Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DamnGlitch posted:

I like boobs, not highschool age characters, and girls in bands.

Sonico is not interesting at all. It's about as mild as you can get. I am honestly astonished anyone brought it up here, much less in a positive context.

I somehow doubt that poster was being serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

It's an anime thread. If we can't take people at their word here we've got nothing. NOTHING.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Trust your ADTRW nakama.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Super Sonico was a great show. Episode 7 was the best single episode of anime in the winter season.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
As far as high school dude and a cooky fun cast goes with a crazy supernatural element stuff goes, I am loving Strike the Blood, Mushibugyo, the new irregular at magic high show, brunhyldr, ambition of oda nobuna, killakill, nobunagun any other stuff like this?

Any other newer shows like this that aren't called magical warfare hahhah?

Just start watching Reborn, and its almost like a weird alternate reality yu yu hakusho with this weird baby yelling reborn and popping out of any random nook or cranny. Enjoying it for some reason.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Rkelly posted:

As far as high school dude and a cooky fun cast goes with a crazy supernatural element stuff goes, I am loving Strike the Blood, Mushibugyo, the new irregular at magic high show, brunhyldr, ambition of oda nobuna, killakill, nobunagun any other stuff like this?

Just start watching Reborn, and its almost like a weird alternate reality yu yu hakusho with this weird baby yelling reborn and popping out of any random nook or cranny. Enjoying it for some reason.

Reborn falls off really hard really fast, at least in my experience. The premise is neat, but then it doesn't really do anything besides cliche shonen bullshit with it. Not sure of any newer stuff like that though, beyond the ones you listed.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rkelly posted:

A Certain Scientific Railgun is a pretty good example of that sort of thing. And I guess Magical Index, the thing Railgun was spun off from. It isn't nearly as good, but its basically what Strike the Blood is a rip off of, and you apparently liked that.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I have been meaning to check out index and railgun for a while now. Any older shonen stuff or magic/fantasy stuff or under appreciated series? Looking for something long preferably. I am stalled on naruto/one piece/bleach.

edit. Black Bullet is super sick. Just watched the pilot.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

SpaceViking posted:

Reborn falls off really hard really fast, at least in my experience. The premise is neat, but then it doesn't really do anything besides cliche shonen bullshit with it.

Eh, Reborn's pretty cool for the first two major plot arcs. Then it gets bad for a long, long, long while. It goes from all the sort of neatish things it had established at that point to Literally Pokemon for the longest arc of the entire thing that also happens to take up about the entire last 2/3rds of the anime. It sorta picks up again after you get past that but not really enough to warrant slogging through if you're not enjoying it at that point.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Rkelly posted:

I have been meaning to check out index and railgun for a while now. Any older shonen stuff or magic/fantasy stuff or under appreciated series? Looking for something long preferably. I am stalled on naruto/one piece/bleach.

edit. Black Bullet is super sick. Just watched the pilot.

Have you tried Hunter X Hunter or Soul Eater yet?

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I have watched every episode of HXH twice. It was what got me going on a shounen kick again this past winter. Soul Eater? Never heard of it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Rkelly posted:

I have watched every episode of HXH twice. It was what got me going on a shounen kick again this past winter. Soul Eater? Never heard of it.

It was pretty good for the few arcs I followed. Visually great as well.

Also, got a request of my own. Looking for shows that are basically... a deconstruction I guess is the word I'm looking for? Something that takes a popular concept or genre and turns it on its head.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Rkelly posted:

Look it up! It might just be the kind of shonen you're looking for, friend.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Brainamp posted:

It was pretty good for the few arcs I followed. Visually great as well.

Also, got a request of my own. Looking for shows that are basically... a deconstruction I guess is the word I'm looking for? Something that takes a popular concept or genre and turns it on its head.

Evangelion, Gunbuster come immediately to mind. Specifically the real and super robot genres, respectively. They are both old at this point so a lot of their stuff has been co-opted into the new normal, however. They are both gorgeous (gunbuster in particularly is really beautiful).

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Brainamp posted:

Evangelion(mecha)
Madoka Magica(magical girls)
Revolutionary Girl Utena(magical girls, fairy tales, shoujo, pretty much every dumb 90s anime trope)
Digimon Tamers(pet monsters)
Shadowstar Narutaru(pet monsters)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Soul Eater was always at least pretty fun. Most of the time it was really good for its type of thing.

Brainamp posted:

Puella Magi Madoka Magica was some seriously good magical girl anime bullshit. It got DARK, too. Brutally so. I haven't seen Princess Tutu yet, but I've been getting some recommendations for it, as well.

Higurashi or School Days both play with the harem/school anime tropes.

Bokurano is a good mech one. I really liked it as a show. It's kinda hosed up. Although, looking at it from memory, I'm not entirely sure what it deconstructs. I think I'd label it a dark version of the mecha genre. But a good one.

Tiger and Bunny kind of played out the superhero genre if it were held in a more 'realistic' (in terms of business and funding) world. I haven't seen Samurai Flamenco beyond the first episode (which i liked), but it seems to go down a completely different route of playing with 'real' superheroes.

edit: I've also only seen the first episode of Bakemonogatari, but I liked it, and from what I've read around, it plays with and subverts the harem stuff as well. I couldn't tell if it deconstructs anything, but it felt self aware at least.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 9, 2014

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Drifter posted:

I've also only seen the first episode of Bakemonogatari, but I liked it, and from what I've read around, it plays with and subverts the harem stuff as well. I couldn't tell if it deconstructs anything, but it felt self aware at least.

I don't think Bakemonogatari is strictly speaking a deconstruction(though arguments could be made for certain parts of Second Season), so much as it is just a clever take on harems and fanservice anime.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

DamnGlitch posted:

Evangelion, Gunbuster come immediately to mind. Specifically the real and super robot genres, respectively. They are both old at this point so a lot of their stuff has been co-opted into the new normal, however. They are both gorgeous (gunbuster in particularly is really beautiful).

I'll give gunbuster a shot, since I've heard good things about it before. And seen the old evangelion, is the new series good?

Redcrimson posted:

Madoka Magica(magical girls)
Revolutionary Girl Utena(magical girls, fairy tales, shoujo, pretty much every dumb 90s anime trope)
Digimon Tamers(pet monsters)
Shadowstar Narutaru(pet monsters)

Seen it.
Only ever saw clips like a half-naked man fondling himself while riding on a car, so I assumed it was poo poo.
Seen it, but when I was in like middle school. Probably time for a rewatch.
Seen it.

Drifter posted:

Higurashi
Bokurano
Tiger and Bunny
Bakemonogatari

Loved Tiger and Bunny. As well as Bakemonogatari, though I wouldn't really call that deconstructing anything as opposed to just being really loving weird and cool. Higurashi I kinda stopped halfway through. School Days I know about, and that's too hosed up for me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Brainamp posted:

I'll give gunbuster a shot, since I've heard good things about it before. And seen the old evangelion, is the new series good?

It's excellent. It's subtly different at first and then from the second movie on it's not so subtle.

Brainamp posted:

Only ever saw clips like a half-naked man fondling himself while riding on a car, so I assumed it was poo poo.

You need to get your priorities in order, buster.

(Utena is the best anime ever made, in small but significant part because of half-naked men fondling themselves on cars.)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You know...I hate to be that guy, but Log Horizon felt like a fantasymmorpg anime that de/re-constructed the community aspects of that genre. I really, really enjoyed that show. I'm stoked for season 2 - I hope it maintains.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also all of you please stop using "deconstruction" like you know what it means, thanks.

Even the guy who invented it doesn't know what it means.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Brainamp posted:

The car is a metaphor. The man is a metaphor. The cargasms are a metaphor. The lack of shirts isn't a metaphor, that's just what happens when you hear the sound that roars through the end of the world.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also all of you please stop using "deconstruction" like you know what it means, thanks.

I like to think we're deconstructing the meaning of the word, and then subverting the reconstruction of it through its usage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's excellent. It's subtly different at first and then from the second movie on it's not so subtle.

Just to clarify; The first movie is basically the first five episodes of the original series re-shot into a movie with a few changes (One being that Ramiel is much more amazing to watch than a floating diamond), but from the second movie it goes right off the rails with its own thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Oh, so watching the 2nd movie is worth it in it's own right, even if I've seen the series?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rinkles posted:

Oh, so watching the 2nd movie is worth it in it's own right, even if I've seen the series?
Especially if you've seen the series. The end of Rebuild 2 is really something special.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I thought that was regarding Gunbuster.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I thought that was regarding Gunbuster.

Nah, sorry, I should have quoted more selectively. I didn't even know Gunbuster had movies, just the six OVAs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nah, sorry, I should have quoted more selectively. I didn't even know Gunbuster had movies, just the six OVAs.

Actually I think there's only one and it's just an edited cut of the OVA. (Which was my impression until I misread your post).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Brainamp posted:

Last season's Samurai Flamenco is a good fit. There's some really bizarre twists that might put you off (like it did half the thread), but the payoff is more than worth it, mostly in how ridiculous it is.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

We might as well have an official ADTRW of the word, given how many people will use it in that context anyway. "Subversion" would probably be a better word. In general practice, "deconstruction" is supposed to refer to the topic of a piece of work in which its individual elements are separately analyzed, thus "deconstructed".

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
After seeing reviews for the Ranma 1/2 blu ray, I started remembering how much I enjoyed that show when I was younger. It was the first anime/manga thing I got into (thanks to that horrible SNES fighting game) and I never actually got that far into it. I just read how the manga wrapped up, and wondered how the anime series ended things? I remember seeing a few of the OVA's and one or two movies, but I never got very far in the show (maybe 40 episodes?)

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Kingtheninja posted:

After seeing reviews for the Ranma 1/2 blu ray, I started remembering how much I enjoyed that show when I was younger. It was the first anime/manga thing I got into (thanks to that horrible SNES fighting game) and I never actually got that far into it. I just read how the manga wrapped up, and wondered how the anime series ended things? I remember seeing a few of the OVA's and one or two movies, but I never got very far in the show (maybe 40 episodes?)

It ends after the first arc with Ranma's mother, IIRC. Which is a shame since the manga starts picking up in quality again after that (it hit kind of a slump for several volumes before that point).

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

I like boobs, not highschool age characters, and girls in bands.

Sonico is not interesting at all. It's about as mild as you can get. I am honestly astonished anyone brought it up here, much less in a positive context.

If you can't catch on the nuanced satire in Super Sonico then you may need to watch more Evangelion.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

DrPaper posted:

If you can't catch on the nuanced satire in Super Sonico then you may need to watch more Evangelion.

:confused: If sonico is profound evangelion is about as complex as hop on pop, comparitively.

jonjonaug posted:

It ends after the first arc with Ranma's mother, IIRC. Which is a shame since the manga starts picking up in quality again after that (it hit kind of a slump for several volumes before that point).

Wasn't the series end as 'non-end' as you can get? don't they just go to school, anime over? I mean, I know there are a bunch of movies / ovas after that.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

DamnGlitch posted:

Wasn't the series end as 'non-end' as you can get? don't they just go to school, anime over? I mean, I know there are a bunch of movies / ovas after that.

Ranma and Akane's relationship advances quite a bit (like, she's pretty much "locked in" at the end), but you could still call it a "non-end" since Ranma's still cursed and unmarried. I rather liked where it ended, but I can see why a lot of people were disappointed.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

jonjonaug posted:

Ranma and Akane's relationship advances quite a bit (like, she's pretty much "locked in" at the end), but you could still call it a "non-end" since Ranma's still cursed and unmarried. I rather liked where it ended, but I can see why a lot of people were disappointed.

Well I mean it was pretty clear that Akane was "main girl in a harem anime" but I was under the impression that was pretty clear early on, honestly.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just saw the first episode of Code Geass: Lelouch whatever and thought it was pretty darn cool. Apparently he has the Phoenix Force or something, but whatever, I liked it.

Lukavi
Aug 23, 2006
Place your bets now
It's been a long time since my fiance and I have sat down to watch a anime/cartoon together and I've been out of the scene myself for awhile. I'd like a recommendation for something for us to watch on the couch every now and then.

+
Comedy, action, drama or mix
Complete
Definitive ending

-
Explicit sex
Long (+30eps)
Ongoing

Her:
Disney/Pixar
MLP (ugh, non-creapy way but.. ugh, I have to leave the area when on)

Me:
Basara
Gurren Lagann
Hellsing
Baccano

Us:
Cowboy bebop
Girls Bravo (retarded but we both thought it was funny)
Tiger and Bunny (Both of use loved this one 100%)

I showed her some parts of Everyday Life of High School Boys that I thought were funny as hell and she didn't care much for them. Recently she saw the description for Attack on Titan and I think she might like it but it isn't finished and it bugs me to no end. I'm thinking maybe Sword Art Online but its a bit long and she may not hang on the whole way, the 2nd season was a letdown too. Death Note was another I was thinking of but I quit ~half way through I think due to slow pace.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Lukavi posted:

It's been a long time since my fiance and I have sat down to watch a anime/cartoon together and I've been out of the scene myself for awhile. I'd like a recommendation for something for us to watch on the couch every now and then.

+
Comedy, action, drama or mix
Complete
Definitive ending

-
Explicit sex
Long (+30eps)
Ongoing

Her:
Disney/Pixar
MLP (ugh, non-creapy way but.. ugh, I have to leave the area when on)

Me:
Basara
Gurren Lagann
Hellsing
Baccano

Us:
Cowboy bebop
Girls Bravo (retarded but we both thought it was funny)
Tiger and Bunny (Both of use loved this one 100%)

I showed her some parts of Everyday Life of High School Boys that I thought were funny as hell and she didn't care much for them. Recently she saw the description for Attack on Titan and I think she might like it but it isn't finished and it bugs me to no end. I'm thinking maybe Sword Art Online but its a bit long and she may not hang on the whole way, the 2nd season was a letdown too. Death Note was another I was thinking of but I quit ~half way through I think due to slow pace.

Since you both liked Bebop, you could give Samurai Champloo a try if you haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It's long, but maybe Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

• Locked thread