSunshine posted:

Fertility rates / number of children per woman.

I'm surprised Latin America isn't higher, what with the Catholicism and all.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TheImmigrant posted:

I've always understood "Europe" to be the part of Eurasia that has traditionally been Christendom. Spain and the Balkans are the periphery - there was long the saying that Europe ends at the Pyrenees, after all. The Europe-Asia distinction is definitely the most arbitrary continental distinction.

If I remember correctly, it was actually just one guy who said that and he meant it as a compliment. Naturally, people have been using it to bash Spain ever since.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
E: never mind, misread

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Phlegmish posted:

Apparently it is conventionally considered part of Asia for geographical purposes, but obviously is more associated with Egypt.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Phlegmish posted:

The map looks messed up around there, but the Suez Canal is considered the dividing point between Eurasia and Africa.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm surprised Latin America isn't higher, what with the Catholicism and all.

This thread really is obsessed with denomination in such a nonsensical way. France, a Catholic country, had much lower fertility rates rates than Protestant Europe even before secularization (mostly pioneered by them, incidentally) set in. The English and the Dutch in particular bred like rabbits, which was a trend that continued until fairly recently. Belgium actually had more inhabitants than the Netherlands in the 19th century; currently, the Netherlands are 1.6 times bigger.

Farecoal posted:

The map looks messed up around there, but the Suez Canal is considered the dividing point between Eurasia and Africa.

My point was more that the division between Africa and Eurasia is almost just as arbitrary as the one between Europe and Asia. The Suez Canal is man-made.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 9, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Is there a specific defining line separating islands in Asia from islands in Oceania, and is it geological or a result of political geography?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

The English and the Dutch in particular bred like rabbits, which was a trend that continued until fairly recently. Belgium actually had more inhabitants than the Netherlands in the 19th century; currently, the Netherlands are 1.6 times bigger.

To be fair Belgians are apparently considered even less attractive than Vanticaniens. :v:

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is there a specific defining line separating islands in Asia from islands in Oceania, and is it geological or a result of political geography?

The Wallace Line is the most obvious division, but inconveniently splits Indonesia. There's a marked difference in flora and fauna between Bali and Lombok, and no native large mammals east of the line. The islands are quite close, but there's a deep ocean trench separating them.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_line

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 9, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Anosmoman posted:

To be fair Belgians are apparently considered even less attractive than Vanticaniens. :v:

The Pope's robes are a big turn on.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Anosmoman posted:

"On a scale from 0 to 518, how attractive..." :sweden:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Anosmoman posted:

Swedish women are totally overrated, but that's probably a story for a different thread.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Phlegmish posted:

Swedish women are totally overrated, but that's probably a story for a different thread.

[ASK] Me about how attractive Swedish women are.

:goonsay:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Wanna see the crosstabs on the demographics of the people answering that question

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

DrSunshine posted:

Man, they couldn't have picked worse colors for that map. Egads.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Them some Matlab colors right there.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Belgium is such an odd country. I've worked in Brussels a lot, and have always gotten a kick out of local politics.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Basil Hayden posted:

Apparently it is conventionally considered part of Asia for geographical purposes, but obviously is more associated with Egypt.

What I'm hearing is "Egypt has territory in Eurasia and therefore should be admitted into the EU".

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

[ASK] Me about how attractive Swedish women are.

:goonsay:

True story my cousin married a Swede and she was a brunette.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phlegmish posted:

My point was more that the division between Africa and Eurasia is almost just as arbitrary as the one between Europe and Asia. The Suez Canal is man-made.
The Isthmus of Suez and Panama are both about the narrowest connecting points between two large landmasses, so there's at least some logic there. The fact that they're both navigable now just provides a clearer line.

If an arbitrary line has to be picked in the area, the Pechora River, followed by the Kama and then the Volga seems to make more sense. Or if man-made structures are easier to work with, we could always draw a line from Ob Bay and start digging.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

These are always a blast.

And the best one.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Anosmoman posted:

Internet Swedes are among the smuggest and most chauvinist people ever. To some extent, Internet Scandinavians can be all a little smug, but Swedes are generally the worst.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

the jizz taxi posted:

Internet Swedes are among the smuggest and most chauvinist people ever. To some extent, Internet Scandinavians can be all a little smug, but Swedes are generally the worst.

The same is true in real life.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Thump! posted:

Man, they couldn't have picked worse colors for that map. Egads.

As a colorblind person I appreciate being able to actually distinguish all the categories on a map, ugly as they may be.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DrSunshine posted:

Am I colorblind as well or are there no countries with the highest or lowest numbers of children per woman?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Disco Infiva posted:

"World according to..."
I enjoy this one:

"Union of Stingy Workaholics" indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Am I colorblind as well or are there no countries with the highest or lowest numbers of children per woman?

That scale was good for 2009/2010, when countries such as Niger, Guinea-Bissau and Afghanistan would actually qualify for fertility rate of > 7. However, the map is for 2014, and so far the highest estimated fertility rate is 6.89 for Niger, so there aren't any countries to actually be coloured for the maximum. Speaking of minimum, Macau qualifies while is not coloured. Singapore also qualifies and is appropriately coloured. See here for more stuff on fertility.

Also, let us enjoy bigger map so you can actually distinguish Singapore.

https://googledrive.com/host/0B2DJOy6Ju88UcDlJOUlCVy1lRTA/Countriesbyfertilityrate.jpeg

Edit: Link, by popular demand.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 9, 2014