Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've managed to get a cloning bay in sector 1. So I solved that problem. If I can get upgraded I think I should be alright to make it to the end. Those first few fights for the necessary scrap though were harrowing.

Glad to hear it! I think it's really one of the weakest ships to start off - it's almost totally useless against Zoltans, AI, and anything with a defense drone or strong crew. And if you lose any guys to a missed Heal Bomb or an event, you're basically doomed. So have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Coucho Marx posted:

Glad to hear it! I think it's really one of the weakest ships to start off - it's almost totally useless against Zoltans, AI, and anything with a defense drone or strong crew. And if you lose any guys to a missed Heal Bomb or an event, you're basically doomed. So have fun!

So far in Sector 3. 2nd Engi controlled Sector, by far the most forgiving for boarders, I think. Picked up the DNA bank and a mantis. I still have no real weapons but with the fully upgraded clone bay I don't think it's an issue. Whew.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
I did another Mantis B run to get the C ship and was expecting an easy flagship fight. The first two rounds were fine, the third....well we won and that's what counts. Not pictured are the raging fires in the oxygen, door, and shield rooms that just went out not because I put them out but because they burnt up all the nearby oxygen.

Seriously worst place to have a fire, those oxygen/door rooms in the bottom left. It's like the ship's specially designed weakness.

Felix_Cat fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 9, 2014

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
How sad is it that all my high scores with the zoltan-B are on easy? Took me 5 tries to get out of sector 1 on normal today, I went on to beat the game once I did but man that zoltan-B start is rough.

I do realize that I can fire both ions immediately at the weapons room and the pike beam will be ready to hit just before their shields recharge from 1 ion dmg. And that I can fire 2 more ions at their weapons/drones and have a 3rd ion volley before my 2nd pike beam is up. At least I think I'm managing the weapon timing and beam angles correctly.

There are so many things that can go horribly wrong in sector 1, like running into a ship with a beam drone, mini-beam, and heavy laser where only 1 ion hits on my first volley so they hit me with everything. Or having a solar flare start fires in three different rooms including a double fire in my weapons. One attempt ended when I ran into an unshielded drone ship with cloaking 3, a beam drone, and a BL2. :suicide:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Felix_Cat posted:

I did another Mantis B run to get the C ship and was expecting an easy flagship fight. The first two rounds were fine, the third....well we won and that's what counts. Not pictured are the raging fires in the oxygen, door, and shield rooms that just went out not because I put them out but because they burnt up all the nearby oxygen.

Seriously worst place to have a fire, those oxygen/door rooms in the bottom left. It's like the ships specially designed weakness.

Yeah that and the fed-A win for the award for best failure cascade room layouts. Having doors, oxygen, and the medbay all adjacent as well as 3+ rooms from venting is arguably worse, but at least the fed-A starts with a rockman. The mantis-B medbay is separated and easily vented and that's what counts.... unless you only have mantis crew.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Amazingly enough, I managed to both unlock the federation ship AND beat the flagship just now! making for two flagships I fought through successfully in one game.

First phase it hacked my O2 which WOULD have been a game ender right there but I pumped redundant bars into my systems, O2 being one of them which let me put two pips in there to counteract the hacking. Once that was under control I sent my mantis boarding party to kill the gun arms and just plink the ship down with salvos of 8 shots at a time; two heavy laser I's, a chain laser 4x, and a hull smasher.

The second phase was pretty uneventful but third was bad, I was losing guys to mind control and slipups. I pulled through when their engine room caught fire, allowing me to disable the non-mantised gun arm with my weapons. Then, with one final salvo it was over and I had won my second victory ever in one day.

Cloaking really, really, really helped to weather the worst of it, and for those who haven't beaten the game yet I really really really recommend either cloaking or hacking, at least level two. Teleporting helps ALOT as well.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I just found an event in the slug homeworlds that isn't in any wiki and I googling it turns up nothing - I can't function without spoilers! :negative:

It's an event in slug nebula where you run into a Rock ship that doesn't want to pay for a 'shoddy' reactor upgrade they bought from a slug, and the slug wants him to pay, and you can choose to pay the Rock's debt, demand he pay up, or leave.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I've run into that event a couple of times. Don't think I've ever had anything bad happen if I pay off the debt, the Rockmen usually end up giving me something, even if it's a low amount of scrap. I've never tried demanding they pay up, but I imagine you'd end up fighting them. Nothing bad happens if you leave, of course.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

I just found an event in the slug homeworlds that isn't in any wiki and I googling it turns up nothing - I can't function without spoilers! :negative:

It's an event in slug nebula where you run into a Rock ship that doesn't want to pay for a 'shoddy' reactor upgrade they bought from a slug, and the slug wants him to pay, and you can choose to pay the Rock's debt, demand he pay up, or leave.

I paid the slug and he gave me a free reactor upgrade in exchange.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
I had that event once. I told the Rockmen to pay up, but they still refused - and then their ship exploded. Turns out they were right, it was shoddy work!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
As for me, I got cheated out of a scandalous three scrap - The slugs sold me a reactor upgrade for 14 scrap, so it was 14 for the rock's reactor, 14 for mine, 28. Heh.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Man...this game.

I had an amazing normal Rock A run going (trying to unlock Rock B). I'm getting free stuff left and right, and by the end of sector 1 I'm 2 jumps away from the warp with my 2 starting missile launchers, an ion stunner, a chain laser, and 120 scrap.

I jump to the penultimate point and encounter a ship powering its FTL drives...if it gets away it will warn the fleet! Oh, and it has a Zoltan shield generator drone, which coincidentally regenerates shields just about as quickly as I can sling missiles at it. It jumps away, and now the fleet is on top of me.

First fleet battle, two missiles from the federation ship hit and knock out most of my weapons and all of my cockpit. Federation then proceeds to blow holes in me. The end.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Pulsars seem to be firmly in the class of Some Bullshit. They'll invariably knock out shields, engines and guns on my ship, whereas on the enemy ship they'll maybe knock the Magic Tree off the rear view mirror and their microwave takes a bit longer to do jacket potatoes.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I've won once.. a year or two ago, on an engie A, and I have no idea how I managed, the game just brutally curbstomps me.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

67 games played on normal, still haven't beat the boss. Been to the last sector twice. :suicide:

Edit: And I haven't seen a single Vulcan cannon once in those 67 run throughs, not in a shop or random event or anything. Are they just super rare or do I have the worst luck?

Frankston fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 9, 2014

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

There are many more items now so finding a specific one is probably rarer, even with some shops having two pages.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Frankston posted:

67 games played on normal, still haven't beat the boss. Been to the last sector twice. :suicide:

Edit: And I haven't seen a single Vulcan cannon once in those 67 run throughs, not in a shop or random event or anything. Are they just super rare or do I have the worst luck?

I'm equally terrible.

Even with this still didn't manage to beat the final boss.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Apparently cloning bays won't help if an automated drone jumps with your entire ships crew on board. Good to know.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
God I love the 2 page shops. It was just the worst when you'd get shop after shop of poo poo you don't need when you were near the end.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Slug B has such a slow start. Really you only need 30 scrap and sell your heal burst for 50 scrap needed for medbay.

The upshot of an all-slug ship is you are immune to mind control and don't need sensors at all. But starting with only missiles and boarders early on is rough.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ferrosol posted:

I'm equally terrible.

Even with this still didn't manage to beat the final boss.

Upgrade your pilot to the max every time its possible. Autopilot saves runs.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Flagship was a bit tough, since for some reason between stages it thought the guy I left alive died.

Did you have him mind-controlled when it jumped?

Vengarr posted:

Beating the Flagship is piss-easy if you use the abduction trick to pick off its crew one at a time.

I tried this yesterday. It took forever and they battered down my shields while I was trying it...

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Davincie posted:

Adding to this; each pip on a (sub)system gives the system more effective health before it gets completely knocked out, regardless of how much power is devoted to it. Pilot, as explained in the tooltip, lets your ship dodge without there actually being a person at the helm.

Cometchaser
Oct 20, 2008

Being dead's not so bad

Davincie posted:

This, seriously. I never used to pick up autopilot before unless I just had gobs of scrap to spend by the end game, but now since they buffed the percentage, it's a godsend. Especially since enemy ships with mind control always seem to want to target my pilot first, immediately dropping you to 0 evade if you don't have autopilot.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Cometchaser posted:

This, seriously. I never used to pick up autopilot before unless I just had gobs of scrap to spend by the end game, but now since they buffed the percentage, it's a godsend. Especially since enemy ships with mind control always seem to want to target my pilot first, immediately dropping you to 0 evade if you don't have autopilot.

Wait they buffed the percentage? I never thought it was worth it before at 25%/50%... a whole new world!

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.
There is a random event involving two Engi ships 'colliding'. If you have an Engi crewmember, and ask him to assess the situation, he refuses to go aboard the ships, using "a variety of sound and visual aids" to explain that the two ships are "...forming a union". You loot the surrounding area anyways, "feeling slightly dirty for doing so" :stonk:.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Mindcontrol is hilariously effective in a rock cruiser B game. Set off a fire bomb, wait for your enemies to gather in the burning room trying to put it out, mind control one of them, and watch them killing each other, while burning to death, while their ship burns down.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Rock C is becoming one of my favourite ships. Once you've gotten a teleporter, you barely ever need to use your weapons. And if you do, the crystal shard and swarm missile can easily carry you through the first half of the game. Plus, the layout makes it incredibly easy to kite enemies around and vent fires. It's a pity the Rock Homeworlds still hasn't turned up yet, I haven't seen it in four or five consecutive runs. By contrast, I recruited the Mantis pirate practically every run. That said, I'd prefer to do Rock C runs until the end of time than try to get Rock A and Slug B through the flagship.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there any advantage to going to red sectors?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Red sectors mean more hostile encounters, which potentially mean more scrap. If you're confident in your ship's capabilities, it's actually better to go into as many red sectors as possible, so that you can get more scrap to upgrade your ship. In green sectors there's a chance you might just hit neutral encounters one after the other and waste fuel.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Red sectors are where you basically always want to go if you have a decent (and not severely damaged) ship and a strong boarding team. They're essentially the high-risk, high-reward options, great for raking in a shitload of scrap if you're confident in your ship and crew.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Slug B is such a piece of poo poo. I don't really get how it's a gimmick ship when slugs are by no means good at boarding. Ugh, I just want to unlock slug C. Any tips?

It's actually... kind of good, if you just embrace what it is? Slugs are just as good as human at fight, and you start with the ability to win any boarding action.

Start with your slugs on piloting, engines, and weapons. When your (artemis?) Missile is nearly charged, have your engine and weapon guys crawl over to the teleporter, and beam to somewhere on the other ship.

The ideal situation is, their Pilot Guy leaves his station to help fight off the boarders. If that happens, great; the enemy ship is now evasion-less, and you can heal-bomb your slugmans without risk. Launch the healbomb when your slugs get to maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of their health - don't try to get it at the last possible second to maximize ammo efficiency, you'll probably gently caress up. Two slugs in a two-tile room getting heal-bombed can beat up anyone and everyone. Don't be stingy with your missile/bombs, the extra scrap and loot you'll collect from successfully emptying the ship will more than compensate a little overkill.

If they have a missile or particularly large laser weapon, fire your lil missile at their weapon system to preserve your delicate hull. If they have a medbay or clone bay, fire your lil missile at it as soon as an injured person enters it / clone guy dies.

If the pilot does not leave the helm to engage your slugs, have your slugs meet him up there. While they are fighting the pilot and the enemy ship's evasion is impaired, launch your first missile at the helm. It will hurt your slugs, but who gives a poo poo, you're going to heal bomb them in ~8 seconds anyways.

Keep 50 scrap in reserve and hit up shops to try and find a medical facility. I think the cloning bay works better with boarders+heal bombing, just as a safety net for gently caress-ups, but YMMV.

If you are engaging an auto-drone ship - Slug B is not great at those. Your guys have enough air to L1 teleport -> heal bomb -> teleport back and break some systems. Do not warp over there until you've taken their autopilot out with a missile, lest your heal bomb miss. You're going to need a lot of missiles to break a drone ship, you might be better off retreating.

After getting a healing bay, look for any lovely old laser weapon. Whatever's cheap. You just need some source of non-missile damage for breaking down zoltan shields or finishing off drone ships. (Recommend a missile to the pilot station, boarders+healbombs to lower their shields, laser it the rest of the way) And getting a second shield layer is always a good idea.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 9, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

sfwarlock posted:

Did you have him mind-controlled when it jumped?

Hmm, now that you mention it ya he might have still been under mind control when they jumped. That probably explains it.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

God I love the 2 page shops. It was just the worst when you'd get shop after shop of poo poo you don't need when you were near the end.

And still my Zoltan B run ended in utter failure because I went almost four sectors without finding shops or shops with non-garbage weapons. That was just poo poo luck, I had 600 extra scrap by the time I reached the mothership and nothing to do but increase my survivability delay my obvious failure.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

sfwarlock posted:

I tried this yesterday. It took forever and they battered down my shields while I was trying it...

This really shouldn't happen. You first need to teleport boarders over to kill the missile launcher, ion cannon and beam (in that order). Once you have only the triple laser left, the flagship can't damage you if you have 3 or more shields. Then you pick off all their crew, one at a time, except for the guy manning the triple laser. He's the sacrificial lamb that keeps the ships' AI from taking over.

Once you've killed everyone but him, your boarders can wreck their systems and make them vulnerable.

Phase 2 is easy--teleport boarders to wreck the drone bay and the shields. Either use your cloak or cross your fingers when the drone spam occurs.

Phase 3 is much the same--drain the zoltan shields and send in the boarders. Cloak or pray when the super weapon fires.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

1. The Vulcan is ridiculous. Too bad you can't have two.

2. Found "Reconstructive Teleport", an augmentation which heals your teleporting units to full health whenever you teleport :stare:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I tried the Engie B thinking that it looked awful with 1 crew and slow weapons, managed to beat the flagship due to the first 4 encounters being slavers giving me a full crew. Then I found 3 flak cannons, they really gently caress up the shields.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dreggon posted:

2. Found "Reconstructive Teleport", an augmentation which heals your teleporting units to full health whenever you teleport :stare:
Mantis B with this and a clone bay may have been the easiest run I've ever done.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Dreggon posted:

You sure can! :black101:

Dreggon posted:

Yeah, this is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Dreggon posted:

You can have two. It only costs 4 weapon power.

• Locked thread