Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I like his idea, but like hell I'm supporting a douchenozzle of that magnitude. Anyone else want to copy his idea and put it up on Spaceport :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kommando posted:

Good thing Maxmaps floats about here and we can give the team advanced warning.

This discussion about this person's come up before, and I believe it was brought to Maxmaps' attention then.

I idly wonder what kind of legal trouble he could cause if he got pissed off/rich enough, if someone GitHub'd his code. :v:

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Couldn't the same idea be accomplished by editing the tech tree entries for the basic capsule, sputnik core, and thermometer? Or does he do other things to make unmanned spaceflight more appealing than the extra science from crew/EVA reports?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

This discussion about this person's come up before, and I believe it was brought to Maxmaps' attention then.

I idly wonder what kind of legal trouble he could cause if he got pissed off/rich enough, if someone GitHub'd his code. :v:

Probably the best people to do that would be Squad themselves, it would be laughable to see him (im assuming american) try to take the mexican IP owner to court over a mod for their game that breaks their own license.
But after what happened to FASA/CGL.. maybe someone in a small european country could do it, and when he bleats loudly via lawyer they can all laugh and reply "you have no power here" ala Pirate Bay.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
The good news is that Mamaps stated simply that Squad won't stand for any mod that fucks with other mods and/or the core of the game in any absolutist or irrevocable way. He didn't say much more about it, but that's just good sense. Right now it's just a tempest in a teacup and Sqaud has every right and ability to put it down swiftly if it gets out of hand.

Honestly I'd say warn people off his mods and go about your business. It's pretty easy not to install it.

See, there, I just not-installed his mod with this one weird trick!

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I think ive screwed up something with those Duna rolling sandstorms.

I had the citylights working with the Astronomer pack, and then added the Duna sandstorms, now the clouds are all different and there are no city lights.

And that thread is a megalithic mess. I'm struggling to decern whats up to date and whats not, is the OP of the Enhanced Environments Volumetric Clouds thread to be trusted?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Being able to respond "Please direct all further correspondence on this matter to our legal department/retained counsel/crack squad of mercenary ambulance chasers" filters out 99% of the bullshit when they realize that any threat that won't cause someone to die of laughter is going to cost them a few hundred dollars in the best case.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Overwined posted:

The good news is that Mamaps stated simply that Squad won't stand for any mod that fucks with other mods and/or the core of the game in any absolutist or irrevocable way. He didn't say much more about it, but that's just good sense. Right now it's just a tempest in a teacup and Sqaud has every right and ability to put it down swiftly if it gets out of hand.

Honestly I'd say warn people off his mods and go about your business. It's pretty easy not to install it.

Yup. At this point there is no reason to do anything but watch and wait for some hilarity to come along. Aggravating the guy wouldn't be doing the community any favors, and if he's as bad as people perceive, he'll end up hoist by his own petard eventually.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

SocketSeven posted:

Yup. At this point there is no reason to do anything but watch and wait for some hilarity to come along. Aggravating the guy wouldn't be doing the community any favors, and if he's as bad as people perceive, he'll end up hoist by his own petard eventually.

Thank you for using my favorite archaic idiom. It's a very funny one. I suggest people look it up to see exactly what it means.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

SocketSeven posted:

Yep! No need to take medicine before getting sick.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Maxmaps posted:

Tell that to vaccines.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Maxmaps posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine

e: gently caress beaten

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Right after I made that post I thought for an instant 'well there's vaccines' and figured nobody would bring that up. Of course I go afk, refresh and there you go.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Overwined posted:

Thank you for using my favorite archaic idiom. It's a very funny one. I suggest people look it up to see exactly what it means.

Heh, I'd never looked that one up before. All of the gameplay in KSP is quite literally hoisting yourself by your own petard.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maxmaps posted:

Right after I made that post I thought for an instant 'well there's vaccines' and figured nobody would bring that up. Of course I go afk, refresh and there you go.

We'll always beat you to the punch. Always.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
I've gone off the deep end with the modding - at least compared to my Vanilla games I have been playing up till now - and one of the mods that I've installed is Kethane. I've sent up three satellites to orbit the Mun and scan for Kethane deposits, but they only scan when I have them focused. Is there any way to have them all scanning at the same time, or does that sort of background scanning not work?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Maxmaps posted:

That said, I would still be all for requiring every mod hosted on the KSP forums or Spaceport to use an OSI-approved license (in other words, allow people to fork your mod). Aside from ousting people who are control freaks about their mods - which, let's not forget, are derivative works - it helps players when mod authors inevitably abandon their mods. With OSI licenses, people can at least resurrect the mod by making a fork.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zhent posted:

I've gone off the deep end with the modding - at least compared to my Vanilla games I have been playing up till now - and one of the mods that I've installed is Kethane. I've sent up three satellites to orbit the Mun and scan for Kethane deposits, but they only scan when I have them focused. Is there any way to have them all scanning at the same time, or does that sort of background scanning not work?

Nope, not with Kethane. Have fun!

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Ciaphas posted:

Nope, not with Kethane. Have fun!

How about a way to just have all planets/moons scanned on start instead of wasting your time?

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Ciaphas posted:

At most, a DMCA takedown which GitHub voluntarily feels like honoring. Well, technically (like in a sort of deliriously ludicrously unlikely technicality sense) he might be able to sue for damages in lost paypal donations, which may run upwards of $10!

Anyway it turns out the source is in fact included with the standard distribution, so yays to that.

Having said that, and I know I keep bugging Maxmaps about this even though he's just trying to keep the peace and I'm almost certainly just coming off as a belligerent rear end in a top hat at this point, I would still say that it is well worth reconsidering a forced-OSS license for addons. I get that the temptation is to say "look, we'd rather have a few mod authors that are somewhat over-entitled and protective dicks than less quality addon work altogether", but the thing is, by allowing these sort of dudes to do their thing you're also effectively preventing an equivalent but better ran and more cooperative addon from even being considered in the first place. You see this in the open source world all the time - really old, really rather shoddy projects get to live for ever and ever because it turns out there are very few things so terrible it's really worth fracturing the userbase over. The KSS addon eco-system is this tender little garden that's still seems young and uncomplicated for now, but all the roots are still just growing deeper and deeper and more intertwined and there can be no argument that it's better to move a few saplings around now than to try and uproot an entire forest a few years down the road.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You can stick multiple kethane detectors on your vessel so you can scan while at 100x speed. It's not so bad because you're only going to really be wanting to land at the equator, anyway, so one ship with a 5 degree inclination and you're good to go for that planet.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Apocadall posted:

How about a way to just have all planets/moons scanned on start instead of wasting your time?

I'm sure there is, but the scan goes by really quite quickly if you put in like 3-4 large scanners on your probe and do your scanning far enough away from the surface that you can time accelerate by a substantial factor. More scanners per craft basically let you "catch" more hexes at high warp. You'll still miss a bunch, but kethane is always deposited in large contiguous fields - you only need to find a single tile inside it.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Oh yeah and do your scan at like 80 degrees inclination, you won't want to setup mining near the poles anyway (due to the extra dV costs).

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Mr. Wynand posted:

Oh yeah and do your scan at like 80 degrees inclination, you won't want to setup mining near the poles anyway (due to the extra dV costs).

SCANsat uses a module that allows for unfocused scanning. Provided something is looking at the scanning network it continues mapping.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just got a probe to Duna without a nuclear engine. I'm almost in disbelief.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

If it can make orbit from Kerbin, it can certainly make orbit from Laythe. Looks like I'm finally going to visit there, as soon as I add a proper electrical system and transport cradle and learn to land it without breaking off the lower engine.

This mission also gave me some new phone wallpaper:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Acquire Currency! posted:

Just got a probe to Duna without a nuclear engine. I'm almost in disbelief.

You can land on and return from Duna using only basic LFEs, basic tanks, decouplers, fuel lines, and some utility parts.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Stanley Kermik Production

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Umbra Dubium posted:

If you ignore the BDSM aspects, yes.
Hey, the BDSM community is pretty chill. :v:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What's the best way to pull the most G's possible? Should I crash into Jool going the opposite direction in it's orbit?

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Met posted:

What's the best way to pull the most G's possible? Should I crash into Jool going the opposite direction in it's orbit?

Plunk yourself straight down through an atmosphere at the highest speed possible. Drop from a dead stop from the edge of Jool's SoI or something.

Alternatively, launch a multistage solid rocket. Once you get into space they really start pounding you back into your seat.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Well got tired of trying to chase asteroids through Kerbin's influence. Only one thing for it, deep space recovery!

Fuel lots of fuel

200 days later..

Making mechjeb give me a maneuver node back to kerbin, this thing is so friggin unwieldy I just wanted to worry about keeping it straight rather than tweaking my 50th maneuver node

Success! For the record, Asteroid science high in orbit above the sun? 60. :smith:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Spaceman Future! posted:

Well got tired of trying to chase asteroids through Kerbin's influence. Only one thing for it, deep space recovery!

Success! For the record, Asteroid science high in orbit above the sun? 60. :smith:

So that confirms Asteroid science is not affected by biome multipliers: it's 60 in both high and low kerbin orbit too.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

Spaceman Future! posted:

True, but you can take asteroid samples 3 times this way - high over sun, high over kerbin, near kerbin = 180. Or more, if you use the Mun/Minmus/land on Kerbin. Still not that much, considering you can get over 4.2k on Minmus with one simple trip, but it's a fun challenge for now.

On the topic of BTSM, I'm preeetty sure Flowerchild has mentioned it was getting tested for FAR compatibility. My BTSM folder had another 30 mods in it that worked fine. The major ones might not, but considering the theme of making you suffer through every tech node, that's kind of understandable. It'd be kind of pointless to install, say, AIES and use its solar panels which have stock values, compared to the BTSM ones which have terrible values. Or any reaction wheels. Which I don't mind all that much, really - just make a separate KSP folder with BTSM.

That said, the mod is very, very annoying (tried it on v1.42). You don't get radial decouplers until you get half the tech tree unlocked, batteries weigh tons - which would be fine if that didn't mean needing 15 different battery parts for a simple mission. Similarly, solar panels aren't available until nearly the end of the tech tree and they're awful and weigh hundreds of kilograms. Getting science is extremely grindy due to life support and electricity limitations (and way more tech nodes which cost thousands of science points). Oh, also? You can only use goo/material bay ONCE. Once you open it up, that's it. No resets. So you'd better know for sure which biome you're in before you do. That particular change also made it impossible to put them on action groups.

I gave up on it after a manned Mun landing and decided it was better starting manned after all. Might not be the case now. Might be worse. It's worth a try nonetheless, but playing it long term seems fit only if you hate yourself and like suffering.

Here's another similar mod - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/73376-ART-Aesthetic-Realistic-TechTree-Mod-RELEASE. Probably not 23.5 compatible and it seems to overwrite the Squad folder though, so you might want to make a backup.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

LeJackal posted:

Well I went and screwed up. I tried to install PartsCatalog and DamnedRobotics, but somewhere in the process I screwed up and now no parts load, at all. Nothing is visible in the VAB, I had popups saying my debris couldn't be loaded, I'm just screwed.

I had this exact same thing happen. What did I do wrong? :saddowns:

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

Wizard of Smart posted:

I had this exact same thing happen. What did I do wrong? :saddowns:

Damned Robotics has been replaced by Infernal Robotics, which is broken until it gets updated for 23.5. I don't think there's any working robotics mod at the moment. :shrug:

You might also try the latest RC release for PartCatalog if you haven't already.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Met posted:

Nah, Jool isn't moving quickly enough. I iamgine you'll be lucky to break 12 km/s.

I hit Kerbin coming in Retrograde from an apoapse of 131 million kilometers and hit the atmosphere at 26 km/s relative. Mechjeb said the aerobraking gees peaked at over 600. Eve probably would have been a better choice for aerobraking gees, but the intention was to get a safe landing after dropping a Kerbal into the sun.

Horrido
Mar 26, 2010

maltesh posted:

Nah, Jool isn't moving quickly enough. I iamgine you'll be lucky to break 12 km/s.

I hit Kerbin coming in Retrograde from an apoapse of 131 million kilometers and hit the atmosphere at 26 km/s relative. Mechjeb said the aerobraking gees peaked at over 600. Eve probably would have been a better choice for aerobraking gees, but the intention was to get a safe landing after dropping a Kerbal into the sun.

Your best bet I think would be slamming into Eve while in a retrograde orbit, with a near hyperbolic sol-orbit.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Troglyfe posted:

Damned Robotics has been replaced by Infernal Robotics, which is broken until it gets updated for 23.5. I don't think there's any working robotics mod at the moment. :shrug:

You might also try the latest RC release for PartCatalog if you haven't already.

Aw man. Oh well.

I've also just installed b9 and I'm trying to make a heavy lifter, but I can't find a cargo Bay part. I can find the tail ramp, and adapters for the bay, but no actual bay part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

Wizard of Smart posted:

Aw man. Oh well.

I've also just installed b9 and I'm trying to make a heavy lifter, but I can't find a cargo Bay part. I can find the tail ramp, and adapters for the bay, but no actual bay part.

The bay parts should be right next to the tail ramps. :confused:

Don't forget the 23.5 patch for B9 if you haven't got it already.

• Locked thread