Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Well I went and screwed up. I tried to install PartsCatalog and DamnedRobotics, but somewhere in the process I screwed up and now no parts load, at all. Nothing is visible in the VAB, I had popups saying my debris couldn't be loaded, I'm just screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Fishstick posted:

Custom biomes should almost be a must-install, it adds actual reasons to go beyond Mun/Minmus by adding biomes to all the other planets, seemingly compatibly with SCANSAT
Is there some way to turn off the menu? It's pretty annoying that this big ugly thing jumps right at the middle of the screen every flight.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

thread says that the toolbar plugin is included in the download so I guess there's a button to turn the display on/off there. you'll have to add the button to the toolbar first. toolbar plugin is pretty awesome.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Obama 2012 posted:

I've got over 100 hours logged in KSP (or so Steam tells me), and I only just realized that if you take a scientific reading with something like a materials bay, but you only intend recover your command module from the flight, you have to have a kerbal physically go and remove the data from the unit to store it. My minimalist approach to hardware recovery has been costing me science this whole time, especially with the landing craft I routinely ditch at faraway planets before flying home.

This is where FScience rocks.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Any word on whether Protractor is 23.5 compatible?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Obama 2012 posted:

I've got over 100 hours logged in KSP (or so Steam tells me), and I only just realized that if you take a scientific reading with something like a materials bay, but you only intend recover your command module from the flight, you have to have a kerbal physically go and remove the data from the unit to store it. My minimalist approach to hardware recovery has been costing me science this whole time, especially with the landing craft I routinely ditch at faraway planets before flying home.

The good news? Its still there!

If you're just leaving them on the surface, you can go back and still pull the science out. Of course, if you're letting them smack into stuff from orbit that's not an option, but there you go.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

A new feature of 0.23.5, Quicksave-AS
Use ALT+F5 to trigger this save mode, it allows you to name the quicksave.
Use ALT+F9 to load a quicksave by name.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Zaran posted:

:aaaaa:

This changes EVERYTHING

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Robzilla posted:

This is where FScience rocks.
I used that for a while, and yeah, it's great. It does have one major bug, though: Using it to remove experiments from one-time modules gives the "module unusable" message, but doesn't actually make it unusable, enabling infinite use like in previous versions of KSP.

I've found that Ship Manifest is better for it. It does the same thing, minus the bug, plus allowing you to do things like move Kerbals around in your ship without having to take them on EVA.

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
Does KSP let you quit with alt+f4? I see some hilarity in the future.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
...Yes, yes it does.

Has anyone tried Better Than Starting Manned? I like the idea but I just can't figure out how to get started. It gives you a probe core, SRB and a thermometer and I guess you're supposed to do some temperature measurements but, probably due to me using FAR (BTSM does rightfully warn about using it with other mods) the SRB gets going so high and fast that everything explodes. It's not controllable or thrust-limitable either.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Zaran posted:

:haw: Aw yiss.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Getting procedural fairings has made my rockets look much nicer.

Also, FAR has completely borked all my rocket designs, but in a good way.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Elukka posted:

...Yes, yes it does.

Has anyone tried Better Than Starting Manned? I like the idea but I just can't figure out how to get started. It gives you a probe core, SRB and a thermometer and I guess you're supposed to do some temperature measurements but, probably due to me using FAR (BTSM does rightfully warn about using it with other mods) the SRB gets going so high and fast that everything explodes. It's not controllable or thrust-limitable either.

You can right click the SRB in the hangar and give it less thrust.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

WraithMind posted:

Does KSP let you quit with alt+f4? I see some hilarity in the future.

Yeah, I'm guilty of using this as it's quicker than waiting for all the menu scenes to load as you leave through them.

Alt-F5 to Save
Alt-F4 to Quit

Better not have fat fingers!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

dex_sda posted:

You can right click the SRB in the hangar and give it less thrust.
I can't, but it's probably a part added by the mod that lacks the feature.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
So I made my first effective hypersonic plane (but not space plane) that managed to get up to mach 5 in-atmosphere and managed to gain some pretty decent altitude:

At about 45km up. Starting to come back down now.

Fairing pretty well, turning around to head back to KSC

About 250km away, the other coastline.

Final approach. This is where it all went wrong.

Turns out using FAR and mechjeb's spaceplane autolanding system doesn't work. Green is the path that mechjeb wanted to take. Red is the path that was taken ontointo the runway.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elukka posted:

...Yes, yes it does.

Better Than. Oh gently caress, it can't be.
It is. It's Flowerchild.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
What am I missing? Is it some hilarious modder drama please tell me it is and explain it because I wanna hear.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Elukka posted:

What am I missing? Is it some hilarious modder drama please tell me it is and explain it because I wanna hear.

I only know second-hand from the previous Kerbal thread, but apparently Flowerchild is a Minecraft modder infamous for drama and purposely making their own mods incompatible with other peoples' mods.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Elukka posted:

This came up in the last thread when this mod came out. Flowerchild is an infamous minecraft modder. Everything you've heard about the minecraft modding community in one spergy 14 year old

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

With my newfound move science about the ship knowledge I made a quick jaunt to high kerbin and got some science to unlock fuel lines. I never realised how this critical component is the key to getting about the solar system. While im still stuck in Kerbin SOI for now I can now make far more efficient rockets. Asparagus staging and drop tanks, I missed you.

Acquire Currency! posted:

Better Than. Oh gently caress, it can't be.
It is. It's Flowerchild.

:confused:

Elukka posted:

A mod that adds SRBs? Upper stage SRBs? For asteroid pushing drone ships?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Tarezax posted:

I only know second-hand from the previous Kerbal thread, but apparently Flowerchild is a Minecraft modder infamous for drama and purposely making their own mods incompatible with other peoples' mods.

Wasn't he the guy that made Minecraft crash if it detected another mod that corrected his mod's bullshit and also made his mod cause permanent changes to the game?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Geemer posted:

Wasn't he the guy that made Minecraft crash if it detected another mod that corrected his mod's bullshit and also made his mod cause permanent changes to the game?

Yep! Don't worry though Squad's community managers are aware and reasonably capable of shutting down mod drama

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elukka posted:

Years ago FC made a mod for Minecraft called Better Than Wolves. The wolves beta update came around and this dude thought the direction the game was going in was unacceptable, so he made Better Than Wolves. It was kinda chill (despite his obviously assholish name choice) until poo poo hit maximum over sperg and got real. There's so much poo poo on this we had a thread about it. The basics are that FlowerChild always prefaces his mod by saying something like "many of us are disappointed with the way the game is going.." and is a massive rear end in a top hat. What I find funny about his name choice here is it's Better Than Manned Capsules, what the gently caress?

This post would be way too massive if I listed everything he did. It's goddamn hilarious and unbelievable. I'm just saying the kinda poo poo he attracts might damage the cool and chill community we have now.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 9, 2014

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Geemer posted:

Pretty sure it also had a blacklist of users that it deleted that save game if it detected it was running in their machine. That's probably with good reason and not at all some horrible petty nonsense.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Acquire Currency! posted:

It was kinda chill

If you ignore the BDSM aspects, yes.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Better Than Starting Manned
All Rights Reserved

All rights reserved? Is that even allowed? The donation link is cute too. :allears:

SocketSeven fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 9, 2014

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Many of us were disappointed by how much of a sperging idiot Flowerchild is.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Umbra Dubium posted:

If you ignore the BDSM aspects, yes.

At first it had cool gears and elevators and poo poo. It was an innocent time.

SocketSeven posted:

Better Than Starting Manned
All Rights Reserved

All rights reserved? Is that even allowed? The donation link is cute too. :allears:

Lmfao.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Elukka posted:

Seriously, don't use Flowerchild's mods. Dude is absolutely horrid and the sooner he leaves KSP the better. You know how the KSP forum requires that mods post their source so as to have a record that there's nothing malicious in them? Rather than risk his code being forked on Git he has it hosted on his own webspace. He absolutely abhors the concept of open source and has repeatedly railed against people simply using his mods without his permission.

As well he actively fights against compatibility with other mods and generally is a horrible and bitter person. In Minecraft, his mod (Better Than Wolves) was started because he claims Mojang was stupid to add wolves to the mod instead of ~his vision~ and so it heavily features the abuse and torture of wolves as well as gimp-suit 'breeding harnesses' and a whole host of other nastiness.

Did I mention that he's paranoid over his code? Because he is. Here's the notice from his minecraft mod page:

FlowerChild posted:

[*** COPYRIGHT NOTICE ***]

This document and the files contained in this package are Copyright ©(2011, 2012, 2013, 2014) and are the intellectual property of the author. All rights reserved. It may not be reproduced under any circumstances except for personal, private use as long as it remains in its unaltered, unedited form. It may not be placed on any web site or otherwise distributed publicly without advance written permission. Decompilitation and reverse engineering is strictly prohibited without advanced written permission. Use of this mod on any other website is strictly prohibited, and a violation of copyright.

Note: I DO NOT grant redistribution rights to this mod to anyone that asks, whether that be for a mod-pack or whatever. Don't bother asking, as it won't happen.

I am 100% dead serious when I say that if Squad requires a mod's source to be hosted on Github (which requires that repos be fork-able) then FlowerChild will immediately quit.

e: a lot of posts happened while I was writing this so I'll throw in my flowerchild story

Back when BTW was relatively new and minecraft modpacks just starting, Technic included Better Than Wolves. I played with it for a while but eventually removed it from my version of Technic for some reason or other. After I removed it, my game would crash every time it rained but never immediately and I couldn't figure out why. The mystery was solved when someone pointed out that BTW hosed with the vanilla .class files for fire, and so lightning strikes were calling for code that had been removed.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I had never heard of this stuff before, but...wow, what a gigantic douchebag. I never bothered installing Better than Wolves just because of the lovely passive-aggressive name, but now I'll make sure not to touch anything from him.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
:stare:

What did I step in.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the over under of him adding gimp suit textures to manned modules.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Elukka posted:

:words: about FAR and BtSM incompatibility.

To answer this by the way, (since I don't think it was answered.) FlowerChild has stated that BtSM is designed to be played without any other mods, and will not support users that have other mods installed. If you want to use it, uninstal FAR. Ironically, he tells you to first install Deadly Re-entry before his mod. :psyduck:

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

SocketSeven posted:

To answer this by the way, (since I don't think it was answered.) FlowerChild has stated that BtSM is designed to be played without any other mods, and will not support users that have other mods installed. If you want to use it, uninstal FAR. Ironically, he tells you to first install Deadly Re-entry before his mod. :psyduck:

DR without FAR is a special sort of insanity just on it's own.

I thought addons already had to be de-facto open sourced. Like not necessarily an OSI license, but the source has to physically be available, because we are running compiled code on our machines here and it would be nice if you didn't have to weigh installing a ksp mod against the risk of becoming someone's btc mining rig or becoming part of an exciting new botnet.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Mr. Wynand posted:

Like not necessarily an OSI license, but the source has to physically be available, because we are running compiled code on our machines here and it would be nice if you didn't have to weigh installing a ksp mod against the risk of becoming someone's btc mining rig or becoming part of an exciting new botnet.

Just because you have the source doesn't necessarily mean you can do anything with it. By way of a for instance, you are not allowed to mod FAR compatibility into BtSM because doing so would be editing proprietary code that was only released to you for review purposes. If you went ahead and did so anyway God help you if you released that patch on the KSP forums because FlowerChild would go after you with the fury of a libertarian forced to pay child support.

He is a repugnant shell of a man who should be kept far away from open and inclusive communities.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

So what you're saying is we need to put his code on github and watch him freak out?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bentai posted:

So what you're saying is we need to put his code on github and watch him freak out?

We wouldn't be the first. Goons did something like this a while ago with BtW and he lost his poo poo.

E: \/\/ We had a pretty similar conversation in the last thread. I think Max has been aware for a while now.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Good thing Maxmaps floats about here and we can give the team advanced warning.

• Locked thread