Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
'I won't do something that's supposedly fun without pointless statistics accumulation and/or unlock progression' nerds are the worst kind of nerds and are ruining games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

aunt jemima posted:

Quoting an rear end in a top hat

Tim obviously doesn't care enough about people who use a website he worked on for free that they never paid him a dime for! What a jerk!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

EvilJoven posted:

'I won't do something that's supposedly fun without pointless statistics accumulation and/or unlock progression' nerds are the worst kind of nerds and are ruining games.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Are there any WW2 flight sims with Japanese planes other than Il-2: 1946 and War Thunder SB?

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013

mllaneza posted:

I don't believe it ever got a flyable B-24, maybe in a mod.

Its going in the next IL2 1946 update 4.13
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=40957

I do believe their are mods of indifferent quality of the B24, this seems like a rather good model especially with the update to bombing in IL2.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Finally got a 2nd throttle quadrant to do multiengine stuff and a new multi-head monitor adapter, time to get in to IFR.

Also, now that I am going to start doing IFR stuff and need my iPad for charts and plates, what's a good cheap android tablet I can run flightgauge on?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrs.flightgauge

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Ok I played around with Microsoft Flight for a few hours and want something better now. I tried to get FlightGear going but that didn't work out so hot, the cessna it came with kept throwing me into random camera angles and the tutorial just flew by at the bottom of the screen, didn't seem like a good novice program.

It sounds like Prepar3D is what I would be after in terms of still being developed and compatibility with FSX plugins. Does it have options though to tweak or turn down realism? What about tutorials.

Also I think it was in this thread I thought I saw a someone mention a bundle where you could buy Prepar3d + Rex and get a 50% discount, did I read that wrong? Googling hasn't come up with anything.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

P3D is for educational use only and not for fun so there likely isn't an option for turning down realism. You can of course just make life easier by only setting the weather to something nice and so on.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I remember Aces High II being a really fun experience and interesting game. The only thing that prevented me from getting more into it was the monthly subscription after the free trial. I noticed that it wasn't listed in the OP, though. Did the game die or is it just not considered kosher by this community?

I'm ignorant of the flight sim community.

Also, what do you guys think of the flight simulation in Arma 3?

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

Love Stole the Day posted:

I spend a lot of time in Arma flying, mostly as a transport or recon in helicopters. Although I find it fun it is certainly no simulation compared to something like DCS and such. Controls are simplistic and just about anyone could hop in an fly around with just keyboard and mouse with ease, I suppose if there was a term for flight in Arma it would be Arcade. I do enjoy it though and find what makes a good pilot is more to do with them identifying good routes and landing areas over the actual flying.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

if it's like arma 2 then flying around in jets is loving poo poo.

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

Megadyptes posted:

if it's like arma 2 then flying around in jets is loving poo poo.

Haven't had much experience flying jets yet in A3 but the helicopters are great to fly. In Arma 2 I was terrible at flying jets and crashed all the time whereas in Arma 3 I can only recall crashing once and that was just because I got a bit overconfident while doing a gun run and didn't pull out early enough.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Love Stole the Day posted:

Arma 3 is an infantry simulator at heart, and everything else (helicopters, jets, tanks, vehicles) are superficially modeled to make a better combined-arms environment for the infantry. That being said, it's one of the few games where you can actually influence the course of a battle by dropping off reinforcements and providing CAS to the infantry down below. So from that perspective it's a lot of fun. True flight-simulators tend to be kind of "sterile" and scripted in regards to the ground battle.

Specifically re: helicopters, the major thing missing is the yaw effect you get in real life when you raise collective. You'll still go down spinning if you lose your tail rotor, but unless that happens, there's no need to correct for engine-induced yaw.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DCS Huey is your best bet for military helicopters.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

And just got the sling-load added too! Looks impressive.

Worth buying without rudder though? Not sure!

EDIT: the DCS World beta patch is pretty drat fun. Tanks are super loving effective atm, and actually FUN to use.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 5, 2014

deck
Jul 13, 2006

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Dandywalken posted:

And just got the sling-load added too! Looks impressive.

Worth buying without rudder though? Not sure!

EDIT: the DCS World beta patch is pretty drat fun. Tanks are super loving effective atm, and actually FUN to use.

If your stick has a halfway decent twist axis you can kinda sorta make it work without rudder pedals but if you don't have either there's no chance in hell you'd be able to handle a helocopter.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Does anybody know how to shift your viewing angle in dcs to see the switches under the throttle?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
ctrl+shift+numpad or something like that. Go into the control settings and look under the view category. Or use headtracking I guess, DCS is honestly pretty hard to play without it.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Just buy the Warthog hotas and flip the physical switches instead!

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

You can also use snap views: http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Snap_views

I've never tried customisation, but you can set it up so that a key combo takes you to a user-defined view, or just use the default ones.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

P3D is for educational use only and not for fun so there likely isn't an option for turning down realism. You can of course just make life easier by only setting the weather to something nice and so on.

OK that's fine.

What about tutorials of any kind, or does Prepar3d pretty much assume you know how to fly or are going through flight school? Looking for stuff like heres how you deal with bad weather, heres how you climb reliably since my attempts in ms flight have been.. odd past a certain altitude.

Would there be any benefit to me picking up a copy of FSX for importing planes etc to p3d? Pretty sure i've seen flight sim stuff at half priced books so going to check that today.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hobbiesmaster is being a smartass. P3D has the same realism settings as FSX. No tutorials though. I would recommend getting a King PPL set, or something like that, or a copy of Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langewiesche, and just practicing with that material, in the sim.

In fact, if LockMart and NaturalPoint can stop fighting long enough to get TrackIR working in P3D, I'll be able to recommend it over FSX in every single case. It's simply better in every meaningful way.

(Note: the default aircraft includes the J-3 cub, but the next step up from there is either an M7 Maule, a Mooney Ovation, or a Bonanza. There isn't a C-172 or PA28 analogue in the default aircraft list.)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Give these a view if you want to learn how to fly in fsx aviator 90

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I've finally got my setup pretty much where I want it (minus a more powerful computer, but that's more than I can afford at the moment)

Just added a 2nd throttle quadrant and the X52.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I didn't think the asylum would let you bring that stuff in to your cell.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Colonial Air Force posted:

I didn't think the asylum would let you bring that stuff in to your cell.

They do surprisingly.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

How do you maintain your jedi focus levitating those monitors and fly at the same time?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ethanol posted:

How do you maintain your jedi focus levitating those monitors and fly at the same time?

Simple, I just apply helicopter physics to them.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Won a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X on Ebay (new), so I can finally give flying around a shot. Is the OP still accurate? (So get Microsoft Flight Simulator X)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I have a love/hate relationship with FSX. It's old, unsupported by MS, and runs/looks poor when stock (and runs poorly when not stock too).

However I think it has the most, and highest quality, add-ons of any civil sim to this day. I simply own too much FSX poo poo to switch to something like Xplane 10, and I'm not entirely sure I'd love Xplane 10 so much more that it would make it worthwhile. Prepar3d is a step in the right direction, but it's an educational license only and that does hamper some 3rd party support (many add-ons for FSX work fine with Prepar3d, but not always, and they're not going to be supported).

I don't know if this helps you or just confuses you more. For what it's worth, if I ever fly civilian sims I fly FSX.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you are starting from scratch I'd at least give a demo of XP10 a whirl. It really has gotten a lot better over the past couple of years.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

P3D regularly updated - 2.2 is coming on Monday. And if you need compatibility with FSX advice, just ask.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

MrYenko posted:

As in the BAE Hawk, or the Raytheon Hawk?

One is cool. The other would give FAR more amusement to me, personally. :getin:

BAE Hawk. Shooting down spergs would be amazing with the ground Hawk though. They cry enough when you bounce them in the FC stuff.

EvilJoven posted:

Will the Hawk be armed? I know it's a trainer but technically it can carry a gun pod and AA missiles as well as UGBs.

Hawk Dev posted:

With release will be stock DCS World weapons:

LAU-61 - 2.75' rockets MK151 HE
CBU-87
BDU-33
MK-82
AIM-9M
UPK-23-250 gun pod

Whilst we work on custom weapons.

Thanks,
Chris.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm having a ball just whipping up a random generated mission and rolling around using the tank's new LRF to blaze enemy armor from 3.5km away. Anyone else enjoying the 1.2.8 beta for DCS?

Hope its stable enough to go live next week. There are definitely a few performance and technical quirks that are hosed up atm. IR missiles with absurdly high spoof rates across the board for instance :(

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
I assume you need CA to enjoy the new tanks in the beta or is it some new 1.2.8 thing?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Today was a special day because I finally bought IL-2

Honestly how was I supposed to know there was a plane in front of me? I can't see over the dang dashboard

Tail spins everywhere!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

ethanol posted:

Honestly how was I supposed to know there was a plane in front of me? I can't see over the dang dashboard

Semi-serious answer: gotta constantly turn back and forth to see out either side of the plane. Don't worry though, these things happen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_T8SxnqV8U

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I remember when I first starting trying to take off in IL-2, I thought my joystick was broken because my plane kept turning sharp left. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Do yokes rotate and turn fast enough for them to be viable for racing games or even just euro truck sim?

Considering just going that route for flight sims and it would be a nice bonus to use them for driving, esp. if i eventually get pedals.