Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

THE loving MOON posted:

I really sincerely doubt it would work, but I'll bet the reason why they decided to release the 3DS version first is to drum up hype for the Wii U version. Nintendo's confident that Smash is going to be a hit, and they're probably hanging their hopes for the Wii U on people playing the 3DS version, and wanting to play on the TV. If they did it the other way around, the Wii U version wouldn't generate nearly as much good word of mouth as the 3DS version would just because there are so many more people who have a 3DS.

If so, Nintendo would have to make a big marketing push out of playing Smash 'the way its meant to be', or some such, both to convince people who maybe haven't hopped onboard at all to skip straight to the Wii U version, but also those that already have the game to then go out and get it again. I mean, its not impossible to do I would think, especially since as you said, you can have a potentially larger audience made aware in advance, but the words 'Nintendo' and 'marketing' together kinda leave me worried by this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Alteisen posted:

The strawman is strong in this one.

Smash is a hit dude regardless of what it would have come up against, you have a gigantic gap between one version and the other and the differences between are almost nil.

Its a dumb move.

the differences being one is on a tiny screen while the other will be on a huge screen with better HD, music, and stages is pretty good reason

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

Astro7x posted:

Let's just admit that there is not a release date that would have appeased this thread.

Ah, I see you're starting to understand the true nature of the Games goon.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MinibarMatchman posted:

the differences being one is on a tiny screen while the other will be on a huge screen with better HD, music, and stages is pretty good reason

The difference being that one is on a console people buy, and the other is on a dead console.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Kevyn posted:

I'd like to think Nintendo's marketing team isn't dumb enough to announce release dates to the general public in the form of fiscal years, but hahaha
Didn't they originally say MK8 was coming out Spring 2014, when it's coming out in May? Which, May is right in the middle of Spring, but if they're using actual seasons/fiscal year periods then that places SSB after December 21...

Again, I hope Nintendo isn't dumb enough to wait till after Christmas (and I don't think they are either), but just pointing out that if this game weren't absolutely critical for the Wii U having any chance of recovering, I think we'd probably interpret "Winter 2014" as very close to, or after Christmas. After all, aren't most Oct-Nov releases by most publishers listed as Fall 2014?

Personally, my suspicion is they're pushing hard for pre-Christmas, but if the dev time takes longer than they expect, Winter 2014 is vague enough to push it to early 2015 without it actually being a delay.

waffle fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 9, 2014

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Install Windows posted:

The difference being that one is on a console people buy, and the other is on a dead console.

nobody is going to use the 3ds for tourneys and poo poo over the wiiu

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Yo, I'm checking the deathwatch for Wii U like everyone else in this thread, but where the hell am I going to get my HD color fix when the drat thing finally croaks?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MinibarMatchman posted:

Ah yes, the much respected "pro" Smash community, silly Nintendo not thinking of their needs.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

The stages will be different too, and there will be much more music. They haven't said yet whether the Wii U version will get a level editor, but I'm assuming the 3DS version won't.

Alteisen posted:

Ah yes, the much respected "pro" Smash community, silly Nintendo not thinking of their needs.
When people talk about people who are so invested in Smash Bros that they'd buy a console just to play it, who else would you be talking about? It's not going to be casual party-type Smash fans. Those people aren't buying a Wii U for one game.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MinibarMatchman posted:

Nobody is going to use the Wii U. "Tournament" players of smash bros games are also a tiny minority and their opinions are irrelevant.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Alteisen posted:

I was more referencing the fact there's no way people will get together and huddle with their 3ds handhelds for social play, playing smash while yelling at your rear end in a top hat friends is half the fun and regardless of online play, I'd rather do that on a big screen

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MinibarMatchman posted:

I was more referencing the fact there's no way people will get together and huddle with their 3ds handhelds for social play, playing smash while yelling at your rear end in a top hat friends is half the fun and regardless of online play, I'd rather do that on a big screen

If all gamers were you, the WiiU would have more sales. Not all gamers are you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MinibarMatchman posted:

No one has a Wii U to huddle around.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Astro Nut posted:

If so, Nintendo would have to make a big marketing push out of playing Smash 'the way its meant to be', or some such, both to convince people who maybe haven't hopped onboard at all to skip straight to the Wii U version, but also those that already have the game to then go out and get it again.

I really don't think people are going to be all that upset about double-dipping on this one. Aside from each version having all-unique stages and presumably game modes for both (the 3DS version is confirmed to be getting an exclusive, really, really cool looking :siren:multiplayer:siren: retread of Adventure Mode from Melee), being able to play on a large screen makes a huge difference for a game like this.

Also there's going to be almost half a year between releases, I don't think most people who have both consoles are going to be that upset by the time Smash U comes out. Not that there's many of them.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
I don't think anyone will be upset but I do think there will be a decent number of people who will buy it for 3DS, have some fun with it, and be done with it by the time the Wii U comes out (and I think this casual interest in the game describes many SSB players). Granted, these people wouldn't have bought a Wii U for SSB, but I do think Nintendo is risking the Wii U version having very unimpressive sales.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think at bare minimum the 3DS Smash will outsell the Wii U Smash 3 to 1.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Given that the population with a 3DS is around 10 times greater at this point, I'd be more surprised if it didn't, regardless of anything Nintendo did or did not do.

Also that Direct just reminded me how fantastic Sakurai is as a game developer. I wouldn't mind him replacing Miyamoto someday, or hell, even Iwata (except that he wouldn't be making games anymore).

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 9, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Isn'tk sakurai the one who ruined other m by insisting that they change Seamus to being more womanly, and all that other terrible sexist story poo poo? And insist on the whole missile system?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

KittyEmpress posted:

Isn'tk sakurai the one who ruined other m by insisting that they change Seamus to being more womanly, and all that other terrible sexist story poo poo? And insist on the whole missile system?

That's Sakamoto.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

That's Sakamoto, a hack who has nothing to do with Smash Bros (aside from Samus looking the way she does now) .

Sakurai made Kirby, and in the last two years he made Kid Icarus: Uprising, which was one of the best games Nintendo's had in the last 5 years and probably in the last 10.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Oh man Kirby's return to dreamland was the best game I had on Wii. He shouls be in charge. Year of the pink blob for 2015, please.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yeah, no matter how much hype Smash builds I can't imagine anything that could possible happen that would bring sales for both versions anywhere close to parity. Even 3-1 seems optimistic.

I won't say they'll do what they can, because Nintendo has made a lot of obvious mistakes with the Wii U, but it would be incredibly dumb for them to not use Smash as an opportunity to push consoles.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Alteisen posted:

The strawman is strong in this one.

Smash is a hit dude regardless of what it would have come up against, you have a gigantic gap between one version and the other and the differences between are almost nil.

Its a dumb move.

To me, a completely different set of stages between the two versions is more than enough reason to double-dip. Now, admittedly, I think it would have been a smarter decision for Nintendo to release the Wii U version before the 3DS version for sure. However, to say the differences between the two versions is "almost nil" when they're going to have different stages and different modes is pretty silly.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Local multiplayer on tiny 3DS uncomfortable controller where everyone has to have one versus the WiiU version with full HD on a big screen is not even a comparison.

The WiiU's own tepid numbers will eat into potential Smash 4 sales, but the 3DS version being out a few months earlier won't have any effect at all.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

greatn posted:

Local multiplayer on tiny 3DS uncomfortable controller where everyone has to have one versus the WiiU version with full HD on a big screen is not even a comparison.

The WiiU's own tepid numbers will eat into potential Smash 4 sales, but the 3DS version being out a few months earlier won't have any effect at all.

"We don't need to buy you that system, you already have that game on the one you already have."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Soul Glo posted:

"We don't need to buy you that system, you already have that game on the one you already have."

gently caress YOU DAD YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING GOD!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah, whoever heard of a portable Nintendo game having a large multiplayer following.

Absolutely unheard of.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
The 3DS version will make them the most money, so they release it first to maximize sales and reduce cannibalization. Pretty simple. Smash isn't going to save the Wii U, so why not make the decision that gives them the most money?

The Wii U has already been written off as a loss. They just need to keep it floating long enough not to alienate their core fans, then replace it ASAP.

As someone who doesn't own a Wii U, just a 3DS, I'm very tempted to get both because I really want this gorgeous game in HD with a real controller and probably more content. The only real shared content is the roster, they both have different stages and game modes. We also don't know what the cross-talk is between them yet.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 9, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Neo Helbeast posted:

I believe they are talking about the 4chan E3 rumored Zelda, TLOZ: Eternal Sunshine(I think that was what they called it). Supposedly based on the 1st half of the game in perpetual sunlight and the second half of the game in complete darkness. Supposedly inspired by Western RPGs and focuses heavily on exploration and isolation.

Ninja edit: I found a screen cap: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/quite-an-interesting-zelda-concept-from-4chan.453900711/

So wait, it's Zelda Dark Souls?

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
By the time Smash U comes out the game will have already been eviscerated by the competitive Smash community who will no doubt be livid over system changes and character balance. These people are awful but they'll also poison a lot of the discussion and hype surrounding the game, Nintendo's making a big mistake by not cashing in on blind nostalgia while they still have the chance.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Equilibrium posted:

By the time Smash U comes out the game will have already been eviscerated by the competitive Smash community who will no doubt be livid over system changes and character balance. These people are awful but they'll also poison a lot of the discussion and hype for the game, Nintendo's making a big mistake by not cashing in on blind nostalgia while they have the chance.

Hey, hey, the competitive Smash community is literally impossible to please, and has already poisoned discussion of all future Smash games. There's no way for Nintendo to avoid that or release in a way that minimizes its impact.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Thanks to the Direct showing off how awesome the 3DS version is, and it's exclusives extras it gets AND it's closer release date I don't even need to buy the Wii U version now. Ty Nintendo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

quote:

These people are awful but they'll also poison a lot of the discussion and hype for the game

I'm pretty sure even a 9-year-old would recognize the complaints of a Pro Smash Bro and correctly label them as a crazy person.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
There will be exactly one SSB4 tournament and then the smash community will go back to Melee.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Does anybody in this thread actually think they have no more features to announce about a game coming out in November or December?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They probably won't talk about the Wii U version again until E3 where they'll dig into the differences some more, but it will only be undercut by them giving the day and date of the 3DS version in the same E3 Direct.

Much like NSMBU, I expect it to sell to the majority of existing Wii U owners, so maybe a couple of million sold for the game (even NSMBU managed that), but Smash 3DS will probably sell on par with Mario Kart 7 (9 million).

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Alteisen posted:

I too think it's a good business decision to go out of my way to piss off the people who buy and play my games.

note: I don't, and have never, played competitive smash bros

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 9, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

icantfindaname posted:

I too think it's a good business decision to go out of my way to piss off the people who buy and play my games.

It's hard to piss off nobody.

Anyway the "hardcore" Smash community is a vanishingly small subset of people who buy Smash games.. the whole point of it is that it's a game designed for people who are not hardcore gamers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah except this is a vastly tiny of minority who aren't going to be happy no matter what you do so why waste the energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It looks like they've gone out of their way to please competitive gamers. They did several balance things like eliminating morphing characters or gliding that seem tailor made for the competitive crowd, added the ability to further customize balance within the game, added an online mode specifically for being competitive, eliminated tripping and other stuff. I think Namco knows a thing or two about balancing fighting games.

• Locked thread