Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sire Oblivion posted:

I don't know if you're being sarcastic?

I don't joke about Comic Con hacks friend :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

If you don't get parking IN the convention center there's ONE COOL TRICK to getting cheap parking that They Don't Want You To Know About

Take the train from LA? :getin:

Biggest news today is that Conan will be hosting his show at SDCC next year, which also confirms the dates. Dunno when they start cutting off advanced booking through Priceline and all that, but I think I'll have to try it to see what kind of rates you get outside Travel Planners and avoid this mess.

Got my confirmation (not the actual reservation) around 2 PDT, so it seems like things are moving smoothly on their end this year, at least.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Axel Serenity posted:

Take the train from LA? :getin:

Biggest news today is that Conan will be hosting his show at SDCC next year, which also confirms the dates. Dunno when they start cutting off advanced booking through Priceline and all that, but I think I'll have to try it to see what kind of rates you get outside Travel Planners and avoid this mess.

Got my confirmation around 2 PDT, so it seems like things are moving smoothly on their end this year, at least.

Coming from LA what is this "train" you speak of?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

Amtrak, dude! It's the way to go and avoid the shithole that is the 5 on SDCC Sunday. Last year, we rode with Seth Green and a few other peeps who also know what's up.

Burbank Stations are usually really light if you leave on the Wednesday. Tickets were about $35 each way, I think last time I took it?

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 8, 2014

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Axel Serenity posted:

Amtrak, dude! It's the way to go and avoid the shithole that is the 5 on SDCC Sunday. Last year, we rode with Seth Green and a few other peeps who also know what's up.

Burbank Stations are usually really light if you leave on the Wednesday. Tickets were about $35 each way, I think last time I took it?

Heh, I saw Seth Green in the food car on the way down to San Diego back in 2012

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I met half the cast of Community on the train back to LA a few years ago, that was fun. (especially because I hadn't been able to get into the panel)

If you're going to take the Amtrak to SDCC, I'd recommend getting Business Class seats on the way back, the lines at Santa Fe Depot for regular seats are usually pretty long on Sunday, and the line for Business Class is a lot shorter.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

I met half the cast of Community on the train back to LA a few years ago, that was fun. (especially because I hadn't been able to get into the panel)

If you're going to take the Amtrak to SDCC, I'd recommend getting Business Class seats on the way back, the lines at Santa Fe Depot for regular seats are usually pretty long on Sunday, and the line for Business Class is a lot shorter.

Did you actually do the "mind if I sit" thing or

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
I'm out of town on business, and my brother and mother both thought the date for hotels was tomorrow. :( I'm going to end up 15 miles away from the convention center.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Neraren posted:

I'm out of town on business, and my brother and mother both thought the date for hotels was tomorrow. :( I'm going to end up 15 miles away from the convention center.

If you have a car just park using my One Cool Trick They

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

Honestly, you'll probably meet people that on the platform waiting before the train ever comes. Just chat 'em up and 90% of the celebrities are cool with it or they wouldn't be taking the train. Hell, chat anyone up who's waiting and you'll tend to find some cool people willing to share seats out of sake of necessity. You meet some pretty interesting characters, and maybe some acquaintances you'll get to know throughout the convention.

Neraren posted:

That really sucks, but the good news is they usually have a second wave of hotels go up later on after the main cancellation dates pass. Or, they have in some past years. They're usually not downtown hotels, but stuff in Mission Valley/Harbor Island tends to be fairly easy to book right up to the con and are on the Shuttle Route.

Last time, I stayed at the Sheraton Marina on Harbor Island, and while the bus ride is about 30 minutes and not really good for mid-day trips back, the hotel itself was very nice. I'd recommend it if you have no other options.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Alan Smithee posted:

Nah, I was in the same train car as Yvette Nicole Brown, I posted on twitter that I had seen her on the train, and she replied to my tweet saying that I should come by and say hi to her before the train got to LA, so I did. That's all there really was to it.

As far as hotels, I don't even bother trying for Downtown, I just book in Mission Valley where it's cheaper and then I just don't go back and forth between the hotel and CC (bag check is your friend here)

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Instant Sunrise posted:

(bag check is your friend here)

The biggest understatement of the Convention. I know it's in the OP, but really, really need to reemphasize that bag-check is only, like, $2 and you can go back and forth as much as you want.

I usually stick my camera bag there and fill it with snacks throughout the day (Uncrustables, granola bars, some fruit and sandwiches maybe). Having lunch/snacks on-site without having to lug around a 10-pound bag all day is absolutely vital.

Not sure if there are too many photographers here, but if you are, I'd highly recommend the Tamrac Adventure Series bags. Bottom half is camera stuff, but the top half is a regular backpack to stuff poo poo in and the laptop portion in the back is great for the books and programs you get throughout the day. It's, like, a bag made for SDCC.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I dont understand why they dont just do it like Hydra planned in Captain America 2. You look at someone's credit cards and financial history and just let the people in, in order of how much they will spend at Comic Con.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

Alan Smithee posted:

If you don't get parking IN the convention center there's ONE COOL TRICK to getting cheap parking that They Don't Want You To Know About

Can you also tell me how to lose 10 lbs in 2 weeks and make 20 grand a month without leaving my house?

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Alan Smithee posted:

I wish I could take the train but it is a 37 hour trip from Seattle. Where the gently caress is our bullet train :argh:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Hotel emails are starting to go out

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I was too late on my hotel filling out and got nothing.

Last year, though, downtown/Coronado stuff popped up from time to time if you checked constantly, so I'm not too worried.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is it safe to assume that if we don't have anything by now we're hosed?

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

Sire Oblivion posted:

Is it safe to assume that if we don't have anything by now we're hosed?

Doubtful. The emails are probably just going out randomly, and not according to where you've been placed/haven't been placed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Then I guess I'll just give it until the evening to have my dreams (and trip) ruined.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It's more likely that those that entered too late get theirs first.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Reddit thread is surmising that emails are being sent out in alphabetical order (i.e. the first letter of the hotel that you were assigned)

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Reddit thread is surmising that emails are being sent out in alphabetical order (i.e. the first letter of the hotel that you were assigned)

Twitter seems to think the denials went out first.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Dr Tran posted:

I would agree with that. My wife got her denial almost immediately and I haven't received anything.

Fingers crossed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr Tran posted:

My girlfriend got her denial but one of my friends was assigned to a hotel (that he didn't choose) that's 4 miles away without shuttle service. :smith:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
SDCC Hotel Day: a cacophony of sadness and "you don't really miss out by not going".

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.
I just got my comfirmation for my first choice: Embassy Suites. My submission clocked in at 1 min 50 seconds. My fiance finished 5-10 seconds later and got Embassy Suites too as a first choice. I didn't even bother selecting any hotels within 3 blocks. I'm curious how quickly those filled up.

They are definitely going in alphabetical order.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD
Scored our first choice of Hilton Bayside :neckbeard:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Soarer posted:

Scored our first choice of Hilton Bayside :neckbeard:

Same here. Con luck!

edit: Well, almost. My first choice was the Omni, but I'm not gonna complain at all.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 10, 2014

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Still waiting for mine. Waiting for the S and O groups to go out. :ohdear:

Also, some people are reporting the room rates in their confirmation being different than the quoted rates on the CCI form so be sure to give that a look. Probably a ppl/bed thing, but no firm details yet.

e: Yessss got the Marriott Gaslamp as our first choice!

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 10, 2014

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Axel Serenity posted:

Still waiting for mine. Waiting for the S and O groups to go out. :ohdear:

Also, some people are reporting the room rates in their confirmation being different than the quoted rates on the CCI form so be sure to give that a look. Probably a ppl/bed thing, but no firm details yet.

The second you add more than 2 people, your rate is no longer what's quoted.

Also, what's up Marriott Gaslamp buddy!!!!

It was my third choice but still good enough for me.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 10, 2014

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

RevKrule posted:

Also, what's up Marriott Gaslamp buddy!!!!

:hfive:

Hell yeah, man! Do goons here ever set up a quick barhop night or anything? It'd be cool to hang around with people that know how to handle the nightlife during SDCC. It'll be my first year actually downtown and my girlfriend's first con ever, so we wanna do it right. :)

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Got first choice, Marriott Marquis, email arrived 12:27pm pst.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Submitted within 1.5 minutes, got first choice Marriot Marquis for the 3rd time in a row.

Some of you might remember my photo of the hilarious Ballroom 20 line from a previous year, I'm happy to keep tabs on it if they give me a room facing the building again.

For reference I did hit the stupid checkbox for "give me the room regardless of rate" and it didn't change a thing.

edit: Also the One Wierd Trick for parking is indeed to take the Amtrak from LA if you can. The SD metro even has a stop in the same station. You can take the LA metro to Union station as well and pick up the Amtrak, and the Anaheim Angels stadium lot does free parking if you have a car.

Zeitgueist fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 10, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I guess this is the time to see who has room for more?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Axel Serenity posted:

:hfive:

Hell yeah, man! Do goons here ever set up a quick barhop night or anything? It'd be cool to hang around with people that know how to handle the nightlife during SDCC. It'll be my first year actually downtown and my girlfriend's first con ever, so we wanna do it right. :)

I would totally be down for this. Most of my nights ended with me at the Hilton Bayfront bar anyways (which is super swank).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Welp, got the Hotel Del Cornado 5 miles away. This wouldn't be that bad because at least I got something, but they honestly expect me to pay $319 for being this far out? gently caress that.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Omni for the 3rd year in a row. rack'em!

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Sire Oblivion posted:

Welp, got the Hotel Del Cornado 5 miles away. This wouldn't be that bad because at least I got something, but they honestly expect me to pay $319 for being this far out? gently caress that.

Are reservations transferable? Because we also got the Westin Gaslamp (gf got our Hilton) which is a hell of a lot closer with one king bed for $239 a night.

I've already offered to our friends but if they don't take it I'll transfer to you if I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Soarer posted:

Are reservations transferable? Because we also got the Westin Gaslamp (gf got our Hilton) which is a hell of a lot closer with one king bed for $239 a night.

I've already offered to our friends but if they don't take it I'll transfer to you if I can.

If we can transfer I'll definitely take you up on the offer, the hotel is basically going to make or break the trip for my group, everyone in the group said "gently caress that" when I told them what hotel we got and the price. Utterly ridiculous.

• Locked thread