Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lord Binky posted:

At least the spoiler trolls haven't hit the Cosmos thread yet.

Human beings are going to destroy the planet they live on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I genuinely think it's a symptom of a greater social maladjustment. Think about it, there's no actual reason to do it other than to cause distress to strangers they don't have to interact with. So why would they want to cause distress? 'Because it is funny.' Okay, why would someone find that funny? Because there is something fundamentally wrong with them.

It isn't normal.

They get laughs- they get what they call, "lulz" (a corruption of LOL).

Enid Coleslaw
May 17, 2011

by Ion Helmet

I have been sexually assaulted 3 times and I am laughing at you, for being triggered by finding out Tyrion shoots Tywin in the toilet with a crossbow and Jeffery gets poisoned.

Enid Coleslaw fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 9, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Regy Rusty posted:

Human beings are going to destroy the planet they live on.

gently caress you, man. I'm only up to the Renaissance.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah and at a distance I can laugh at that. I also laugh at actual some human tragedies, but it doesn't mean that I would go and loosen the nuts on a fairground ride. Laughing from a distance at something unpleasant is entirely different to actually seeking to cause it.

Loosening the nuts on a fairground ride is a bad thing to do, because it might kill people, but spoiling a tv show isn't a bad thing to do, because the plot is never the best part of any good work of fiction, it's the cinematography, the characterization, the acting, the dialogue, the prose, the thematic cohesion, all that sort of good poo poo. You're a little weirdo for saying the thing about killing people.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Probably Magic posted:

Did you just compare spoilers to human tragedies?

Hello, I am an analogy.

A... N... A... L... O... G... Y...

Analogy. Say it with me. :)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bobfromsales posted:

Like, more or less 10 weeks?

I'd be fine with this.

Also spoilers aren't going to ruin your life. It's a dumb TV show. Is it assholish behavior? Yeah. But it's nothing egregious. Your life will go on.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Hello, I am an analogy.

It sure was the analogy you went with, that's for sure.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Hi, if I may interrupt, where did the current forum go? Clicking on the TV IV link in the leader takes me to archives from December.

El Spider
Nov 9, 2012

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah and at a distance I can laugh at that. I also laugh at actual some human tragedies, but it doesn't mean that I would go and loosen the nuts on a fairground ride. Laughing from a distance at something unpleasant is entirely different to actually seeking to cause it.

As glib and tired as your choice of cliché is, it does nothing to refute what I said or excuse their behaviour.

The answers you seek lie in the Codex: FYAD, brother. They are a strange breed, filthy xenos that take pride in nothing that is not the utter destruction of television story plots. Their numbers are few but they are deathless, shielded by the tens of dollars in forums merchandise purchased for them by their followers as some sort of sick tribute to their ironic lords. A fyadling wields trolling with the same precision as an eldar marksman and yet it has the stopping power of a gauss weapon. I would recommend that you read cautiously however, as knowing the FYAD secret, to even come close to comprehending it is heresy and would drive all but the purest of minds mentally ill with prodromal schizophrenia.

First they become obsessed with the idea of irony, and try to channel it in their daily lives and imagine funny things. Then they start posting about lunches obsessively, and repeating phrases like "I love making GBS threads inside friend of the family assholes" and "friend of the family balls" in their heads. Then they start to use their ironic style of humor to make jokes while on antipsychotics. It isnt long until they fall prey to the whispers of their god, niggerstomper58.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rabbit Hill posted:

Hi, if I may interrupt, where did the current forum go? Clicking on the TV IV link in the leader takes me to archives from December.

Click "Remove". You must have gone to the archives recently and didn't get rid of them.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Hello, I am an analogy.

Anal orgy, have it with me :D

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Hello, I am an analogy.

Your posts annoy me in the same way that Hitler annoyed the jews by brutally and recklessly gassing them to death. It is however, worth noting, that these do not relate to one another in any way, as this was actually an analogy I just did.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Click "Remove". You must have gone to the archives recently and didn't get rid of them.

Whew, thank you. I thought I was in a time warp.

Speaking of, does anyone know how I may watch the Doctor Who episodes featuring the 8th Doctor? Netflix doesn't have them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Eighth Doctor only appeared in a TV movie.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Whew, thank you. I thought I was in a time warp.

Speaking of, does anyone know how I may watch the Doctor Who episodes featuring the 8th Doctor? Netflix doesn't have them.

There is only one episode with him, and its the BBC/Fox TV Movie. I am not sure any streaming option has it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
So is this is an influx of mouthbreathers from the Game of Thrones thread proving the point they're attempting to refute?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Whens the last time you guys thought about Eek! the Cat?

Seriously underrated cartoon

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I miss Broad City already.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Fucker posted:

This does not make sense to me haha. Why would you compare spoiling a TV show on the somethingawful.com forums to loosening the nuts on a fairground ride? A bit hosed up if you ask me.

that doesn't even make sense as an analogy, try this one on your think pan:

spoiling me on Game of Thrones, the tv show, and raping me sexually

they both "take" something that you can never get back, in one case it's my knowledge of who gets murdered in the medieval walking dead, in the other it's my innocence, trust of other human beings, self esteem, etc

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

It was uneven but fun.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

She's, uh...

... fat.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Huh... I never realized Eek the Cat was it's own show. I always assumed that I was watching a bizarre version of Garfield.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ravane posted:

Huh... I never realized Eek the Cat was it's own show. I always assumed that I was watching a bizarre version of Garfield.

I believe it mostly aired as a double feature with another show.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

I believe it mostly aired as a double feature with another show.

Yeah, The Terrible Thunder Lizards was Eek's US Acres.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think we should have a thread for classic Nickelodeon cartoons, and I think it should be titled "Aatrek!!! Real Monsters."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

How was this season of Justified? Better or worse than the last one, which honestly kind of lost me?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Shageletic posted:

How was this season of Justified? Better or worse than the last one, which honestly kind of lost me?

Better, I think. More focused at least if you can ignore a single bad subplot.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Also spoilers aren't going to ruin your life.

I wish more people read this and took it to heart. The constant :spergin: about spoilers gets really old.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Look I'm not gonna punch anybody I just don't want any drat spoilers. Get those spoilers outta my face.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I like spoilers because they enable me to recognize subtle foreshadowing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Basically people treat television as a game of peek-a-boo. If you know when your mom is going to move her hands, it ruins the game.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
It's a well documented fact that not knowing something makes it more fun to uhh, know that thing. But later.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

smg77 posted:

I wish more people read this and took it to heart. The constant :spergin: about spoilers gets really old.

As does the constant :spergin: about people who are bothered by spoilers. Some people enjoy going into things completely blind and experiencing them without knowing what's going to happen. Get over it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Some people enjoy watching people writhe, writhe and bleat and burst at the seams when they hear what happens next before the designated air date. Get over it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

VDay posted:

As does the constant :spergin: about people who are bothered by spoilers. Some people enjoy going into things completely blind and experiencing them without knowing what's going to happen. Get over it.

This is this part where somebody posts that lovely little survey that "proves" that spoilers don't hurt your enjoyment of a work of fiction, as if reading centuries-old books and watching new ongoing television shows are in any way comparable.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is this part where somebody posts that lovely little survey that "proves" that spoilers don't hurt your enjoyment of a work of fiction, as if reading centuries-old books and watching new ongoing television shows are in any way comparable.

Yea I hate that poo poo. Aint no facts gonna get me on that spoiler train so zip those lips.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea chances are the old book has a better story to "ruin" than the 25th season of Law and Order SVU.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Centuries old books and modern television are both stories, written by people, enjoyed by others, unspoilable. Entertainment is not milk, not even metaphorically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

Some people enjoy watching people writhe, writhe and bleat and burst at the seams when they hear what happens next before the designated air date. Get over it.

Someone please think of the sadists!

• Locked thread