Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zeroisanumber posted:

Budwiser is considered a premium brand in China. Marketing is weird as hell.
Also the Super 8s there are luxury hotels, since 8 is the Chinese lucky number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
DK just ran a story about various right wing outlets complaining about gays being "sore winners". Their main point being that it's more than a bit stupid to be complaining about sore winners when you're still fighting against them, my main point being that what we talked about last page isn't just patting ourselves on the back. Doesn't really matter what your goalpost is for gay rights, having FOX news and co in such a hasty retreat all they can think to do is declare MEANIES!!! is an undeniably good thing.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

I know we're loving this derail but Breibart's California launch promotion lost them one of their contributors because of a Twerking Pelosi picture.

http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-breitbart-california-launch-20140407,0,6040800.story#axzz2yIxOQiGi posted:

SACRAMENTO -- The launch of a new political website in California, intended to highlight conservative success stories in the Golden State, quickly ran into trouble on Monday when controversial promotional images cost the organization one of its highest-profile contributors.

The images, including a Photoshopped depiction of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-San Francisco) on all fours in a bikini with her tongue hanging out, prompted House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-Bakersfield) to ask that his column be taken off the website.

“We didn’t condone them,” said Matt Sparks, a spokesman for McCarthy, referring to the website’s pictures. “We thought it was the right thing to do to ask for the column to be removed.”

Another image on the website, called Breitbart California, superimposed Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg's face on a topless female body. The picture's tag line says the website will be "covering Cali-sized IQs & cup sizes." Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown was shown with a body builder’s muscle-bound physique.

Breitbart California is a spinoff from the larger constellation of websites named for the late Andrew Breitbart, the popular conservative writer and provocateur who was born in Los Angeles.

"For years, California has been written off by conservatives as too far past the point of return, but the truth is every single day there are stories worth telling about the successes of the conservative movement in California and the failures of the left-wing establishment," said Breitbart News Executive Chairman Stephen K. Bannon in a statement.

Breitbart California generated its own controversy with the image of Pelosi (D-San Francisco), which the Democratic National Committee criticized as “demeaning and sexist.”

Jon Fleischman, a conservative blogger well-known in Sacramento circles who is the new website's politics editor, said critics "need to get over it."

"The folks at Breitbart have always been known as edgy," he said. "They made sure there was an element of that in the launch.”

Fleischman declined to answer questions about the removal of McCarthy’s column, and a spokesman for Breitbart, Kurt Bardella, referred inquiries to the congressman’s office.

Republican candidates for governor are using the website to publicize their platforms.

Assemblyman Tim Donnelly (R-Twin Peaks) wrote a column criticizing Democrats’ education policies, including a recent attempt in the Legislature to restore affirmative action to university admissions in California.

[Updated 9:58 p.m. Donnelly said Monday he had not seen the Pelosi image, but he was happy to have his column gain a wide audience.

"That was my goal," he said. "It isn’t my job to censor a news organization.”]

Former U.S. Treasury official Neel Kashkari contributed a piece saying voters are seeking economic prosperity that can be delivered with Republican policies. 

"Breitbart California’s launch can only help amplify the message and help us hold Jerry Brown and his fellow Democrats accountable for their record of failed leadership," he wrote.

A spokeswoman for Kashkari had no comment.

Ron Nehring, former chairman of the state Republican Party and a candidate for lieutenant governor, wrote his own column about how conservatives need to go on the offensive in California.

Asked about the picture of Pelosi, Nehring said, “I have not seen the image in question. If it is in poor taste, it should of course be taken down.”

Other columns came from Rep. Tom McClintock (R-Granite Bay) and Sen. Rand Paul (R-Kentucky), a potential 2016 presidential contender.

Fleischman said he hopes the website can "change the narrative and change the debate" in California.

“There is more to America than ultra-liberal policies," he said. "But here in California, that’s what is dominating. Our goal is to show there are other ideas.”

The advertising also caused a conservative blogger to write this:

http://jhpolitics.com/2014/04/breitbart-crosses-line-with-disgusting-pelosi-poster/ (AWFUL APP USERS NEED TO SWITCH URL TO DESKTOP VIEW) posted:

Breitbart Crosses Line With Disgusting Pelosi Poster

Posted by Justin Higgins

Breitbart News, the conservative to libertarian website which bares the namesake of the late Andrew Breitbart, is launching a California bureau. As part of that launch, they have printed and publicized some provocative posters advertising the site, and the posters are showing up across parts of Los Angeles and other California cities.

The posters range from funny to absurd, but one in particular crosses the line into downright repulsive. The poster to the right featuring Governor Jerry Brown and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi distinguishes itself as classless and grotesque.

Breitbart News, like many sites on our side of the fight, has pushed back vigorously against the left-wing “war on women” narratives. This single poster undercuts our argument immensely, diminishing Pelosi to a position that is undoubtedly sexist.

Imagine, for a moment, how sites like mine and Breitbart would react if Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann or Cathy McMorris-Rogers was photoshopped into a similar pose. We would respond, righteously, with indignation and outrage. Just because we have massive disagreements with Pelosi on policy doesn’t mean we can ignore the obvious double standard.

Andrew Breitbart was certainly a provocateur, and he was the master of using viral and outlandish tactics to bring the fight to the liberal left. That being said, I can’t recall anything he sanctioned being this offensive. Part of Breitbart’s appeal is that he held our side to a much higher ethical standard, which allowed his punches to land soundly on our political opponents.

While a majority of the outlandish posters are absurd enough to not be taken seriously, this particular creation should be banished to the depths of bad idea Hell. I know that a line has been crossed when I find myself agreeing with Ana Marie Cox. Let’s hope that this poster isn’t a sign of less than serious things to come from the Breitbart crew.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Intel&Sebastian posted:

DK just ran a story about various right wing outlets complaining about gays being "sore winners". Their main point being that it's more than a bit stupid to be complaining about sore winners when you're still fighting against them, my main point being that what we talked about last page isn't just patting ourselves on the back. Doesn't really matter what your goalpost is for gay rights, having FOX news and co in such a hasty retreat all they can think to do is declare MEANIES!!! is an undeniably good thing.

If the article included "being butthurt" over the gays being "sore winners", it would be a never ending wormhole of tasteless, semi-homophobic innuendos.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

In the same vein as people being offended by "not winning gratuitously" there's also a bunch of dumbass forbes contributed editorials claiming that boycotting Mozilla because the CEO is anti-gay is equivalent to conservatives boycotting a company because the CEO is gay and thus bad.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ilyashapiro/2014/04/06/mozillas-ceo-showed-the-cost-of-disclosure-laws-by-crossing-the-satan-scherbatsky-line/

That is already a stupid argument by someone that doesn't "get" how discrimination works but on top of that conservatives boycott (or threaten to) companies all the time if they are pro-gay.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/perkins-rails-against-starbucks-radical-agenda
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/31/conservatives-urge-boycott-of-rose-parade-over-same-sex-wedding-float/
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/03/13/conservative-groups-boycott-ford-motor-co-over-gay-rights-support/

It's not the fault of pro-gay people if they are just better at this whole "free market" thing and their boycotts actually work.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Andrew Sullivan posted:

Thank you for the hundreds and hundreds of emails about the Mozilla-Eich affair. My readers overwhelmingly disagree with me for a host of reasons. But I have to say that this time, the more I have mulled this over, the more convinced I am that my initial response to this is absolutely the right one. And not just the right one, but a vital one to defend at this juncture in the gay rights movement.

Oh, gently caress you, Sully. gently caress you until your insides turn to coal, then diamond.

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2014/04/06/the-quality-of-mercy/

This is so craven it's almost awe-inspiring. He starts by admitting that all of his previous arguments were bogus (there was no government or gay left march to hound Eich), then simply claims that the point is that we should all be merciful and let bigots by the unique precious snowflakes they are, lest we sully their habitat and drive them away. Besides, we are not 100% sure we're in the right. We could all be wrong! Why not err on the safe side and let anti-vaxxers run health organizations and companies, cast Mel Gibson to every movie, and so on?

Also, buy his book.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

Part of Breitbart’s appeal is that he held our side to a much higher ethical standard

:laffo:

I mean I applaud the guy for taking the non-idiots stance and realizing that sort of thing has electoral consequences but talking about Breitbart holding people to ethical standards and bemoaning an upjumped RW feverswamp blog for having double standards is real deck chairs on the Titanic type stuff.

It's like they physically cannot stop themselves from just leaving it at "Breitbarts CA crew are a bunch of idiots who are losing us votes in exchange for a couple of childish laughs and a few ad dollars". Nope, that's just too far for your average conservative so we need to make sure they know we live in the same pretend fairy land they do where Andrew Breitbart isn't widely remembered as a ruthless journalistic hack and a conservative not practicing what they preach is an outlier rather than a defining trait.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

He's not really taking the non-idiot's stance, he's taking the weasel stance. He's just using the typical "there really ISN'T a war on women so please stop making it look like there is Republicans!" line, made more apparent that he thinks Breitbart of all people held himself or his staff up to some kind of positive ethical standard. You can't just take people with sincere misogynist (or racist, homophobic, whatever) ideals and hope that stuff doesn't accidentally come out. You have to chuck those people out or change your policies but we all know that if the GOP does that they will alienate a large percentage of their base. They want the best of both worlds where they can appeal to bigots but have the plausible deniability that they aren't ACTUALLY bigots and people who don't like that aren't really buying their lies as easily.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 8, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Well y'know. Baby steps. I don't expect him to become the GOP's womens issues crusader, but I also didn't expect to see anybody even acknowledge that there was a problem with the ads, much less point out the brainless "lipstick on a pig" double standard. And really this is about as explicit as you're ever going to get one of these guys to admitting they have a problem with women so again, baby steps. The idiotic stance to me would be "What's the problem here? It's just a joke! Get over it libs!" seeing as that's someone happily throwing away votes in exchange for whatever emotional charge they get out of weirdo photoshops of people they don't like and a chance to play the victim for the 20th time today. 50 people do that and nothing good happens for the GOP. 50 people say "C'mon, this is stupid and counterproductive" and we might lose out on the next genius Breitbart CA move that can be trotted out as more proof positive that they're garbage.

Or someone might realize that being a sexist poo poo who doesn't give a gently caress about more than half the voting populace isn't a good thing to be doing in a number of ways and starts treating women decently. I'm fine with that either way.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

joeburz posted:

So if I get drive thru taco bell does that mean I support immigration reform?
I think it means you support marijuana legalization.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Jack in the Boxes midnight meals are explicitly advertised to stoned people. Also that chicken sandwich with mozzarella sticks on it is loving fantastic.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I guess. I'd just rather they keep saying awful things that make good sound-bytes to highlight how terrible they are. These conservatives that focus on the delivery of the message really want another "welfare queen" or "inner city youth" so they can screw over people but have a way of saying it that makes it popular instead of repellent. The really disgusting stuff they sometimes produce which finally elicits some self criticism, such as the Breitbart Pelosi image is really what they are all saying, just not as blatantly. They understand that there is a line that you can't cross and still claim to not be bigoted since they rely on the argument that you can't see that they are REALLY misogynistic and that's why they're pushing terrible laws. When Aiken or Breitbart makes it too clear they can't pretend to be innocent anymore and that is what they are trying to stop, not anything actually slanderous to women. Making that poster go away isn't going to stop their assault on women's issues.

I'd like to believe that them toning down the hateful rhetoric would result in them becoming less hateful but every article written by a conservative pundit or politician on this issues always concentrates on stopping people from saying these things and not anything about changing policies. It's 100% the message they are uncomfortable with while they consider the goals totally acceptable.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Jack in the Boxes midnight meals are explicitly advertised to stoned people. Also that chicken sandwich with mozzarella sticks on it is loving fantastic.

Bennigan's used to have a burger with a wheel of fried mozzarella on it that my 12 year old self thought was amazing.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 8, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Good points, I don't disagree with any of it, but I'm personally not as scared anymore of the modern GOP groping around for the next "welfare queen" seeing as they no longer have the discipline or smarts needed to keep the mask from slipping on even the old ones they know work. They grew up not realizing the point of saying "welfare queen" and now they don't understand what's wrong with just saying black/blagh people are lazy. They know it means the same thing, they've been told it's true and everyone knows it, so why use this weird code word for it? They think it's to protect people's feelings rather than their own gross ideas.

Basically I think we could wipe them off the map if we convinced them their own dogwhistle words are PC bullshit. Just say what you mean, it's the American way. :patriot:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Budweiser is terrible beer. I mean, god drat that's bad beer. Chic-Fil-A chicken is awful and their politics help me not eat there almost as much as their stupid politics. I don't get the fascination with CFA at all. KFC is pretty tasty, or used to be, but their service sucks everywhere. Taco Bell is drive thru diarrhea and I can't see how anyone can eat it, let alone digest it. Most fast food is pretty bad.

Having said all that, food derails are the worst and even more distasteful than the lovely food we find a way to discuss every 25 pages or so.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

quote:

RUSH: Here's John in Chicago. John, great to have you. Glad you called, sir. Hello.

CALLER: Hello, sir. Thank you so much for taking my call.

RUSH: Yeah.

CALLER: It's a pleasure to talk to you again.

RUSH: You bet.

CALLER: I wanted to respond to your comments about the congressman making out with a woman who wasn't his wife at a Christmas party.

RUSH: Vance McAllister. He's gotta go. He's gotta go.

CALLER: You seem incredulous at that suggestion, and I think that I have never considered marital infidelity to be a partisan political issue. I think one gets himself in trouble when they try to treat it that way. I think that we all know that good family values, conservative Republicans like Mark Sanford and David Vitter and John Ensign and Larry Craig got a pass from Republicans for their infidelity. I wonder if you could be honest enough to compare the call for Mr. McAllister to resign to the reaction on the part of Republicans to Anthony Weiner, who never actually laid a hand on a woman, at a Christmas party or otherwise. I mean, do you see any disparity there, sir?

RUSH: Well, yeah. Let me go at this a different way. See, the elephant in the room that you can't comment or you don't want to --

CALLER: The elephant.

RUSH: Pardon?

CALLER: I said, "the elephant." It was kind of a pun. I thought you were making a Republican joke there. But okay, go ahead.

RUSH: No, no, no, no, no. I'm not. That's too easy. Elephant equals Republican? No, no, no. The elephant in the room is Bill Clinton, and you can't deny it. This is more than Mr. Infidelity. I mean, this is just beyond the pale, and there were all of these cover-ups. There was every effort in the world made to facilitate his lying about it. And then when he finally had to come clean, they did their best to say, "Ah, it's just sex. Ah, it's not his fault. Ah, it's nothing. It doesn't affect the way he did his job. Come on, it's just sex!" Hollywood got going and so forth. Now, you mentioned Weiner.

CALLER: That seems to me the real comparison. I know you want to talk about Bill Clinton. But Anthony Weiner, that seems like the real comparison. Everybody said he had to resign, and now people are saying McAllister needs to resign and you somehow think that's unfair. Why is it okay to call for Anthony Weiner to resign?

RUSH: I'm not talking about unfairness at all. If you listen here regularly, you know that "fairness" to me is like "equality." It's ephemeral. You can't quantify it; it's silly to demand it. This is not about fairness, to me.

CALLER: And I thought it was hypocrisy. (snickers)

RUSH: This is about the lack of professionalism and consistency about bias in the media, pure and simple. Now, you wonder why Weiner was sacrificed. He wasn't likable even in his own party. They didn't like the guy.

CALLER: Ohhhh.

RUSH: So they had no problem getting rid of him. There was no value in holding on to Anthony Weiner. He was a creep.

CALLER: So if you like a guy, it's okay if they cheat on their wife?

RUSH: drat right, if you're the Democrats! If you like [him], you're gonna find a way to keep him in power.

CALLER: David Vitter is really likable, and John Ensign was, and Mark Sanford, really likable.

RUSH: They all lost their jobs. Wait a second. They all lost their jobs.

CALLER: Every one of them stayed in office and finished their term. Every one of them. Mark Sanford has now been reelected to public office in South Carolina.

RUSH: 'Cause he's paid the price. He paid his price.

CALLER: Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me?

RUSH: It was real love, it turned out, in Sanford's case.

CALLER: (laughing)

RUSH: You have to admit it, it was real love. There's only one thing that could explain that kind of erratic behavior and that's real love.

CALLER: You know, you're being a hypocrite, Rush. I'm sorry.

RUSH: No, I'm not. I'm not the hypocrite.

CALLER: Sir, you're the one defending all these Republicans.

RUSH: I'm not the hypocrite. You call here and say that infidelity is not a partisan issue, and you don't even talk about Mr. Infidelity. You leave him out. You leave him out completely.

[almost endless :qq:ing about Bill Clinton]

RUSH: This is the problem, John. Your sense of humor is just dormant. Parody, satire. I'm not incredulous. I know how the game works. I know the guy's gone. I know he's history. I never called for any of these people to resign. I never do that. I don't look at it that way. My effort here is totally on informing the public and have them looking at things the way I do and have fun with all of this. That's what you don't see. You heard me open the program, and you think I'm really mad about this? I'm simply having fun. You guys gotta lighten up. You just have to lighten up.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: You know, I got people saying, "The Democrats threw John Edwards overboard." They did not throw John Edwards overboard. They stuck with Edwards. They ignored the story. The Enquirer was the only source, and it wasn't until Edwards' wife died that the women of the Democrat Party demanded that he be dealt with.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: We had our last caller who we finally figured out did not understand my sense of humor. I'm not gonna accuse this guy of it, but remember yesterday we were talking about this? I'll tell you something. I really enjoyed yesterday's program.

You know, some days I walk outta here thinking it could have been better. Yesterday I walked outta here pretty fulfilled. I walked outta here and I said, "I got it done. I finally was able to express this, explain this, whatever, in the exact way I've intended to." It's because a couple of brand-new lights went off in my head over the weekend about this.

This is such a glaring disparity, the automatic assumption of our motives, the automatic assumption of our intentions by these people who claim to own all the good intentions. And yesterday in discussing all that, I happened to mention that when Media Matters first came into existence, their first ever home page for all intents and purposes was me, 'cause they're looking for clicks.

Everybody wants hits. So they felt, well, I'm an instant click. I'm an instant hit. So they put the top 25 things I've said about feminism, and they were all uproariously funny. But not to them. They were genuinely insulting and wrath incurring. They were things like, "I love the women's movement, especially when walking behind it." That just sent 'em into orbit.

They had Undeniable Truth of Life No. Four: "Feminism was established so as to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream." It's undeniably true. That made 'em mad. Every one of them made 'em mad! This guy that called and said, "Rush, I'm surprised at you. You can't say that infidelity is a partisan issue. It most certainly isn't," and then people started talking to me about John Edwards.

John Edwards? The Enquirer had the goods on Edwards for two years before the Drive-Bys got anywhere near it. They were hoping it could be suppressed, because everybody had a lot of hope invested in Edwards and his "two Americas" campaign theme and his hair and his supposed good looks and his relative youth.

So they thought it was the future shining star of our party, and they did everything they could to suppress what the guy did. There wasn't a story about the first time they found out he'd kissed that Rielle Hunter babe like there is with Vance McAllister. There was two years of silence. It wasn't until his poor wife died that the women of the Democrat Party, "Okay, he's gotta go now.

"His poor wife is gone. She can't be humiliated any further. Get rid of him." The women of the Democrat Party finally forced him out, like they should have Ted Kennedy, but they didn't. There's another one. Ted Kennedy, Bill Clinton and so forth? Who can ever forget Eliot Spitzer, for crying out loud! I mean, Eliot Spitzer tried to hang on. They did everything they could, but he wasn't liked, either.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/04/08/humorless_caller_doesn_t_understand_how_infidelity_by_politicians_is_made_partisan

From yesterday's program:

Rush Limbaugh posted:

I'll give you another example. How does it work on the other side? Okay, the other day, Stephen Colbert sent out a tweet -- just a total, racist tweet -- making fun of Chinese people, while he was intending to make fun of Daniel Snyder, by the way. He totally blew it, but the left rallied to his defense. "Come on, you know Colbert. He wouldn't intend to make fun of Chinese people."
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/04/07/how_does_the_left_do_it
Who doesn't understand parody and satire now? :smug:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey wanna know a good joke?

Rush Limbaugh got caught with boner meds that weren't his on a flight to the Dominican Republic.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Someday soon he'll code after a handful of oxycontin and we'll realize what wonderful insanity is forever gone from our lives.

quote:

CALLER: David Vitter is really likable, and John Ensign was, and Mark Sanford, really likable.

RUSH: They all lost their jobs. Wait a second. They all lost their jobs.

CALLER: Every one of them stayed in office and finished their term. Every one of them. Mark Sanford has now been reelected to public office in South Carolina.

RUSH: 'Cause he's paid the price. He paid his price.

CALLER: Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me?

RUSH: It was real love, it turned out, in Sanford's case.

CALLER: (laughing)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Impressive verbal gymnastics from such a fat, greasy man. The truth is whatever I want it to be at any particular moment in time!

It's like it doesn't really matter if you catch him in a lie or blatant hypocrisy. He drat sure wouldn't have survived this long if he wasn't adept at weaseling out of it.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Rush seems to be getting a lot of callers who aren't willing to suck his dick lately. Are his screeners slipping or something?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Maybe he got called out on his planted callers somewhere significant. That flame out into a failed "I was just kidding" landing was epic though. He just reached for the nearest exit and made up a story about how he got there hahahaha. It barely even makes grammatical sense, he just blurts out his escape hatch and starts riffing.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 8, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly he doesn't seem that great at weaseling out of it. His listeners will believe whatever he says so it's not like he has to really do anything to "win" an argument on his own show. Look at the few instances of him being outside his element to see how great he really is at this sort of thing.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Marlamaid Swordhand posted:

I know we're loving this derail but Breibart's California launch promotion lost them one of their contributors because of a Twerking Pelosi picture.

The advertising also caused a conservative blogger to write this:
California has enough liberals to make state politics lean pretty liberal overall, but there are huge swathes of conservatives, especially in the more affluent parts of Southern California. Even San Francisco has a lovely conservative talk radio station (lovely in that it's a conservative talk radio station, not that it's lovely by the low standards of such) and Mike Savage.

Breitbart's entire purpose in life could be summed up as "hurt liberals, help conservatives, gently caress everything else" and his organization hasn't faltered from that in the slightest. His is the place that launched James O'Keefe, and that by itself should wreck any chance of them having anything like a reputation for seeking the truth. Even in my very most "truth is in the middle" moments, Brietbart and his organization are just way beyond the pale.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Limbaugh used to be a lot quicker on his feet, mentally, before he fell into his pill addiction. Nowadays, he just splutters word salad when he has to go off script. If it was anyone else, I'd say it's sad, but...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Guilty Spork posted:

California has enough liberals to make state politics lean pretty liberal overall, but there are huge swathes of conservatives, especially in the more affluent parts of Southern California. Even San Francisco has a lovely conservative talk radio station (lovely in that it's a conservative talk radio station, not that it's lovely by the low standards of such) and Mike Savage.
Oh yeah, people don't realize it, but if you get more than 40 miles from a major body of water in California, you might as well be in Kentucky, politically speaking. California gave the nation the John Birch Society, the Crystal Cathedral, the Trinity Broadcast Network, the Taxpayer's Revolt, Ronald Reagan, and Richard Nixon. Take the I5 down the central valley, and you'll pick up militia crank am stations and drive by "US OUT OF THE UN" billboards.

Cali is overall liberal, and trending even more liberal over time, but there are deep wells of conservatism there too.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
THOSE drat COMPUTER MODELS!!!! :bahgawd:

quote:

RUSH: Now, I got a story here, this from the UK Telegraph. You'll not ever find a story like this in the Drive-By Media. "The Game is up for Climate Change Believers." Oh, and I'm looking for one thing. I hope I put it in this Stack. Yeah, I found it. Okay, here we go. "The Game is up for Climate Change Believers." Before I tell you what's in this, let me tell you something I saw yesterday was reading my tech blogs that buttresses the point.

The left -- now, don't doubt me on this. The left, all of these people on the left, think that their "science" for global warming is dead-on right. They do. They think it's irrefutable. This "consensus" of scientists, they believe it. They really believe that we are destroying the planet. They really believe we don't have much time. Folks, they believe all this. They now are frustrated at all of us "deniers," as you know.

They're really mad, and they're think they could put us in jail. They don't let us speak, all that kind of stuff. But now their academics are doing research surveys to try to explain to them why we deniers don't accept "the science." They have engaged in massive amounts of research. To them, the science is unassailable. To them, the science is one fact after another that says, "Man is destroying the climate!"

So they started a research project with some people at Yale with the premise, "Okay, the science is irrefutable. Why do smart people reject the science?" They have engaged in very deep psychological examinations of people who they believe know the science says the climate is warming and yet we reject it, and they can't understand why. Do you know what they're blaming it on?

The headline of the story: "Politics Makes Us Stupid." It was a piece by Ezra Klein at his new website Vox-whatever dot-com.
Koko, I didn't print it out. Koko, you need to find that and link to it on our home page so people can find it. If you want to take the time to read this, it's the most amazing thing. They have got themselves believing that the only reason we don't succumb...

For example, they think if me or anybody like me were to all of a sudden come here and tell you, "By the way, folks, we are destroying the planet," it would end my career. You would abandon me and so forth. So I am willing -- because of my political associations, I am totally willing -- to disavow real science and be wrong. I mean, the hubris and the arrogance here is just stunning.

They are so beside themselves that they can't make us see the science like they do, that they think there's something deeply wrong with us psychologically. They've come up with some of the most convoluted theories and experiments and so forth to prove it and it basically boils down to the more educated you are on politics, the stupider you are in science or the more recalcitrant you are to accept science.

Now, the fact is, their science is bogus!

Their science isn't science.

Their science is computer models.

They don't have any science!

But you can't tell 'em that. They think their science is the bible, and their science says only one thing, that man is destroying the planet by causing temperatures to rise.

So they can't figure out why, with the "evidence" is irrefutable and clear as it is, that we become even more opposed. So that's what they're digging deep trying to explain to themselves -- and of course the truth is, their evidence is bulls---. They don't have any! All they've got is computer models. There is no evidence. All they've got is predictions, of a hundred years out! They don't have anything!

They don't even talk about the hoax e-mails from the East Anglia University. So let me go back here to Charles Moore writing in the UK Telegraph, just to... No, I'll read one other paragraph from it just to repeat. "The theory of global warming is a..." Now, here's the answer to that paragraph: Why don't we believe? Why don't we? We believe what they tell us about galaxies, and we believe...

I don't know that we even do. We just know who can refute that? We can't see galaxies. If they want to tell us they found Galaxy X5, fine. They found it. We're never gonna go there. Hell, nobody invests in it. Now, if they want to tell us Galaxy X5 15,000 light years from earth is destroying the planet, then they got a problem.
But in this paragraph they say we don't reject any other science. Anything else they tell us, we believe. Why?

Yet they're telling us with ontological certitude that unless we pay higher taxes and support one-world government, the climate's gonna be destroyed.

And nobody can know that! They're asking us to believe a future prediction of a hundred years out, when we won't even believe a 10-day weather forecast -- and they get mad at us for being stupid! These global warming clowns exist as a result of a belief than that big and bad's gonna happen someday.

That's who makes up the lion's share of the global warmests, the elites, the academics, the scientists, and in many cases the rank-and-file. Now, let me move on to another little piece, something to delve on this. Headline: "Members of Parliament Seek to Silence Climate Change Skeptics." This is another story where they want to deny speech to people that don't believe and they want to put 'em in jail.

Of course it makes perfect sense. They're totalitarianists. They're fascists. Of course they would. It makes perfect sense.
There's a guy that writes for the Newark Star-Ledger who doesn't like me at all. His name is Paul Mulshine, and he has authored countless hit pieces of me over the course of many years. But he has a piece in today's paper, and I don't know...

May I translate this for you?

In 1980, science -- a consensus of scientists -- said, "Cholesterol is bad and that in order to reduce your cholesterol, you had to stop eating high-saturated foods and all this sort of stuff. That led to a low-fat diet, and everybody got on a low-fat diet, and obesity just went crazy." They found out that it wasn't reducing the amount of cholesterol you ate, saturated fats that was causing it; it was the amount of refined carbohydrates.

It's exactly what Atkins and all these low-carb diet doctors say: If you want to get healthier, reduce your carbs.
Well in a low-fat diet, you increase your carbohydrate intake. You stop eating beef, you stop eating butter, you stop eating things with no carbohydrates, and you carbo load on the theory that you're eating healthier.

And what happened is obesity picked up like crazy. The bottom line is that the original consensus was proven wrong. Okay? He then writes, "Last month, the prior consensus was turned on its head by a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine. A meta-analysis of 76 studies and clinical trials showed no link between fat, even saturated fat, and increased heart-disease risk."

He goes on to say: So what if they're all wrong again about climate science? They've been wrong before. But there's more. There's one more thing, and this one more thing involves perhaps the smartest man in the world. Not Hawking.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Okay. Back to this Mulshine piece. He said. "...I would encourage my fellow journalists to keep that in mind in light of the highly touted 'consensus' on the role of carbon dioxide in promoting global warming. Climate science is infinitely more complicated than human physiology. Once all of the data are in, we may find that atmospheric carbon dioxide actually has the effect predicted by physicist Freeman Dyson of the Institute of Advanced Study in Princeton."

Freeman Dyson is among the signatories of a letter to the UN criticizing the IPCC. Freeman Dyson is one of the smartest people around. He's a scientist, a physicist, who says CO2 could well be a good thing.

Remember, they said the same thing about cholesterol, and they said the same thing about coffee and oat bran and all that. They're always wrong. So now we're supposed to believe a 100-year prediction or 30-year prediction or 50-year prediction, when nobody knows what the future is and they're acknowledging that.

They say, "We can't afford to find out if we're wrong!" It's how they cover themselves. Folks, it's a giant hoax, and science cannot possibly be science if there's a consensus. It's not up to a vote. They're panicking. They're losing ground. That's Paul Mulshine in the Newark Star-Ledger. Sorry, Paul, I had to highlight you. I know it's not gonna help you with your buddies, but it's a good piece. What can I say? You wrote a good piece.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/04/08/ezra_klein_psychoanalyzes_us_and_paul_mulshine_writes_a_good_piece_on_carbon
Why yes of course climate science is exactly the same thing as studies on human physiology! If you've ever been wrong once then you are absolutely going to be wrong about anything and everything in the future! When am I going to get my monthly speaker's fee from the Koch brothers?!?! :qq:

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

FMguru posted:

Oh yeah, people don't realize it, but if you get more than 40 miles from a major body of water in California, you might as well be in Kentucky, politically speaking. California gave the nation the John Birch Society, the Crystal Cathedral, the Trinity Broadcast Network, the Taxpayer's Revolt, Ronald Reagan, and Richard Nixon. Take the I5 down the central valley, and you'll pick up militia crank am stations and drive by "US OUT OF THE UN" billboards.

Cali is overall liberal, and trending even more liberal over time, but there are deep wells of conservatism there too.

Once you get out in the sticks where the majority of Californians don't live, you run into a bunch of small town rednecks with small town redneck political views. Surprise, surprise.

And maybe it's just because I hang out in this forum far too much, but social issues aside, San Francisco isn't *that* liberal. On one hand, yes, nobody gives a flying gently caress if you smoke weed (not even the cops) and it's a good, safe place to be gay. On the other hand, it's one of the most snobby, NIMBYish places I've ever lived, and the city government is basically bought and paid for by the rich.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

It's funny, rightwingers generally accept scientific facts, except the small number that clash with their ideological worldview. And those facts are wrong because...well because they have to be, because conservatism is never wrong.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

kik2dagroin posted:

THOSE drat COMPUTER MODELS!!!! :bahgawd:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/04/08/ezra_klein_psychoanalyzes_us_and_paul_mulshine_writes_a_good_piece_on_carbon
Why yes of course climate science is exactly the same thing as studies on human physiology! If you've ever been wrong once then you are absolutely going to be wrong about anything and everything in the future! When am I going to get my monthly speaker's fee from the Koch brothers?!?! :qq:

Is there a response to this besides doubling over in laughter? Because that's the only coherent response I can think of.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Thanks for posting this.

I caught this exchange this afternoon and was really taken aback by it. Someone got through the screeners, absolutely owned Rush, made coherent arguments and didn't get cut off or dropped and seemed to maintain his cool and sense of humor throughout the whole segment.

The most amazing part of it was it was that Rush let him keep going and allowed the dude to eat his lunch.

Which I'm certain angers Limbaugh more than anything. I mean having his lunch eaten as a fat joke.

The Rokstar posted:

Rush seems to be getting a lot of callers who aren't willing to suck his dick lately. Are his screeners slipping or something?

The Rokstar posted:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Maybe he got called out on his planted callers somewhere significant. That flame out into a failed "I was just kidding" landing was epic though. He just reached for the nearest exit and made up a story about how he got there hahahaha. It barely even makes grammatical sense, he just blurts out his escape hatch and starts riffing.

More than likely it has something to do with ratings and "dialing it up notch" or generating controversy by exposing his listeners to the "vast left wing conspiracy" or some such bullshit. Rush doesn't care. He knows he's full of poo poo but he counts so much money every night that it doesn't matter one bit. That's the business model for right wing media.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 9, 2014

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Freedom of Speech for all.
Freedom from government intervention in business and personal affairs.

"I dislike a minority group and use hate speech."

Business declines as a result of people reacting to bigotry.

Resultant populist boycotts are obviously repression of free speech rights.
Demands that the President and federal government intervene to protect and regulate trade.

Yes. Yes ALL of this is cognizant, conservatives. Really.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats

~Rushy-poo~ posted:

Now, the fact is, their science is bogus!

Their science isn't science.

Their science is computer models.

They don't have any science!

That sounds like a line from a villain from a really lovely Sci-Fi show.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

That Irish Guy posted:

That sounds like a line from a villain from a really lovely Sci-Fi show.

"...and all of SCIENCE will be mine!"

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

quote:

They had Undeniable Truth of Life No. Four: "Feminism was established so as to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream." It's undeniably true. That made 'em mad.

What is this even supposed to mean?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

What is this even supposed to mean?

It means Rush Limbaugh thinks he's entitled to the attention of women, and pointing out he treats them like poo poo is getting in the way of that god given right. Standard MRA thought.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
No I mean "allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream". What does that even mean? Mainstream what?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No Fat Chicks - fitness guru Rush Limbaugh

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Mainstream media? Culture? Consciousness? It used to be you'd only see pretty girls advertising cigarettes and cookware, now it's all Hillary Clintons and Rachel Maddows, having their short hair on TV. That's feminism for you!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
In a patriarchal society, the easiest way for a woman to gain power and influence is to win the heart of a powerful man. This is easier if you're beautiful, harder if you're ugly. By allowing women to gain power without relying on a man, feminism erodes the importance of attractiveness and therefore makes things easier for unattractive women. This is unfair for some reason.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

No I mean "allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream". What does that even mean? Mainstream what?

I think it's just trying to attack liberal women in any way he can, so he just calls them ugly. In Rush Limbaugh's world I guess the uggos would be kept in the closet and not allowed out in public or something, but I wouldn't think too deeply about it beyond him being a fat sexist poo poo trying to attack liberals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Pththya-lyi posted:

In a patriarchal society, the easiest way for a woman to gain power and influence is to win the heart of a powerful man. This is easier if you're beautiful, harder if you're ugly. By allowing women to gain power without relying on a man, feminism erodes the importance of attractiveness and therefore makes things easier for unattractive women. This is unfair for some reason.

In fairness, historically skill and craft could replace looks. Before industrialization cottage industry was the thing. Which meant women controlled the means of production for a lot of stuff. If you were a shepherd's son would you rather marry the plain girl who makes the best woolen clothe and is heir to a valuable dye recipe or the pretty girl with mediocre textile skills?

After all, male infidelity wasn't a vice so you could sleep with all manner of women. But you only got to take labor and the resulting profit from your wife. And since most of what you'll eat for the rest of your life is stuff she cooked that should factor in to the equation somewhere. Bottom line, the historical normal is for your wife's abilities in skilled labor to have significant effects on your personal quality of life. Ergo, A wife with mad skills was more desirable.

Then the machines came, took all our jobs, and looks became way more important. Women's work became women's cute nostalgic hobbies and our soft power plummeted.

I would argue that folks like that guy actually hold women in far more contempt than his kind 100 years ago did. Modern groups that eschew technology like the Amish are still patriarchs and have specific female roles ... But they honestly respect achievement within those roles. No empty blatherings. Sincere respect. The women's roles include a wide variety of skilled labor which produces desirable goods obtainable in no other way within the community.